Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Argo Hype

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    With the greatest respect, I'm not sure what the attendance, at this present time has to do with signage equality. Argos have 10 to 20 times the television audiences and these folks are all seeing stadium ads. The Argos have a history and brand going back a century or so. But none of that should be of any concern. In a stadium financed primarily with public money and being owned by the city, there should be an overriding principle of equality, especially in signage treatment.

Argo fans don't expect preferential treatment just equal treatment.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wouldn't spend anytime worrying about derision from football hooligans. A waste of time and energy IMO.

Hats off to MLSE for stepping up and investing BIG into a city owned stadium in time to keep the Argos going. I'm fine with a slow transition into sharing this facility. Larry Tanenbaun has done plenty for this franchise over the last 18 months. Thankful.

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get, for the work you didn't do."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I wouldn't spend anytime worrying about derision from football hooligans. A waste of time and energy IMO.

Hats off to MLSE for stepping up and investing BIG into a city owned stadium in time to keep the Argos going. I'm fine with a slow transition into sharing this facility. Larry Tanenbaun has done plenty for this franchise over the last 18 months. Thankful.

"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get, for the work you didn't do."
    I agree with you.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with you.
    is that twice in 2017 AngeloV? Haha
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    is that twice in 2017 AngeloV? Haha
    No it's been more than that. I just don't want people talking.

It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    On Friday (when it was free admission, although I think you're expected to give $5 to some charity thing at the entrance) I went to the Toronto Indy and saw several people wearing Argo stuff. I heard a guy on the P.A. system mention the Argos play at the stadium, and on this 3-minute YouTube highlight video of the races on Sunday you see an Argo cap at 0:09, and the cheerleaders on the post-race victory podium starting at 2:35 .

Edit: I didn't know about this because it was before my time, but it showed up when I did a Google search.
    http://www.wheels.ca/news/speeding-t...o-a-tradition/
    In 1959 ... things happened that would lead to the eventual extinction of oval track car racing at the Ex ... the Toronto Argonauts moved from Varsity Stadium ... a "war" literally broke out between the football team and the racers. The Argos did not appreciate having their field -- in the infield of the now-quarter-mile race track -- periodically torn up by out-of-control racing cars. By the early Sixties, the football team had convinced the powers-that-be to kick the race cars out of the Ex once the regular CFL season started in July.
    Last edited by S.A.C.; 07-17-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    With the greatest respect, I'm not sure what the attendance, at this present time has to do with signage equality. Argos have 10 to 20 times the television audiences and these folks are all seeing stadium ads. The Argos have a history and brand going back a century or so. But none of that should be of any concern. In a stadium financed primarily with public money and being owned by the city, there should be an overriding principle of equality, especially in signage treatment.

Argo fans don't expect preferential treatment just equal treatment.
    A bunch of the signage you see is co-branded and partnership deals TFC has had in place in some cases for years. When those sponsorship deals come up for renewal you will see a change. One aspect of the team that is being handled by MLSE is Corporate Partnerships. You will start to see MLSE leveraging both brands TFC and the Argos together on all in Stadium stuff going forward I presume. It will take a couple of years but it will happen much like the Marlies CP deals are leveraged with Leafs Corporate Partners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

How the Argonauts are planning to make you care about them:

https://theathletic.com/76380/2017/0...re-about-them/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    How the Argonauts are planning to make you care about them:

https://theathletic.com/76380/2017/0...re-about-them/
    It's a good article. I shared the crap out if it on facebook.

I still think the argos should advertise on the 905 area public transit and papers, not everyone in the existing fanbase (which is pretty much outside of toronto) uses social media or the internet.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    CFTO just ran a piece on Doug Flutie and his Bobblehead Night. Also mentioned that you can get 2 tickets for $19.97.

EDIT: The Argonauts ran a commercial for the Flutie Bobblehead Night during the news broadcast too.
    Last edited by Neely2005; 07-19-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    It's a good article. I shared the crap out if it on facebook.

I still think the argos should advertise on the 905 area public transit and papers, not everyone in the existing fanbase (which is pretty much outside of toronto) uses social media or the internet.
    If you read the article, you presumably would have noticed this:

Contrary to the perception, Moore said most Argos season ticket holders live downtown, and not in the suburbs. She defined downtown, loosely, as the boundaries of the old city of Toronto.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If you read the article, you presumably would have noticed this:

Contrary to the perception, Moore said most Argos season ticket holders live downtown, and not in the suburbs. She defined downtown, loosely, as the boundaries of the old city of Toronto.
    A few years ago someone in the Argo offices said that 60% of the season ticket holders came from the 905 area code. So if the season tickets holders haven't increased dramatically and the crowds are down, kind of sounds like the 905 people are staying away now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Achievements:

