Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Oh brother. The guy who you think could be mistaken is the head of ticket sales for the organization.

I know which source I'm trusting on this.
    Yeah but the facts don't fit his agenda.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Popp talks building the Argonauts fanbase:

http://www.tsn.ca/overdrive/video/po...n-base~1176791

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Oh brother. The guy who you think could be mistaken is the head of ticket sales for the organization.

I know which source I'm trusting on this.
    Okay, let's accept that the owners insist on providing attendance figures that show "scanned" only.
    My question is why 15k sold\freebies but only 11k scanned?? why 4,000 no shows? that is a huge no-show crowd. Does that mean that they can't give away tickets?
    Every other team uses tickets sold, the no shows are very few, if you buy a ticket there is a good chance you show up.
    If it's true that they sold 15k for the Lions game then WHY would the organization not publish that figure? why would they only report scanned tickets?
    Why would "thousands" with tickets not show up? I can understand hundreds but not thousands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I will trust Mike Hook's posts on the matter. Here's hoping that the next game gets a similar crowd.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayahre View Post
    Okay, let's accept that the owners insist on providing attendance figures that show "scanned" only.
    My question is why 15k sold\freebies but only 11k scanned?? why 4,000 no shows? that is a huge no-show crowd. Does that mean that they can't give away tickets?
    Every other team uses tickets sold, the no shows are very few, if you buy a ticket there is a good chance you show up.
    If it's true that they sold 15k for the Lions game then WHY would the organization not publish that figure? why would they only report scanned tickets?
    Why would "thousands" with tickets not show up? I can understand hundreds but not thousands.

zzzzzzzzz - onto Saskatchewan on Saturday night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Personally I would rather have the organization published a scanned crowd as opposed to a sold and distributed figure. If the Argos were to publish the 15K figure, there would be allot more scrutiny as the media here likes to hyper focus the issue with this team despite all teams sell more than scanned. So likely a more accurate number would surface eventually.

With the team having a focus on group sales this year, that would alter the sold and distributed figure. My background is in group sales, so if it's anything similar the number will be based on the allocation of their group accounts. They'll block space at certain rate and sell into it (I would guess TravelZoo works in this manner), increase the number of seats if a certain category sells and then cancel the unsold seats in the allocation by a certain time to avoid cancellation fees. Depending on a sales cycle and on an extreme example, we can consider a certain product or service close to sold out without any actual bookings.

I would suspect that the 15K figure includes seats as part of group 'original' allocations. Therefore it still can be considered a booking with the Argos but likely nowhere near 4000 unused tickets out there.

Just my 2 cents, though, I could be completely incorrect.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    As a season ticket holder and a Argo fan, I do not have a problem with the guy sitting next to me paying less than I did. Its likey to only time that person will go to a game, and if they like it enough to come back they will pay regular price. Whatever it takes to get bums in the seats. I just wish they could do something with the terrible optics of the empty lower east side. It looks sooo bad on T.V.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If the Argos announced 15k, and it was clear the crowd was closer to 11k, I can imagine what kind backlash the team would get for reporting 15k. Unless, that's exactly what you want to happen???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jojoheath View Post
    As a season ticket holder and a Argo fan, I do not have a problem with the guy sitting next to me paying less than I did. Its likey to only time that person will go to a game, and if they like it enough to come back they will pay regular price. Whatever it takes to get bums in the seats. I just wish they could do something with the terrible optics of the empty lower east side. It looks sooo bad on T.V.
    I'm with you on this. I started going to Argos games paying $0.99 (face value $4.50) for tickets in the late 70's from A&P supermarkets. I don't recall outrage from the other people in the end zone that paid 4 1/2 times that amount for their tickets. The deal is what got me hooked on the Argos and the CFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm with you on this. I started going to Argos games paying $0.99 (face value $4.50) for tickets in the late 70's from A&P supermarkets. I don't recall outrage from the other people in the end zone that paid 4 1/2 times that amount for their tickets. The deal is what got me hooked on the Argos and the CFL.
    No outrage because social media didn't exist

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I also used to get the .99 A&P tickets as well but to be fair, outrage may have existed, we just didn't hear about it, and even though it was 4.5x as much (that was still less than two hours of a minimum wage job which was about $3 in 1979, and yes I am that old to remember this stuff --- ha ha ha) it's not quite the same at those numbers as it is today if someone spent $55 or so to sit in 207 and someone else spent $12 --- might be 4.5X as much but our wages didn't increase at the same rate of inflation and the cost of living in this city has gone way up (and hence more people's lack of disposable income) - in theory the difference of $40 is 3.5X min wage and not 1.5X

I am not against discounted seats, provided it would have been done in the same way --- put the discount seats in the upper corners of the endzone sections (the equivalent of the cheapest price point) and not in the middle sections --- the A&P seats were crappy endzone corner tickets usually, and not 40-50 yard line seats....as well, this can't be done for every game, it's already been done for 4/5 games (BC game had discounted seats only Hamilton opener did not I believe), if it continues to be done for the majority of the games this season it diminishes my desire to get seasons tickets potentially.....the extra 8 seats are nice, but if the gap in what someone pays as a ST is not that much smaller than buying games individually this way, then you are creating a culture of telling people to wait and buy discounted tickets....once a year promotion is fine....when it gets to be a regular thing you run the risk of alienating your season ticket base.....

