Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

2022 Global Draft

Great job by Marshall Ferguson and Greg Dick today on CFL.ca. I really enjoyed their recaps on each draft pick.
    I thought the Argos did very well acquiring a Punter out of the NCAA, a LB/RE from the UK and a massive OL from Brazil.
    One thing I did find interesting, but not in a good way, is by my count, out of the 27 players drafted, only 6 attended the CFL Global Combine back in March.
    Seems the CFL invested a lot of time on players the teams did not have any interest in.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 05-03-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    One thing I did find interesting, but not in a good way, is by my count, out of the 27 players drafted, only 6 attended the CFL Global Combine back in March.
    Seems the CFL invested a lot of time on players the teams didn
    Since it seems clear teams are doing their own scouting, eliminating the global combine is an expense that can be easily jettisoned, I'd say.

I am intrigued by the Argos' selections. Glad we got a punter to potentially supplant Sato as Bede's emergency backup, and the defensive guy seems like a raw talent with some potential to develop.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Since it seems clear teams are doing their own scouting, eliminating the global combine is an expense that can be easily jettisoned, I'd say.

I am intrigued by the Argos' selections. Glad we got a punter to potentially supplant Sato as Bede's emergency backup, and the defensive guy seems like a raw talent with some potential to develop.
    I've also noticed teams just signing Global players in the off-season. Anyone know the rules as to which players can just be signed and which must be drafted first?

I enjoy seeing the globals compete alongside the nationals at the combine, but yeah it could certainly be cut from the budget without a huge impact on the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I've had it with this farce of a Global 2.0 movement. The majority of the players being selected now are players from the NCAA. To me, that is just a loophole to reduce Canadian roster spots for cheaper talent. And how in the hell is an international player with NCAA experience put in a more favourable roster position (Global) than Boris Bede, an international player that played Usport (considered an American)? Every year this pisses me off more and more.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've had it with this farce of a Global 2.0 movement. The majority of the players being selected now are players from the NCAA. To me, that is just a loophole to reduce Canadian roster spots for cheaper talent. And how in the hell is an international player with NCAA experience put in a more favourable roster position (Global) than Boris Bede, an international player that played Usport (considered an American)? Every year this pisses me off more and more.
    The global players don't reduce Canadian roster spots. If anything they reduce American roster spots.

I agree that it's beyond weird that Bede doesn't qualify as a Global. But I don't think he'd want to under the current CBA. He'd have to take a sizeable paycut! Which is also really weird.

But I have no issue with the fact that most Globals have been through NCAA programs, and some even USports programs.