Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Best Argonaut Receiving Corps Since...

It is almost unheard of for three receivers on the same team to get 100 yds, with a fourth at 70 something, in the same game. I think this is an outstanding group of receivers with a great mix of experience and youth, size and speed and savvy. Green, Fuller, Posey, Edwards and Coombs is the best group since maybe 2004 when we had Bruce, Baker, Miles, Soward and Talbot, and today's bunch will still get a lot better if they stay healthy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Oh it’s been a while that’s for sure. I’d estimate about 5 passes that were caught on Sunday (some circus-like catches, some just Ricky putting the ball where the receiver makes the play or it’s incomplete) would have been dropped a year ago.Maybe not even attempted by Ricky.

Edwards, Fuller, Posey, Green – oh my. Wylie didn’t see much of the field on Sunday and he was one of our top receivers a year ago.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The first game of the season suggests that the potential is there.

Yes, if this group lives up to it's Week 1 performance it would be the best group since 2005 when Miles, Baker and Bruce all went over 1,000-yards receiving. The Argos have only had four 1,000-yard receivers since then: Bruce (2006, 2008), Owens (2012) and Shaw (2016).

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    Oh it’s been a while that’s for sure. I’d estimate about 5 passes that were caught on Sunday (some circus-like catches, some just Ricky putting the ball where the receiver makes the play or it’s incomplete) would have been dropped a year ago.Maybe not even attempted by Ricky.

Edwards, Fuller, Posey, Green – oh my. Wylie didn’t see much of the field on Sunday and he was one of our top receivers a year ago.
    Wylie didn't dress. I think he can be a good one, but to be honest, I'm surprised we wasn't released.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I like this group. First time I had much of a look at Edwards. He is quick and seems to have good hands. Green is still a step above, but Fuller and Posey are good receivers as well who know how to get separation. Hopefully those two TD drops are behind them. The only thing I worry about with those tall receivers is the knee injuries like what happened to Green last year or Toliver Sunday. Same thing with Andy Fantuz. They get blind sided low when they're extended and unprotected.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Aside from the phenomenal catches by SJ Green (like his old self), I didn't find much to be overly excited about the entire corps (500 passing yards more on Ray's accuracy; 2 glaring TD pass drops); great, soft hands and/or difficult/circus catch ability; YAC ability; blazing speed deep threat ability = things that really impress me about receivers. I like the look of Edwards though and he flashed some excellent receiver talent for the Riders last season.

I didn't get overly excited about the so-called big 3 of a couple of seasons ago either - maybe it's just me / sue me. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Angelo - makes more sense now. Crazy that one of our top 2 from a year ago is on the fringes of the roster now. I'll take it as a testament to the quality of the guys we have now!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Angelo - makes more sense now. Crazy that one of our top 2 from a year ago is on the fringes of the roster now. I'll take it as a testament to the quality of the guys we have now!
    LOL. Top 2 from a year ago just shows you the problems we had last year.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I like Wylie, but I don't see how he could be considered one of our top two guys at any point last year. Nevertheless, we sure look better this year. So far!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    LOL. Top 2 from a year ago just shows you the problems we had last year.
    yeah he's on the 6 game IR. barring injury I don't see any of our current starting receivers losing their spots.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

SJ Green means spectacular catches. The others looked impressive but I'll wait a bit before anointing them.

Achievements:

Level
    Looks like tomorrow we'll get a chance to see what Paden can do. Hopefully he'll have some good ideas about beating his old team (and, uh, hopefully Dionte Spencer won't).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Looks like tomorrow we'll get a chance to see what Paden can do. Hopefully he'll have some good ideas about beating his old team (and, uh, hopefully Dionte Spencer won't).

Paden was mediocre to sub-CFL-par at best with Ottawa; guess he improved lots, or is at least next import up. ;0)

Achievements:

Level
    Regardless of your views on the depth chart (I'd play Jones before Paden, but he's injured), starting a guy against his old team makes sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    This group isn't even close to,

Greer, Tolbert, Pearson, Carinci, McGhee, Townsend.

but there is some MAGIC brewing....
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    This group isn't even close to,

Greer, Tolbert, Pearson, Carinci, McGhee, Townsend.

but there is some MAGIC brewing....
    It's 2 games...one against a terrible Ticat team that will have the worst secondary in the CFL this year. Hearing them on 1150 TSN and they still make it seem like the Cats are a true contender. I thank them for the CFL coverage, but they're overestimating the Ticats. They'll be 0-3 after their losses this Sunday and in their home opener next week.

Back to the Argos receivers, Armanti Edwards had a good game last week compared to week 1, but Posey's dropped pass in the end zone as another poster mentioned should've been caught. He also dropped one in the season opener, but not in the end zone. ...Would be nice to see Jimmy Ralph get some playing time in the slot as all he did in the pre-season was catch everything that went his way. I think he deserves a series or two with the offense and not just special teams action.

We're probably in the same age bracket because I remember that '82 and '83 receiving corps. Hard to put in Scott McGee there despite playing well in the latter end of 1982, he was released by Obie after 2 games in 1983....I still remember his stat line of 4 catches for 14 yds in those first 2 games and not agreeing with Obie's decision. In hindsight, the only reason I could see for his release is because they needed a roster spot for John Palazeti who was signed at around the same time, even though McGee was an import. Palazeti was a veteran Canadian blocking back that is credited by Cedric Minter for throwing a game winning block in one of his game winning TD runs in either the East final or in the Grey Cup game that year. Also interesting to note that 3 of your 6 guys mentioned from that era were Canadians in Carinci, Pearson and Townshend.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    It's 2 games...one against a terrible Ticat team that will have the worst secondary in the CFL this year. Hearing them on 1150 TSN and they still make it seem like the Cats are a true contender. I thank them for the CFL coverage, but they're overestimating the Ticats. They'll be 0-3 after their losses this Sunday and in their home opener next week.

Back to the Argos receivers, Armanti Edwards had a good game last week compared to week 1, but Posey's dropped pass in the end zone as another poster mentioned should've been caught. He also dropped one in the season opener, but not in the end zone. ...Would be nice to see Jimmy Ralph get some playing time in the slot as all he did in the pre-season was catch everything that went his way. I think he deserves a series or two with the offense and not just special teams action.

We're probably in the same age bracket because I remember that '82 and '83 receiving corps. Hard to put in Scott McGee there despite playing well in the latter end of 1982, he was released by Obie after 2 games in 1983....I still remember his stat line of 4 catches for 14 yds in those first 2 games and not agreeing with Obie's decision. In hindsight, the only reason I could see for his release is because they needed a roster spot for John Palazeti who was signed at around the same time, even though McGee was an import. Palazeti was a veteran Canadian blocking back that is credited by Cedric Minter for throwing a game winning block in one of his game winning TD runs in either the East final or in the Grey Cup game that year. Also interesting to note that 3 of your 6 guys mentioned from that era were Canadians in Carinci, Pearson and Townshend.
    Scott McGhee actually played very well in 1982 but O'Billovich replaced him with Emanual Tolbert just prior to the 82 Grey Cup which was a damn shame in a lot of ways.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Scott McGhee actually played very well in 1982 but O'Billovich replaced him with Emanual Tolbert just prior to the 82 Grey Cup which was a damn shame in a lot of ways.
    I don't know what was shameful from a football standpoint. Tolbert was the better player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I don't know what was shameful from a football standpoint. Tolbert was the better player.
    Tolbert also scored a first quarter TD in that Grey Cup game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    From a football standpoint nothing, was talking about a guy playing the whole season then getting yanked when it really mattered.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions