Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Take a look at the Argos offence and decide who you'd keep for 2017 TRAINING CAMP

Argos' roster

QB:

Kilgore, Logan
    LeFevour, Dan
    Willy, Drew
    Ray, Ricky
    Fajardo, Cody

In absence of another veteran QB, yes, I keep Ricky Ray. I also keep Cody Fajardo because we do not have a complete perspective on his potential because of the injury he suffered in August. Willy can take a hike, and I'm not 100% ready to give up on Kilgore in spite of how bad he looked this season. LeFevour can also come back for TC.

RB/FB:

Cross, Declan
    Dupuis, Alexandre

Coombs, Anthony
    Malena, Ben
    Whitaker, Brandon

Kackert, Chad

Say what you will, but Whitaker has played his heart out this season and at least deserves a chance to prove he can do it again in 2017. We don't know anything about Malena so we could use a TC for evaluation. I'm sorry, but it is time to move on from Chad Kackert. What is the sense of him just sitting on the PR. Coombs I think will not be retained while the two FB return.

WR/SB:

Jones, Brian
    Noel, Llevi

Posey, DeVier
    Shaw, Kenny
    Wylie, Devon
    Spencer, Diontae

Durie, Andre
    Bradfield, Kevin (still listed on Argo roster but wasn't he released)
    Davis, Andre
    Jacobs, Chuck
    Lewis, Jameon
    Morgan, Joseph
    Williams, Malcolm

I definitely retain the top six names here, but ensure that whoever is GM brings in a vet or two. Durie is at the end I'm sorry and I don't know enough about the other names on the list to properly evaluate.

OL:

Campbell, Joseph
    Holmes, Tyler
    McEwen, Sean
    Sackey, D.J

Smith, Wayne
    Van Roten, Gregory
    Van Zeyl, Chris
    Watman, Corey
    Bourke, Josh
    Circelli, Joe
    Wallace, Davonte
    Washington, Brandon

The top four are no-brainers IMO, although Holmes hasn't been nearly as good as he's been in the past. Van Roten and Watman would be capable back-ups IMO.

I'll do defence later.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Frank Z mentioned that Spencer will try the NFL. I don't see him making it, but I could see him signing elsewhere. I think CVZ is done and has been for a couple seasons. Would love Willy (Cody Pickett #2) to be gone, but that won't happen. Whittaker is a consummate pro, but lacks speed.

Only hope for the line is if Sackey and Campbell can play meaningful snaps. I do like Kenny Shaw, but huge upgrades are needed, was Durie even dressed last night? He did not get the playing time he deserved this season, doubt he figures in. Coombs will go elsewhere (home to Winnipeg).

I like LeFevour, but I think he and Kilgore will be sent packing. I sense Ray will turn to coaching next year somewhere.

Put out the "Help Wanted" signs. The only saving grace is the rest of the East is not that far ahead of this Argo team...except Montreal, they are screwed for a while.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Frank Z mentioned that Spencer will try the NFL. I don't see him making it, but I could see him signing elsewhere. I think CVZ is done and has been for a couple seasons. Would love Willy (Cody Pickett #2) to be gone, but that won't happen. Whittaker is a consummate pro, but lacks speed.

Only hope for the line is if Sackey and Campbell can play meaningful snaps. I do like Kenny Shaw, but huge upgrades are needed, was Durie even dressed last night? He did not get the playing time he deserved this season, doubt he figures in. Coombs will go elsewhere (home to Winnipeg).

I like LeFevour, but I think he and Kilgore will be sent packing. I sense Ray will turn to coaching next year somewhere.

Put out the "Help Wanted" signs. The only saving grace is the rest of the East is not that far ahead of this Argo team...except Montreal, they are screwed for a while.
    What a ClusterFork. Milanovich and Barker, et al., need their cans fired out of a cannon asap. Alas, just as I feared over the final 1/2 or so of the season, this pair has (mis)managed to negatively affect the team's next season at the very least.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    What a ClusterFork. Milanovich and Barker, et al., need their cans fired out of a cannon asap. Alas, just as I feared over the final 1/2 or so of the season, this pair has (mis)managed to negatively affect the team's next season at the very least.
    Agreed, they're in no better shape than any expansion franchise (at least the expansion team would have their first round pick).
    Roster needs a complete overhaul, not nearly good enough in any aspect.
    Only positive for me is only 1 game left.
    Couldn't imagine a season worse than 2015 but they managed to pull it off in 2016.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Agreed, they're in no better shape than any expansion franchise (at least the expansion team would have their first round pick).
    Roster needs a complete overhaul, not nearly good enough in any aspect.
    Only positive for me is only 1 game left.
    Couldn't imagine a season worse than 2015 but they managed to pull it off in 2016.
    2015 I felt the team did not play well, but managed to win 10 games....2008 and 2009 maybe the worst back to back seasons in my memory....could be duplicated in 2017 though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    2015 I felt the team did not play well, but managed to win 10 games....2008 and 2009 maybe the worst back to back seasons in my memory....could be duplicated in 2017 though.
    2015 was brutal for various reasons with the team being shuttled around like some second rate high school team playing "home" games away from home so the mediocrity was somewhat excused, this year really no excuses, the ill fated gamble on Ray staying healthy with no viable backup blew up on them big time coupled with a lineup full of holes, suspect coaching and here we sit.
    Yes sir, at least we have something to look forward to!!
    Last edited by Argo57; 10-22-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    QB:
    I'd bring back Ray (as a backup/mentor), Kilgore, LeFevour (good back-up and short yardage QB IMO), and Fajardo. Willy can take a hike, and IMO we need to bring in another young QB. With each passing game I'm losing hope of seeing Baker Mayfield wearing double blue, but I'd still love to see it.

