Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
I doubt he would have been released at this time otherwise.
Tough break for Malena, especially considering it was a good gain on his only carry. He was one of several short statured low centre of gravity guys who are quick in this years camp as I noticed on Fan Day. He was also being looked as a punt and kickoff returner, along with newbie Martese Jackson, who had some playing time Thursday and Canadian U of Guelph star Ryan Niewesteeg who was not either not dressed Thursday or did not see action.

I think you're going to have to add receiver Jimmy Ralph on your unstoppable force line Ravi. He looked good in securing the football at fan day and followed it up with good production in pre-season so far. They may opt to have him go back to the University of Alberta to finish his 1 yr of CIS eligibility, but if he continues to produce, he will be hard to ignore, especially as a Canadian.

As far as international receivers go, Cole Watson had a noticeable contribution on Thursday. I haven't noticed Devon Wylie at Fan Day or on Thursday, but he did contribute when he got playing time last year. Jeff Fuller is probably a lock, and so is SJ Green, but Armanti Edwards is not a lock for starting based on what I saw. I'm delighted Popp has brought in good talent in camp. The competition level for jobs is hands down better than it was last year, despite the late confirmation of Popp and Trestman being hired.

I think it's safe to say, we can look forward to a much more balanced team with more depth on all sides of the ball this season and not the steady dose of 17 pt losses we saw last season at BMO. Hopefully this team can get better week to week and build some casual fan interest by playing interesting football on offense and tough defence. Can't wait to see Bear Woods patrolling at linebacker.