Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When 'Obby' Khan was selected second overall in the 2004 CFL draft, he became one of the first Moslems in the league. Despite all the pressures exerted on the Moslem community following the September 9, 2001 attacks, Obby responded with grace on and off the field during and after his career.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/khan-r...faith-culture/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Johnny Bright came to Canada in 1952 in part because of the discrimination he faced while playing halfback/quarterback for Drake University, despite being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles. When he retired he was the all-time leading CFL rusher and is still ranked fourth behind only Mike Pringle, George Reed and Damon Allen.

His years at Drake were far from easy, playing a high-profile position when the United States was still a few years away from repealing segregated public education facilities. Things that seem simple today, like hotel accommodations, weren’t always guaranteed when the team travelled. Sometimes the fallback plan of the host school’s dorms being offered up couldn’t always be counted on. ....

Bright, a Heisman candidate that year, took to the field and history unfolded. He was targeted on the first play of the game, taking a forearm to the jaw after he’d handed off the ball. The bone was broken. Incredibly, he stayed in the game, throwing a touchdown pass on Drake’s next possession. The same player, defensive tackle Wilbanks Smith, hit him with another cheap shot. Bright’s day was done and his jaw would be wired shut. ...

The broken jaw essentially ended his college career with three games remaining, but Bright was far from finished with football. The Philadelphia Eagles took him with the fifth-overall pick of the 1952 NFL draft, but Bright chose to instead play in Canada. ...

In Canada and in Edmonton in particular, Bright found acceptance.
    After football, he kept his family in Edmonton and transitioned into a teaching career with the Edmonton Public School Board. Bright coached football at Bonnie Doon High School throughout the 1960s. Upon his death in 1983 he was the principal at D.S. Mackenzie Junior High.
    “I remember him saying that the NFL was trying to get him to come back but he had said that he’d made Canada his home,” [his daughter] Kandis said. “When they tried to call him back there was still a lot of racism in the U.S. with black football players and I don’t think he really wanted to deal with that. He was accepted here in Canada and he made Canada home.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/era-sy...ptance-canada/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Joey Moss, who has Down's Syndrome, is an Edmonton legend. He was honoured at last weekend's football game in Edmonton.

At the urging of Wayne Gretzky, Moss joined the Oilers in the 1984-85 season and the Esks in 1986. He seemingly found his place with both teams instantly. Along the way, Moss slid his way into the heart of the city of Edmonton. ...

“(The people of Edmonton have) known him for so long and seen how somewhat surprising it is that he’s still there, at work,” Joey’s younger brother Steven said. “He always has a smile on his face. The way he embraces the crowd, he puts two hands up in the air, gets applause and has that big smile.” ...

Steve is the youngest of 13 children, with Joey No. 12, five-years older. At 15, Steve was the first Moss family member to work for the Oilers, when they won their first Stanley Cup. Joey joined a year later and as Steve puts it, “never looked back.”
    “I had a chance to see him work in the locker room and interact with the players. The positive energy that he brought into that locker room has made him who he is. They can’t get enough of him.” ...

Shortly after Joey’s induction to the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame was announced in 2015, longtime Esks equipment manager Dwayne Mandrusiak said that his compassion has made him irreplaceable to the teams.
    “He sees guys get cut and he knows that they’re upset and he’ll go over and put his arm around them and tell them that it’s going to be all right,” Mandrusiak told the Edmonton Journal. “We’re all afraid and we think, ‘What do you say to a guy like that when something is going on?’ and Joe walks over and talks to people.”
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/joey-m...monton-legend/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Joey Moss, who has Down's Syndrome, is an Edmonton legend. He was honoured at last weekend's football game in Edmonton.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/joey-m...monton-legend/
    I think that was awesome. He really deserved that honour and then some. I've always had a strong dislike for that team, but they definitely did this right.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Montreal Alouettes Chip Cox, Luc Brodeur Jourdain, Henoc Muamba, Kadim Mbaye, Adarius Bowman, Andre Bolduc, and Tyrell Sutton each comment on what Diversity is Strength means to them below.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/united-in-diversity/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    When the NFL offered star college QB Bernie Custis, pro football's first Black QB, the job of safety, he turned to the CFL in 1951. He led Hamilton Tiger Cats to a 7-5 record that year and made the All-Star team but was switched to RB next year and helped the Tiger Cats win a Grey Cup in 1953.

His spirit of breaking down barriers continued into his post-football career. He was a teacher and principal in Hamilton and went on to coach junior football, then at Sheridan College and finally at McMaster University. He died on Feb. 23, 2017 in Burlington, at 88.
    “His story is all about using sports and gaining access to opportunities that people wouldn’t normally have,” said John Williams Jr., a former CFL player, whose own post-football career has been heavily influenced by Custis’ legacy. He’s the director of the McMaster Youth Movement, which ensures long-term Aboriginal athlete development and growth on the McMaster campus and beyond. ...

Both on and off of the field, Custis was ahead of his time. Williams remembers when his father wanted to get into coaching in the later 1970s and a newspaper headline emphasized that a black man wanted to coach. Williams points out that on the 2004 Toronto Argonauts team he was a part of, head coach Michael ‘Pinball’ Clemons was the first black coach in CFL history to win a Grey Cup. That was only 14 years ago.
    Custis was an teacher and principal for 35 years. He coached through the 1960s, 70s and 80s, watching as others slowly, eventually came to stand alongside him.
    “I think that’s the one thing I try to take away. If I’m talking to any of the younger guys from the younger generation or even kids, I think it’s important to translate the message that you’re not just here. People came (before you),” Williams said.
    https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/08/custis...k-quarterback/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The Tiger Cats have started a program called June Jones Youth Movement to introduce indigenous youth to football and careers in the sport. Jones believes indigenous youth here face the same barriers here as indigenous youth do in Hawaii where he played and coached university football.

Named for the team’s head coach, the new program will give hundreds of Indigenous youth from Six Nations, New Credit and the Hamilton area the chance to attend a home game this season, as well as to talk to players and watch from the sidelines as they warm up. It’s a partnership between the Tiger-Cats, LIUNA and the McMaster Youth Movement. The latter, which operates under the direction of retired running back John Williams, works to improve opportunities, access and support for Indigenous student athletes and youth. ...

The crux of the Tiger-Cats program is to expose young people like General to the game as well as the entire= organization. “They’re seeing themselves as trainers, they’re seeing themselves as coaches, ticket agents, marketers, ” said Williams, who connected with Jones through former special teams and defensive co-ordinator Jeff Reinebold. “It’s just opening their eyes up to these experiences, seeing they can do these kinds of things.”
    For Jones, the initiative was a natural fit. When Williams approached him, he had already spoken with a staffer at his namesake charity about doing something locally for those kids that, as he put it, “get lost in the shuffle.”

The June Jones Foundation provides grants, programming and support – even athletic equipment – to Polynesian families in need. He has deep roots in the islands – he was a quarterback at the University of Hawaii in the 1970s, coached the college’s team from 1999 to 2007 and frequently visits the football hotbed of American Samoa on aid missions and recruitment trips. Jones believes Indigenous kids face the same barriers here as they do there. Sport is expensive – to play and to watch – and often difficult or even impossible to access. This program aims to break down some of those barriers, including things as simple as transportation. The funding provided by LIUNA covers, among other things, the cost of busing the kids to the game and back home.
    http://3downnation.com/2018/08/28/ti...igenous-youth/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Tiger Cats have started a program called June Jones Youth Movement to introduce indigenous youth to football and careers in the sport. Jones believes indigenous youth here face the same barriers here as indigenous youth do in Hawaii where he played and coached university football.

http://3downnation.com/2018/08/28/ti...igenous-youth/
    Good on him. I have lots of respect for these types of movements.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The CFL has spoken out about diversity and against racism after the death of George Floyd.

The Canadian Football League, commissioner and teams are speaking out against the death of George Floyd, which happened in Minneapolis on Monday, May 25.
    White police officer Derek Chauvin pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for over eight minutes while he was handcuffed and restrained on the ground. The 46-year-old black man told Chauvin repeatedly: “I can’t breathe.” However, the pleas were ignored by Chauvin and it resulted in Floyd losing his life. ...

From the CFL:

Just as we celebrate diversity, we in the Canadian Football League condemn racism in all of its forms, silent and systemic or blatant and violent. In particular, no person should fear for his or her freedom, safety, or life because of the colour of his or her skin.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie:
    As we watch events unfold in the U.S. this weekend, the CFL has issued a statement condemning racism. It’s also important to acknowledge that our country has its own problems with race and our league’s history is far from perfect, even if it is marked by many firsts for black athletes and coaches. I cannot pretend, coming from a place of privilege, to understand what it feels like for those whose lives are marked by the racism they must face every day. But I can stand with them. And I always will.

https://3downnation.com/2020/05/31/cfl-finally-speaks-out-condemns-racism-celebrates-diversity/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Rider LB Soloman Elimimian, the President of the Canadian Football Players Players Association, talks about his experiences regarding racism below:

Like many of you, I have been following the terrible news of the too many instances of racism against African-Americans that’s been happening in the U.S. From the killings of Ahmaud Arbery and George Floyd to the egregious actions of Amy Cooper, toward Christian Cooper, in Central Park. These stories have caused me great sadness, anger, and discouragement. They are not about politics, religion or nationality. These horrific scenarios are acts against humanity.

Upon hearing the latest tragedy in the case of George Floyd, I was immediately brought back to my upbringing as a youth in Los Angeles. I’ve dealt with racism many times in my life. Many of these instances involved the people who swore an oath to protect and serve our communities.

One instance in particular I recall riding as a passenger with my best friend in Los Angeles where we were pulled over by the police who had their guns drawn. We were roughed up, handcuffed, harassed and humiliated as we sat on the curb and treated like criminals while my friend’s car was searched. When asked why we were being detained, the only reason given was that “we fit the description of a crime committed.”

I would hear this phrase many times during my encounters with the police in Los Angeles. As I reflect upon that time, I chose to accept this injustice because I wanted to make it home alive, but perhaps more troubling is that I came to accept these racist and humiliating interactions with police and others as normal.

My own experiences along with the many others from Rodney King, to Eric Garner, to Trayvon Martin, and the many untold stories that we know happen regularly have caused deep-seated trauma. That trauma caused me to soon look at police officers in an untrustworthy light. ...

It was not until I went off to Hawaii for university and later lived in Canada that my experiences with law enforcement as well as society in general was drastically different. I now can see, and have experienced, the good in people. Even though I am not ignorant to the fact that racism exists everywhere, I came to know that normalizing racist behaviour by anyone would not help heal communities.

There is deep systemic oppression and racism that needs to be rooted out in society; and it starts by speaking out against it. We must combat evil with good by shinning a light on darkness. I want to thank our reps for their strength and recommendation to speak out as a union on this issue.

As President of the CFLPA I encourage all members to use their social platforms and influence to share their personal stories to educate as well as encourage people to bring about positive change so we can live in a society where we are all safe and proud. We owe it not only to ourselves but to our loved ones.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/05/31/l...sitive-change/

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level

Sorry but I find this one a bit hypocritical in light of WBB actions taken related to the Euclid Cummings incident in Vancouver a few years back. Bombers did nothing but stay silent. First in line to call someone else out though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Several Black and Asian players and staff speak about Black Lives Matter, systemic racism, sports and women, the LGBTQ community, football and life in the video from a "Move the Chains" podcast at the url below.

https://www.bclions.com/move-the-chains/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC Offensive Line Coach Bryan Chiu and OL Sukh talk about being Asian and its impact on their CFL careers below during Asian History Month.

Chungh, the Port Coquitlam native, takes pride in being a role model for many South Asian youngsters. Besides working and training for the 2021 season, he has been an active member of the Lions’ community projects such as our Be More Than A Bystander campaign and more recently a youth football program with the club to encourage more youths to try football and helping them stay away from trouble.

“We are currently working with a group of kids from four different schools twice a week. We’re showing them the power of sports, the power of choice and coming out to learn new skills of football. Showing them the basics and giving them a little talk in the end about the choice they can make,” Chungh said. “Right now, it’s a wild time with all this gang violence going on, we would try to influence these kids to stay away from those kinds of things. If they’re dealing with troubles, we have counsellors there to talk to them. It’s a great way to give back to the community and help these people that are more troubled than most people.”

A lot has changed since Chiu’s playing days in the 90s. As people are more increasingly aware to not racially profile other human beings. But in a group setting, camaraderie is the foundation of a successful team. As nicknames are often passed around inside the locker room, names associated with race and stereotypes would circulate within the team. Right or wrong, there’s something much more at stake for these athletes — at least for Chiu. “Like Chinaman, sumo and this. But it’s funny because it’s never an insulting thing, I don’t know many people can understand that outside of the sports locker room. Because as much as they gave it to me, I gave it right back to them. It’s honestly like a family; brothers and sisters fighting with each other. It’s all good. But you just can’t take that outside the locker room,” he added.

It was hard for Chiu because he was one of the few to break barriers from his traditional Chinese family and to be one of the few Asian athletes to have success in the sport. Growing up, Chiu’s mom saw football as a violent game. Like many Asian parents, they want their kids to only value education. As Chiu indicated, that is still the case today while coaching youths and it might be one of the reasons that are holding Asian kids back. “It’s a stigma that even our own people put on ourselves. That’s the hardest part, is to break that stereotype of who we are and what we’re capable of. Because I think it actually hurts the younger generations when we put those labels on ourselves,” he said. Chiu isn’t saying to abandon education completely, as he has also seen young players who chose to bank everything on football, and it led to a dead-end when things didn’t go as planned. ...

