Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Make Michael "Pinball" Clemons CFL Commissioner!!

I believe the time is right for Michael "Pinball" Clemons as CFL Commissioner. He's the right man for the job. Let's hope the Board of Governors pick the "People Choice" this time. Let "Pinball" lead.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think he would be a great commissioner, both because of his knowledge of the game, his communication skills and the way he interacts with people.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    He doesn't need the headache.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I hope it doesn't happen. Just like I would wish he would never get into politics. There is not a person in Canada that dislikes Pinner. Why take a job that will definitely to some degree change that? He'd be much better off on the Argos payroll than the league's. Just my opinion.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    That job could be the only thing that could erase that smile from his face.

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    All valid points. CFL Commissioner is truly a tough job. It is entirely understandable if he doesn't want the position. It is also unfathonable if he isn't offered the position.

Mike has a lifetime of nothing but success. Difficulties have dogged him since youth. Undersized, he was always told he wasn't big enough to play football. He was born in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mother. His mom made his education his first priority. Football was his avenue to an education. He was offered business schooling at Harvard and William and Mary Colleges. Both academic powerhouses. William and Mary College provided a full scholarship. Back then Harvard didn't offer scholarships. Mike had no alternative but to accept a scholarship.

As an honours student in business he was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs. Clemons was an All American Division I -AA. After a successful 1st year, he returned to William and Mary to finish and graduate business with honours, knowing that it might cost him his NFL job. His promise to his mother superceded his NFL career. The Toronto Argonauts took advantage of this opportunity and signed him. After dominating the CFL, the NFL came knocking with multiple promises. Knowing that a football career is tenuous at best, and only one injury from ending, "Pinball" declined all offers.

He went on to win three Grey Cups as a player and one as a HC. He stepped down to focus on being a father to his children through their formative years. He felt he couldn't keep the kind of commitment required as a HC and be the kind of father his children required.

His children have now grown and this mission was accomplished with honours!

He feeds the family with a successful motivational speaking business.

His passion is his charitable foundation, the Pinball Clemons Foundation, and he gives back to those with similar backgrounds. His charitable focus, derived from his Mom, focuses on education both abroad and in the inner city of Toronto. Recently, he has identified local hunger as an issue to be tackled. His JUSTGIVE31 food bank drive identified that in the GTA, supplies of food run dry in the summer months when need is great. He found a matching donor (full disclosure a Ticat fan) and recently raised about $500,000 for eight regions across the GTA, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

"Pinball" and Diane are committed to Canada with their recent Canadian citizenship. He proudly proclaims "American by birth, Canadian by choice."

The biggest mistake when it comes to "Pinball", comes when underestimating him. He solves problems by motivating teams of individuals. His commitment, once made, is his bond. I cannot think of an instance when Mike made his mind up, and didn't deliver.

Mike is a Hall of Famer, a husband, Dad, HC and player, philanthropist and man of great faith, to name only a portion of his character. He and Diane open their home, and have made Canada a welcome place for new players and coaches. He is a wonderful mentor.

The CFL Board of Directors would be crazy not to explore his interest.

Only Jake Gaudaur, CFL Commissioner comes to mind when I think of historic precedent. Gaudaur was a player, GM, President and multiple Grey Cup Champion. The league thrived under his leadership.

I guarantee you that Clemons would have all the time in the world for fans, owners and players alike. I challenge anyone to put forward a more complete candidate.

Paradoxically, I can't think of anyone more Canadian than Mike and Diane Clemons!
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-29-2017 at 06:45 AM.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    You don't need to convince any of us on his resume.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Just need to convince the CFL Board of Governors of the obvious.

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    All valid points. CFL Commissioner is truly a tough job. It is entirely understandable if he doesn't want the position. It is also unfathonable if he isn't offered the position.

Mike has a lifetime of nothing but success. Difficulties have dogged him since youth. Undersized he was always told he wasn't big enough to play football. Born in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mother. His mom made his education his first priority. Football was his avenue to an education. He was offered business schooling at Harvard and William and Mary Colleges. Both academic powerhouses. William and Mary College provided a full scholarship. Back then Harvard didn't offer scholarships. Mike had no alternative but to accept a scholarship.

