Thread: Argo Hype

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Since I tuned into the CFTO news hour mid way tonight, I must have missed the item re Flutie and Bubblehead Night. Though, I do recall such an item, on CFTO sometime last week. If, it was repeated again tonight, I stand corrected.

However, it still seems strange that no mention of the game was made during the sports broadcast, considering the importance of the game and the fact that Bell, which owns CFTO, also co-owns the Argos. Considering, just about every other sport imaginable was featured, failure to at least mention the game tomorrow, raises some interesting questions.
    Just to clarify they ran it a few days ago. I don't know if they mentioned it again today or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Just finished watching CFTO sports news. Now let's set the stage---!) a win in tomorrow's game gives Argos undisputed 1st place--2) the game is a special tribute to Flutie, one of the greatest players in CFL history ---3) the team is desperate for media coverage----4) CFTO is a Bell owned station.

So what do we get on the sports news, on the station owned by one of the major owners of the Argos---golf/baseball/cycling/soccer/athletics--but nothing about the Argos or the CFL. Nothing against the other sports but if Bell owned CFTO, can't even make passing mention of tomorrow's game, then is there any doubt that the team is being ignored?

Why isn't Argonaut management pushing Bell and in particular CFTO, to give better coverage of the team? Or has Copeland and company even noticed?
    So Copeland has the responsibility of forcing Bell media outlets to talk about the Argos? If anyone has such responsibility, it should be Bell itself as 50% owners of the team.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Even the morning man for the am radio station here in Stratford did a nice job breaking down tonights game. He even reported that James Wilder JR gets the start at RB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Since I tuned into the CFTO news hour mid way tonight, I must have missed the item re Flutie and Bubblehead Night. Though, I do recall such an item, on CFTO sometime last week. If, it was repeated again tonight, I stand corrected.

However, it still seems strange that no mention of the game was made during the sports broadcast, considering the importance of the game and the fact that Bell, which owns CFTO, also co-owns the Argos. Considering, just about every other sport imaginable was featured, failure to at least mention the game tomorrow, raises some interesting questions.
    Agree with this 100%. I heard that tsn 1050 overdrive show at 4 pm will be on location at BMO Field and Doug Flutie will be on at 5 pm. With the blue jays season now done and hockey 3 months away Bell should discuss the Argos on all of their sports platforms. If they do not then I really want to know what their agenda is in owning this team.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Just finished watching CFTO sports news. Now let's set the stage---!) a win in tomorrow's game gives Argos undisputed 1st place--2) the game is a special tribute to Flutie, one of the greatest players in CFL history ---3) the team is desperate for media coverage----4) CFTO is a Bell owned station.

So what do we get on the sports news, on the station owned by one of the major owners of the Argos---golf/baseball/cycling/soccer/athletics--but nothing about the Argos or the CFL. Nothing against the other sports but if Bell owned CFTO, can't even make passing mention of tomorrow's game, then is there any doubt that the team is being ignored?

Why isn't Argonaut management pushing Bell and in particular CFTO, to give better coverage of the team? Or has Copeland and company even noticed?

THIS - is what the Argos/CFL have been up against in Toronnawannabeland - for decades. A huge majority of the media either ignores the Argos or else focus on negative or mocking coverage - cause the Argos ain't "world class" or "major league". THE. IMO, single biggest factor to explain why the Argos get such pathetic support - in the biggest demographic (by far) to draw from in the country (and i realize there are many factors at play there).

Argo fans can push back - somewhat I believe anyways. Wear your Argo gear/colours around town and don't be shy about standing up to the typical wannabe sheep who bad-mouth the Argos/CFL. That radio station could have received 50 to 100 or so calls, asking to speak to the manager or the head of the sports department or even the news announcer: "hey, ar$e-holes, I'm a listener and an Argo fan and heard zero about the team and upcoming game on your news - what up with that, you F-ing clowns ? "

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    "hey, ar$e-holes, I'm a listener and an Argo fan and heard zero about the team and upcoming game on your news - what up with that, you F-ing clowns ?"
    I'm sure they'll take anyone like this seriously.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 07-24-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=ArgoGabe22;113475][QUOTE=OV Argo;113474] "hey, ar$e-holes, I'm a listener and an Argo fan and heard zero about the team and upcoming game on your news - what up with that, you F-ing clowns ? "

I'm sure they'll take anyone like this seriously.

Tough $hite if they don't. They would still get a message there - wannabes and dweeb/sheep deserve this, IMO.

