Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Who will be the new CFL Commissioner?

While Duane Forde is out of the running for CFL commissioner since he never submitted an application, there are many others rumoured to be in the running, including Randy Ambrosie, a former OL with the Argos, Stampeders and Eskimos, who was runner-up to Jeffrey Orridge last time; Wayne Parrish, a former sports columnist and Canada Basketball executive; and TSN's Glen Suitor. Who do you think it will be?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Look for a CEO type like Scott Mitchell. I suspect the owners don't want to repeat the Jeffrey Orridge mistake and go in a progressive marketing direction. Given that the owners are all CEO types, they will want one of their own. I think it's a big mistake, but until I own a team I won't get a say.

IMHO the candidate should be ambassadorial. The candidate needs to expand the CFL and be effective with the lost generation- millennials, Gen X & Gen Z. The candidate should have CFL team operating experience, preferably demonstrating skills in delivering a club out of turmoil.

Randy Ambroise is rumoured as a candidate. A good guy and CFL Alumni and teammate of Wally Buono. President of AGF Funds. Left after AGF Funds Ltd. Enterprise value dropped from $3.7 billion to $500 million. Had a consulting business for financial advisors for a while, then was President of a small brokerage firm before it was bought out in 2016.

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/16/ru...e-time-around/
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 06-17-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    As long as the person has a strong legal and business background, I think that's what they need and someone very comfortable with the media which I think the Orridge's biggest weakness.

The person doesn't have to have a CFL or even a football background. Actually it's better that he/she doesn't and surrounds him/herself with them.

They need a fresh voice, but at times doubt they'll like the sound of it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Unless the Commish gets full autonomy from the Board, I don't think it matters much who they hire. Parrish does seem intriguing though.

Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Paul Pearson

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Wayne Parrish...are we frickin serious. Is this the same Wayne Parrish who ran the sports section at the Toronto Star in the late 80's. The same era which coincidentally (or not) saw Toronto Argonauts coverage and CFL coverage diminished considerably in their paper. The same guy who once appeared on a Grey Cup Pre-game show in 1989 or 1990 to declare that there would be no CFL teams in Southern Ontario within 8 years. He went on to head basketball Canada. These are facts

The rumours...he hated the CFL and ordered coverage to be diminished as Sports editor at the star, declaring it as over-covered, in much the same Steve Simmons used to say at the Toronto Sun. He (Parrish) never even liked the sport of Canadian Football, maybe even football in general. Whether these are as factual and dramatic as I'm trying to make them out to be, I'm not sure and that's why I've called them rumours. Who knows what his sentiments were then, and maybe more importantly, what they are now?

I honestly don't know what to think of this? particularly if he did apply for the position. I personally hope a guy like Tom Mayenecht applied for the position, because I think he'd be a great seller of the league to the business community throughout the country.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Remember the same time they reported across the board THE LAST GREY CUP, in all papers and all stations. Thats what I thought when I saw the name Wayne Parrish, but said to myself...could not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Wayne Parrish...are we frickin serious. Is this the same Wayne Parrish who ran the sports section at the Toronto Star in the late 80's. The same era which coincidentally (or not) saw Toronto Argonauts coverage and CFL coverage diminished considerably in their paper. The same guy who once appeared on a Grey Cup Pre-game show in 1989 or 1990 to declare that there would be no CFL teams in Southern Ontario within 8 years. He went on to head basketball Canada. These are facts

The rumours...he hated the CFL and ordered coverage to be diminished as Sports editor at the star, declaring it as over-covered, in much the same Steve Simmons used to say at the Toronto Sun. He (Parrish) never even liked the sport of Canadian Football, maybe even football in general. Whether these are as factual and dramatic as I'm trying to make them out to be, I'm not sure and that's why I've called them rumours. Who knows what his sentiments were then, and maybe more importantly, what they are now?

I honestly don't know what to think of this? particularly if he did apply for the position. I personally hope a guy like Tom Mayenecht applied for the position, because I think he'd be a great seller of the league to the business community throughout the country.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Like it or not Parrish is the type of Exec. you'd want as the Commissioner. I'm not crazy about Parrish either, but he has the resume that fits.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

My original thoughts. I think this is a different Wayne Parrish. This one is Chairman of Basketball Canada and is a graduate of Rothman Institute of Corporate Directors according to LinkedIn.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    My original thoughts. I think this is a different Wayne Parrish. This one is Chairman of Basketball Canada and is a graduate of Rothman Institute of Corporate Directors according to LinkedIn.
    Same Wayne Parrish.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Same Wayne Parrish.
    Wow, he's really sanitized his CV! Old Wayne Parrish or new Wayne Parrish, which one does the CFL hire? Man, I'd stay miles away from that hire.

I also note that he has deleted 99% of his tweets since 2009. Probably job interview killers.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Me
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Me
    You've got my support.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Unless the Commish gets full autonomy from the Board, I don't think it matters much who they hire. Parrish does seem intriguing though.
    I agree with you on this. Maybe once Braley sells the Lions and is out of the picture, we won't have to worry about all his allies on the board backing whatever he wants.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with you on this. Maybe once Braley sells the Lions and is out of the picture, we won't have to worry about all his allies on the board backing whatever he wants.
    Funny thing is, you would think things would be changing on the Board due with some of the new owners (CSEC - Stamps, OSEG - Ottawa, and TanenBELL).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    There's no doubt Braley made things difficult for more than one commissioner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Remember the same time they reported across the board THE LAST GREY CUP, in all papers and all stations. Thats what I thought when I saw the name Wayne Parrish, but said to myself...could not be.
    From all that Wayne Parrish should be the perfect fit. The CFL got lucky when they hired Cohon, but other than that they have had a string of duds since Larry Smith, and he was questionable.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    From all that Wayne Parrish should be the perfect fit. The CFL got lucky when they hired Cohon, but other than that they have had a string of duds since Larry Smith, and he was questionable.
    Larry Smith was a fabulous CFL Com, love the guy, he is at least responsible for setting up Montreal as we now know them, he was the key guy that is responsible for Montreal success, going into smaller stadium, getting corporate sponsors, guiding them for a number of years until they found their footing. US expansion almost worked, but regardless I love the guy

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Larry Smith was a fabulous CFL Com, love the guy, he is at least responsible for setting up Montreal as we now know them, he was the key guy that is responsible for Montreal success, going into smaller stadium, getting corporate sponsors, guiding them for a number of years until they found their footing. US expansion almost worked, but regardless I love the guy
    Not criticizing Larry Smith, who I think did a good job in very adverse circumstances, but I don't think he deserves credit for the Alouettes moving to McGill Stadium. That move was essentially forced upon the team by a conflicting booking (U2) at the Big O. They played a game there, discovered it was a charming, intimate venue, and the rest is history.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Scott Mitchell would be ideal in my opinion. He is no nonsense and is already well versed in what is going on and where it needs to go. He might have some enemies on the board, however I see him as the risk free option.