Threaded View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    All valid points. CFL Commissioner is truly a tough job. It is entirely understandable if he doesn't want the position. It is also unfathonable if he isn't offered the position.

Mike has a lifetime of nothing but success. Difficulties have dogged him since youth. Undersized, he was always told he wasn't big enough to play football. He was born in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mother. His mom made his education his first priority. Football was his avenue to an education. He was offered business schooling at Harvard and William and Mary Colleges. Both academic powerhouses. William and Mary College provided a full scholarship. Back then Harvard didn't offer scholarships. Mike had no alternative but to accept a scholarship.

As an honours student in business he was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs. Clemons was an All American Division I -AA. After a successful 1st year, he returned to William and Mary to finish and graduate business with honours, knowing that it might cost him his NFL job. His promise to his mother superceded his NFL career. The Toronto Argonauts took advantage of this opportunity and signed him. After dominating the CFL, the NFL came knocking with multiple promises. Knowing that a football career is tenuous at best, and only one injury from ending, "Pinball" declined all offers.

He went on to win three Grey Cups as a player and one as a HC. He stepped down to focus on being a father to his children through their formative years. He felt he couldn't keep the kind of commitment required as a HC and be the kind of father his children required.

His children have now grown and this mission was accomplished with honours!

He feeds the family with a successful motivational speaking business.

His passion is his charitable foundation, the Pinball Clemons Foundation, and he gives back to those with similar backgrounds. His charitable focus, derived from his Mom, focuses on education both abroad and in the inner city of Toronto. Recently, he has identified local hunger as an issue to be tackled. His JUSTGIVE31 food bank drive identified that in the GTA, supplies of food run dry in the summer months when need is great. He found a matching donor (full disclosure a Ticat fan) and recently raised about $500,000 for eight regions across the GTA, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

"Pinball" and Diane are committed to Canada with their recent Canadian citizenship. He proudly proclaims "American by birth, Canadian by choice."

The biggest mistake when it comes to "Pinball", comes when underestimating him. He solves problems by motivating teams of individuals. His commitment, once made, is his bond. I cannot think of an instance when Mike made his mind up, and didn't deliver.

Mike is a Hall of Famer, a husband, Dad, HC and player, philanthropist and man of great faith, to name only a portion of his character. He and Diane open their home, and have made Canada a welcome place for new players and coaches. He is a wonderful mentor.

The CFL Board of Directors would be crazy not to explore his interest.

Only Jake Gaudaur, CFL Commissioner comes to mind when I think of historic precedent. Gaudaur was a player, GM, President and multiple Grey Cup Champion. The league thrived under his leadership.

I guarantee you that Clemons would have all the time in the world for fans, owners and players alike. I challenge anyone to put forward a more complete candidate.

Paradoxically, I can't think of anyone more Canadian than Mike and Diane Clemons!
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-29-2017 at 06:45 AM.