Closed Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Marcus Ball was an example folks. Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie or Rocket Ismail didn't hurt the Argos. I'd rather that, than spending my time doing research trying to find tidbits on the Argos. Their media coverage has gone to pretty near zero. Saving money on salaries isn't very newsworthy.

TFC is spending $10 million a year on Giovonni. Putting in seats doesn't seem to be a problem in the City of Toronto for that marginal sports franchise..

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Marcus Ball was an example folks. Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie or Rocket Ismail didn't hurt the Argos. I'd rather that, than spending my time doing research trying to find tidbits on the Argos. Their media coverage has gone to pretty near zero. Saving money on salaries isn't very newsworthy.

TFC is spending $10 million a year on Giovonni. Putting in seats doesn't seem to be a problem in the City of Toronto for that marginal sports franchise..
    As I understand it, CFL teams aren't allowed to have "marquee players" anymore. Every player must fit under the cap. Even if it was allowed, I can't imagine a team doing it for someone other than a skill-position player.

Frankly, I don't see how the MLS can sustain their policy of three marquee players per team. Their TV contract is minimal and their ratings are poor. Unless the league has a really rich guy(s) funding it all, it sounds like a Ponzi scheme.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    As I understand it, CFL teams aren't allowed to have "marquee players" anymore. Every player must fit under the cap. Even if it was allowed, I can't imagine a team doing it for someone other than a skill-position player.

Frankly, I don't see how the MLS can sustain their policy of three marquee players per team. Their TV contract is minimal and their ratings are poor. Unless the league has a really rich guy(s) funding it all, it sounds like a Ponzi scheme.
    Last I read, TFC isn't even making any money. But they do have rich owners.

Toronto FC is still losing $9 million a year, according to Forbes’ operating income estimates for 2015.

President Manning wouldn’t speak to that number specifically, but did acknowledge the club made some large investments in players — strikers Sebastian Giovinco and Jozy Altidore and midfielder Michael Bradley are three of the highest paid athletes in the league — and BMO Field recently.

“I believe that all those investments are actually going to pay off as our business and revenues are growing,” he said. “That’s how the organization is looking at it.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Last I read, TFC isn't making any money.
    Neither is Amazon for that matter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Neither is Amazon for that matter.
    Amazon just turned a profit for the eighth straight quarter
    https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/154...ash-flow-chart

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Amazon just turned a profit for the eighth straight quarter
    https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/154...ash-flow-chart
    I do stand corrected. Just goes to show how up-to-date I am on the FANG stocks. And AMZN hit $963 in my absence too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie didn't help the Argos anywhere except on the field. Their attendance those two years, with arguably the greatest player and greatest team in CFL history, was in the 17,000-18,000 range. Five years later they were on the brink of bankruptcy.

Writing a big cheque to Rocket Ismail helped for one year, then all the value faded away.

Quick fixes don't work and are not needed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie didn't help the Argos anywhere except on the field. Their attendance those two years, with arguably the greatest player and greatest team in CFL history, was in the 17,000-18,000 range. Five years later they were on the brink of bankruptcy.

Writing a big cheque to Rocket Ismail helped for one year, then all the value faded away.

Quick fixes don't work and are not needed.

only work if they keep signing the #1 pick in NFL draft to 1 year deal. Then sign the next #1 pick to 1 year deal, and so on and so on.