Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Part of the problem is that prices change within sections. So two seats immediately beside each other (not across the aisle but right beside) have two different prices. Hard to justify that. Plus 13 is just confusing.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I agree completely. I don't get the problem with price points, it gives people more choice. If there aren't enough affordable tix then lower the prices across the board, but why take away choices?
    I think with less price points you would see a higher number of affordable seating. If there are 5 price points and one of those is affordable that's 20% of the seats being affordable. Currently 1 out of the 13 points is affordable. End zone IMO are ridiculously priced. Those should always be the lowest price point because the view of most of the field sucks from there. I sat there as a teenager when I was 13 at the old Ex, because that was all I can afford, not because I preferred to.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Part of the problem is that prices change within sections. So two seats immediately beside each other (not across the aisle but right beside) have two different prices. Hard to justify that. Plus 13 is just confusing.
    Section 220 for example is especially egregious in terms of 5 different price points based on row or even the seat number within the row as mentioned above....its absolutely ludicrous and could have easily been rectified this year in my opinion if the will was there to do so - there were only about 2000 STH accounts (assuming at least 2 tickets per account) left anyways I would imagine.

Take 220 for example --- Charge everyone in rows 1-10 one price -- $250 for a season seat for example, and everyone in rows 11-27 $200 for a season seat for example (if you want two price points for example which is probably appropriate) -- under that scenario, everyone would have paid the same or less than last year....if seats were available to move down to a lower row then offer it to the existing season seat holders first in the early new year -- let's be frank, there weren't that many people to accommodate by the time 1/2 of them left anyways and everyone would have been happier to either sit in a lower row or pay less money (or both) which would have been a nice incentive and/or reward for sticking around after last year's fiasco.....

I was told countless times from the new regime about "not giving away tickets or pricing them too cheaply as then people wouldn't value them (or other such nonsense) and thus wouldn't pay for them later on" --- and now we have $10 seats available for Bobblehead Day, so I guess the whole pricing thing needed adjusting don't you think?! - because it looks like tickets sell better when you price them at their correct market value --- shocking huh? --- I'm not complaining, but I can also understand how someone who may have paid exponentially more for a similar seat on the west side or a few rows down on the east side might be pissed.....by the way, how many of us remember going to games in A&P seats for .99 or $1.99 as young people to get our first exposure to Argos football and some of those games had 40,000+ people there (or $1/$2 Dominion bleachers seats for the Jays).

This is not all ancient history by the way --- in case anyone forgot, the Jays had a Toronto Star Season Pass for much of the late 90s into 2010s where they charged about $1-$1.25 a game or about $99 for the whole season (usually 80 games - minus opening day) and this lasted for years when the team wasn't selling squat for most games and drawing about 1/2 a stadium on average (20-25K) --guess what, the team got good in late 2015 -- they killed the pass and the tickets sold out at much higher prices - shocking huh? ---- TFC charged $10 for supporters seats (112-118) in the first few years and $12 for the end seats in 219/220/226/227 and they raised them slowly and people paid - then the team sucked and they reduced them again, and then they raised them slowly again when the team got better --- guess what, almost everyone I know at those price points stayed -- shocking huh?!.....charge people the appropriate amount and they will pay -- raise them slowly as the demand increases and they will likely stay and pay an appropriate increase - get greedy and they will leave --- watch the Jays who now charge $35+ for 500 Level seats this year to weekend games (they were about $16 in 2015) either cut prices next year or lose ticket sales if the team continues to suck -- it will happen - trust me....20 years of apathy for this team won't magically get washed away because of a good season and a half --- yes they will sell more tickets than 2014 (they are obviously more popular because of recent success) but they will lose 5000 a game next year very easily if this team is seen as a non-contender next year and crowds that were regularly 30-35K on a weeknight will become closer to 25K, and weekends of a regular 40-45K will become 35K save for special games/opponents (NYY/BOST/Opening Day/Canada Day) or giveaway days - and if it continues for a year or two further where no real hope of playoff contention exists, it will fall further still ---- it's still Toronto, and in this market if it isn't seen as the cool thing to do, and on top of that you price the product well beyond its market value, big crowds will slowly drift away, it's just that simple......
    Last edited by Argos1983; 07-12-2017 at 11:26 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Travel Zoo has promotions for the next 3 home games.

