Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Argos media coverage 2017

More positive news coming out of Argos. Expect an announcement about a relationship between The AthleteTO & the team next week. In the halcyon days of print media, the Argos were the talk of the town. Jim Hunt, Milt Dunnell, Pat Marsden and Trent Frayne to name only a few were the voice of the team. I recall experiencing the game, rushing home to watch the highlights on CTV and waiting for the newspapers to read their take on it.

The decline of interest in the CFL in Toronto seems to me to be concurrent with the decline of traditional media outlets. Obviously Paul Wood is best to comment on this area. Surely a workable business model for the new media that will satisfy the thirst for Argos information, can be provided by respected journalists. I am excited that award winning Sean Fitzgerald will provide extensive coverage for the Argos locally. I know he attended the first two days of Rookie Camp.

A relationship between the Argos and The AthleteTO is a sound first step in addressing a number of issues on both ledgers. The team offers first rate social media coverage and now can add a new media platform to get ahead of a rapidly changing media world. The Argos may also provide revenue streams from TFC, The Raptors and TML. New media platforms may be more amenable to the GenZ crowd too.

It looks like The Athlete platform exists in other major NA cities and is a template for the new sports media.
    Other revenue streams hopefully will go towards making this sustainable. Maybe they can eventually sell stories back to traditional media.

Just another Argos good news story for a week that provided plenty!

A couple of stories in today's Toronto Star:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/argos...h-letdown.html

POST-DOME ARGOS STILL LOOKING TO MAKE BMO FIELD HOME

During a recent town hall meeting for Argonauts season-ticket holders, a fan asked club management when they planned to make BMO Field their home, and not just a place to play.
    Where was the Argos signage, and the giant “A” painted at midfield?
    And where were the championship banners?
    Team president Michael Copeland assured everyone present that banners honouring the club’s 16 Grey Cup wins would appear this season.
    But when crowds will show up at the Argos’ new home is a critical issue with implications for the entire Canadian Football League.
    The Argos are the CFL’s oldest club and occupy its biggest market, home to both potential fans and corporate support. But four seasons without a playoff win have led to fan apathy that shrinks the entire league’s footprint.
    Last season’s league-wide attendance averaged 24,692, compared with just 16,380 in Toronto. Factor out the Argos and the figure jumps to 25,730.
    The Argos enter their second season at BMO cognizant that overcoming inertia at home could restore the team’s relevance and boost business for the whole CFL.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-27-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Nice to see more positive postings from you 1971. I love it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    AngeloV, I'm reborn! Sorry I should've followed my late father's (the biggest Argo fan I have ever known) sage advice. "It's always darkest before the dawn."

He also taught me that "only the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!

I promise a more balanced dialogue in future.

We'll be at fest day of training camp tomorrow, for sure. Make sure you corner Jim Popp when the opportunity arises. A great guy with a wealth of CFL knowledge.

I am almost giddy with pleasure right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Signed up for "The Athletic" last week and have not been disappointed. Hopefully other Argo fans sign up with them as well, so that they can continue providing Argo related content. It's affordable IMO, especially in comparison to the newspaper outlets.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I have no inside info about The Athletic but was told months ago that if enough Argo fans subscribed, they'd be able to provide regular if not full-time coverage. Fortunately a lot of fans (me included) have subscribed so let's hope all this coverage continues. The Athletic (particularly Fitz-Gerald) and cfl.ca (particularly O'Leary and Landry) and now Argonauts.ca (Hogan) are our best bets for high-quality coverage. Only The Athletic is truly independent (at least at this point) but the journalists listed above are all outstanding regardless of who is paying for their work. The Post and the Globe have all but abandoned sports coverage, The Star has greatly reduced its sports footprint and even the once-amazing Sun coverage has been stripped back considerably because of the financial pressures than continue to slowly kill the newspaper business.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This post is relevant here too.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Just an FYI on the Athletic, I Emailed them and they will be adding their Android App to the Amazon App Store so that BlackBerry 10 users can use it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Post Season Ticket Holder Offer

We have some exciting news for you!

