Why the CFL is integral to Canada's sporting identity:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...ting-identity/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great article. Thanks for posting it otherwise I would have missed it. In the comment section some real winners as usual.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Should have posted this link in my earlier post. The comment section for the article annoys me. Trust me this link is really worth watching. Brilliant and truthful writing. Some of you maybe have not seen this but I still believe the CFL is the best football product. I also think a good CFL team can beat NFL teams in CFL rules. I also don't understand why so many Canadians idolize the USA. It all comes down to perception and $$$$. So much hype and no substance. I think this clip of the TV show The Newsroom clearly states why wannabe Americans living in Canada put down the CFL.

https://youtu.be/1zqOYBabXmA

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Loved this article (completely ignored the comments) and agree that I've often felt like a CFL apologist. But I love that I can bring my family to a game and it not cost me hundreds of dollars. I love that the players are involved in the community and that the back bone of every organization is made up of people who are doing this because they love the game. Yes there are several just hoping for an NFL opportunity but those that have been around awhile are doing it because they love it. I've gotten the sense from the Argos Defence this year that they are made up of these kinds of people. Should be a fun year and I'll always support this league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I am selling two Argos jerseys on kijiji and got an inquiry from this guy wanting to
    Buy it (for a lowball price but hey that's kijiji).

Here is the exchange after he made me his offer

Him: I'll do the $20 then if you'll do it. Not sure the player but my friend likes the CFL I don't know why they're trash.
    Sent from Outlook

Me: whose trash?

Him: CFL

Me: who is your team?

Him: Big Ben and the steelers!

Me: ever go to a game there?

Him: yes and penguins too.

Me: that's interesting

Him: why is that interesting?

Me: Because your the first of a handful of NFL fans I have met that have actually gone to a game in a city. You see I don't understand the meaningfulness to a Canadian person cheering for the jaguars as an example and most I ask wearing NFL jerseys for teams have never set foot in Jacksonville or any other league city and have no intention too.

BTW I am a CFL fan that's why I have jerseys. So don't really appreciate my passion and my country's league being called trash.

You're friend has great taste and feel free to pass on my invitation for them drop by the tailgate for the home opener. I will be the guy with the most amazing tailgate truck there is and will be easy to find. He/she will be most welcome. And if you come I will even save a burger for you too. That's the kind of guy I am.

Him: That's way too nice! You might convert me into a fan! I use to have season tickets to the argos as a kid but don't go anymore. I might need a bigger size for my buddy he's kinda fat and white doesn't suit him either

Me: see you guys Sunday!

Sometimes an attempt to understand is the best approach. At least we can take the high road when encountered with ill informed opinions that our league sucks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    For those negative about the CFL due to recent Toronto Argonauts malaise, plenty of criticism has to be laid at the feet of the Argos. Past mismanagement has plenty do with recent poor attendance. Don't blame the quality of the CFL game. The Argos house is now in order and they offer a great value if you love football.

I am sure when the millennials are a little older they'll start to see up & down cycles. A secret for you, housing prices do go down and interest rates do go up!

Blue Jay fans don't seem to remember when they couldn't draw flies? Bandwagon has tripped over itself the last couple years at the Dome? Even TFC fans don't remember lean times?

The Grey Cup 2012 rocked the city. The CFL may not be for you, but 50,000 had as good a football day in this city in years. Our family loves all football - CIS, NCAA, CFL & NFL. We've been to Super Bowls, Grey Cups, Notre Dame vs Michigan State, Georgia Tech vs Boston College. Season tickets holders to Argos since the sixties. I've paid more for the taxes on my Super Bowl tickets than Argos season tickets. I only bring this up for those shallow individuals who might think that our love is both narrow and provincial.

It's funny how NFL players enjoy the CFL. We've met Russell Wilson in BC, Jon Ryan in Regina and Dontrell Inman in Toronto. Joe Theismann, Rocket Ismail and Doug Flutie are very accessible at games in Toronto.

We love the Americans that love the CFL and fly to Canada to watch games. US boarder cities are full of CFL fans catching broadcasts for years. Knowledge and respect of the CFL is deep as far south as football crazy Oklahoma and Texas. I've commented there that CFL commands more respect down there than many places in the GTA.

We love the accessibility of CFL players. Pro football players enjoy our game, but there is a peculiar species known only to frequent the GTA social media that need to trash our game. Because you buy a jersey and can spell Green Bay hardly makes you a football aficionado.

Even those Toronto sport figures who have been known to be negative to the CFL, often when pushed often display an innate love for this game and his history.