Are you one of those Argo fans who turns away in silence when you hear the team or league mocked or cut-down by the typical wannabe? Not that there is anything wrong with that response/approach - to each his own; just not my way.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;113476][QUOTE=ArgoGabe22;113475]
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    "hey, ar$e-holes, I'm a listener and an Argo fan and heard zero about the team and upcoming game on your news - what up with that, you F-ing clowns ? "

Tough $hite if they don't. They would still get a message there - wannabes and dweeb/sheep deserve this, IMO.

Are you one of those Argo fans who turns away in silence when you hear the team or league mocked or cut-down by the typical wannabe? Not that there is anything wrong with that response/approach - to each his own; just not my way.

Like I said, I'm sure they'll do exactly what you ask them by calling them an arsehole and an F-ing clown. That's the worst possible way to stand up for the Argos IMO. You'll be instantly muted.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    FWIW, I had some difficulty getting through to the Argo ticket office this morning. What that might mean in terms of actual crowd size is unknown.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=ArgoGabe22;113478][QUOTE=OV Argo;113476]
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post

Like I said, I'm sure they'll do exactly what you ask them by calling them an arsehole and an F-ing clown. That's the worst possible way to stand up for the Argos IMO. You'll be instantly muted.

Oh, they'd hang-up/mute me for sure - I get that; but the message would still be delivered - and again, IMO, wannabe/sheep/dweebs deserve to hear that message. Sorry, one of the best possible ways to stand-up to those types. How are other methods - like sticking your head in the sand - working out there ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It has always been my philosophy that the buck rests with the top person (CEO). If Copeland is unable or unwilling to try to influence Bell, to persuade their outlet (CFTO) to give the Argos, good coverage, then one must question his priorities. Copeland may wish to delegate that line of communication but it is always more effective when the CEO directly intercedes with the top brass of the parent organization.

To have all sorts of sports headlined in the sports section of the CFTO News Hour but not to even make a passing mention of the upcoming Argo game, beggars belief. If this were a Rogers owned outlet, one could understand but this is a Bell owned station---unbelievable!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    [QUOTE=OV Argo;113476][QUOTE=ArgoGabe22;113475]
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    "hey, ar$e-holes, I'm a listener and an Argo fan and heard zero about the team and upcoming game on your news - what up with that, you F-ing clowns ? "

You can stand up for the Argonauts without insulting people. If you actually want to change someone's mind you need to do it in a polite, logical way. I've found that responding by asking if they're football fans and asking what's wrong with more football especially in the summer usually seems to work.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It has always been my philosophy that the buck rests with the top person (CEO). If Copeland is unable or unwilling to try to influence Bell, to persuade their outlet (CFTO) to give the Argos, good coverage, then one must question his priorities. Copeland may wish to delegate that line of communication but it is always more effective when the CEO directly intercedes with the top brass of the parent organization.

To have all sorts of sports headlined in the sports section of the CFTO News Hour but not to even make a passing mention of the upcoming Argo game, beggars belief. If this were a Rogers owned outlet, one could understand but this is a Bell owned station---unbelievable!
    But they did give the Argonauts coverage. How many times are they supposed to run the same exact story? And how do you know what Copeland has or hasn't done?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Obviously I'm not doing a very good job of outlining the issue/concerns. So here goes again (hopefully more successfully):
    .CFTO, a Bell owned station, on the Sunday evening sports segment of their news hour, made no mention of the Argo game on Monday
    .The sports broadcaster covered a myriad of other sports quite extensively
    .The Argos are in desperate need for media coverage--yet got none on the sports segment of the CFTO news on Sunday
    .CFTO may have covered the Flutie/Bubblehead item the week before but said nothing about the game itself on the crucial day preceding the game

As far as Copeland is concerned, I have no idea, what he has or hasn't done but judging solely by results, he has been spectacularly unsuccessful at getting the team broad and acceptable media coverage. As the CEO he has to recognize that this is a priority and must accept the success or lack of success at achieving this goal.

That's my last attempt at explaining my concern re. the absence of any mention of the Argos on CFTO's Sunday's sports segment. My apologies at any lack of clarity in articulating the essence of the concern.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Obviously I'm not doing a very good job of outlining the issue/concerns. So here goes again (hopefully more successfully):
    .CFTO, a Bell owned station, on the Sunday evening sports segment of their news hour, made no mention of the Argo game on Monday
    .The Argos are in desperate need for media coverage--yet got none on the sports segment of the CFTO news on Sunday
    .CFTO may have covered the Flutie/Bubblehead item the week before but said nothing about the game itself on the crucial day preceding the game

As far as Copeland is concerned, I have no idea, what he has or hasn't done but judging solely by results, he has been spectacularly unsuccessful at getting the team broad and acceptable media coverage. As the CEO he has to recognize that this is a priority and must accept the success or lack of success at achieving this goal.

