Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Amazon just turned a profit for the eighth straight quarter
    https://www.recode.net/2017/4/27/154...ash-flow-chart
    I do stand corrected. Just goes to show how up-to-date I am on the FANG stocks. And AMZN hit $963 in my absence too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Marcus Ball was an example folks. Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie or Rocket Ismail didn't hurt the Argos. I'd rather that, than spending my time doing research trying to find tidbits on the Argos. Their media coverage has gone to pretty near zero. Saving money on salaries isn't very newsworthy.

TFC is spending $10 million a year on Giovonni. Putting in seats doesn't seem to be a problem in the City of Toronto for that marginal sports franchise..
    Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie didn't help the Argos anywhere except on the field. Their attendance those two years, with arguably the greatest player and greatest team in CFL history, was in the 17,000-18,000 range. Five years later they were on the brink of bankruptcy.

Writing a big cheque to Rocket Ismail helped for one year, then all the value faded away.

Quick fixes don't work and are not needed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Blowing up the salary cap is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A team that goes over the salary cap one year has that much less to play with the following. Furthermore, all contracts need to get certified by the league before a team can actually use a player. This will not happen. But that's ok 71. Keep on ragging on the team.
    Nope, you're wrong there. I'm pretty sure you've heard worse ideas from me.

By the way AngeloV, have you ever offered a constructive idea for a solution to the obvious problems. Or do you just fiddle while Rome burns? There's more than a few in this forum who are quick to point out the shortcomings of solutions offered, by strangely offer nothing. All is "Tickety Boo" with the organization past, present and future, right?

Make sure you don't stick your head out. Someone might know what you're really thinking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And why not start a new thread " All is fine with the model franchise - no input or suggestions are welcome!"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Or we could stop lodging personal attacks on those we don't agree with.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Writing a big cheque to Doug Flutie didn't help the Argos anywhere except on the field. Their attendance those two years, with arguably the greatest player and greatest team in CFL history, was in the 17,000-18,000 range. Five years later they were on the brink of bankruptcy.

Writing a big cheque to Rocket Ismail helped for one year, then all the value faded away.

Quick fixes don't work and are not needed.

only work if they keep signing the #1 pick in NFL draft to 1 year deal. Then sign the next #1 pick to 1 year deal, and so on and so on.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It's true that the board can sometimes be dismissive of unconventional ideas... but this one deserves to be dismissed, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I suspect Marcus Ball would not be the same player he was during his first tenure in Toronto.
    Worth a look perhaps but only at the right price$$.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I am not sure how signing a former All Star CFL Linebacker (who went South for a few years) constitutes as unconventional to be honest? He's still under 30. And how on Gods green earth is he anywhere near the likes of a Rocket or a Flutie in terms of a signing? There would be no blowing up the salary cap on Marcus Ball. Puzzling thread, especially considering that TC is the time to gather 75 of the best players you can possibly get your hands on. The salary cap is not even an issue until the roster is declared, and then you play money ball.

Why wouldn't you want him here? Are you paying him yourself or something? Weird to me. You just cut him if he can't make it.

Speaking of money ball, considering the Argo's ditched all their national LB's and don't have a MLB of reputation, they should add some money here. Also, one of the most expensive positions on the team, Left Tackle, is costing them minimally at this point.

There would be nothing to loose in a signing of this magnitude.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Have another look at this post, Jon. We'd all like to have MB in camp, but...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Have another look at this post, Jon. We'd all like to have MB in camp, but...
    Yes, I agree he wouldn't be getting big money at this stage. Maybe he's even thinking about hanging them up at this stage?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Nope, you're wrong there. I'm pretty sure you've heard worse ideas from me.

By the way AngeloV, have you ever offered a constructive idea for a solution to the obvious problems. Or do you just fiddle while Rome burns? There's more than a few in this forum who are quick to point out the shortcomings of solutions offered, by strangely offer nothing. All is "Tickety Boo" with the organization past, present and future, right?