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If the Argos announced 15k, and it was clear the crowd was closer to 11k, I can imagine what kind backlash the team would get for reporting 15k. Unless, that's exactly what you want to happen???
    You would think that if they sold 15k but only 11k showed up, why didn't 4,000 fans either give away their unused tickets to friends/family or donate them to minor football or if you know you are going to be away you can redeem them.
    That's why I think the post about 15k sold but only 11k showed up is total nonsense.
    The "no-shows" at Tiger Cat games and Ottawa games are very low, their fans have figured out that they can actually give their tickets to someone else if they know they are going to be away or they redeem them or donate them to youth organizations.
    I can't make the August 19 game against the Als, I am giving away the tickets to my daughter and a friend, they get into the Ex plus the $4 beer, great deal.
    I bought a flex-pack for the REDBACKS, we go to Ottawa on a regular basis and had the flex pack for 3 seasons, I have to miss the Sept 9 game but friends have snapped them up.
    If fans of other teams have figured out that since they bought tickets and can't make the game they can actually give them away or donate them, why can't Argo fans figure that out....................4,000 no shows out of 15,000? seriously? that's like 7,000 not showing up for a Ticat or RB game and none gave away their tickets???

The fact is that there should be very little difference between tickets sold and tickets scanned - if you buy a ticket you intend to go if you can't make it at the last minute you redeem it, give it away or donate it. If Toronto fans can't figure out that they can redeem or give away or donate their tickets there is something seriously wrong.
    You can go on to the Argo site and donate your tickets to the minor football association or youth programs or other options.
    If 4k Argo fans did not show up to a game they are either selfish for not donating/giving away or just ignorant

But I suspect that the person that said that they sell 15k but only 11k show up made that number up and didn't put a lot of thought into his/her post!!!
    In reality there are probably very few actual no shows

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And I suspect that you're a Troll who needs to get some new material to further your agenda.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Solving the Argos Attendance Woes:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/07/...tendance-woes/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    If only it was so easy!

New Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    The parking area on the East side, between the center line and the north end zone should be tail gating and fan experience area. Bounce houses, football passing games, temp food booths could be set up in this area increasing the family game day experience. Mascots and cheerleaders would be in this area and maybe a good band. Three things fans look for 1. Fun 2. great food 3. decent prices. Have a sponsor for the tailgating and fan experience with maybe a car or truck give away. Season ticket holders get two raffle tickets and single game purchasers get one. Do this a couple of times a year. Concerts after the game (day games) and fireworks on Friday nights (after the game). If the TV contract isn't renewed next year then teams have got to be very creative.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLUSA View Post
    The parking area on the East side, between the center line and the north end zone should be tail gating and fan experience area. Bounce houses, football passing games, temp food booths could be set up in this area increasing the family game day experience. Mascots and cheerleaders would be in this area and maybe a good band. Three things fans look for 1. Fun 2. great food 3. decent prices. Have a sponsor for the tailgating and fan experience with maybe a car or truck give away. Season ticket holders get two raffle tickets and single game purchasers get one. Do this a couple of times a year. Concerts after the game (day games) and fireworks on Friday nights (after the game). If the TV contract isn't renewed next year then teams have got to be very creative.
    This would require money which the owners Bell Canada will be reluctant to spend. On the positive side the TV contract is ironclad.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLUSA View Post
    The Tailgate is in the parking lot across the street. They already do some inflatables and football themed games at Fan Day. They had a Canada Day fireworks show after the game against BC. The TSN TV contract expires After the 2021 season.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Attendance will improve as Argos now move into predominantly Saturday afternoons.
    Summer has always been bad for the Argos crowds.
    I think we should just enjoy the season and not worry about the crowd size. We have solid ownership. We have a great team, a great coach, an HOF QB, we are wasting too much energy debating how to fill the seats. Crowds will be up to 17/18 by fall, and low 20s for the playoffs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Enjoying the CFL video "This is Our League" on this fine Canadian long weekend. I am looking forward to the time when the Toronto fans get it again!

https://youtu.be/BS1jCfg7Qxc
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin