Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't believe any actual starters played tonight for the Argos. But some young Canadian backups got a lot of playing time. Ralph and Williams should be kept around somewhere as WR depth. Woodson at safety. Late round pick Carson played almost the whole game at DT didn't look out of place. Jamal Campbell looks like the best young Canadian back up O-Lineman. Sackey and Woods don't look they will be able to play any time soon at Guard. Kolankowski didn't look out of place at Center but McEwen backed by Watman are ahead of him. Newton should make the team for ST's. Herdman shows more quickness in game play than testing, might show enough for a PR spot. Mathews surprised a bit at QB and his experience showed. Both Bethal-Thompson and Prukop showed some promise. Who do you keep there as a 4th stringer?
    Worthy looks like he could make the team as a Returner/WR. Maybe WR's Watson and Johnson as well on the PR. Brooks at DB played well enough for a PR spot.
    I would have liked to see young Canadians like Jones and Noel get some more game experience instead of some who won't be kept around.
    Don't remember so many rookies and young players seeing so much playing time in a pre-season game and still win the game. Trestman does things different and the rookies playing experience will show up down the road when their turn comes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't understand the hate for Mathews on here. He was the best of our QB's tonight despite who he was playing. He's only 25. I think it would be foolish to cut him at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Tomorrow should be an interesting day in the CFL.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Level
    Looked to me like we had no glaring missed assignments, and our tackling was generally good.

Considering our o-line were backups and were matched up against many of their starters, I thought all our QBs stood up to the pressure quite well.

In three camp visits and two preseason games. Jimmy Ralph impressed me every time. I can't see him not making the team.

Most important, no serious injuries that I can remember.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    What's a truer???? and what has Levi Noel done consistently to show that he's a truerer??? He's the new Spencer Watt of National receivers, a hyped guy who did so little.

On a positive note, you could tell this regime is soo much better at acquiring talent than Barker and Milo...no more Henry Jose trying out at RB, or Todd Lowber trying out at receiver. Not as many fillers in camp just being warm bodies.
    Truer: the comparative adjective form of "true". I just meant that our team seems to designate certain positions for nats and others for imports. From what I gather, it seems like we're leaning toward one of the starting WR positions being a national, and it's a good idea to have good national backups for that position.

Noel showed flashes last year, he's got a year of experience at the pro level, and he's played in more than just two preseason games. Plus he's good on specials.

Agreed on the talent in camp. I like that they brought in a ton of WRs and DBs, and that they're taking a good look at a power running back. Ray, Willy, and Fajardo on the roster, bethel-thompson (because he's a pocket passer in the Ricky Ray style) to the PR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Mathews surprised a lot of people, including me, tonight.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    What's a truer???? and what has Levi Noel done consistently to show that he's a truerer??? He's the new Spencer Watt of National receivers, a hyped guy who did so little.

On a positive note, you could tell this regime is soo much better at acquiring talent than Barker and Milo...no more Henry Jose trying out at RB, or Todd Lowber trying out at receiver. Not as many fillers in camp just being warm bodies.
    In case you missed it last season - Noel made 2 terrific grabs, including a TD, on one series, in his ultra limited playing time; when he starts playing lots and gets targeted lots, and drops passes or does little, you can start running jabs about him. but for now, your opinion about him is total garbage, with no on field evidence to back it up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I don't understand the hate for Mathews on here. He was the best of our QB's tonight despite who he was playing. He's only 25. I think it would be foolish to cut him at this point.
    I have never been a huge Jeff Mathews fan but he played very well on Friday night.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    In case you missed it last season - Noel made 2 terrific grabs, including a TD, on one series, in his ultra limited playing time; when he starts playing lots and gets targeted lots, and drops passes or does little, you can start running jabs about him. but for now, your opinion about him is total garbage, with no on field evidence to back it up.
    Suddenly the Argos have too much NAT talent at the receiver positions. Maybe we really could go with two starting NATs. I'd be perfectly content with Noel/Williams/Ralph sharing one receiving slot and Coombs/Jones/Cross sharing the other. That's a lot of talent with the ability to give the offence a lot of flexibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I hope we don't see this uni combo ever again. Please go back to contrasting pants/jerseys, and save the white helmets for the white jerseys.
    Gotta disagree vehemently, Paul, I think the white socks work great with the white helmets and blue unis, kinda reminds me of the '67 home look.

argos67.jpg

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have never been a huge Jeff Mathews fan but he played very well on Friday night.
    I find it curious that The Professor spent the whole game trying to determine who the #4QB is when he hasn't officially named a #2 yet. I am assuming it will be Willy which I think would be a mistake.

But whoever the #2 is, wouldn't it have been wise to get him some playing time in this game to build up some confidence for when he is needed?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I find it curious that The Professor spent the whole game trying to determine who the #4QB is when he hasn't officially named a #2 yet. I am assuming it will be Willy which I think would be a mistake.

But whoever the #2 is, wouldn't it have been wise to get him some playing time in this game to build up some confidence for when he is needed?
    It's at least possible that Fajardo ends up No. 2 and Mathews No. 3. I think it's doubtful because I have a hard time seeing them risk having no experienced backup behind Ricky. But it's at least conceivable. Did Mathews play well enough last night to have them let Willy go? Maybe Sask would take him back in a trade?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Very few projected starters played last night on either side of the ball. Bear Woods started at MLB and had 3 tackles (incl. 1 TFL) in I'd say a quarter of play. Great closing speed on the ball carrier, damned glad to have him and hope he can stay healthy. Of note I wanted to highlight this from the Argos website:

A handful of Toronto Argonauts 2017 CFL Draft picks proved their worth on Friday night: LB Nakas Onyeka (3 DT, 1 TFL, 1 QP), DL Evan Foster (3 DT, 1 ST, 1 QS), S Robert Woodson (3 DT, 1 ST, 1 QS), LB Justin Herdman (1 DT, 1 QS). I think Onyeka got the opportunity to lineup with Bear Woods in the first quarter.

Argos defence looked pretty good against Collaros considering it wasn't the "A" unit out there. Collaros missed on several throws and was pressured on several others. The Ticats left him in long enough to put together that touchdown drive. The Argos allowed another TD on a short field, but shutout the Tiger-Cats after that. The caveat being that the final two Ticat QB's that played (Keith and Kilgore) were awful.

Bethel-Thompson looked exactly like a QB seeing his first CFL game action. He played against the Ticat first-stringers and struggled a little bit and also had a couple of breakdowns by the OL that didn't help him. Seemed to find a nice rhythm by the end of the first half. Of concern (in spite of the starters not being in there) is that the Argos did surrender 7 sacks last night, several were coverage sacks but still a stat you never like to see.

Special teams coverage was OK. Allowed some big returns, but looked great on other punts/kickoffs too.

Some interesting questions for Propp and Trestman to answer including:

1) Who won the KR/PR battle? Both Worthy and Jackson had a few nice returns, and both flashed a bit on offence.

2) How many of the draft picks make the team? As highlighted above, 4 flashed potential last night.

3) Did Mathews do enough last night to stick on the roster and, if so, at whose expense?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's at least possible that Fajardo ends up No. 2 and Mathews No. 3. I think it's doubtful because I have a hard time seeing them risk having no experienced backup behind Ricky. But it's at least conceivable. Did Mathews play well enough last night to have them let Willy go? Maybe Sask would take him back in a trade?
    Be great to get a 1st Rounder, and a starting All-Star DB

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

A handful of Toronto Argonauts 2017 CFL Draft picks proved their worth on Friday night: LB Nakas Onyeka (3 DT, 1 TFL, 1 QP), DL Evan Foster (3 DT, 1 ST, 1 QS), S Robert Woodson (3 DT, 1 ST, 1 QS), LB Justin Herdman (1 DT, 1 QS). I think Onyeka got the opportunity to lineup with Bear Woods in the first quarter.
    Who of our group with the CIS knowledge knows which of these prospects can go back an play University Ball this year? That'll be a big hint on who stays and who doesn't I should think. OV?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Shout out to the Ticats for Game Day experience. A multiple of activities and experiences were available at Tim Hortons Field and a few more will be added when the season begins. Bob Young isn't resting on his laurels and continues to be a CFL model owners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

1) Who won the KR/PR battle? Both Worthy and Jackson had a few nice returns, and both flashed a bit on offence.

3) Did Mathews do enough last night to stick on the roster and, if so, at whose expense?
    A exciting PR has been sorely missed. I love a guy who can bust his way right up the gut like Clemons, Dorsey and Owens used too. Which one is these guys broke that nice return up the middle last night? It was shades of Pinball the way he was juking. He gets my vote.

As I mentioned in another post, Mathews is only 25. He outplays the other QB's but gets axed for a 29 year old Bethel-Thompson or even a 30 year old Willy? Hard decisions today.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Shout out to the Ticats for Game Day experience. A multiple of activities and experiences were available at Tim Hortons Field and a few more will be added when the season begins. Bob Young isn't resting on his laurels and continues to be a CFL model owners.
    Agree. It's a great time and an envious setup. Props also to the fans. As an Argos fan sitting right in the middle of hostile territory last night, I was treated fine. Even had good chats going and leaving the stadium. The "class" of fans is much higher than when I was a regular in Box G or H at Ivor Wynne.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Suddenly the Argos have too much NAT talent at the receiver positions. Maybe we really could go with two starting NATs. I'd be perfectly content with Noel/Williams/Ralph sharing one receiving slot and Coombs/Jones/Cross sharing the other. That's a lot of talent with the ability to give the offence a lot of flexibility.

All those ex-NFL resume receivers in camp - and none seemed to step-up to grab a starter job as a CFL receiver - guys like Stephen Hill (cut) and Justin Brown (what happened to him?); Joe Morgan has played and caught some passes last night; Worthy too - but maybe none of those guys make the team and it's all import receivers who have CFL experience who make it (Green, Fuller as vets, plus Posey & Edwards played some in the league last year) ?

I think the Argos could easily go with 2 starting NI receivers out of Jones, Noel, Coombs or young guys like Ralph & Williams who have really impressed. But they won't; unless there is some sort of dreaded "ratio problem" that dictates they have to start 2 NIs there to make the 7 only.

And if Jones & Noel are not that highly regarded for playing time by the new regime, that did not draft them, then maybe they could make good trade bait - the Ticats & Bombers in particular are pretty thin in terms of NI receiver talent.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Agree. It's a great time and an envious setup. Props also to the fans. As an Argos fan sitting right in the middle of hostile territory last night, I was treated fine. Even had good chats going and leaving the stadium. The "class" of fans is much higher than when I was a regular in Box G or H at Ivor Wynne.
    We noted exactly the same thing last night. Friendly banter from the Ticat fans. Even when we confronted Argos sucks, fans quickly warmed. They just didn't have a sufficient imagination to come up with something creative. My 16 year old son grew up watching Argos games in The Hammer. He learned, but wasn't allowed to use a number of colourful words there. Haha

They are looking forward to a turn in fortunes down the QEW. Argos weakness doesn't help the Ticats one bit. I've gone to Ivor Wynne since Theismann threw 5 interceptions, four to Al Brenner. Then went on to a Super Bowl. The Hammer was no friend to Joe the Throw. Truely a historic rivalry.