Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

What are your honest, realistic expectations of this team.

The Argos were the worst team in the CFL in 2016 finishing 5-13. The coaching staff has undergone a complete overhaul with Scott Milanovich resigning and moving to Jacksonville to be the QB coach and Jim Barker being fired. They were replaced by Marc Trestman and Jim Popp respectively. The complications in putting these two in place meant that the Argos missed out on several marquee free agents. With training camp a few weeks away I wanted to ask people what their honest, realistic expectations were for this upcoming season:

Offence

The Argos will go as far as Ricky Ray's health will take them. His injury history has been well documented and I will not repeat it. Drew Willy, Jeff Mathews and Cody Fajardo compete for his backup spots.

I'm comfortable with the situation at running back.

The Argo receiving corps even with S.J Green is still a little thin. Fuller has an injury history and Paden is inexperienced as is Jones and Wylie. The Argos could use some luck here.

The o-line still makes me nervous. The LT spot is still up in the air and the right side of the OL is still a concern too.

Defence

The D-line should be solid.

The Argos need a MLB.

I hope the secondary will improve with a year of experience under their belts.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the Trestman/Popp duo gives the Argos some intangibles, and if some guys stay healthy and emerge then maybe we can pull a shocker on the rest of the league. It's contingent on many things, but hoping things break the Argos way for once.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think 8 wins is very possible and wouldn't be surprised if they can finish the season at 9-9 or even 10-8. I think it also depends on what the competition is like in the East. Did Montreal improve and will Ottawa regress a bit? And who knows how Hamilton will look this year? Argos are very much in it at this point but might find out quickly if they aren't able to keep up with the rest of the East.

A lot of good NCAA calibre players were signed that I'm excited to see to in camp but I don't expect much at this point because a lot of these players seem to come and go and just fall off the radar.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    With no pre-season games to provide evidence of their ability/inability - this is a real crapshoot.
    But my crystal ball - which I've painted BLUE by the way - says 7-11.
    Which means there will be many times we will be taking "Big Gulps" on our way out of the stadium this season.
    Hahaha!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    The Argos were the worst team in the CFL in 2016 finishing 5-13. The coaching staff has undergone a complete overhaul with Scott Milanovich resigning and moving to Jacksonville to be the QB coach and Jim Barker being fired. They were replaced by Marc Trestman and Jim Popp respectively. The complications in putting these two in place meant that the Argos missed out on several marquee free agents. With training camp a few weeks away I wanted to ask people what their honest, realistic expectations were for this upcoming season:

Offence

The Argos will go as far as Ricky Ray's health will take them. His injury history has been well documented and I will not repeat it. Drew Willy, Jeff Mathews and Cody Fajardo compete for his backup spots.

The Argo receiving corps even with S.J Green is still a little thin. Fuller has an injury history and Paden is inexperienced as is Jones and Wylie. The Argos could use some luck here.

The o-line still makes me nervous. The LT spot is still up in the air and the right side of the OL is still a concern too.

Defence

The Argos need a MLB.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the Trestman/Popp duo gives the Argos some intangibles, and if some guys stay healthy and emerge then maybe we can pull a shocker on the rest of the league. It's contingent on many things, but hoping things break the Argos way for once.
    I think you pretty well nailed it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Offence

Defence

The Argos need a MLB.

Your assessment is pretty spot on, given the fact Popp and Trestman were hired relatively late I feel 2017 will be the first step in establishing a winning program.
    Popps overall track record in Montreal was pretty impressive and I think he has learned from the last part of his tenure there.
    Trestman will garner respect from his players and will hold them accountable (another improvement) so better days ahead.
    2017 Record 9-9
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I expect the team to compete for a playoff spot, and won't be surprised if they get in. Trestman will see to it that whoever he has to work with is well prepared.

If Ricky stays healthy, I expect him to complete 70-75% of his passes and have a 3/1 or better TD/INT ratio.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    This I don't get. It looks to me like we'll have an almost entirely new secondary plus a new position coach. Gabriel has been starting since 2014, so I don't see him improving much.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the Trestman/Popp duo gives the Argos some intangibles, and if some guys stay healthy and emerge then maybe we can pull a shocker on the rest of the league.
    I'm less worried about our OL than I am about the receiving corps. Ray certainly needs protection, but receivers who can get open are the best protection a QB could ask for. So far I'm not convinced that we have that.

I hope I'm wrong, obviously, but my prediction is that we'll miss the playoffs again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The receiving group may be better than most of us expect. Presently there are 11 International receivers on the roster--5 of them were drafted by NFL teams. Also 5 have played multiple games in the NFL--3 of them more than 20 games during their time in the NFL. When you add Green, who has been an exemplary East Division and CFL All-Star player, there is some reason to be hopeful.
    If these players have a modicum of their previously demonstrated talent, we might have a reasonable receiving crew. One player who impressed in the 4 games he played last year, was Posey. He has size (6' 2"/210) and speed (4.39). He ran sharp disciplined routes and appeared to have good hands. If he has kept in shape and is motivated, he could be an asset to the team this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I simply desire a team that competes hard on any given night, and is hard to play against. Last year was disguisting. I want a winning program established, and that has begun. I actually expect more from ownership and the brass. This team needs a professional environment, and a pro practice facility to compete as a professional football team ought to.

