Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

CFL Draft Day

With the NFL signings of Canadian players mostly completed, the CFL Draft Day picture is becoming clearer as to who will be drafted early and who will be drafted later relative to their prospect ranking. Ed Tait discusses how the NFL signings might impact Bomber draft choices, which will of course also affect other teams' draft choices, including the Argos.

Some of the best Canadian talent was gobbled up on the weekend – the top three prospects according to the final CFL Scouting Bureau were either drafted or signed as priority free agents – but Walters was staring at the names on his draft board and still seeing some talented and intriguing names. ...
    The top-ranked player in the CFL Draft, Mississippi State offensive lineman Justin Senior, was the lone Canadian drafted after being selected in the sixth round by the Seattle Seahawks. ...

Not long after the NFL Draft ended, the Houston Texans signed UCLA defensive tackle Eli Ankou, ranked second; third-ranked University of Manitoba Bisons guard Geoff Gray agreed to a new deal with the Green Bay Packers, while Laval slotback/tight end Antony Auclair, ranked seventh, was gobbled up by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Those three, as priority free agents, will get long looks by their NFL clubs at main training camps this summer and could either crack the lineup or stick around on the practice roster.
    A number of CFL Draft prospects have also earned invitations to NFL mini-camps, but they will remain longshots to actually stick around for main training camp. ....

A look at some of the Canadian Football League Draft prospects who have signed or drawn interest in the NFL and how it might impact the Bombers:
    DRAFTED

• OL Justin Senior, Mississippi State

Selected by Seattle Seahawks in the sixth round, 210th overall.
    CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 1
    What it means to the Bombers: No surprise whatsoever he was drafted. He’s been atop the CFL rankings for a year, but the NFL interest meant he was likely never really on the Bombers radar screen.

PRIORITY FREE AGENTS

• DL Eli Ankou, UCLA

Signed by Houston Texans
    CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 2
    What it means to the Bombers: Defensive tackle is an area the club is likely targeting, but Ankou weighed in at 331 pounds for his pro day. He’d have to shed some weight if he comes north to the CFL, but is a risky pick early in the draft.

• OL Geoff Gray, Manitoba

Signed by Green Bay Packers
    CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 3
    What it means to the Bombers: His showing at his pro day increased interest in the NFL. The three-year deal the Winnipeg product signed with the Pack and his athleticism means CFL teams might not see him for awhile, if ever.

• SB/TE Antony Auclair, Laval

Signed by Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 7
    What it means to the Bombers: He’s a massive receiver at 6-5, 254 pounds – perfect for playing the tight end in the NFL, but posing an interesting question for CFL teams: does he have the speed to play slotback or would he be better suited to play fullback?

MINI-CAMP INVITES

The Bombers believe most, if not all, of the mini-camp invitees will find their way to CFL training camps in late May.
    • LB Christophe Mulumba, Maine; Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 6
    • DE Kwaku Boateng, Wilfrid Laurier; Chicago Bears
      CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: 12
    • LB Jordan Herdman, Simon Fraser; Kansas City Chiefs
      CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: NR
    • REC Alex Morrison, UBC; New York Giants
      CFL Scouting Bureau Ranking: NR
    • K Felix Menard-Briere, Montreal; New York Giants
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/0...oming-clearer/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    As CFL Draft Day rapidly approaches, Ed Tait also uses the recent Winnipeg Blue Bombers drafts to illustrate how important it is in building a successful team, including the team's current 14 Winnipeg draftees, all but one of whom were drafted since 2014.

“Canadians are like gold, Americans silver” – has long been a commandment in the Canadian Football League when it comes to piecing together a roster.
    It’s a mantra certainly meant as no slight to the many great Americans who have ventured north to star in this quirky three-down league.
    But when the rules dictate that almost half a roster be comprised of homegrowns – the 44-man lineup includes three quarterbacks, 21 Canadians and 20 imports – teams that don’t have a foundation of players from the true north strong and free are doomed to fail.
    Winnipeg Blue Bomber fans have seen both ends of this spectrum, from the championship teams of the Glory Years of 1958-62 or the successes in the 1980s/early 1990s to the troubles that plagued this franchise before the current regime took control.
    This Sunday’s CFL Draft puts the importance of Canadian talent in the spotlight once again. Now, while the draft isn’t the be-all and end-all in stocking the cupboards with Canadians – free agency and trades are still huge methods of landing help – franchises that whiff on their picks are often spectators in late November. ...