“There’s some merit in that football is only going to take you so far. Your degree and your education are going to be with you forever. I do believe a part of it. At the end of the day, I think there’s a fine line of letting out kids play any sport they want, as long as they’re active, it doesn’t matter,” he said. He was caught in the middle of both worlds and juggling in between Asian stereotypes. To become an integral offensive line, Chiu had to put on the weight for football. But in mainstream culture and some Asian culture, big people are deemed as unattractive and frowned upon. As a kid, Chiu had himself a Cantonese nickname that directly translates to ‘fat boy’ in English.

“I honestly believe there’s something to it. You could call a kid that when he’s born and he’s going to become that,” Chiu laughed. “I’ll go out with my mom or my aunts or whatnot. I can hear people talking about me. Like, I look at them, what’s the point like why you are so worried about what I’m doing. That’s one thing I’d like us Asians to change is instead of looking down at each other, let’s empower each other,” he said. ...

Chiu eventually persuaded his mom to let him play at Vancouver College. He then spent a few years at Pacific University, then transferred to Washington State where he started 11 games for the Cougars. He was drafted by the Montreal Alouettes in 1996 but he promised his mom to finish his degree before playing in his first season in the CFL. A year later, Chiu earned his degree in sports management and was on his way to Montreal. ...

In these unprecedented times, many athletes are using their platforms to shed more light on specific conversations such as race, politics, and social justice. Chiu and Chungh believe that athletes should have the right to speak out to raise awareness. Chungh said he’s very fortunate that he grew up in a diverse community like Vancouver. Every team and coach he played for gave him an opportunity. If it was about skin colour, he chose to look past it. Because as competitive as he already is, Chungh knows he’s one of the few South Asians to ever played in the CFL. Bringing pride to his community just serves as extra motivation.

“Any of those people using their platforms to bring awareness to this topic, I think it’s a good idea. I grew up around everyone and I have a diverse group of friends. I know it’s crazier in the States, but here it happens too,” Chungh added.
    https://www.bclions.com/2021/05/15/a...ul-discussion/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Toronto Argo 2021 draft pick OL Sage Doxtater grew up on the Oneida First Nation. His selection by the Argos could provide the team and the CFL with some more diversity when it comes to indigenous people and hopefully expand the fan base, if the team doesn't lose him to the NFL. Sage plans on being a role model for other indigenous kids. He sounds like the kind of character and talented player the Argos and league need both in character and broadening the fan base.

If you take one look at massive New Mexico State left tackle Sage Doxtater, there is little question why he’s considered one of the top prospects in the 2021 CFL Draft. ...

Growing up 30 minutes outside of downtown London, Ont., Doxtater was raised by his mother on the Oneida settlement, a reservation of just under 2,200 residents designated for the Oneida Nation of the Thames. Lacrosse, hockey and baseball were the available sports — football was a complete unknown. ...

It quickly became clear that Doxtater had a rare combination of size and athleticism that could take him as far as he wanted. Recruiters weren’t exactly flocking to Oneida on the Thames, however, so Doxtater made the difficult choice to leave home for his final two years of high school, moving two hours away to Canada Prep Academy in St. Catherines in order to play a full U.S. schedule. ...

Originally a member of the 2020 draft class, a nagging shoulder injury caused him to redshirt his first senior season in 2019. He returned this year only to have New Mexico State be one of just three FBS programs to cancel their fall season due to COVID-19.

Should the NFL not come calling, Doxtater will have a CFL contract waiting for him when he wants it. Growing up, the big man had few Indigenous sporting role models — only NBA star Kyrie Irving and NFL quarterback Sam Bradford come to mind — and is now intent on changing that for kids back home in Oneida.

“That would mean the world to me, honestly. Where I’m from, we don’t have a lot there. It’s kind of just a rundown-looking town. A lot of people are living in poverty. We haven’t had clean water there since like 1990-something,” Doxtater says. “It’s not the best place for kids to be and I just want to show them that there are different paths than just selling drug or quitting school, just something better for themselves.”
    https://3downnation.com/2021/04/23/t...or-themselves/

But lately, the six-foot-seven, 340-pound veteran left tackle for the NCAA’s New Mexico State football Aggies has been guarding an Oneida Nation of the Thames checkpoint, helping block non-residents from entering the territory during the virus crisis.

“I’m trying to do what I can to protect my people and do my part,” the Glencoe resident said. “It’s a 25-minute drive from home and a shift can be up to six hours. The bad part is the weather. It snowed the other day and (after 40 C summers in Las Cruces, N.M.), I’m not used to that anymore.”

Last fall, Doxtater was considered a potential Top 5 pick for next week’s Canadian Football League draft by the CFL scouting bureau. He might have heard his name called in this week’s virtual NFL draft, too, but for a shoulder injury that took a big chunk out of his fourth U.S. college season.

https://lfpress.com/sports/football/...e-virus-crisis