Make sure you don't stick your head out. Someone might know what you're really thinking.
    Well maybe you can shed your wisdom at the town hall. You go on a website called ARGOFANS and do nothing but slag the team. What if a new fan came on here and read all the crap that you post, and was influenced into thinking this team isn't worth supporting from what they've been reading. How is that helping the team that you claim to love? The more I see this, the more I understand why Lori Bursey pulled the forum off of the FOA website.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well maybe you can shed your wisdom at the town hall. You go on a website called ARGOFANS and do nothing but slag the team. What if a new fan came on here and read all the crap that you post, and was influenced into thinking this team isn't worth supporting from what they've been reading. How is that helping the team that you claim to love? The more I see this, the more I understand why Lori Bursey pulled the forum off of the FOA website.
    Lori Bursey has a different mandate with the "Friends of the Argos," as is her right. This is open, frank talk from Argonaut fans; or at least I thought it was? This is the stuff my dad and I discuss every phone call -- all year long (; If this site is not about open, free discussion about this Football Team, please let me know, cos then I'll run along.

Otherwise the FOA may have a website that is better sited to one or two people here who seem to suffer from peptic agita every-time someone has the gall to ask for a little more. I mean we are talking about a team that has won only 23 times in 3 seasons (with two Playoff misses) are we not?

I would think that a fan board would reflect and should reflect that, unless of course you desire the FOA's route? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, well, well. This season is turning out to be very interesting! Marcus Ball was very popular with fans during his time. I look forward to see what he looks like on Sunday. Shrewd move by Jim Popp.

Add to the reversal of live radio broadcasts today, lots to get excited about for Argos fans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I call this great news. Not to be unconventional, or dismissive but I sure hope we didn't 'blow up the salary cap.' Hey, if he has 'NFL-itis' its not like he can't be cut. This may well be one of the most important of the off season. This thread should be pinned as an example of who starts what; how they start it, and why it gets continued. If nothing is learned, then I don't care what team they are a fan of.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Call me very surprised about this. I sure hope he proves me wrong and comes in to be the same player he was in 2012-13.

Does this move Rico Murray into the secondary if it works out?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Seems to me that Rico Murray should be able to play HB. Just a hunch - I think Johnny Sears might be in tough to stick.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Seems to me that Rico Murray should be able to play HB. Just a hunch - I think Johnny Sears might be in tough to stick.
    Sears is listed as the DB and Murray as the LB. If Murray can move to HB, it's quite possible that they can both start at half in the secondary. Question is, which one would play the tougher spot of boundary HB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have some honest questions for you since I've never understood this leaf fan type of mentality.

Do you think that fans should never question the team that they cheer for?

Are we only to praise everything that the team does?

We finished dead last, last season and traded away the first overall pick. If we can't be critical of the team after a season like that when would it be acceptable to be critical?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I have some honest questions for you since I've never understood this leaf fan type of mentality.

Do you think that fans should never question the team that they cheer for?

Are we only to praise everything that the team does?

We finished dead last, last season and traded away the first overall pick. If we can't be critical of the team after a season like that when would it be acceptable to be critical?
    Explained my feelings a while ago, and have not been involved in any mud slinging on here since before the town hall, but if you need me to refresh your memory, I posted on this site a couple of weeks ago that I have no issue with constructive criticism, but IMO it was WAY OVER THE TOP, and WAY TOO EARLY to determine the fate of the team. It was February. Lots can happen, and has happened between then and the start of the season. Just like in the same way, you don't see me declaring the team the early favourites to go to the Grey Cup based on some news perceived as positive around here.

Comments like "I think maybe I'll just go to all the road games and not the home games" Annoyed the F out of me. That's the comments from a fan? Support the bottom line of the rest of the league, but not the team you supposedly cheer?

I realize that was a sarcastic comment, but I'm just using it as an example.

Anyway, that's all I will say about this subject going forward. I've decided to stop being so confrontational around here. I'm just going continue to support my team, win or lose. No reason to change that philosophy now. Never been one to jump on or off a bandwagon.