The Bombers have nailed their last three drafts, with 13 of 20 selections currently on the roster, including starting center Matthias Goossen, guard Sukh Chungh and safety Taylor Loffler. It’s all been part of a roster makeover, particularly with the Canadian talent, that GM Kyle Walters & Co. have undertaken since being handed the keys to the football ops department.
    Consider this: only one Canadian – defensive tackle Jake Thomas – remains from the group that finished up the 2013 season. Granted, every CFL team undergoes significant turnover from year to year, but that’s a telling fact that might best represent the Bombers’ rebuild.
    http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/05/0...ncy-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Hamilton HC Kent Austin thinks the 2017 CFL Draft will yield a lot of talented players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    O’LEARY: DRAFT PREPARATION DIFFERENT FOR EACH CFL TEAM SAY (GMS CFL.CA)

As they inch toward Sunday’s CFL Draft, Brock Sunderland and Jim Popp do so from different vantage points.

Both are first-year general managers with the Edmonton Eskimos and Toronto Argonauts, respectively, but Popp’s seen a few more drafts than Sunderland.

“This is my 26th year in the league, so this is my 24th as a GM in the draft,” Popp said earlier this week.

Sunderland was hired by the Eskimos on April 24, giving him less than two weeks to get ready for his first draft in his new role. The experience isn’t a new one for him, though. In time spent with the Montreal Alouettes in scouting, then as assistant GM of the Ottawa REDBLACKS the last four seasons, he’s been through this process seven times.

From the outside, that process seems like a very difficult one to navigate. The CFL draft is unique, of course, in that teams are only selecting players that are eligible to play under the national status. In other sports, fans and scouts alike can look to the best of the college or amateur ranks, or around the world and make safe assumptions on who the top picks will be. The scope is more specific in the CFL, the prospects often not easily accessible on TV. Scouting needs to be invested in and active.

“I don’t know if I can compare it. I think all the drafts are different to be honest,” Popp said.

“We still start out, the NFL draft is open to everybody. When we start our draft, you’re sometimes between 800 and 1000 kids that you start out with and you narrow it down. (The CFL will) draft 71 of them this year.”

To Sunderland, a draft is a draft.

“(All drafts are) a subjective industry,” he said. “You’re dealing with people, so there’s no exact science. I don’t think it’s any more difficult than the NFL draft and I’ve been in both.

“The only difference is the players who are with an NFL team now, either being drafted or as an un-drafted free agent who signed or had a minicamp workout, thats the only variable. The truth is, this is not an exact science and (a draft), that’s based on opinion and it’s people. It’s human nature. You never know how things are going to play out with how a person is going to fit in with a certain culture, so on and so forth.”

The human element factors in with those making the picks, too. GMs and their staffs work tirelessly in the months leading up to the draft to explore every option of a draft, but things can always catch you by surprise.

“Things always happen,” Sunderland said. “Teams will take players much earlier or higher than we have them valued and vice versa. I’m sure we’ll take players where other teams will go, ‘Oh my gosh, they took him there.’ That’s the surprise, but if you’re well prepared there never should be a knee jerk oh-my-gosh-what-do-we-do-here moment. That just speaks to ill preparation.”

Trades can come out of nowhere, Popp said, but it’s about being prepared and making adjustments.

MORE ON THE CFL DRAFT
    » Ferguson, Forde tackle the draft’s burning questions
    » Breaking down the draft’s top 20 prospects
    » Mock Drafts: 1.0 | 2.0

“I’ve been (in drafts) where the morning of the draft a trade occurs, or you get a call within 10 minutes of your first pick and it changes the course of things,” he said.

“It becomes chaotic, yes. That being said, we’ve already gone through our draft list, we’ve fine-tooth-combed it and we continue to do that all the way up to our pick.”

Both GMs and their staffs rank their top-71 players and adjust their lists as the draft progresses.

“You’ve got to be prepared and you’ve got to have a plan,” Popp said. “My theory is to always take the best player up to a certain point and then sometimes you’ll take by need, or a combination of that.”

“It’s always value. I always believe in taking the best possible player,” Sunderland said. “Your needs could change with an injury or a potential trade or all of the above. You’re never wrong when you take the best player.