Toronto’s newest sports website, The Athletic, has recently announced that it has expanded their breadth of Toronto sports coverage to include the Argonauts. They will cover our 2017 season with in-depth analysis and expert opinion led by veteran sports reporter Sean Fitz-Gerald. Fitz-Gerald covered the Argos as a beat reporter with the National Post for 15 years and then as a feature writer for the Toronto Star.*

As our valued season ticket holders, we decided to buy season-long subscriptions to The Athletic so you can follow your favourite team even more closely.

To take advantage of this exclusive offer, please click HERE

*PS: If you are already a The Athletic subscriber, your membership will automatically be extended by the amount of the promotion.*

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sucks, as I haven't received that email as of yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Did you check your Junk Folder?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    This was a stellar moves by the Argos. I hope it continues as part of the season ticket package in the future.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

New Fan
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    feel free to email me (jdykstra@argonauts.ca) if you still haven't received. If you are a season ticket holder, you should have received it.

Thanks

Jamie

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I gotta give credit where credit is due here, TheAthleticTO via Sean Fitz-Gerald has done a fantastic job covering the Argonauts training camp so far. Seems like at least one story a day, and a lot of info being brought out there for us fans. Very happy that I subscribed and still recommend others to do so.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I gotta give credit where credit is due here, TheAthleticTO via Sean Fitz-Gerald has done a fantastic job covering the Argonauts training camp so far. Seems like at least one story a day, and a lot of info being brought out there for us fans. Very happy that I subscribed and still recommend others to do so.
    Me too-- their coverage has really exceeded my expectations, and I am very glad I subscribed, as they are providing better coverage than most of the newspapers. We may indeed be seeing the future of sports reporting unfolding here. I think it is great that the Argos have partnered with them, and they have gone in my mind from being "part of the TO media problem" when it comes to the Argos to what things can and should be-- fair coverage that actually looks at the players and the team itself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I agree with both of you. When I was growing up in the 1970s and 1980s, I would be like a kid at Christmas each day wondering what the Globe and Mail or The Star would have on my beloved Argos. Back in those days, there were always articles - often multiple ones - about the team during football season. With The Athletic, it feels a little like that again as it looks like we can count on at least one article a day about the Argos.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Toronto Star hasn't had an article since May 24. But did have a very moving story on Bob Marley's grandson signing with the Redskins. I guess Jamal Campbell's story isn't worth sharing.

The Sun still averages a story a day, as does The Athletic. National Post might as well stop covering sports all together with their two pages.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Interestingly, Bell/TSN just announced that they got the NFL Thursday package, which means that Rogers/Sportsnet no longer has any NFL games. Since Sportsnet no longer has the NFL as a property, will Rogers diminish their NFL coverage, as they have done with CFL? I doubt it pretty highly. The fact that TSN was the exclusive broadcaster of CFL games gave Rogers/Sportsnet people "cover" to diss the CFL as a competing property. But even with this change, I imagine that they will still have the NFL prominently displayed on their website and covered extensively on their broadcast properties.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Toronto Star hasn't had an article since May 24. But did have a very moving story on Bob Marley's grandson signing with the Redskins. I guess Jamal Campbell's story isn't worth sharing.

The Sun still averages a story a day, as does The Athletic. National Post might as well stop covering sports all together with their two pages.
    The Marley story came off the wires -- i.e. was already paid for. Telling Campbell's story would require assigning a reporter. The Star lost a lot of sports (and news and entertainment and lifestyles and business) reporters to buyouts and layoffs in the past year. Its sports section is shrinking, just not as much as the Post's and Globe's -- those papers have virtually no dedicated sports reporters. As I've written previously, this trend is only going to get worse as the newspaper industry continues to bleed cash. Even the Sun rarely if ever gives more than 20 pages for sports -- used to be 28-32 virtually every day.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7