Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

I was wrong - we’re going with seven NATs this year

I made a bet with OV that we would start more than the minimum seven NAT players this year. Confident that the flexibility/injury-proofing associated with starting eight would compel our new GM to go that route, I called OV out on this topic. Yeah, about that...

I was completely wrong.

Did camp injuries derail a plan to start more Canadians? No. Whether Brian Jones is injured or “injured”, there is no evidence that he was ever a projected starter this year. Jamal Campbell has been healthy and got a long look in camp, apparently, but was never mentioned as a potential “ratio breaking” NAT left tackle. Cory Greenwood has had health issues (and continues to have them), but we let him go before Popp even arrived.

OV was right.

Unlike me, he paid attention to Popp’s personnel deployment history and reasoned that it wasn’t likely to change. Well done.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    This is the depth chart for one game, not the entire season. The plan could change as the season unfolds. TBH, tho, I doubt it will, unless J Campbell develops into a starter or we pick up a starting-calibre NAT LB somehow. I'd personally rather go with eight or nine NAT "starters" because that allows a hell of a lot of substitutions without ratio contortions, but you need guys ready to start who will bring enough to the table to warrant starting them.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    7,8,9, whatever gives the team the best chance to win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    7,8,9, whatever gives the team the best chance to win.

I agree.

However - assuming that it's 7 only need apply is limited/myopic, but typical CFL GOB stuff - sorry, but predicting that is pretty easy, IMO.

The RedBlacks & Stumps - the 2 GC finalists from last year - will be the only 2 CFL teams this season to not defer to 7 only need apply thinking. Ottawa had 9 NI starters last game, plus Lavoie plays lots of reps on offence; Lattanzio in the D-line mix; and Gillanders took over at RB and did a real nice job. So that was at least 12 Canadians playing plenty of reps on both O & D and they should have beat the supposed powerhouse Stamps (got robbed on that botched no fumble call). The Stumps started 8 NIs last game, but only one on D - MLB Singleton - after they went NI at one DT spot last season.

Maybe the Argos give Noel or Ralph some playing time on offence; or maybe Onyeka who looked outstanding on D in the ex. game gets some real reps on the D. We shall see.

Teddy Morris - pull together. ;o)

Last edited by OV Argo; 06-25-2017 at 01:44 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Argos ended up playing eight Canadian "starters" for much of the opener as rookie Robert Woodson had to replace Josh Mitchell in the second quarter after Mitchell appeared to sustain a serious knee injury. Late in the fourth quarter, yet another Canadian DB - Matt Webster - had to come in for Akwasi Owusu-Ansah when the latter was experiencing some cramps.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force