“I think when you go for need you reach sometimes. If you take a player at less value at a higher position, that skews your roster. I’ve never seen good come from that.”

Draft No. 24 as a GM will be different only in location for Popp. For Sunderland, it’ll be a long-anticipated first, getting the final say on picks.

“I’m very excited,” he said. “In Ottawa Marcel (Desjardins) was very open to thoughts and suggestions. He certainly had the final call but I feel like I had a big say in that draft room. It’ll be a little different having the final, final say, but the process will remain the same and the approach will be very similar to what I’ve done in the past. I’m just excited and happy to get that opportunity to be in that seat.”

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While the BC Lions have the 3rd, 7th and 16th overall draft picks, they, like other CFL teams, face the problem that "too good usually means too bad for CFL teams scouting college talent", according to Ed Willes, making it difficult who to draft and when.

In late February, B.C. Lions director of football ops Neil McEvoy took in Justin Senior’s pro day at Mississippi State and fell in love with the offensive tackle from Montreal. This was not a good thing. McEvoy was hoping to see a player the Lions would take in the first round of the Canadian Football League draft. Instead, he saw a player who was destined for that other league south of the border. Senior, a 6-5, 331-pound offensive lineman should be the first player taken in Sunday’s CFL draft but the Seattle Seahawks have already invested a sixth-round draft pick in him which alters his draft-day value considerably. “I liked him,” McEvoy recounts. “Then I saw his pro day and thought I don’t like him anymore. He’s just too good. When you see a player like him you think there’s no way. The NFL is going to take him." Which means Senior might as well be a 331-pound receiver for all the good he'll do a CFL team.
    Talent, to be sure is a consideration, but other factors creep into the equation — most notably the allure of the NFL.
    As it happens, there are a handful of players at the top of this year’s draft — University of Manitoba offensive lineman Geoff Gray, Laval tight end Anthony Auclair, UCLA defensive lineman Eli Ankou — who are headed south on free-agent tryouts which means the Lions and others won’t be targeting the best available player but rather the best player who’ll make himself available to their team.
    “You’ve got to project these guys,” says McEvoy. “How long are their NFL careers going to last? Are they going to make an NFL team this season? You hope it’s forever but that doesn’t help us.”
    To reinforce the point, McEvoy says the Lions make two lists: an early one which ranks the players by ability and a later master list which factors in their availability. Suffice to say the two lists are pretty different.
    The Lions, therefore, are realistic about their chances of landing a game-changer with either of their two first-rounders. They hope to add depth at the traditional Canadian positions: offensive line, receiver, running back and the secondary and landing a starter would be found-money.
    But the more likely case is bringing in an athlete who can learn his craft and be moulded into a productive player.
    Last year, for example, the Lions took Laval offensive lineman Charles Vaillancourt with the fifth pick of the first round. Vaillancourt started some games but was the Leos’ sixth offensive linemen for most of the season. He projects as a starter down the road.
    In the CFL draft, that represents a home run.
    McEvoy has been assessing Canadian talent since the late ’90s and, like everyone connected with the CFL, he’s witnessed a pronounced upgrade in the quality of homegrown talent. That’s represented by the number of Canucks playing in NCAA schools. But it’s also seen in the players coming out of CIS schools.
    This year Gray has signed a free-agent deal with the Green Bay Packers. The Lions will be taking a long look at Danny Vendervoort from McMaster and Nate Behar from Carleton, the two top receivers on the board. They’re also thought to be high on Junior Luke, a 6-2, 290-pound defensive lineman from the University of Montreal.
    Mason Woods, a 6-9, 320-pound offensive lineman from Idaho by way of Port Coquitlam, Dariusz Bladek, an offensive lineman from Bethune-Cookman, and Faith Ekatitie, a 6-3, 290-pound defensive tackle from Idaho are the other names at the top of most boards.
    “The individual players who are at CIS schools compare to the guys who play in the States,” says McEvoy. “The CIS schools have great athletes coming out now.”
    Which wasn’t always the case. McEvoy remembers earlier combines where you could count on some prospect getting pinned by the bar when they were bench pressing 225 pounds. Lions GM Wally Buono, meanwhile, goes back even farther and says you don’t have to be a supreme talent scout to notice how the players have changed.
    “It’s the eyeball test,” says Buono. “When you go to the combines, the defensive linemen looked like professional defensive linemen and the offensive linemen looked like professional offensive linemen. In the old days, you’d see guys that were this high (holding his hand at shoulder height).”
    But look at the bright side. At least the NFL wasn’t interested in those guys.
    http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...playing-in-cfl

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is Marshall Ferguson's Mock Draft 3.0

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    GM Kavis Reed is optimistic about the Alouettes' draft prospects, although the team does not have a first round pick, as they traded it away like the Argos. Two of the prospects that Reed is most interested in are Americans eligible for the draft, because of Canadian citizenship obtained through Canadian parents: Cameron Judge and Randy Colling.

