Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

NFL Draft and Free Agent Signings Impact on Argo and Ither CFL Draft Selections

NFL draft selections and free agent signings of Canadian players will impact the CFL draft selection, but perhaps not as much as in previous years. If a CFL teams feels there is a good chance there is no 2020 season because of COVID-19, it might select a talented player taken in the NFL draft earlier because he might be available by this time next year.

So far the following NFL has drafted and/or signed

• Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame: Pittsburgh Steelers, Round 2, Pick 49. ...
    • Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma: Dallas Cowboys, Round 3, Pick 82. ...
    • Carter O'Donnell, OL, University of Alberta: Indianapolis Colts. ... free agent
    • Rysen John, WR, Simon Fraser University: New York Giants free agent
    • Marc Antoine Dequoy, DB, University of Montreal, Green Bay Packers, free agent
    • Michael Hoecht, DT, Brown University, LA Rams, free agent

How do you think this will affect argo and other CFL draft picks?

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I saw a mock that predicted Argos taking O'Donnell with their first pick... but I doubt that they would do that now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If history has anything to do with it, both Claypool and Gallimore will sink like stones in the CFL Draft.

When Christian Covington was drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft, and then signed, he was picked with the 43rd pick in the CFL by BC in 2015.

So, one would think, that Claypool and Gallimore will be no higher than 7 or 8th round picks.

However, teams like the Argos have taken a chance un-drafted signees like Ryan Hunter, and he was picked late in the 1st Round in 2018.

Same goes for players like Tevaun Smith (8th overall/ 2016), Geoff Gray (8th overall).

So O'Donnell, with his commitment and signing bonus from the Colts, will likely drop down into Eli Ankou, Justin Senior and Anthony Auclair territory, which would make him a 3rd - 4th rounder.

The others, depending on what teams think of them, would, like Hunter still have an outside shot at 1st Round selections.

I believe Micheal Hoecht will go late in the 1st.

Dequoy and Rysen John likely drop to 2nd/3rd round picks
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    If history has anything to do with it, both Claypool and Gallimore will sink like stones in the CFL Draft.

When Christian Covington was drafted in the 6th Round of the NFL Draft, and then signed, he was picked with the 43rd pick in the CFL by BC in 2015.

So, one would think, that Claypool and Gallimore will be no higher than 7 or 8th round picks.

However, teams like the Argos have taken a chance un-drafted signees like Ryan Hunter, and he was picked late in the 1st Round in 2018.

Same goes for players like Tevaun Smith (8th overall/ 2016), Geoff Gray (8th overall).

So O'Donnell, with his commitment and signing bonus from the Colts, will likely drop down into Eli Ankou, Justin Senior and Anthony Auclair territory, which would make him a 3rd - 4th rounder.

The others, depending on what teams think of them, would, like Hunter still have an outside shot at 1st Round selections.

I believe Micheal Hoecht will go late in the 1st.

Dequoy and Rysen John likely drop to 2nd/3rd round picks
    Hustle hit and never quit

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd stay away from any NFL interest guys with early picks; cause there are other good prospects at those positions.

Claypool & Gallimore were write-offs to begin with.

Dequoy is IMO hands down the most talented DB prospect, but there's still a few other good DBs; and O'Donnell & Hoecht are hardly hands down best prospects at their positions (O-line & DT) = so look to other top prospects at those positions; Rysen John may have drawn NFL interest with his intriguing 6-7 frame for a receiver, but there are several other very good receiver prospects to look too. No need to get burned this draft by drafting an NFL interest guy, especially with an early pick IMO. Take a flyer on Dequoy or O'Donnell in much later rounds (5 on) if they are still there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The team should concentrate on players who they could likely sign. As OV has suggested, it would be wise to stay away from any of the players who have signed with an NFL team. The one player who might be an exception is Dequoy, as he is 26 in September and will have to really impress in his NFL training camp, since he is a little old to be a future prospect player. Might be worth a gamble at #28 in round three, though if they are going for a gamble at this spot I'd personally prefer a gamble on Pinto (assuming he is available)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    As I wrote before, I'd be fine with grabbing Dequoy or Hoecht as early as Round 2. This is an unusual year and there is no guarantee there will even be NFL camps, much less a season. If no football is played this year, the guys who signed as UFAs will be in tough to make it when football comes back because there will be another draft class in their way in 2021. And since a CFL season seems increasingly unlikely, "guys we can sign" are not as valuable as they usually are. We have vastly improved our NAT depth, so I don't see any downside in being aggressive on the guys who are trying to make it down south. (Except for the two draftees.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    As I wrote before, I'd be fine with grabbing Dequoy or Hoecht as early as Round 2. This is an unusual year and there is no guarantee there will even be NFL camps, much less a season. If no football is played this year, the guys who signed as UFAs will be in tough to make it when football comes back because there will be another draft class in their way in 2021. And since a CFL season seems increasingly unlikely, "guys we can sign" are not as valuable as they usually are. We have vastly improved our NAT depth, so I don't see any downside in being aggressive on the guys who are trying to make it down south. (Except for the two draftees.)
    I agree with all of this, but the question is, what if there is no season? It's no guarantee that the improved National depth (or any other players) may still be Argo property when football returns. I would draft any players other than Claypool and Gallimore, provided the team feels they are the best prospects early.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with all of this, but the question is, what if there is no season? It's no guarantee that the improved National depth (or any other players) may still be Argo property when football returns. I would draft any players other than Claypool and Gallimore, provided the team feels they are the best prospects early.
    I agree with drafting the best player on the board (except C and G), at least after our first two picks are made. Some of the FA NATs we obtained recently signed for more than one year, so even if this year is burned on contracts we won't be starting from zero. And if there is a massive pile of free agents heading into 2021, we should have as much of a shot at signing them as any other team does. Presumably the guys who signed with us wanted to be here, and I would think many if not most of them would also want to reup in 2021 if 2020 is written off. Most of them are local guys, which helps.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's a look at the Argo drafting strategy:

