Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd like to see what Willy can do under Trestman. Yeah, I know it's the same system as Milanovich blah blah, but I still want to see for myself. Maybe he's terrible, maybe he's not. And since when is Fajardo nothing? Are we really writing him off as well? That's implied in "Ray is all we have."
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'd like to see what Willy can do under Trestman. Yeah, I know it's the same system as Milanovich blah blah, but I still want to see for myself. Maybe he's terrible, maybe he's not. And since when is Fajardo nothing? Are we really writing him off as well? That's implied in "Ray is all we have."
    That we know about.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Nobody disagrees with Ray > Willy. However, that doesn't mean that everyone sees Ray as the ideal solution.
    Agreed.
    I don't think Fajardo's nothin, just not ready to a be starter from what I've seen. Admittedly through very limited sightings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    if Trestman was some sort of innovator or wanted to show some new CFL wrinkles, he might think of going with way more diverse ground game - good luck with that happening.
    I don't buy this idea that Trestman didn't have any running game in Montreal. Twice his teams finished in the top 3 in team rushing yards. Compare that to the Milanovich-era Argonauts, who finished dead last in team rushing 3 times. Trestman's smart enough to know that you need a running game if you've got an immobile QB. I think the key is having depth at the position, and I think either Wilder or Hunter could end up being a real gamebreaker. They've got to find a way to dress two INT RB along with Coombs every game this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I'm comparing their age and their results.
    You implied that Ray's age isn't a factor because Burris was healthy in the latter end of his career outside of last year and put up numbers.

Ray has started 12 games in 2 seasons. Burris, 3 years older, never had injury issues until last year.

You are also ignoring the fact Burris is a far superior athlete to Ray.

I'm not comfortable with Ray being our starter and expect him to play 8 games or less. Hopefully I'm wrong and he finds the fountain of youth like Favre did with the Vikings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Nah the numbers lie, Ray is over the hill and washed up. No chance that a QB could be successful at 37+ in professional football.
    Here is another number: Ray has started 12 games in 2 years. And Ray is a far worse athlete than most of the QBs that hang around that long.

What makes you think Ray can play a good amount of games this season? The fact that other people have past 37? Great logic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Am I wrong though Paul ?
    3 left knee injuries and 2 throwing shoulder injuries in 5 seasons = a trend not a fad/fluke, no ?
    Some people on here seem to think Father Time isn't undefeated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I gather you are basing the over-the-hill contention entirely on his injury history, and you don't wish to address any of the other points I raised about his performance when healthy?

His injuries have been to different areas, and some of them have been fluky -- anyone (even a great athlete) could have been hurt in the same position. Arm strength was never his calling card. I disagree he's a worse athlete than Calvillo.
    So injury history isn't relevant? Nor is age?

And my own pair of eyes watching the game. Stats don't tell the whole story.

The fact he never had a great arm should be a concern as at 37, unless he starts taking steroids, that will only get worse, as will mobility.

Calvillo was one of the faster semi-fat dudes I've seen. Ray is faster than he looks, but I'd take Calvillo in an obstacle course challenge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Last I looked, football did not require expertise at running obstacle courses.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I just don't see how Ricky Ray can be considered "over the hill" even if he stays healthy. Last season he completed 74.5% of his passes, second-highest percentage of his career. His TD/INT ratio (2.5/1) was fourth-best of his career and just slightly behind his second-best of 2.7/1 -(2013 was an outlier at 10.5/1). His average gain per pass (8.0) was just 10th-highest out of the 13 seasons in which he played at least nine games, but basically where he has been throughout his career (8.0 last season, 8.3 career).