https://www.travelzoo.com/ca/enterta...ontent=2506582

All on the East Side

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    Travel Zoo has promotions for the next 3 home games.

https://www.travelzoo.com/ca/enterta...ontent=2506582

All on the East Side
    ....I guess the whole "we won't blow tickets out at cheap prices" thing has sailed as it's now $12 to sit at midfield for at least 1/3 of the home games now......I guess the tune has changed considerably after two extremely poorly attended home games, and obviously no signs of rapid change to that effect....

Season tickets in Section 207 Rows 1-5 are worth how much more than the next ten rows again (4X-5X as much)!? (or the equivalent on the west side in 222-224)....time to start admitting that you needed to sell tickets at a much cheaper price point for people to buy them the next time you ask for STH to pay some of those prices in the higher price points which are completely out-of-whack with reality (ie. you need to lower your price points considerably!).........it's been silliness to keep asking people to pay prices that they clearly will not -- what the heck were you trying to prove? that you can have a 1/2 empty building? --- mission accomplished I guess.....

Maybe we should start catering to STH at a rate commensurate with their value to the organization (free swag, exclusive meet and greets etc.) -- if one doesn't start seeing the benefits in having a season seat, eventually they will stop buying one - I have a hunch many already started to feel that way last year and left, and I doubt season seat sales will go up for 2018 after this year, if this stuff continues to go on --- again - I'm all for getting people in the building cheaply, but the prices need to be lowered for STH first, and then the "deals" offered online should also reflect a poorer location and price point than one a STH would pay for themselves....it would bother me much less if you charge STH $10-$15 per seat for example in the end type sections (219/220/226/227/ endzones) and then did this type of deal in Section 203 or 211 for $18-$20 a seat, and not in Section 207 where the ST pricing is vastly more money, it's insulting to your most loyal customers and if I had a season seat in 207 row 5 and paid a premium to sit in such a prime location ($800?!), and someone paid that much less to sit 5 rows behind me in the same "prime-midfield" section I would be livid and would likely not reinvest again.....but maybe others are different than I am.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    In fairness to the team, they said there would be no comps this year.

But I do agree overall, there needs to be price-drops across the board next year and start from the STH and build up. That's the only way to increase attendance levels that will be sustainable long term.

As for this year, I don't see what else they can do. Free seats won't work. Empty stadium pictures week in and week out don't help sell the game either. Maybe 5.00 kids ticket. At least the adults will be paying full price.

I would love to hear more details on next year's plan.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    https://www.pressreader.com/canada/o...82114931607583

You mean the "secret six point plan" (as far as I can tell it mainly involved a lot of listening) that the new Commissioner is talking about....good thing it's a secret plan, wouldn't want anyone to steal it from the CFL before its implemented in all its attendance boosting glory....

Seriously though, if you have a plan, you may want to share it with your STH so that they can actually buy into that vision....lest they start to think that maybe there is no great plan after all....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    https://www.pressreader.com/canada/o...82114931607583

You mean the "secret six point plan" (as far as I can tell it mainly involved a lot of listening) that the new Commissioner is talking about....good thing it's a secret plan, wouldn't want anyone to steal it from the CFL before its implemented in all its attendance boosting glory....

Seriously though, if you have a plan, you may want to share it with your STH so that they can actually buy into that vision....lest they start to think that maybe there is no great plan after all....
    After reading that article, it sounds like Ambrosie was joking about that six-point plan.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    After reading that article, it sounds like Ambrosie was joking about that six-point plan.
    He was.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, of course it was said "tongue in cheek" - however, can anyone tell me what the Argos plan is to boost season ticket sales? (or single game sales save for blowing out tickets at $10-12 and potentially alienating some of their few remaining STH), and increase brand awareness? - especially among those under 30 or families with kids? Is everyone confident based on what they've seen from the new regime so far? All I've heard is we need more time, and the in stadium experience will be awesome --- anyone seen any targeted marketing outside the downtown core in the suburbs? Anything geared towards getting kids or young adults in the stadium cheaply (not $99 for a family - as that's still too much as obviously now we have tickets being sold for $12 each at midfield and you can buy your own food for less than the additional $50).