“It’s a deep draft where there are potential future starters and potential impact players in multiple positions all over the field,” said Argos’ Director of Canadian Scouting, Vince Magri. “That’s one of the really exciting things about going into this draft. With a bunch of picks in the top 20, there are so many good football players here that we’re in a position to make our roster a lot stronger.”

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, teams have had to adapt their evaluation process for the draft with the scouting combine cancelled and homes becoming temporary offices. This has allowed them to conduct team meetings to go over draft strategy and virtual interviews with prospects....

Magri said not having a combine isn’t ideal but it hasn’t thrown as big of a wrench into the Argos’ draft process. They will just continue to work with all the information they have gathered from scouting trips and the countless hours of film they have at their disposal. “The biggest thing is just not having verified testing numbers, medicals and in-person interviews. That’s what we’re missing,” explained Magri. “But by using the phone or using Zoom, there’s ways we can kind of fill those gaps and complete the picture on these prospects.”

Players have also held virtual workouts and testing for teams showing that they are staying in shape, which is important especially during this time. It also allows any prospect who might have had an injury to give teams a sense on where they are in their recovery process. ...

For the Argos, they understand how important it is to try and find players that can come in and compete right away. Especially considering that has been the recipe for success for the teams that have been able to compete on a consistent basis.

Where the team is looking to capitalize on their work is flexibility in terms of who they can select in the early part of the draft, including their territorial pick at the end of the second round. “While we don’t want to be picking in this territory round anymore, because it implies that we finished in the bottom two, there are a lot of high-quality local football players at our disposal at that pick,” said Magri. “Luckily, we’re at a point where we don’t have to reach for somebody that might not necessarily be worthy of being taken that high.”

The Argos have conducted their own mock drafts to prepare for any potential hiccups that could occur on Thursday and considering how successful the NFL was able to conduct their draft, there aren’t many concerns about the process of making a pick.

“Our staff will be videoed into each other and someone will be on a conference call with the league,” said Magri. “So really, it’s not much different than the way it’s always been since everyone is usually in a war room. The only difference, really, is that our war room is going to be a Zoom room but the way we communicate with teams and the league will be the same as usual.”
    https://3downnation.com/2020/04/29/2...nto-argonauts/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess we'll find out if TJ Jones is coming or not. If it looks like he's not going to happen, I think we will draft Brissett at 2. Murphy thinks NAT WRs can be ratio breakers, and I'm with him on that. Brissett looks like a great talent who would come a ton cheaper than Jones. Also, his brother being on the Raptors could end up helping the Argos image-wise in a lot of ways.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I always excited by the CFL draft ending the six month football famine but to think that this could be the high point of the season makes this bittersweet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC switches with Calgary for the #1 pick and #15 for #3 and #12.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Argos go local with WR Dejon Brisset, a talented player, but I'm surprised they didn't go for a OL. Below is an interview with Brisset:

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/29/path-t...ejon-brissett/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Argos go local with WR Dejon Brisset, a talented player, but I'm surprised they didn't go for a OL.
    Argos very strong at Canadian receiver, probably go O-Line with pick#9.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    With Edmonton taking Tomas Jack-Kurdyla at #4 the Argos lose the possibility of taking one the top ranked OL in readiness for play, along with Carter O'Donnell who signed with the NFL's Colts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Theren Churchill ? - a bit of an off the ratings pick maybe - but hope he pans out for the O-line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Theren Churchill ? - a bit of an off the ratings pick maybe - but hope he pans out for the O-line.
    I agree but he is big and has a reputation for being nasty on a team with had a good OL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That's the first What? Who? of the draft. I guess Murphy would have seen him play when Murph was with the Riders. Probably go home in a couple of years. lol

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Maybe the Argos have given up on the TJ Jones situation. Or still have hope and want a solid backup to learn behind him.