Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    99% luck, obviously, but I like it when we use mid-to-late picks on linebackers - who are often good special teamers at least. I'm glad we got him (and Herdman).
    I'd expect both Herdman and Onyeka to make the Argo roster as special teams gunners, and wouldn't be surprised to see them 1-2 in ST tackles this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    99% luck, obviously, but I like it when we use mid-to-late picks on linebackers - who are often good special teamers at least. I'm glad we got him (and Herdman).
    Maybe a little, but there's strategy there too. That's what you get for paying attention. Intuition. Good job, and I hope these guys rock on Teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    What was there about 20 guys picked who weren't on the main list? Augustine didn't get picked. I would rate Popp's picks in lower half of the teams. Which isn't surprising going by his history. He got some good players in the past picking red shirt juniors like Bourke, Perrett, Blake etc. but can't do that anymore. The hope has to be that Woods and Woodson eventually turn into starters.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I don't know anything about his experience, but based on size and speed Evan Foster might do well if converted to MLB. If he has played any LB at all I could see that happening. Otherwise I hope he's a very special special teamer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    If one guy becomes a starter eventually, you've had a good draft. If two or three guys become regulars on special teams for at least two years, you've had a good draft. If one guy becomes a starter immediately, you've had a very good draft (or your incumbent NAT talent is very poor). If two become starters eventually, you've had an exceptionally good draft. If two become starters immediately, you've hit it out of the park (or your incumbent NAT talent is worse than poor).

Based on that (admittedly overly simplistic) formula, I'd say we have a decent chance to have had a good draft. Have to believe my son Mason Woods has starting potential, but probably not this year. We likely got a couple of good STers, and there's at least a chance we get a second starter out of the group eventually. Obviously we won't be able to truly evaluate this draft for 3-4 years (unless they are all busts) but considering our draft position and the belief that it was a thin draft crop, I think we did fairly well.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Have to believe my son Mason Woods has starting potential, but probably not this year.
    Is that true, Paul, or are you yanking our chains?!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    He's not really my son, but Bear is my uncle and Tiger is my cousin.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    He's not really my son, but Bear is my uncle and Tiger is my cousin.
    Mason got your size Paul!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Achievements:

Level
    Consider my chain successfully yanked!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    What was there about 20 guys picked who weren't on the main list? Augustine didn't get picked. I would rate Popp's picks in lower half of the teams. Which isn't surprising going by his history. He got some good players in the past picking red shirt juniors like Bourke, Perrett, Blake etc. but can't do that anymore. The hope has to be that Woods and Woodson eventually turn into starters.

Woods has the masssive O-line size + Div I starting resume = maybe a starter sooner than later but he is behind vets like Holmes, Deane & Dyakowski for a guard spot; they might think with his height/reach he is a potential OT down the road, but doubtful IMO; just like Sackey & Campbell are IMO doubtful to get a real shot to be CFL starting OTs.

Woodson is a CIS all-star D-half with some very good athletic testing #s; very doubtful he gets a real shot to play D-half (where the Argos have huge need but there Canadians just don't get to play in the current GOB CFL) but he will probably be viewed as a future safety who could maybe also be a decent back-up CB or D-half? I'll be very interested to hear where he lines-up in TC.

Evan Foster is sort of a wild-card pick this draft IMO; under-sized maybe at DE but strong & athletic and a real play-maker on D in CIS ball; Joe Montford was an all-time great CFL DE cause he was super strong & quick despite being small compared to most DEs; and Alex Bazzie got plenty of CFL DE playing time as a rush end for Wally in BC and he's same size range as Foster; love to see Foster make the roster and at least get some D reps at DE to see what he can do; bet he can be a force on STs at least to start too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If one guy becomes a starter eventually, you've had a good draft. If two or three guys become regulars on special teams for at least two years, you've had a good draft. If one guy becomes a starter immediately, you've had a very good draft (or your incumbent NAT talent is very poor). If two become starters eventually, you've had an exceptionally good draft. If two become starters immediately, you've hit it out of the park (or your incumbent NAT talent is worse than poor).

Based on that (admittedly overly simplistic) formula, I'd say we have a decent chance to have had a good draft. Have to believe my son Mason Woods has starting potential, but probably not this year. We likely got a couple of good STers, and there's at least a chance we get a second starter out of the group eventually. Obviously we won't be able to truly evaluate this draft for 3-4 years (unless they are all busts) but considering our draft position and the belief that it was a thin draft crop, I think we did fairly well.
    Well there's starters and then there are starters. Some team's starters aren't all that good, so to be successful team's have to draft the best players available. I don't think Popp did that IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Well there's starters and then there are starters. Some team's starters aren't all that good, so to be successful team's have to draft the best players available. I don't think Popp did that IMO.

Amongst Ottawa's key Canadian starters/contributors (i.e not just GOB 7 only) for a GC winning team last year: D-linemen Gascon-Nadon (signed away from the Ticats), Zack Evans (let go by Riders in the expansion draft), Ettore Lattanzio (drafted by Winnipeg but cut after they tried to convert him to a fullback); receiver Sinopoli - exposed by the Stamps in the expansion draft; RB Keenan LaFrance (late round draft pick); H-back Lavoie (expansion draft too i think?) and O-linemen Gott & Deane (expansion draft = let go by other CFL teams).

Ottawa has made some nice draft picks who have become key starters - Connor Williams, Pruneau, Nolan MacMillan, Lauzon-Seguin - but they have also given Canadian talent more opportunity than all other CFL teams last year.

Drafting smart helps lots; so does having lots of respect for Canadian talent that you can acquire as FAs, thru trades or cuts from other teams. Teams are free - in the Canadian Football League - to load up on as many NI players for TC competition as they wish - far as I know anyways; but the typical thinking sees wayyyy more imports in TC and getting to compete for open jobs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Some team's starters aren't all that good, so to be successful team's have to draft the best players available.
    Sorry, but I'm not seeing the connection between the former and the latter. If you are already set at a particular position (as, for instance, the Argos seem to be at centre), why take the best available player if he plays that same position? If you have lousy talent across the board (which we don't), take the player who is best suited to your particular needs.