That's my last attempt at explaining my concern re. the absence of any mention of the Argos on CFTO's Sunday's sports segment. My apologies at any lack of clarity in articulating the essence of the concern.

Oh, I for one, read you loud & clear and got the point.

A major media outlet made ZERO mention of the Argos - a local, historic team - and an upcoming Argo game, while at the same time reporting on all sort of other sports (let me guess - a lot of it American or "World" sports news?). AND this media outlet might be able to be influenced by Argo ownership (it would seem logical ?)

That this snub could happen is (IMO) almost beyond belief. But a shrug of the shoulders acceptance of the situation by many, might be a part of the problem = Argos getting little respect/recognition/coverage in their own city.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    [QUOTE=Neely2005;113490][QUOTE=OV Argo;113476]
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post

You can stand up for the Argonauts without insulting people. If you actually want to change someone's mind you need to do it in a polite, logical way. I've found that responding by asking if they're football fans and asking what's wrong with more football especially in the summer usually seems to work.

Yes - I agree; but you could do it your way, politely; and I'll stick to my way and notion that wannabe/dweebs deserve a stream of expletive delete-ives to wake them up.

The point is IMO - they need to get the message, in one form or another. And I'd wonder how many people (wether they are big Argo fans or not) have contacted (phone, e-mail, text - whatever) CFTO to let them know they missed the boat (get it?) on reporting on a local, historic team and an upcoming game with a very interesting event (96/97 GC Champs tribute) attached ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It would be lovely to have the Argos on CFTO every newscast but let's look at the factors that may have prevented it yesterday:

1. Their entire sports segment is how long? Five minutes? Less?
    2. Yesterday had a dramatic ending to one of golf's major events, and the ending of the Tour de France, and of course a Blue Jays game. Plus a dozen other baseball games, and no doubt some auto racing and other live events. Sundays are like that.
    3. TV needs moving pictures to make stories work -- Argos and RBs presumably did just a brief walk-through yesterday, and talking-head clips of coaches respecting their opponents does not make for great TV.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    What's not to buy? Even John Tory admitted that the original $65,000 estimate was outlandish. They've been trying to get those stairs built for a decade.

They both bungled Presto. The TTC was part of the process and is taking years to roll out the Presto readers. But hey at least sole souring Bombardier contract is working well for the City and the TTC.
    Rich condo owners have been trying to get those stairs built for a decade. The city deemed it a low (or no) priority and kept kicking it down the road. That $65,000 quote (you forgot the one for $100K) was made up by some city bureaucrat that backfired when Mr. Rich Condo Owner built his own stairs. Tory said what he had to because the city got embarrassed.

The Bombardier streetcar contract wasn't sole-sourced. It was half a billion cheaper than the next bid.

But enough about boring the rest of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Even the morning man for the am radio station here in Stratford did a nice job breaking down tonights game. He even reported that James Wilder JR gets the start at RB.
    Stratford breaks down an Argo game better than Toronto. That says it all.

Rogers is now marketing the Jays as a Canadian team and not just a Toronto team. When the Jays got good a couple of years ago, TSN doubled-down on their Jays coverage to compete with Rogers, which they're still doing. I don't know how the Argos can be expected to overcome that.

Tour de France? Really?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

CFTO News is doing a live segment from the Tailgate and the Game

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Rich condo owners have been trying to get those stairs built for a decade. The city deemed it a low (or no) priority and kept kicking it down the road. That $65,000 quote (you forgot the one for $100K) was made up by some city bureaucrat that backfired when Mr. Rich Condo Owner built his own stairs. Tory said what he had to because the city got embarrassed.

The Bombardier streetcar contract wasn't sole-sourced. It was half a billion cheaper than the next bid.

But enough about boring the rest of the board.

Stratford breaks down an Argo game better than Toronto. That says it all.

Rogers is now marketing the Jays as a Canadian team and not just a Toronto team. When the Jays got good a couple of years ago, TSN doubled-down on their Jays coverage to compete with Rogers, which they're still doing. I don't know how the Argos can be expected to overcome that.

Tour de France? Really?
    That's patently false:

"TTC chair Howard Moscoe defended the decision to negotiate exclusively with Bombardier because the company agreed to manufacture the subway cars at its Thunder Bay plant, where it would save hundreds of jobs."

"Councillors opposed to the sole-source contract said they will continue pushing for an open bidding process.

But Moscoe was unfazed by the continued criticism of the deal."

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/t...-deal-1.582730