It likely will be with a twinge of resentment and anxiety come Sunday night when Kavis Reed — suddenly with time on his hands — sits back and listens for which player British Columbia selects third overall in the Canadian college draft.
    “It’s going to be difficult, but the reality is we don’t have that pick,” the Alouettes’ general manager admitted. “I’d be lying if I said we haven’t thought (what would happen) if we had this pick. That’s human nature.”
    The Canadian Football League’s annual draft, consisting of eight rounds, goes Sunday night (7 p.m., TSN, RDS). Although the Als have eight selections, they don’t own a first-round pick. Former GM Jim Popp traded it to the Lions last May for the rights to quarterback Vernon Adams. Montreal missed the playoffs with a 7-11 record, meaning B.C. selects third overall.
    This marks the first time since 2012 — and only the third time since the franchise was resurrected in 1996 — the Als haven’t had a first-round pick.
    While Reed suggests there’s enough depth for the Als to get a good player with their first choice, 12th overall in the second round, don’t be surprised if Montreal swings a trade to secure an earlier pick. Indeed, according to a source, the Als will entertain that option to select Carleton receiver Nate Behar, although he’s a relatively modest 5-foot-11 and 204 pounds. ...

Many believe Behar is one of the top two eligible receivers. Although his ranking among the CFL’s scouting bureau inexplicably dropped throughout the season, he was a first-team all-Canadian and Ravens team captain.
    Should Reed be seeking a dance partner for a trade, Winnipeg and B.C. have two picks in the opening round. The Blue Bombers have the first overall choice via a trade with Toronto for quarterback Drew Willy. Winnipeg’s expected to select Faith Ekakitie, a defensive lineman who played at Iowa.
    While some GMs seek character in prospects, Reed’s more concerned about how a player will fit into the Als’ scheme.
    “There’s never going to be the perfect player,” Reed said. “Where can the coaches take a player? Do they have certain qualities the coaches are looking for? If they’re deficient in certain areas, can they be coached up to the next level?”
    Reed said he’s looking to fortify the team’s linebacking corps, especially seeking someone who can play on special teams. He’d also like to add a defensive back through the draft and always has his eye on offensive linemen.
    One linebacker who has flown under the radar is Cameron Judge, who was born in Montreal but qualifies as a non-import although his family moved to California and he played at UCLA. The 6-foot-2, 235-pounder is considered an explosive athlete. Although he didn’t play much on special teams due to the Bruins’ depth, he was used extensively on special teams.
    Another potential pick in the second round could be Randy Colling, a 6-foot-5, 320-pound defensive tackle originally from Hamilton who played at Gannon, a Division II university in Erie, Pa. Colling, about to turn 27, has been playing in the Arena League where one of his teammates, Brian Brikowski, is a former Alouette.
    “All of our preparation pretty much has been we’re picking 12th overall,” Reed said. “We make our scenarios based on that reality.
    “But if we need to move a few spots up, we’re prepared to make offers to do that. There’s enough depth that we’re going to get a very good player at 12, we believe.”
    Two of the leading defensive backs are considered to be Calgary’s Robert Woodson and Dondre Wright, who played at Henderson State. While Woodson’s a traditional safety, considered athletic and fast, Wright is more suited to playing in the box, as a linebacker, which would suit defensive coordinator Noel Thorpe’s scheme.
    The top three rated players, according to the CFL, are all headed to the NFL and will likely be selected in the middle to later rounds on Sunday. Montreal’s Justin Senior, an offensive tackle from Mississippi State, was selected by Seattle in the sixth round. Eli Ankou, a UCLA defensive lineman, signed a priority undrafted-free-agent deal with Houston, while Geoff Gray, an offensive lineman from Manitoba, did likewise with Green Bay.
    Laval tight-end Antony Auclair, ranked seventh by the CFL, signed with Tampa Bay.
    “The NFL got it right in terms of who the best guys are. Those are the elite guys,” said TSN analyst Duane Forde. “It’ll be interesting to see where those guys fall. They all have a pretty good chance of sticking there for at least a year.”
    While the draft’s deep in offensive linemen and defensive tackles, it’s considered more top-heavy. Next year’s crop is likely better.
    “Nine CFL teams could all have different boards with their top 30 prospects,” Forde said. “There will be more variation. There are guys some teams see as high first-rounders that other teams see as fourth-rounders, and vice versa.”
    http://montrealgazette.com/sports/gm...raft-prospects