In his five years with the Argos, he has had a higher completion percentage (71.2 vs. 66.8), higher TD/INT ratio (2.5 vs. 1.6) and slightly lower avg gain (8.2 vs. 8.4) than in his first nine seasons. The only thing he is demonstrably worse at is staying off the injury list. When he's been healthy his play has been at least equal to, and arguably better than, what it was for the first nine years of his career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The same offence should become a heckeva better offence when it is run by a heckeva better play caller, offensive mind and head coach, all things being equal.
    I agree to a degree as I think Trestman is a considerably better coach than Milanovich, will most likely take over the play calling, and IMO is less conservative than Milo and Brady, but I still don't think the offensive plays will change much.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't buy this idea that Trestman didn't have any running game in Montreal. Twice his teams finished in the top 3 in team rushing yards. Compare that to the Milanovich-era Argonauts, who finished dead last in team rushing 3 times. Trestman's smart enough to know that you need a running game if you've got an immobile QB. I think the key is having depth at the position, and I think either Wilder or Hunter could end up being a real gamebreaker. They've got to find a way to dress two INT RB along with Coombs every game this year.
    I remember a couple of games where Trestman's Alouette's trounced the Argos primarily because of the ground game chewing up large yardage and then shifting to an air attack when the Argos made adjustments, something that Milanovich rarely, if ever, seemed to get the hang of.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I remember a couple of games where Trestman's Alouette's trounced the Argos primarily because of the ground game chewing up large yardage and then shifting to an air attack when the Argos made adjustments, something that Milanovich rarely, if ever, seemed to get the hang of.
    I remember those games, Jerry, that Als O-Line was blowing us away. Maybe The Professor really will surprise all the skeptics with a much bigger commitment to the running game this year. Maybe he'll trailblaze a new direction for CFL offences, just like he did his first time around.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    OK for what it's worth, I want to go on the record. Keeping in mind our last game is
    on the road, in BC, where strangely the Argos WON recently, and remembering the Argos
    win in BC about once every ten years, I say they go into the last game at 7-and-10, still with a
    chance to be in the playoffs, and they lose in BC, Argos finish 7-and-11 and the Alouettes finish at
    8-and-10 to get third place (agreed there will be no West cross-over in 2017). NOW YOU KNOW.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    And oh yeah, one more point to make about 2017, on behalf of all of us STH...
    PLEASE PLEASE may the Argos win More than twice at Home this year.

Don
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    The Argos were the worst team in the CFL in 2016 finishing 5-13. The coaching staff has undergone a complete overhaul with Scott Milanovich resigning and moving to Jacksonville to be the QB coach and Jim Barker being fired. They were replaced by Marc Trestman and Jim Popp respectively. The complications in putting these two in place meant that the Argos missed out on several marquee free agents. With training camp a few weeks away I wanted to ask people what their honest, realistic expectations were for this upcoming season:

Offence

The Argos will go as far as Ricky Ray's health will take them. His injury history has been well documented and I will not repeat it. Drew Willy, Jeff Mathews and Cody Fajardo compete for his backup spots.

I'm comfortable with the situation at running back.

The Argo receiving corps even with S.J Green is still a little thin. Fuller has an injury history and Paden is inexperienced as is Jones and Wylie. The Argos could use some luck here.

The o-line still makes me nervous. The LT spot is still up in the air and the right side of the OL is still a concern too.

Defence

The D-line should be solid.

The Argos need a MLB.

I hope the secondary will improve with a year of experience under their belts.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the Trestman/Popp duo gives the Argos some intangibles, and if some guys stay healthy and emerge then maybe we can pull a shocker on the rest of the league. It's contingent on many things, but hoping things break the Argos way for once.
    Ray is east candidate for MOP.

RB situation stabilize itself by end of season.

S.J Green was everything and more! Fuller was disappointing, Paden was cut as was Wylie. Edwards stepped up as #2 and Coombs played well (when healthy). Hopefully, a 3rd receiver will solidify himself behind Green and Edwards next year.

OL was up and down all year.

D-line was more than solid. 1st in sacks and #1 against run.

Argos need a MLB: got one!

Secondary was improved though many of the faces were new.

Trestman/Popp duo was great!
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    At this time I really don't see an improved team over the one that won 5 last season. I think the coach and hopefully a few surprises in camp can get at least 4 more wins. 9-9.
    I decidedly to bump the thread after it was mentioned in another thread and also to brag that I called it, LOL. Most of us had realistic expectations and were pretty close in our predictions for the Argonauts but not so much for other teams. A good read to cap off the year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ray staying healthy without question was one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround this season. Popp bringing back Ball, and bringing in Trestman can't be overlooked either. Pleasently surprised that we lead the league in sacks, had to double check that as we were without Butler and Lemon for awhile.

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Ray staying healthy without question was one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround this season. Popp bringing back Ball, and bringing in Trestman can't be overlooked either. Pleasently surprised that we lead the league in sacks, had to double check that as we were without Butler and Lemon for awhile.
    team all back, rested, healthy and hungry. I'd say that's a good formula for success. Offence will have 13 men. It's going to be fun. Someone make sure the weatherman knows

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    team all back, rested, healthy and hungry. I'd say that's a good formula for success. Offence will have 13 men. It's going to be fun. Someone make sure the weatherman knows
    That could lead to some penalties, no ?

Maybe you meant us being the 13th man on defence ?