This, as we have seen, adversely effects the team on the field and I think it ultimately cost two good football men their jobs.

Speaking of on the field; there are too many important positions left hanging for me to get too, too optimistic however. LT, MLB, and the health of our starting QB. I think the D-Line, and D-Backfield will surprise and I think that if Ricky has time, these receivers will too.

I believe Hamilton and Ottawa are better teams at this point. I'll call 8-10, and .500 if all falls into place with a shot at the Playoffs as the 3rd Team in the East.
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 05-16-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I expect the team to compete for a playoff spot, and won't be surprised if they get in. Trestman will see to it that whoever he has to work with is well prepared.

If Ricky stays healthy, I expect him to complete 70-75% of his passes and have a 3/1 or better TD/INT ratio.
    I also think the Argos will compete for a playoff spot, but only because they are in the East. If they would be in tough to make a playoff spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level
    Argos go 11-7 in a surprising tough East. O-line looks better than they are because of Ray getting rid of the ball quickly in a potent Trestman offence. D-line is formidable making the backends job simpler.

Tie me to an ant hill and fill my ears with jam if I am wrong.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I also expect to be competing for a playoff spot.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The receiving group may be better than most of us expect. Presently there are 11 International receivers on the roster--5 of them were drafted by NFL teams. Also 5 have played multiple games in the NFL--3 of them more than 20 games during their time in the NFL. When you add Green, who has been an exemplary East Division and CFL All-Star player, there is some reason to be hopeful.
    If these players have a modicum of their previously demonstrated talent, we might have a reasonable receiving crew. One player who impressed in the 4 games he played last year, was Posey. He has size (6' 2"/210) and speed (4.39). He ran sharp disciplined routes and appeared to have good hands. If he has kept in shape and is motivated, he could be an asset to the team this year.
    I just hope that people do not put too much pressure on S.J Green. He is clearly the veteran of that group and it isn't much different from the circumstances that Jeremaine Copeland found himself in when he was acquired by the Argos in 2010. Now, Ricky Ray is a way better QB than Cleo Lemon, but I do recall Jeremaine Copeland receiving some criticism (from Foley's brother mind you) about his lack of production. You'd also recall that not only was the Argo QB situation unstable at the time, but the receiver depth wasn't great either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    They'll make the playoffs, third in east, first playoff game will be a coin flip, but they won't win the east.
    Coaching has improved, but if Hamilton is healthy they will be tough to beat.
    I don't see us finishing ahead of ottawa or hamilton in regular season, but I also don't think there will be a crossover from the west.
    Popp and Trestmann need a season to bring in their guys and implement their system.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    At this time I really don't see an improved team over the one that won 5 last season. I think the coach and hopefully a few surprises in camp can get at least 4 more wins. 9-9.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm confident we have the best cheerleaders in the league so there's always that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I'm confident we have the best cheerleaders in the league so there's always that.
    Get your mind out of the gutter young lad!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm thinking 7-11. Any more than that will be gravy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I still think Hamilton is the Beast of the East, I suppose the biggest question with them is their defense under Reinebold.
    I think Ottawa will regress, and that Montreal will progress.

I think there's a very slim chance the Argonauts make the playoffs, but IMO hedging their bets on Ricky Ray is asking for another worst in the East season. Then again, not like Willy, Matthews and Fajardo give much hope either.
    Funny enough, I think the defense should be better, though I still don't think much of Chamblin.

Offence:
    Oline still a ? IMO - Who plays Lt, can Holmes regain form, will McEwen progress or regress, and will Van Zeyl continue his downward slide ? Deane if healthy should be okay.
    WR's - Can SJ come back 100% healthy and regain form, can Fuller stay healthy for at least 15 games, in leaving Ottawa will Paden get a legit shot, and make the most of it ? etc
    RB - While I love Whitaker, IMO he's not an every down back anymore, and I hope Wilder can shine.
    QB - Already went there.
    Offensive scheme - It should be better under Trestman, but Ray, Willy, Matthews and Fajardo aren't Calvillo, not one of them has a quick release.

Defence:
    Who plays MLB ?
    Can Murray and Sears actually stay healthy ? (I wouldn't put my money on Sears)
    Can Popp rebuild the secondary the way he did in Montreal ? (they started the season with 3 CFL rookies in 2016, who turned out to be pretty good - second best D in the league).
    DL looks impressive.
    Will Chamblin succeed as a DC or just continue to show what he had in Hamilton and Saskatchewan ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Nobody talks about Josh Mitchell, but i thought he was a great find who could turn into a real good player. Just a little guy but he plays bigger, hits hard and he's smart with great football instincts.