I'm curious how other STH feel about the value of their seats and whether they are anxious to renew again if prices aren't cut (or other exclusive STH perks offered), especially if you are outside the $199 price point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Chris Jones:

Lee Jones
    @LeeJonesCTV
    5h
    Riders Chris Jones "This is a fan league so you can't close every practice. We had more fans here then they get in Toronto for a game. #CFL pic.twitter.com/EgrITsA4zs

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/sta...92835346907136

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    The Athletic had a good Article today with quotes from Sara Moore. 2 things she mentioned - Most of their season tickets are from the downtown core! She said that is contrary to what everyone believes.

Also commented on TV numbers and attendance.

The first challenge: Marketing
    Television ratings are still strong, Moore said, and CFL research suggests a healthy level of awareness for the Argos around the region. The trick: Convincing those people to buy tickets for a game.

Everyone knows who hurt the branding in the City for the CFL and Argos. All those years where there was no rebuttal from Bell or TSN. I like the fact that the CFL has the most players to choose from thanks to the NCAA football programs down south. Far more than any other team in TO. Hopefully the league will look into what is hurting the Branding in the city and counter it with League changes. I for one would like to keep the ratio but remove the on field ratio rule. Also with the CBA due at the end of next year the Cap will move towards $8M - that will allow teams to have a million dollar player so teams can market these guys to the younger group. Looking at todays Argos I always thought they have the best athletes in the city. Look at the press in the city and how they fall over the Leafs pick. There is no way the perception should be that the CFL has minor league players when you see the NHL draft. 1500 playing Major Jr A hockey with 25% moving up to fill the N.A. content in the NHL. 75000 playing NCAA football but the CFL has the minor league title crowned and followed by Rogers. BS. You see how every other league markets their players - we need to do the same

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I think the opposite. CFL always will be considered minor league compared to NFL.
    Let's change the conversation then.
    We have been moving away from the CFL unique rules, trying to make it more like NFL football. Let's embrace the differences. Somehow encourage teams to open the play book.
    A lower salary cap may mean the loss of some ncaa players. However it could allow for a truly canadian league making expansion possible in Halifax or Quebec City or London. Maybe we'd see a Canadian QB again. It's a radically Canadian approach, because after all, our balls are bigger

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    The CFL hasn't been moving away from anything. The NFL has moved closer to the CFL by being more wide open.

You'd need the CFLPA to fight for more Canadian players, an idea where they've shown no interest.

I fail to see how a lower salary cap helps anything, or why the CFLPA would ever sign on. Falling salaries typically mean a league is struggling and is in danger of folding.

I don't know how a more Canadian league would help the Argos. This is the least Canadian market in Canada.

Our balls are no longer bigger. Both leagues now use virtually the same ball.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    The Athletic had a good Article today with quotes from Sara Moore. 2 things she mentioned - Most of their season tickets are from the downtown core! She said that is contrary to what everyone believes.

Also commented on TV numbers and attendance.

The first challenge: Marketing
    Television ratings are still strong, Moore said, and CFL research suggests a healthy level of awareness for the Argos around the region. The trick: Convincing those people to buy tickets for a game.

Everyone knows who hurt the branding in the City for the CFL and Argos. All those years where there was no rebuttal from Bell or TSN. I like the fact that the CFL has the most players to choose from thanks to the NCAA football programs down south. Far more than any other team in TO. Hopefully the league will look into what is hurting the Branding in the city and counter it with League changes. I for one would like to keep the ratio but remove the on field ratio rule. Also with the CBA due at the end of next year the Cap will move towards $8M - that will allow teams to have a million dollar player so teams can market these guys to the younger group. Looking at todays Argos I always thought they have the best athletes in the city. Look at the press in the city and how they fall over the Leafs pick. There is no way the perception should be that the CFL has minor league players when you see the NHL draft. 1500 playing Major Jr A hockey with 25% moving up to fill the N.A. content in the NHL. 75000 playing NCAA football but the CFL has the minor league title crowned and followed by Rogers. BS. You see how every other league markets their players - we need to do the same
    It is striking how "cool" it is to go to a RedBlacks game in Ottawa. Just reviewing the highlights from last nights game shows how ownership successfully landed the younger crowd right out of the gate. Even with a poor product in 2014, TD Field was hopping and the place to be. Argos have just got to figure out to replicate that success here.

