Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    We can judge this draft in 3 years. There are some picks that are off to great beginnings indeed. The CFL Canadian Draft is one of the most important parts of a franchises future and the GM's put a great deal of time and effort into it because of that. A team is only as good as it's Canadians. I have personally heard it uttered by CFL GM's and staff ad nauseam in the past....and this hasn't changed one bit in present day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    We can judge this draft in 3 years. There are some picks that are off to great beginnings indeed. The CFL Canadian Draft is one of the most important parts of a franchises future and the GM's put a great deal of time and effort into it because of that. A team is only as good as it's Canadians. I have personally heard it uttered by CFL GM's and staff ad nauseam in the past....and this hasn't changed one bit in present day.
    Be interesting to see Popp's thinking for next year's draft.

A good number of O-linemen rated highly on the CFL Scouting Bureau - 4 NCAA Div I starters and a few CIS all-star types.

And the likes of Van Zeyl (older, injured some), Holmes (really struggled at times IMO) and the other guard spot (Deane/Watman) = hardly stellar starters going forward to me and upgrades might be required ? . McEwen is very good IMO and could be a stalwart for years. Not sure if the likes of Sackey, Campbell (last year's draft) & Woods (this year's) are that highly regarded? - they have not been given shots at playing time (even a one game trial) to see if they could be upgrades.

Popp went with an all-NI O-Line in Montreal and always seemed to draft a bunch of O-linemen. There is usually a good FA O-linemen or 2 to be had.

And with the likes of Coombs, Ralph, Noel, Jones or Williams (plus Charette added) maybe all available - is there any real need to add another receiver to the mix there?

Gaydosh, Finley, Laing, Foster at D-line; Herdman & Onyeka as young linebackers; Gabriel, Woodson, maybe Black still as depth NI DBs or possible safety starters. Cross seems very good as a capable H-back and could be solid there for years maybe.

We shall see how important the draft could be next season. Maybe not that much ?