Level
    When you only have 3000 STH I don't think it really matters where those folks are from. You are starting with a blank slate. What were SMs conclusions from this small piece of data?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    When you only have 3000 STH I don't think it really matters where those folks are from. You are starting with a blank slate. What were SMs conclusions from this small piece of data?
    Agreed -- you should be actively marketing to both the 416 and 905 in different and unique ways --- if only 3000 STH exist in total, its a little silly to say that most STH exist in the city (416), it's irrelevant at those minuscule numbers as obviously you are not drawing anywhere near enough from the 416, and thus targeting one group or the other does not appear to be working (or make sense) - they must cast a much wider net to draw both young professionals who may be in the city, and those with families who are more likely to have moved to the suburbs....and a different approach is needed to attract both groups..... (make it hip and cool for the young professionals - tie it in to a networking kind of thing, give more freedom to roam in the North and South ends for example where people can socialize); and also marketed as a form of inexpensive (more like $50 for a family pack of 2 kids and 2 adults and not $99, maybe a $10 presto card given out upon arrival with each pack to compensate for some of the travel expense - I don't know?) family entertainment that is accessible for those who are coming from further out - free swag for the kids, cheap kids ticket, free popcorn in the family section (it's dirt cheap so it's no great expense etc.)
    Last edited by Argos1983; 07-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The ticket deal for Monday's game ($19.97) is being advertised in a third-page ad in the Burlington Post.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The ticket deal for Monday's game ($19.97) is being advertised in a third-page ad in the Burlington Post.
    Good to hear.

Anyone seen any ads in the Durham region papers?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    In this day and age, it's very difficult for established organizations (including sports franchises) to create buzz in the ways that worked years ago (mainly with print, radio and TV). Today, people mainly create their own "buzz" on social media. One of the most clever things I've seen in connection with the Argos of late was the stuff on social media from the Leafs' Mitch Marner enjoying the home games in a private suite with his buddies.

Beyond all that... since the stadium issues have largely been fixed... the performance of the team now becomes extremely important. In this area, we're certainly off to a good start. This year's team seems committed, talented and (perhaps due to new leadership) highly professional. A strong play-off caliber season... hopefully followed up by some real noise once they get there... would go a long way towards inching the attendance numbers up as this season progresses. More importantly, it would provide a solid base for next year's season ticket drive. To that end... I really feel that the ability to keep Ricky Ray healthy and productive is actually very important to the long term future of the Argonauts.
    Last edited by Tobin Rote; 07-21-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Left a word out...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    Agreed -- you should be actively marketing to both the 416 and 905 in different and unique ways --- if only 3000 STH exist in total, its a little silly to say that most STH exist in the city (416), it's irrelevant at those minuscule numbers as obviously you are not drawing anywhere near enough from the 416, and thus targeting one group or the other does not appear to be working (or make sense) - they must cast a much wider net to draw both young professionals who may be in the city, and those with families who are more likely to have moved to the suburbs....and a different approach is needed to attract both groups..... (make it hip and cool for the young professionals - tie it in to a networking kind of thing, give more freedom to roam in the North and South ends for example where people can socialize); and also marketed as a form of inexpensive (more like $50 for a family pack of 2 kids and 2 adults and not $99, maybe a $10 presto card given out upon arrival with each pack to compensate for some of the travel expense - I don't know?) family entertainment that is accessible for those who are coming from further out - free swag for the kids, cheap kids ticket, free popcorn in the family section (it's dirt cheap so it's no great expense etc.)
    The Argonauts don't control the concessions at BMO Field so nothing is dirt cheap.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post

Question: for RedBlacks games in Ottawa - transportation to the game is free via OC Transpo to all ticket holders (and the drivers don't even check to see if you do have a ticket) - lots of buses leaving well before and up to game time from some of the big bus stations in Ottawa - easy & free for fans to get to Lansdowne - bus drops you off right outside the stadium. Do the Argos have any such deals with public transit in the GTA? - and if not, why or could they?

Also - is it possible to move & roam all over BMO stadium - to go on tour for different sight lines or to get food/beer or to visit friends ? This is IMO a nice feature of the new TD Place set-up at Lansdowne and a lot of people take advantage - creates atmosphere/fan friendly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Question: for RedBlacks games in Ottawa - transportation to the game is free via OC Transpo to all ticket holders (and the drivers don't even check to see if you do have a ticket) - lots of buses leaving well before and up to game time from some of the big bus stations in Ottawa - easy & free for fans to get to Lansdowne - bus drops you off right outside the stadium. Do the Argos have any such deals with public transit in the GTA? - and if not, why or could they?

Also - is it possible to move & roam all over BMO stadium - to go on tour for different sight lines or to get food/beer or to visit friends ? This is IMO a nice feature of the new TD Place set-up at Lansdowne and a lot of people take advantage - creates atmosphere/fan friendly.
    With the bureaucracies at the TTC and GO good luck. And if you did it for the Argonauts then you'd have to do it for the Jays, Leafs, Raptors, TFC...

This is Toronto where you can't even build a set of stairs for less than $65,000...
    :-)