Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Just wondering, anyone know if Pinball himself has expressed any interest in the position. If he is interested, I would hope he would reach out to the league. If he doesn't, I don't see him even being on their radar.
    Not on their radar. Wow. Let's just hire another Orridge with passing knowledge of the league.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Why would Pinball even want the job? I suspect he makes more money as a motivational speaker than he would as commissioner, and he doesn't have to constantly herd 27 cats the way a commissioner does.

IMO they should be looking for someone with a track record of generating sustainable revenue growth and building long-term partnerships that lead to sustainable revenue growth. Pinball has a unique and commendable set of skills, and a personality that is in a class of its own, so I believe he could do the second part of that without difficulty. But does he have experience generating revenue growth in a challenging business environment? Regardless, tho, I honestly doubt he'd be interested.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    My question to you Paul is, should the league in their search process, ask the question of interest to "Pinball"? If Mike expresses and he is interested in taking the discussion further, should the league interview him? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity to present his vision and the business metrics?

Should the league assume he isn't interested? Should the league assume he isn't capable?

If the final two questions are affirmative on the leagues part, I think the league and this country had better look in the mirror! A holier-than-though attitude exists in a country that still has a long way to go.

I am sure "Pinball," if considered, lost to a better suited candidate would understand. If he isn't consider a suitable candidate to interview, a backlash will surely occur. Wouldn't that compound a current problem and not correct it?

The Michael "Pinball" Clemons Story has yet to be written. I only hope it has a happy ending.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-30-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    My question to you Paul is, should the league in their search process, ask the question of interest to "Pinball"? If Mike expresses and he is interested in taking the discussion further, should the league interview him? Shouldn't he be given an opportunity to present his vision and the business metrics?

Should the league assume he isn't interested? Should the league assume he isn't capable?

If the final two questions are affirmative on the leagues part, I think the league and this country had better look in the mirror! A holier-than-though attitude exists in a country that still has a long way to go.

I am sure "Pinball," if considered, lost to a better suited candidate would understand. If he isn't consider a suitable candidate to interview, a backlash will surely occur. Wouldn't that compound a current problem and not correct it?

The Michael "Pinball" Clemons Story has yet to be written. I only hope it has a happy ending.
    Holier than thou attitude about what?

What current problem are you referring to?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Holier than thou attitude about what?

What current problem are you referring to?
    I am grappling for a reason why the CFL Board of Directors are not interested in "Pinball" for Commissioner and have not contacted him for a interview. I know this from a source in the CFL office.

There are two responses as to why they are passing on him as a candidate.

Reason 1. Mike isn't interested. That is flatly untrue.

Reason 2. Mike is incapable of being the next CFL Commissioner. That's a very interesting conclusion. Even more so without bothering to interview him. I can list the reasons he has to be interviewed:

1. impeccable character,
    2. Ivy League business degree,
    3. multiple Grey Cups rings,
    4. successful business
    5. Coupled by a grinding public service schedule.

Hmmm. But he isn't worthy of an interview.

Mike has given selflessly to the cause of the Argos and the CFL. All without asking once for anything in return.

I can only come to some very uncomfortable conclusions why he just "isn't our guy".

Tomorrow morning he might get the call and before I know, he's The CFL Commish. I welcome all here to call me out as a lunatic! A dream conclusion.

But if tomorrow morning a search candidate is announced as the new CFL Commissioner and Mike was never interviewed, I can only come to a very uncomfortable conclusion. I don't think it would be very long before the public became aware of it as well. The liberal, open minded CFL myth would be debunked.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    But you shouldn't be speaking for Mr. Clemons and Paul isn't even apart of the hiring committee, so you're really wasting your energy campaigning so strongly for Pinball at this moment on this board.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    But you shouldn't be speaking for Mr. Clemons and Paul isn't even apart of the hiring committee, so you're really wasting your energy campaigning so strongly for Pinball at this moment on this board.

I am not speaking for Mr. Clemons. I am speaking about a process and what I have learned talking to contacts in the league and across the country. I am sorry if it sounds like I speak for him.

I disagree. Things change after being posted here. Do you believe that this forum is only for the internal purposes of a handful of Argos fans? I don't. It is semi-private, but the powers-that-be get the point.

This is a sounding board to convey informal information. A back channel as one might say.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Reason 1. Mike isn't interested. That is flatly untrue.
    If you know for a fact that he is interested, then my question is, what's he waiting for? He should get in touch with the board chair and throw his hat in the ring.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Over a period of two weeks, in his spare time, "Pinball" and the "Pinball Clemons Foundation" will have successfully raised over one million dollars for food banks and inner city education. He's done this in addition to running his business! These two successful campaigns:

1. EDUCATION http://victorycharityball.com
    2. FOOD BANK DRIVE: JUSTGIVE31 Food Bank Drive video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51x-vJ8hHnQ&sns=em

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am not speaking for Mr. Clemons. I am speaking about a process and what I have learned talking to contacts in the league and across the country. I am sorry if it sounds like I speak for him.

I disagree. Things change after being posted here. Do you believe that this forum is only for the internal purposes of a handful of Argos fans? I don't. It is semi-private, but the powers-that-be get the point.

This is a sounding board to convey informal information. A back channel as one might say.
    Wouldn't Pinball have made a ton of contacts by now? If he was seriously interested, wouldn't he have maybe mentioned it to those in high places, especially to those within the CFL and it's Board of Governors? I don't know if they would consider him but i'm sure he could throw his hat into the ring if he really wanted to.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I can only hope that an interview is offered. Surprising don't you think, that a candidate of Pinball's caliber needs to approach the CFL and ask for an interview? A professional search company will probably be engaged. Earning a rather large stipend and requiring candidates to identify themselves seems strange. One would hope that he would be at the least, an obvious candidate for consideration. Am I the only one who finds this bizarre?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I find it bizarre that he would not reach out directly, if interested.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    #Argos Fan Day would be an excellent day to ask "Pinball" his interest in the position of CFL Commissioner!

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    No one here has seen the job description which lays out the requirements and qaulifications.
    Judging by previous CFL commish's and the commissioners in other leagues, I think the board of governors are looking for an executive/CEO type of person that has been successful in sports managment or the media etc. I don't think he has the qualifications.
    Just because he has done a lot in the community, fundraising, public speaking, popular with CFL fans, ex-coach and player doesn't mean that he is qaulified to be a commissioner of the CFL. He has to meet the criteria and check all the boxes laid out by the board of directors.

I think it will be someone from a successful league like the NFL or NBA, possibly a current exec at Rogers or MLSE. They will want to bring in someone from outside the CFL, new blood with new ideas.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think the previous Commissioner fits that bill. That really worked well for the CFL didn't it?

I agree, he has done a lot in the community, fundraising, public speaking, popular with CFL fans, ex-coach and player isn't a drawback, right? Jake Gaudaur had some of those characteristics and the league thrived. I never said he was the only candidate, but from a fan's point of view, he should be considered.