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    American QB Bo Levi Mitchell believes the CFL Draft is critical to a team's success in the league.

Don’t go telling Bo Levi Mitchell, the Calgary Stampeders’ quarterback out of Katy, Texas, that Sunday’s draft lacks drama and intrigue.
    To Mitchell, the CFL draft provides the foundation for all nine teams. Draft well and reap the rewards. Select poorly and watch the losses mount.
    “The best coaches and general managers in this league know that you’re only going to go as far as your Canadian depth,” said Mitchell, the CFL’s most outstanding player “Because injuries are just what we sign up for. They’re part of the business.”

When an American player goes down – outside of a starting quarterback or all-star at another position – a capable replacement can usually be found either on the practice roster or via the negotiation list. The U.S. is full of outstanding football players with college experience who are not employed by the NFL.
    In Canada, however, professional-calibre depth is an issue. And with CFL teams forced to dress at least 21 nationals in every game, the need for homegrown talent cannot be understated.
    “If your second and third-string guys are not up to par — or they’re not where they need to be – your team is going to feel that,” Mitchell said. “Our coaches really focus on the draft to try and find some studs – and maybe even diamonds in the rough that we can develop.
    “I think that’s one of our biggest blessings.”
    The Stampeders went 15-2-1 last season with a team stacked with quality Canadian talent. Heading into the 2017 campaign, the roster includes whopping 27 CFL draftees with 21 of those being Stampeder picks.
    Punter Rob Maver, receiver Anthony Parker, centre Pierre Lavertu and linebacker Alex Singleton are all standout first-round picks. But the CFL draft is nothing like the NHL draft where first-rounders historically have a great deal more success than those players picked on Day 2.
    The CFL draft is muddied by the fact some prospects are already under contract or planning to try out in the NFL. And it’s not rare in the CFL for a second or third-rounder to outshine someone picked way before him.
    Remember: the Stamps selected retired running back Jon Cornish – perhaps the best Canadian player of a generation – in the second round (16th overall) of the 2006 CFL Draft.
    “I’ll probably be tweeting about it and just finding out who we get and welcoming the guys to the team and everything,” Mitchell said of the 2017 draft which starts Sunday at 5 p.m. “I’m definitely excited to find out what kind of talent we find.”
    Barring a trade — and general manager John Hufnagel is known for wheeling and dealing on draft day — the Stamps have nine picks. Their first selection comes near the end of the first round at eighth overall.
    Given the recent injury trouble on the offensive line, odds are the Stamps will pick one of the big guys in the first round. The need is clear and this draft — while a bit light on top-end talent — features a good crop of offensive linemen with the potential to start after a year or so of seasoning.
    “I have a history and like to draft offensive linemen,” Hufnagel says. “We’ll draft an offensive lineman or two somewhere in the draft.
    “Obviously, we want to pick the best player that’s on the board, but we also have an eye on our needs and our priorities. I always say you need some good fortune during the draft to have a good draft.

“Hopefully, that holds true on Sunday.”
    Short yardage: The status of Stamps all-star defensive back Tommie Campbell is still in question due to legal issues in connection with his arrest in January on drug charges in Pennsylvania. Campbell announced on Twitter last month that all the charges have been dropped, but Postmedia has been unable to independently confirm that assertion. “I’m optimistic that things will work out and that Tommie will be at training camp,” says Hufnagel, noting the CFL club is in contact on the matter with Campbell’s lawyer.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foot...r-winning-team

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Ottawa Redblacks will be drafting just ahead of the Argos. Ottawa sports journalists comment on what Ottawa might do, which may affect Toronto's choice.