RB:
    I see Coombs leaving (why would he stay if he's not going to be used here ?), I could see him head to Winnipeg. Dupuis IMO is a good FB, so I'd keep him around and Cross is still young, so I have no issue seeing him back. Bring BWhit back and I suppose Malena (just to see if he can progress), but the team needs to bring in bigger backs that are more explosive IMO. Lastly, time to let Kackert go - why is a 5 year vet who's time as a starter or even roster player has ended, using a PR spot when we could bring in a young guy ?

WR/SB:
    I agree with Don Argo: keep Posey, Wylie, Noel (struggled running routes, but young so need to be patient), Jones, Spencer (if they can), and Shaw. As with Don Argo: I don't know enough about the other guys to say if we should keep or cut 'em. If Durie doesn't retire on his own, time to let him go. TBH, I don't think we have the talent to replace the 3 towers right now, so we need to at least find replacements for Gurley and Elliott IMO.

OL:
    Keep Campbell, Sackey, McEwen, Holmes (hopefully he can rebound), and Van Zeyl (but only at RG or backup IMO). Van Roten and Watman I'd keep as back-ups, but neither are starters IMO. I'd release Bourke, his salary could be useful elsewhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    RB:
    I see Coombs leaving (why would he stay if he's not going to be used here ?), I could see him head to Winnipeg.
    Coombs is a fast and elusive young player who seemed to be essentially deprecated under the current regime.
    That would be motivation enough to move on, even if the team wasn't a mess.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    QB:
    I'd bring back Ray (as a backup/mentor), Kilgore, LeFevour (good back-up and short yardage QB IMO), and Fajardo. Willy can take a hike, and IMO we need to bring in another young QB. With each passing game I'm losing hope of seeing Baker Mayfield wearing double blue, but I'd still love to see it.

RB:
    I see Coombs leaving (why would he stay if he's not going to be used here ?), I could see him head to Winnipeg. Dupuis IMO is a good FB, so I'd keep him around and Cross is still young, so I have no issue seeing him back. Bring BWhit back and I suppose Malena (just to see if he can progress), but the team needs to bring in bigger backs that are more explosive IMO. Lastly, time to let Kackert go - why is a 5 year vet who's time as a starter or even roster player has ended, using a PR spot when we could bring in a young guy ?

WR/SB:
    I agree with Don Argo: keep Posey, Wylie, Noel (struggled running routes, but young so need to be patient), Jones, Spencer (if they can), and Shaw. As with Don Argo: I don't know enough about the other guys to say if we should keep or cut 'em. If Durie doesn't retire on his own, time to let him go. TBH, I don't think we have the talent to replace the 3 towers right now, so we need to at least find replacements for Gurley and Elliott IMO.

OL:
    Keep Campbell, Sackey, McEwen, Holmes (hopefully he can rebound), and Van Zeyl (but only at RG or backup IMO). Van Roten and Watman I'd keep as back-ups, but neither are starters IMO. I'd release Bourke, his salary could be useful elsewhere.

Receivers = lots of new additions needed for TC; Wylie has done little to nothing; I liked Spencer last year, but his hands recently look very suspect; Posey maybe - nice resume, he might be a good one; Shaw has flashed some talent but nothing overly impressive IMO, but he could maybe become a good one too; Jones could become a star old-time style big CFL slotback - like an Elgaard or Clermont; Noel has route running "struggles" - where the &*** do you get this from?- Scotty Millanovich? - Noel made 2 real nice catches in the few times they even targeted him; Jones & Noel IMO have the potential to be top notch CFL receivers; time to get rid of the Durie/Coombs hybrid slot spot if they have no faith in it and/or other teams have it figured out - and go with a more traditional slot. Bring in lot of new import talent for TC and maybe they find another Inman or Gurley (oops) type.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Receivers = lots of new additions needed for TC; Wylie has done little to nothing; I liked Spencer last year, but his hands recently look very suspect; Posey maybe - nice resume, he might be a good one; Shaw has flashed some talent but nothing overly impressive IMO, but he could maybe become a good one too; Jones could become a star old-time style big CFL slotback - like an Elgaard or Clermont; Noel has route running "struggles" - where the &*** do you get this from?- Scotty Millanovich? - Noel made 2 real nice catches in the few times they even targeted him; Jones & Noel IMO have the potential to be top notch CFL receivers; time to get rid of the Durie/Coombs hybrid slot spot if they have no faith in it and/or other teams have it figured out - and go with a more traditional slot. Bring in lot of new import talent for TC and maybe they find another Inman or Gurley (oops) type.
    Amazing how in your mind Spencer has suspect hands but Jones who now has 3 clean drops to 9 catches doesn't. For the record, I think Jones is going to be a very good player. Anyone who has watched Noel closely can see that route running needs to improve. I mentioned this months ago and closely watched him when he was on the field the last couple of home games. Unfortunately, he only played 1 year of CIS ball, so he is definitely going to need time, but I think he can develop into a good one.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Whoever the GM turns out to be they better have a bonanza recruiting year heading into 2017.
    Recievers, DB's, RB and of course QB.
    No ones jobs are safe, the overall talent level with the Argonauts doesn't stack up with many of the teams in the CFL.
    Who knows if Ray will return, Durie, Coombs, Spencer (he can go)??
    Will Greenwood want to hang around with his concussion issues earlier?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm not really counting on anyone to be back for next season. The young Canadians plus Greenwood & Gabriel should all be back but other than that only Lemon, Shaw, Spencer and possibly Ray and Whittaker deserve to be in camp.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I'm not really counting on anyone to be back for next season. The young Canadians plus Greenwood & Gabriel should all be back but other than that only Lemon, Shaw, Spencer and possibly Ray and Whittaker deserve to be in camp.
    Lemon does not seem to stay in one place for very long. I see him going back out West during the offseason ( I think he becomes a FA) to a team like BC that is a contender. Whittaker, if he is back will really be pushed by a younger RB.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I did not expect you to be the person seeking a complete bloodletting.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Lemon does not seem to stay in one place for very long. I see him going back out West during the offseason ( I think he becomes a FA) to a team like BC that is a contender. Whittaker, if he is back will really be pushed by a younger RB.
    Lemon signed a 2 year deal with the Riders, so we have him for another year.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    I did not expect you to be the person seeking a complete bloodletting.
    As the season went on, I started losing faith. I used to think we had a good core of Canadians. It's evident we must go younger. Foley, Bourke, Durie, CVZ are getting up there in age and were all rather ineffective. Even Black and Gabriel did disappoint. Although it pains me to say that Durie was underused IMO. Perhaps, he's not what he once was but played hard every time he could. Averaged 10 yards a catch. But I get it, they had to add an extra fullback.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 10-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Excellent analysis by Argofans--thank you. A couple of comments:
    .Kackert should be given the chance to win a spot in training camp for his loyalty and tenacity. If he doesn't make it, so be it.
    .Coombs is a better RB than slotback --fast, shifty and strong.
    .Wylie has impressed with his receiving ability every time he has been given a chance--could be a good one
    .Willy has not impressed. If he wants to have a crack at training camp it should be with a new reduced contract. Perhaps performance based.
    .If Malanovich is not the coach, we will probably see more changes--especially at QB

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Excellent analysis by Argofans--thank you. A couple of comments:
    .Kackert should be given the chance to win a spot in training camp for his loyalty and tenacity. If he doesn't make it, so be it.
    .Coombs is a better RB than slotback --fast, shifty and strong.
    .Wylie has impressed with his receiving ability every time he has been given a chance--could be a good one
    .Willy has not impressed. If he wants to have a crack at training camp it should be with a new reduced contract. Perhaps performance based.
    .If Malanovich is not the coach, we will probably see more changes--especially at QB
    Agreed with all points, especially that of Coombs. Although Whitaker should be commended for his effort and a pretty good season, Coombs should have played more at RB. I stated earlier this year that I would have started Coombs there, and that would have given the Argos the opportunity to play Jones and Noel at that spot, where they wouldn't necessarily have to take them out in formations that required TE's, as both are big and strong, and can easily line up there.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    QB:

RB:

WR/SB:

OL:
    Can't add much to this. But Calgary is the Model to follow on how to succeed. Which might involve a new offensive approach beside personnel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Can't add much to this. But Calgary is the Model to follow on how to succeed. Which might involve a new offensive approach beside personnel.
    One problem: There's only one John Hufnagel.