He had honours in business and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs. All American Division I -AA. After a successful 1st year, he returned to William and Mary to finish and graduate business with honors, knowing that it might cost him NFL job. His promise to his mother superseded his NFL career. Toronto Argonauts took advantage of this opportunity and signed him. After dominating the CFL, the NFL came coming with multiple promises. Knowing that a football career is tenuous at best, and only one injury from ending "Pinball" declined all offers.

He went on to win three Grey Cups as a player and one as a HC. He stepped down to focus on being a father to his children through their formidable years. He felt he couldn't keep the kind've commitment required as a HC and be the kind of father his children required.

His children have now grown and this mission was accomplished with honours!

He feeds the family with a successful motivational speaking business.

His passion is his charitable foundation Pinball Clemons Foundation and he gives back to those with similar backgrounds. His charitable focus, derived from his Mom, focuses on education both abroad and in the inner City of Toronto. Recently, he's identified local hunger as an issue to be tackled. His JUSTGIVE31 food bank drive identified that in the GTA, supplies of food run dry in the summer months when need is great. He found a matching donor (full disclosure a Ticat fan) and recently raised about $500,000 for 8 regions across the GTA, Hamilton and Kitchener/Waterloo.

"Pinball" and Diane are committed to Canada with their recent Canadian citizenship. He proudly proclaims "American by birth, Canadian by choice."

The biggest mistake when it comes to "Pinball", comes when underestimating him. He solves problems by motivating teams of individuals. His commitment once made, is his bond. I cannot think of an instance when Mike made his mind up, and didn't deliver.

Mike is a Hall of Fame husbands, Dad, HC and player, philanthropist and man of great faith, to name only a portion of his character. He and Diane opened their homes and have made Canada a welcome place for new players and coaches. A wonderful mentor.

The CFL Board of Directors would be crazy not to explore his interest.

Only Jake Gaudaur, CFL Commissioner comes through mind when I think of historic precedent. CFL player, GM, President and multiple Grey Cup Champion.

I guarantee you that he would have all the time in the world for fans, owners and players alike. I challenge anyone to put forward a more complete candidate.

Paradoxically, I can't think of anyone more Canadian than Mike and Diane Clemons!
    I don't know if that qualifies him as a CFL - commissioner. Sounds like he would be more suited to be hired by the CFL as an ambassador or head of marketing etc.
    There has been no ex-CFL player hired as a commish in the past 20 years, none of the previous commissioners had any experience or background in football.
    The commish of the MLS came out of the NFL. Bettman of the NHL had no hockey experience. It's not a requirement to have CFL or a sports background to take a CEO type as head of a league

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Marc Cohon was very successful. Marketing extraordinaire. He had a Chief Executive Officer who ran the business. Previous to that the previous Commissioners were poor and the league suffered. Doors in the media and business sector in the GTA are open to Mike. Work on he league in this are is much needed.

The last time a Grey Cup winning player/GM became Commissioner Jake Gaudaur, coincided with the most success period in league history in the modern era. Toronto & Montreal thrived. A player/coach isn't a handicap.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-28-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd rather not see Pinball have to deal with the massive amount of headaches that are the Board of Governors.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think if Mike he really wants to be part of the solution, it would be a shame if he wasn't given the chance.

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Marc Cohon was very successful. Marketing extraordinaire. He had a Chief Executive Officer who ran the business. Previous to that the previous Commissioners were poor and the league suffered. Doors in the media and business sector in the GTA are open to Mike. Work on he league in this are is much needed.

The last time a Grey Cup winning player/GM became Commissioner Jake Gaudaur, coincided with the most success period in league history in the modern era. Toronto & Montreal thrived. A player/coach isn't a handicap.
    Ancient history before the era of negotiating TV contracts, dealing with the corporate sector and the exclusive advertisers, marketing.
    Mike Clemons is a successful motivational speaker, fundraiser etc but that doesn't qualify him as a CEO.
    He would be great at CFL HQ in a marketing/motivational role.
    I guarantee that his resume doesn't qualify him as a Commish and the CFL will not hire him as a Commish. It will be someone with the qualifications similar to Cohon who was an NBA executive or Orridge who negotiated the CBC Olympic contract and World Cup conntract or the head of the MLS who was an NFL executive.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just need to convince the CFL Board of Governors of the obvious.
    I think that you'd have to convince Pinball too.
    :-)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's a very good point!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    But leadership doesn't mean multitasking businessman. If the league is happy where they are, hire a manager
    To maintain it.

I think the modern Commissioner has to be a CFL Ambassador with a big dream. To carry out his dream he has a full staff at CFL Headquarters.

Lee Iacocca inspired.

John Kennedy said we do things because they're hard, not because they're easy. He didn't say we'll put a man on the moon when technology permits. He challenged America 'before the end of this decade!'

I'd love "Pinball", or the next Commissioner, to commit to a 10th team in the CFL. The Maritime Schooners. Establish a goal to have a 10th franchise granted by the end of the 2020 Season.

Create excitement, create a bold future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    But leadership doesn't mean multitasking businessman. If the league is happy where they are, hire a manager
    To maintain it.

I think the modern Commissioner has to be a CFL Ambassador with a big dream. To carry out his dream he has a full staff at CFL Headquarters.

Lee Iacocca inspired.

John Kennedy said we do things because they're hard, not because they're easy. He didn't say we'll put a man on the moon when technology permits. He challenged America 'before the end of this decade!'

I'd love "Pinball", or the next Commissioner, to commit to a 10th team in the CFL. The Maritime Schooners. Establish a goal to have a 10th franchise granted by the end of the 2020 Season.

Create excitement, create a bold future.
    That would be a goal that is doomed for failure IMO. We have been waiting since the early 1980s for something to happen out east including owners to step forward and a stadium to be built. I am extremely confident in saying that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that anything will happen by 2020 or 2021. I don't see Pinball being able to magically make this happen either.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That would be a goal that is doomed for failure IMO. We have been waiting since the early 1980s for something to happen out east including owners to step forward and a stadium to be built. I am extremely confident in saying that there is not a snowball's chance in hell that anything will happen by 2020 or 2021. I don't see Pinball being able to magically make this happen either.
    That was an example. But great leaders with bold visions have been mocked for centuries.

I don't think anyone on this page would disagree that "Pinball" is both a great man and an outstanding leader of men.

EXAMPLE 1

I can confirm that well over 250 Kenyan schools are now full of children who otherwise wouldn't be receiving any education. In 2010 when Craig Kielburger identified the both need and the process, Mike he set an outlandish goal of building 131 schools. He over shot that goal by +119 schools.

EXAMPLE 2

In 2016, "Pinball" identified the problem that food banks from Niagara to Clarington shelves run dry in summer when the need is greatest. Food banks typically have too much during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter.

In 2017, and over a 6 week period of time, Mike put together a team that included Mayors, Police Chiefs, Corporate, Community and Schools called JUSTGIVE31. The net result was enough cash raised for food banks to buy the equivalent of 1.25 million lbs of food to those people marginalized by society.

I have spoke to the food banks, and they are overwhelmed by Mike's success.

EXAMPLE 3

The CFL Board of Governors are welcome to review the fiscal performance of the Toronto Argonauts during the period of time when "Pinball" was President. I am confident that the "books" speak for themselves.

EXAMPLE 4

Without exception, most corporate 'managers' that I have worked with took 100% of the credit for successful operations and deflected 100% of the failures.

Perhaps one of Mike's shortcomings in getting this job is that he refuses to be given credit for his long track record of success. You have all heard him credit 11 other players for his personal achievements. When blame is looking for a home, he accepts it willingly.

That certainly skews public perception. But that is Mike.

EXAMPLE 5

Not to forget, "Pinball" has five Grey Cup rings during his tenure in the CFL. Only CFL Commissioner Jake Gaudaur was with more Grey Cup teams in the history of the league.

Of course, if "Pinball" did nor receive the support of the Board of Governors or the required resources, his commishership could prove a challenge. I am pretty sure the achievements in Example 1 - 5 were not without obstacles.

WHAT I WANT

I am not asking for the CFL to acclaim Michael " Pinball" Clemons as Commissioner. I will certainly raise holy 'Hell' if the Board doesn't interview him and makes an uniformed decision. These nine teams are only custodians of a venerable Canadian institution. Like all trustees, they have a fiduciary responsibility to the public. A backroom dealings that result in a less than optimum result is not acceptable. I support the best candidate for the job!

Thanks to this forum for a vehicle for my views.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-30-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just wondering, anyone know if Pinball himself has expressed any interest in the position. If he is interested, I would hope he would reach out to the league. If he doesn't, I don't see him even being on their radar.
    It's us vs the rest of the country