The Ottawa REDBLACKS are set to make the ninth overall selection in Sunday’s CFL Draft.
    With the club and defending Grey Cup Champions heading into its fourth season in the league, General Manager Marcel Desjardins and his team will be looking to turn that first pick this year into the next Nolan MacMillan, Antoine Pruneau, Alex Mateas or Jason Lauzon-Séguin, all of whom were drafted in the first round by Ottawa.
    The CFL draft is notorious for being full of surprises, particularly once you get beyond the first round, and more of that should be expected this year.
    “The one guarantee about the CFL Draft is you never know exactly what to expect and there is often surprise after surprise,” said Le Droit’s Martin Comtois, one of the REDBLACKS beat writers.
    While it’s hard to gauge who will be on the board in the ninth spot that fits into Ottawa’s long-term plans, Comtois says the club has been consistent in its draft day performances to date.
    “From Day One, they have always managed to draft well,” he said, adding the team “pulled a rabbit out of its hat” when they selected Pruneau with their first pick in 2014.
    What you may not see this time around, said Comtois, is a first-round REDBLACKS pick that jumps right into the starting lineup in 2017. Unlike earlier years, the club has depth at all positions and can now look a bit more towards the future.
    “They’ve got the luxury of not having to draft someone who needs to start right away,” said Comtois.
    For his part, Postmedia reporter and REDBLACKS beat writer Tim Baines says he could see the team going after a defensive lineman this time around.
    “If there’s an offensive lineman there (in the ninth spot) they will take a close look, but I think they’re really going to look at what is a pretty deep defensive lineman class,” said Baines.
    Though Ottawa has a great stable of offensive linemen, they have had success drafting at the position before and will have to fill the whole vacated by J’Micheal Deane.
    “You can never have enough depth on the O-line,” Baines points out.
    http://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2017/...t-goes-sunday/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below is a primer on tomorrow's CFL Draft by CFL.ca.

http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/05/p...017-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The article below analyzes what Edmonton might do with the fifth overall pick.

The 2017 CFL Draft is set for Sunday at 5 p.m. The Edmonton Eskimos currently have the fifth overall selection and seven selections in total (14th, 22nd, 31st, 40th, 41st, 49th, 67th overall).
    If there’s one word to describe the CFL Draft it would be unpredictable. ...

There are still good players left in the draft class which many CFL observers are calling “top heavy.”
    Eskimos General Manager and Vice-President of Football Operations Brock Sunderland has been involved in many CFL Drafts during his time with the Montreal Alouettes and the Ottawa RedBlacks. He says it’s hard to handicap a draft class.
    “It’s my belief you don’t know for three years,” Sunderland said.
    “People always say: is this year good? Well, I’ll tell you in three years, because Dave Stala was a sixth-round pick and ended being a hell of a football player. Is it a good draft? Yeah. My belief is this is that, in personnel, no matter what the crop is, whether it’s overly talented or lacking talent, our job is to find good football players. So I don’t worry about this compares to other drafts because the focus is always on this year’s crop.” ...

So who might be available for the Eskimos at the fifth overall selection?
    The offensive line crop isn’t very deep this year but two names stand out in Idaho’s Mason Woods and Dariuz Bladek from Bethune-Cookman. Woods has fallen off since the CFL combine in March while Bladek, a dual-citizen has risen in draft ranking despite not playing football in a year after being passed over in the 2016 NFL draft. Either could provide depth at the guard positions. The Eskimos still have some decent depth at O-line and could find a gem later in the draft in McGill’s Qadr Spooner or Calgary’s Braden Schram. ....

The receiver group is deep with Danny Vandervoort and Carleton’s Nate Behar topping the list. Vandervoort was the best receiver at the combine while Behar is a physical specimen who could contribute on special teams right away. Like the offensive line the Eskimos have some depth at receiver even with the retirement of Nate Coehoorn. They will likely have some options in later rounds with Saskatchewan’s Julan Lynch, Alex Morrison and Mitchell Picton. Carleton’s Malcolm Carter is hard to miss at six foot six.
    The group of defensive backs are led by Calgary’s Robert Woodson and Henderson State’s Dondre Wright. Both are similar in size, speed, and physicality. More depth at safety would be likely fit.
    The Eskimos biggest area of need is along the defensive line with Eddie Steele and Don Oramasionwu departed. The Eskimos will go with an All-American defensive line which shouldn’t hurt considering who the Eskimos have in Odell Willis, Almondo Sewell, Marcus Howard, Philip Hunt, and newcomers Euclid Cummings and Aston Whiteside.
    All-American defensive fronts don’t have a long shelf life in the CFL. Defensive line is the deepest position in this year’s draft. This will be to some a “way off the board” pick but Randy Colling, a 26-year old who has played in the Arena Football League for the last few years with the Cleveland Gladiators is a very attractive player. He played Division-2 ball in the NCAA at Gannon University and in 2011 averaged eight tackles per game. He’s not getting the headlines like Ekakitie, Boateng, and Ankou are but Colling’s experience in the Arena league could deem him “pro ready.” Standing at 6’5″ and 320 lbs doesn’t hurt either. ...

Finally at linebacker and there’s one name that jumps off the page. UCLA’s Cameron Judge who just added to 2017 CFL Draft class on April 26 after working out his Canadian citzenship. Judge was born in Montreal to a Canadian mother and spent much of his youth in Vancouver and Victoria. Judge spent four seasons at UCLA after his family moved to California.
    The Eskimos have lost many stalwarts on special teams this off-season in Mike Miller who led the CFL in special teams tackles in 2016 with 27. The Eskimos also lost Cauchy Muamba, Aaron Milton, and Devon Bailey. Two key Americans left in Deon Lacey (Miami Dolphins) and Jordan Lynch (retired). Judge is an excellent player in space who has all of the physical tools to play on special teams and right away. The Eskimos have depth with Adam Konar and Blair Smith but Judge could provide even greater depth and be a solid backup to projected starting WILL linebacker Cory Greenwood.
    Colling and Judge seem to make the most sense but it’s the CFL Draft which is historically very difficult to handicap. Oh and those earlier players who have NFL ties, they will likely be selected but the gamble is when do take a chance on one of them. Most if not all will likely be picked in the later rounds.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3430596/20...ick-on-sunday/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Chris Jones comments on Rider's upcoming draft.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Justin Dunk and Drew Edwards discuss the CFL Draft in this podcast.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/06/3d...draft-preview/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Justin Dunk's mock draft includes videos of the selected players. His selections are:

1) Bombers – Faith Ekakitie, DL, Iowa
    Strong senior season film and immediate availability mean Ekakitie goes No. 1 overall.

2) Riders – Cameron Judge, LB, UCLA
    Chris Jones and co. considered taking Alex Singleton first overall in 2016, that decision sticks with Saskatchewan’s front office. Judge – the Singleton of this year’s draft – gives them a second chance to make right.

3) Lions – Mason Woods, OL, Idaho

Towering offensive lineman fits on the Left coast for a couple reasons: local (Port Coquitlam) product and potential to play tackle.

4) Ticats – Dariusz Bladek, OL, Bethune-Cookman

Despite being out of football for a year, Bladek is the most pro-ready blocker in the class.

5) Eskimos – Braden Schram, OL, Calgary

The Manning, Al. native is versatile, he took reps across all offensive line positions at the CFL combine, and stout.

6) Bombers – Geoff Gray, OL, Manitoba

Canadian depth and multiple first-round picks allow Winnipeg to select Gray for the future.

7) Lions – Junior Luke, DL, Montreal
    BC let Jabar Westerman leave in free agency, which creates an opportunity for Luke to make an impact.

8) Stampeders – Randy Colling, Gannon
    Calgary has done extensive background work on the Arena league all-star. Colling could help the Stamps at defensive tackle this season, and possibly be flipped over to the other side of the line down the road.

9) Redblacks – Evan Johnson, OL, Saskatchewan

An athletic offensive lineman who might have a chance to play tackle in the CFL, Johnson impressed at the CFL combine and steadily climbed draft boards.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/06/du...fl-mock-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Latest rumours on draft swaps:

The Alouettes are considering moving up. Sources say a trade partner might be able to be found with the Lions, who have two picks in the first round, more specifically the seventh overall selection.
    After Arash Madani reported Iowa defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie will go No. 1 overall to Winnipeg that put the Riders and Chris Jones on the clock. Saskatchewan would like to find a trade partner to move down in round one and acquire additional selections – if the green and white believe they can land Cameron Judge later than second overall.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/07/la...ing-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The CFL has announced that five propects who failed anti-doping tests and therefore are ineligible for the draft.

Kent State long-snapper Kain Kain Anzovino, McGill receiver Moy McDonald, Carleton defensive lineman Daniel McNicholl and Calgary receiver Rashaun Simonise all had their draft years deferred to 2018 as a result of anti-doping rule violations for the use of banned substances.
    The CFL also said Regina linebacker Michael Stefanovic is removing himself from this year’s draft even though a violation of the league’s anti-doping rules hasn’t yet been confirmed. The league added Stefanovic intends to exercise his right to a hearing.
    The CFL said Stefanovic will also be eligible for the 2018 draft.
    Simonise’s penalty was reported back in March, when he was the fourth-ranked prospect according to the CFL scouting bureau. None of the other players named are ranked in the top-20.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/05/04/fi...ed-drug-tests/
    Last edited by jerrym; 05-07-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Duane Forde has identified six sleepers and an honourable mention in this category ahead of the CFL draft.

Honourable Mention: Adam Melanson (DT, Acadia) – His testing numbers are underwhelming but he’s a smart, productive, and technically sound player. Last season, he picked up his second consecutive All-Canadian nod after leading all USports interior D-Linemen with 6.5 sacks.
    6. Jimmy Ralph (REC, Alberta) – The younger brother of former CFLers Brett and Brock might be the best athlete in Raymond, Alberta’s first family of football. He began his college career at Weber State and, after a redshirt season in 2013, transferred home to join the Golden Bears. In 2015, he ranked fifth in the nation with 862 receiving yards but sat out last season. The knock against him is his size (5’10”, 185 lbs.)...but that’s also what they said about his brother Brett, who led all CFL rookies in receiving in 2005.
    5. Akeeno Williams (DB, Manitoba) – With the growing trend in the league towards bigger receivers, there is an accompanying demand for bigger defensive backs. Williams is raw, having only made the full-time move from receiver to DB last season, but scouts are willing to be patient with him because of his 6’3”, 210 lbs. frame.
    4. Brad Friesen (LB, British Columbia) – After Cameron Judge (UCLA) and Christophe Mulumba Tshimanga (Maine), the 2017 linebacker class is pretty wide open. Physically, Friesen stacks up well against the rest of the group but has received limited attention because he had to sit out last season after transferring from Calgary to UBC.
    3. Oumar Touré (TE/SB, Sherbrooke) – Although less polished as a blocker and route runner, the 6-foot-4, 245 lbs. Touré is physically very similar to Antony Auclair (Laval) in terms of both stature and athletic ability. With Auclair currently under contract to the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, this Vert et Or star may be the best available option for a team looking to fill the TE/SB/FB/H-Back role.
    2. Jacob Scarfone (REC, Guelph) – His name has scarcely been mentioned leading up to the draft because he has been recovering from the ACL injury that cost him the entire 2016 season. He attended the Toronto Regional Combine, testing only on the bench press, where he recorded 19 repetitions, which would’ve tied him for second among receivers at the National Combine. The numbers that matter most, however, are those that he posted on the field when healthy in 2015. The London, Ontario native averaged 117.5 receiving yards per game, which would’ve ranked first among draft eligible receivers in 2016.
    1. Marc Glaude (OL, Montreal) – Over the last few years, the RSEQ (Quebec conference) has earned a reputation for churning out professional offensive linemen. Aside from the Laval quintet chosen in the first round of the last three CFL drafts, there’s also current Kansas City Chief Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. The 6’2”, 300 lbs. Glaude, has been overshadowed in this year’s draft talk by fellow RSEQ products Qadr Spooner (McGill) and Jen-Simon Roy (Laval) but, as an RSEQ All-Star at both guard and tackle, he shouldn’t be overlooked.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl-draft-six-slee...epers-1.744990

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Eric DesLauriers discusses the CFL Draft and his role as Alouette draft coordinator below.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...-Thread/page18

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Santino Filoso looks at what the Redblacks may do with the 9th draft choice in terms of: building the OL; strengthening the pass rush; staying local in talent; and trading draft choices.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/05/fo...und-cfl-draft/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Drew Edwards examines what the Tiger Cats may do in the draft.

http://3downnation.com/2017/05/05/ni...-ticats-draft/