Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Roster

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Just wondering if there is anyone on the waiver wire that could help the team and add to the numbers chaos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I am glad the Drew Willy trade can now go down in the books....as an official disaster.

Let it be a lesson learned, and it shall be an example of how to shred a team to pieces. It'll be an example of what NOT to do for a long, long time.

It probably cost Barker and Milanovich their jobs, and both are decent football men.

It should also be an example of how you can follow a football team, passionately, yet still find fault with blatant mistakes such as this unmitigated and desperate blunder. It's not treasonous as some would have it. Just endemic intuition.

I expect another All Star season from TJ Heath, and it looks like Faith may even start in his rookie season.
    Last edited by Jon Gonzo; 06-18-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Um, it "shredded the team to pieces... for the next decade, at least"? That's an... interesting statement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Let it be a lesson learned, and it shall be an example of how to shred a team to pieces...for the next decade, at least.

I expect another All Star season from TJ Heath, and it looks like Faith may even start in his rookie season.
    The next decade? Seriously? And if the Argos win the Grey Cup this year, what then?

Maybe Faith starts from Day 1, maybe he develops into an all-star. Or maybe he doesn't. Maybe Heath becomes a perennial all-star. Or maybe he doesn't. None of those outcomes is known yet, so to pronounce this as a trade that shredded the team to pieces for at least a decade seems just a tad over the top.

A year ago at this time, none of us knew anything about TJ Heath. He had a decent season, before and after the trade. He made some big plays and, like all DBs, he got burned on occasion. Who's to say that the Argos' two DHBs this year won't have better seasons? We'll find out in the weeks to come.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Alford and Berry were both released even though they appeared to have performed reasonably well last year and also in this year's pre-season camp and games---leaving only two backup DB's (one on the PR). Compared to the number of backups in other positions, this seems a little light.
    I count nine DBs on the roster, plus one on the PR.

Harris, Brandon
    Mitchell, Joshua
    Owusu-Ansah, Akwasi
    Sears Jr., Johnny
    Vaughn, Cassius
    Black, Matt
    Gabriel, Jermaine
    Webster, Matt
    Woodson, Robert

I guess one of them might line up at OLB but that still leaves at least three backups.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    When Ray goes down, I'd much rather take a chance on some of the young guys, then have Willy wasting the teams and fans time out there.
    That's if, not when, fortunately. And so would I. But if it happens, it will mean trying to compete without experience at QB. That's risky. (And yes, having Willy as the primary backup would also involve some risk.)

Eighteen months ago, some on here were saying the Argos had to re-sign Harris so that they could grow the fanbase by competing for a playoff spot as soon as they moved to BMO. I didn't agree that was essential. But if RR gets hurt and our fortunes go south because none of our backup QBs has significant experience, that should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It was just one year, you may want to hold off on the high expectations. We've seen many DBs have one good year in the CFL and then get figured out by receivers and QBs. He may have an all-star year, but his game may slip also. One good year at DB does not guarantee a long-term career like Carl Brazely or Corey Banks.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Let it be a lesson learned, and it shall be an example of how to shred a team to pieces...for the next decade, at least.

It probably cost Barker and Milanovich their jobs, and both are decent football men.
    The trade really didn't hurt the franchise as much as some make it. Heath can be replaced and I'm not even sure what to expect from him this season. Our top receiver left Winnipeg after a bad stint there and was just released from Ottawa. Who knows if Heath is the real deal or just benefited from getting lots of opportunities after a lot of 2 and outs and long drives from the opposing offence. That 1st pick was a blow but the new staff did a good job recovering from that lost pick and did well in the draft IMO. But the trade really didn't shred the team. This lousy football had to be shredded and we didn't trade away any of our key players.

I don't think the trade alone costed Barker's job. The trade certainly didn't help his case for returning next season but if the team can't win, he's on the hot seat regardless if he pulls that trade off or not. Could Kilgore and LeFavour squeeze us into the playoffs? Probably not. He's probably gone 99.9% if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

As for Milanovich, his job was safe and it's not like he resigned just to resign. He did get a pretty good NFL gig out of it. Barker leaving may have made his decision a lot easier but that trade did not cost him his job what so ever.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The next decade? Seriously? And if the Argos win the Grey Cup this year, what then?

Maybe Faith starts from Day 1, maybe he develops into an all-star. Or maybe he doesn't. Maybe Heath becomes a perennial all-star. Or maybe he doesn't. None of those outcomes is known yet, so to pronounce this as a trade that shredded the team to pieces for at least a decade seems just a tad over the top.

A year ago at this time, none of us knew anything about TJ Heath. He had a decent season, before and after the trade. He made some big plays and, like all DBs, he got burned on occasion. Who's to say that the Argos' two DHBs this year won't have better seasons? We'll find out in the weeks to come.
    Mis-stated. Awkward sentence. Fixed. What I was trying to say, is that it'll live as an example for a long while. I stand by the rest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's if, not when, fortunately. And so would I. But if it happens, it will mean trying to compete without experience at QB. That's risky. (And yes, having Willy as the primary backup would also involve some risk.)

Eighteen months ago, some on here were saying the Argos had to re-sign Harris so that they could grow the fanbase by competing for a playoff spot as soon as they moved to BMO. I didn't agree that was essential. But if RR gets hurt and our fortunes go south because none of our backup QBs has significant experience, that should not come as a surprise to anyone.
    It's not a question of if Ray gets injured anymore, it's when IMO.
    As for Willy and his experience - Willy's a poor QB, and his experience sure didn't keep him here in Toronto. Experience is good when a player is at least decent - Willy couldn't go past his first read, and once he got hit: game over. Willy even with a restructured deal still came with a heavy price tag, and I think a large part of the reason for his release was Matthews play in the second preseason game (still not a fan of Matthews). Ergo, why pay Willy when Matthews could theoretically give you the same production for less money ?

If the Argos wanted an experienced QB, they should have gone after Tate. As I've stated previously: hedging the teams bets on Ricky Ray is asking for trouble, and now we'll see if they find it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Put it this way; I do not want to see the team I follow making moves such as this one ever again. It's bad business, and it was called as such by those in the know and those who are passionate fans of this football club. Frankly, although I respect you as a fellow fan and a good fellow, I believe this debate has been concluded. I feel fortunate that we have management that can moves this team in a positive direction now. I feel things stopped making sense last season, and I am not alone in my feelings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Tnx for the clarification. Again, tho, if two years from now Heath and Ekakitie are out of football, or Ekakitie is just another Gaydosh (one of many examples of high picks who don't pan out), or the Argos have won a Cup, I don't agree it will be remembered as a notorious example of stupidity. It's simply too early to reach such a conclusion. The full story may have been written on Willy, but it has not been on the player and picks who were surrendered for him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Must suck to be an Argo fan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Who says Ray goes down? Based on what?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Must suck to be an Argo fan.
    Not really, I'm excited to see what Fajardo and Prukop can do in the future, and will wait patiently to see them. Not to mention the slim chance the Baker MayField comes up here. Not my fault Ray can't be trusted anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Is this a serious question ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I dislike the "he said" "I said" dialogue we sometimes find ourselves getting into but perhaps, I should have been more specific in my comments about being slightly surprised at the release of both Berry and Alford.

It looks as if the coach wants to play 4 International DB's and one International hybrid DB/LB. There are presently 6 International players (Harris, Mitchell, Murray, Owusu-Ansah, Sears and Vaughn) for those 5 spots. Considering the number of International backups at other positions, having only one International backup at this position, IMO appeared a little light, especially when Berry and Alford seemed to have played reasonably well previously.

Not a big issue --just a mild surprise--that's all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I respect your views on this Paul; however, I look at this structurally as a move -- you simply do not make. You just don't do it. Willy could have/ may have been had for free, if Barker wasn't in panic mode. Or, someone like him. He clearly is not a great QB. Panic is what makes teams do dumb things. Like when the Bruins traded Thornton and Seguin. You don't trade a future hall of famer for 3 quarters on the dollar. Boston got Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart. When you make a move like this there are all kinds of implications that come to bare, and the trickle down is felt for years to come. Mike O'Connell was never trusted as a GM again. There are too few teams in this league to wasting the first choice in a Draft that has the potential to turn the fortunes of any franchise around for many years. Canadian talent is a HUGE factor. And this is a no-no. TJ Heath is another good American DB, and there are many. BUT, the Argos couldn't find them for 3 seasons straight, and he was very well respected and one of the only big play players on a bad, bad defense. It ripped the team apart and it was bad business, and bad for business.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My biggest disappointment was that Malcolm Williams didn't make the roster. Is this his 4th camp with the team? I couldn't believe how good he looked, ran a couple of crisp patterns in that Hamilton game. I wouldn't be surprised if Austin tried to grab him off our PR.
    I think this was his second camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    one QB that did not impress me may have been slightly injured, not sure why they are not cutting him, maybe you cant cut a guy injured, some suggestion he was slightly injured.
    In his defense, the Ticats played more starters against Bethel-Thompson than Mathews or Prukop. Evaluating QBs purely based on stats doesn't always tell the whole story.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Honest question, when was the last time that Willy looked good? It certainly wasn't with the Argonauts. He looked scared, tentative & hesitant during his entire tenure with the Argonauts. He didn't look any better in the preseason game to me either.
    After the game in Winnipeg (or more specifically after the Foley RTP penalty in that game), practically every Argo looked scared, tentative & hesitant. We didn't lose every one of those games just because of Willy.

Look what happened when a legend like Don Matthews was brought in mid-season to rescue the 2008 Argos. He went 0-8. Collapsing teams are hard to save.

Anyway, Willy got a fair shot this year, he's out, and that's that.

If the Argos wanted an experienced QB, they should have gone after Tate. As I've stated previously: hedging the teams bets on Ricky Ray is asking for trouble, and now we'll see if they find it.
    If the worry is the fragility of your starter, having a more fragile and smaller backup isn't my answer. And he just got hurt trying to be a hero instead of protecting himself.

Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Tate is injury prone , and I believe he is already received some kind of injury in pre season. I am happy with who we have, I think we should have held on to Dan Lef, but am happy if Cody is #2 and Mathews #3

However if a person felt they had to look outside of Argos, there was 1 player they could have gone after, the very best QB that is not currently a starter that should be a starter is Lulay.
    I said a while back that I was worried Argos would go after Tate, because he was so delicate so injury prone, glad they did not. But clearly the best QB in the league that is currently not starting is Lulay, in fact he is probably one of the top qbs in the league

I am very happy with Ray starting and Cody backing up, I hope that will be the order, clearly Mathews would be #3

As for Willy and his experience - Willy's a poor QB, and his experience sure didn't keep him here in Toronto. Experience is good when a player is at least decent - Willy couldn't go past his first read, and once he got hit: game over. Willy even with a restructured deal still came with a heavy price tag, and I think a large part of the reason for his release was Matthews play in the second preseason game (still not a fan of Matthews). Ergo, why pay Willy when Matthews could theoretically give you the same production for less money ?

Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    At the risk of getting your dander up, I will be surprised if Ray does not sit for a few games due to injury, will be surprised if he does not get more than 1 injury. Confident though if they have Cody as #2 we will be in great shape

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post