We had a chance to talk with Winnipeg CEO Wade Miller in the concourse of IG Stadium last week and he stressed how hard they work in the community selling game day tickets (Wade is in the concourse before every game greeting fans and receiving feedback). Bombers also had a lot of other initiatives going to overcome big issues like stadium location. Big investment in bus terminal infrastructure at the stadium. Free transportation to/from IG Field. The results were that they had 30,000 for the first game and 25,000 for the Argos game. Interestingly Wade said he had one sales person to sell five hundred additional game day tickets. We noted a huge minor league football presence in stadium.

Bottom line, all teams are working very hard to put people in the seats.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    That’s neat you got run into Wade Miller. It definitely is the “cool” thing to do in Ottawa and hard to forget previous versions that were anything but cool (it was a bleak landscape there at the 2004 Grey Cup as I recall) – great result though!

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sara Moore mentioned the TV ratings were strong and the CFL just released these TV numbers yesterday

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra Jul 19

#CFL Week 5 starts in just over 3hrs! Here are last week's averages:
    TOR/WPG: 636,000
    CGY/MTL: 628,000
    BC/HAM: 523,000
    OTT/EDM: 500,000

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Sara Moore mentioned the TV ratings were strong and the CFL just released these TV numbers yesterday

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra Jul 19

#CFL Week 5 starts in just over 3hrs! Here are last week's averages:
    TOR/WPG: 636,000
    CGY/MTL: 628,000
    BC/HAM: 523,000
    OTT/EDM: 500,000
    Toronto # 1.

New Fan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I thought necessary to give some insight on much of what is being discussed. First off I find it amazing how much passion there is for the Argos, to take the time to put thoughts and ideas on how to make things better is certainly appreciated. I personally am always open to hear idea's that might help sell more tickets because like all of you I want to see BMO Field full. Now I do need to state that one important factor is needed for that, time. Many things needed to be corrected before we can truly begin to get back to where we want to go. The process has begun and frankly took place all off season. Priority #1 was to ensure our season ticket holder base was treated, valued and shown the appreciation for years of support. It is not something we can do just once or with a couple phone calls, it is a process that will take place over the course of season and continue on until the relationship is strong. A sports team must have a strong foundation in order to build its fan base properly. Although we may have taken a step back after 2016, we have seen growth from 2015 and frankly have that foundation in place. It is now important for us to make sure we take steps forward each year.

As it relates to this season and find ways to put more people in seats. There many thoughts but the primary goal must be to continue to get awareness into the market and put the brand into the community. It needs to be constant and consistent. Tied to this is finding new and unique ways to engage fans that otherwise may not come out. Ticket promotions is one piece to that and why we are constantly looking for ways to engage new fans. Products such as the family pack, $19.97 offer or offers through Travelzoo and Groupon are meant to drive awareness and gain important data to be build our database. All while getting people to buy tickets rather then looking for hand outs. With all this said it must be our priority to ensure when build these products or setting these offers that our season ticket holders are considered. Having the upper east side group section allows the opportunity to be created, also these offers are limited to specific games and often certain section. Purchasing a season ticket still remains the best price over the course of a season and offers value and benefits not seen in other products.

You all have shared some good idea's and ones that I will take into consideration but I can assure I am already looking at how we get ourselves ready for 2018. These are a few things that I am monitoring and reviewing as we

New Fan
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry for some reason my previous post was cut off

We are reviewing and monitoring the following items as we prepare for 2018 - simplify our pricing structure, east side pricing, early bird season ticket pricing, continuing to engage schools and minor football, building out the fan zone, and making the brand cool and fun.

I thank you all for sharing your idea's and please feel free to send them directly to me

Keep up the great support and passion

Thank you
    Michael Hook