For those unimpressed by the CFL, I say it's your loss. Lots of people watch the Kardashians family too, but I'll take my own Canadian family anytime.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I am selling two Argos jerseys on kijiji and got an inquiry from this guy wanting to

Him: I'll do the $20 then if you'll do it. Not sure the player but my friend likes the CFL I don't know why they're trash.
    Sent from Outlook

Me: Because your the first of a handful of NFL fans I have met that have actually gone to a game in a city. You see I don't understand the meaningfulness to a Canadian person cheering for the jaguars as an example and most I ask wearing NFL jerseys for teams have never set foot in Jacksonville or any other league city and have no intention too.

BTW I am a CFL fan that's why I have jerseys. So don't really appreciate my passion and my country's league being called trash.

You're friend has great taste and feel free to pass on my invitation for them drop by the tailgate for the home opener. I will be the guy with the most amazing tailgate truck there is and will be easy to find. He/she will be most welcome. And if you come I will even save a burger for you too. That's the kind of guy I am.

Him: That's way too nice! You might convert me into a fan! I use to have season tickets to the argos as a kid but don't go anymore. I might need a bigger size for my buddy he's kinda fat and white doesn't suit him either

Sometimes an attempt to understand is the best approach. At least we can take the high road when encountered with ill informed opinions that our league sucks.
    I agree with the highroad attempt. There's no converting anyone to anything with underhanded insults. But, really I don't understand anyone's obsession with a team from a far away land. I do admit in the late 80s early 90s I was a New Orleans Saints fan, mainly because a) I was young b) they were a decent team b) I had taken 2 vacations to New Orleans and I liked the city. I was still an Argos fan the whole way through though. Why? Because this is my city, and I had attachments to the Grey Cup win in '83, and the near win in '87. And of course because the Argos were a TORONTO team. It wasn't until about '92 that I rid myself of the Saints gear and went pure Argo. I really don't care what people like, I don't really care for the NFL, but like what you like. I'm an Argo fan because I'm from Toronto, and I love Canadian football. No excuse needed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Why the CFL is integral to Canada's sporting identity:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...ting-identity/
    Donnovan Bennett is one of the good ones at Rogers. His wife, btw, is Kate McKenna who does some segments for the CFL on TSN and used to work for the CFL itself.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Donnovan Bennett is one of the good ones at Rogers. His wife, btw, is Kate McKenna who does some segments for the CFL on TSN and used to work for the CFL itself.
    It was maybe 5-6 years ago that Kate was the in-stadium host for the Ticats.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

Sent from Outlook

Nice exchange. We all should convert people like you, one at a time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    For those negative about the CFL due to recent Toronto Argonauts malaise, plenty of criticism has to be laid at the feet of the Argos. Past mismanagement has plenty do with recent poor attendance. Don't blame the quality of the CFL game. The Argos house is now in order and they offer a great value if you love football.

I am sure when the millennials are a little older they'll start to see up & down cycles. A secret for you, housing prices do go down and interest rates do go up!

Blue Jay fans don't seem to remember when they couldn't draw flies? Bandwagon has tripped over itself the last couple years at the Dome? Even TFC fans don't remember lean times?

The Grey Cup 2012 rocked the city. The CFL may not be for you, but 50,000 had as good a football day in this city in years. Our family loves all football - CIS, NCAA, CFL & NFL. We've been to Super Bowls, Grey Cups, Notre Dame vs Michigan State, Georgia Tech vs Boston College. Season tickets holders to Argos since the sixties. I've paid more for the taxes on my Super Bowl tickets than Argos season tickets. I only bring this up for those shallow individuals who might think that our love is both narrow and provincial.

It's funny how NFL players enjoy the CFL. We've met Russell Wilson in BC, Jon Ryan in Regina and Dontrell Inman in Toronto. Joe Theismann, Rocket Ismail and Doug Flutie are very accessible at games in Toronto.

We love the Americans that love the CFL and fly to Canada to watch games. US boarder cities are full of CFL fans catching broadcasts for years. Knowledge and respect of the CFL is deep as far south as football crazy Oklahoma and Texas. I've commented there that CFL commands more respect down there than many places in the GTA.

We love the accessibility of CFL players. Pro football players enjoy our game, but there is a peculiar species known only to frequent the GTA social media that need to trash our game. Because you buy a jersey and can spell Green Bay hardly makes you a football aficionado.

Even those Toronto sport figures who have been known to be negative to the CFL, often when pushed often display an innate love for this game and his history.

For those unimpressed by the CFL, I say it's your loss. Lots of people watch the Kardashians family too, but I'll take my own Canadian family anytime.
    I went to watch BC in Montreal last year on my own as my wife had to go to a work function there. I sat next to a guy from Baltimore wearing his Stallions jersey. He came all the way up just for the game. I thought that was pretty cool. A convert from the 1990's.