Level

Exclamation Argonauts $99 Family Pack

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    And now 2 Tickets to Doug Flutie Bobblehead Night for $19.97 to commemorate the 1997 Grey Cup team:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/07/11/...blehead-promo/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    They should have just went this way from the beginning. They should have just made it affordable, and get bums in the seats, not for free, but affordable. Then if things took off slowly raise the prices like you raise the temperature on frogs. People didn't go to Leaf games in the 70s or 80s because it was the place to be. They could afford it. It wasn't until the 90s that the prices took off. Once it became the place to be, they raised the prices..

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    They should have just went this way from the beginning. They should have just made it affordable, and get bums in the seats, not for free, but affordable. Then if things took off slowly raise the prices like you raise the temperature on frogs. People didn't go to Leaf games in the 70s or 80s because it was the place to be. They could afford it. It wasn't until the 90s that the prices took off. Once it became the place to be, they raised the prices..
    Agree with you. It says a lot that as a teenager working part time for like $5 an hour, I was able to afford to go to Leafs games, but as an adult making a decent living, I can't.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    And now 2 Tickets to Doug Flutie Bobblehead Night for $19.97 to commemorate the 1997 Grey Cup team:

https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/07/11/...blehead-promo/
    Kind of pisses me off that I already paid for my tickets and then I see half price tickets.
    That's the problem with these promotions, fans that have already bought tickets at the full price will be reluctant to buy tickets ahead of time because they will be waiting for the sales just before a home game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayahre View Post
    Kind of pisses me off that I already paid for my tickets and then I see half price tickets.
    That's the problem with these promotions, fans that have already bought tickets at the full price will be reluctant to buy tickets ahead of time because they will be waiting for the sales just before a home game.
    The promotion is for the Upper Rows of the East Stands. Is that where you sit?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The promotion is in the groups section - rows 6 onwards, where they don't sell season tickets, flex packs or even single game tickets before this one. The 99$ family combo is there too so this can't realistically alienate any season ticket holder or anyone with advanced tickets as they're the least desirable seats in the house.

Saying that, they do need to adjust pricing next year starting with season ticket holders so there's a smaller gap disparity between it and the promos offered.

Edit: Looking at ticket master, they've added rows on the promo. Central sections (207 and 208) are now selling up to row 17. They started up to 11. So it's selling well it appears
    Last edited by Mightygoose; 07-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
    The promotion is in the groups section - rows 6 onwards, where they don't sell season tickets, flex packs or even single game tickets before this one. The 99$ family combo is there too so this can't realistically alienate any season ticket holder or anyone with advanced tickets as they're the least desirable seats in the house.

Saying that, they do need to adjust pricing next year starting with season ticket holders so there's a smaller gap disparity between it and the promos offered.

Edit: Looking at ticket master, they've added rows on the promo. Central sections (207 and 208) are now selling up to row 17. They started up to 11. So it's selling well it appears
    Yes - the gap for a season ticket holder between a Gold Season Seat who paid $700 a seat or around $50-60 for a regular season game might not be thrilled to see relatively similar seats selling to the public for about $15 per (incl. service charges) --- let's be frank, no one would have bought a season ticket that was 4X the price if the difference was 5 rows or so ---- rows 6-10 in some sections on the east side are part of the promotion while rows 1-5 were sold to the public at an exponentially higher rate in the Gold Price point) ---- in other words you need to be careful not to do this too often or in what sections you sell the promotional seats (maybe start in the crappier sections only like 203/211), or you will alienate a portion of the STH base.....

Frankly most seats need to be reduced exponentially in my opinion to coincide with their present market value which is close to nil these days.....endzones should be about $10 per ($99 ST - just fill the damn thing to make noise!!), anything from the 20s to the endzone in the upper decks should be about $20 per ($169 ST), and maybe end up with a mid-field seat at about $50-$60 per --- right now, the most expensive ST should not be much more than $500 a seat in my opinion.....I don't care what it is in other markets (I know its more expensive in other cities, and Toronto has lots more people in it), but in this market you have well under 5000 ST sold, so who are we fooling here?! Just get people in the building at a much more reasonable cost, then show them a great time, then maybe over time you can increase prices gradually.....they keep talking about showing people a great time when they come to the game, rather than worrying about getting them into the stadium in the first place --- if they aren't there to see your awesome show, then what have you accomplished?

Banned
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    The promotion is for the Upper Rows of the East Stands. Is that where you sit?
    No we are on the West side upper behind the Argo bench this year. We were on the East upper last year.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Achievements:

Level
    sorry to be that guy but WTF after reading thru this page ... my friend posted this on FB and I searched ticketmaster to confirm.

I am sitting in 1 yard line sidelines 10 rows up for $70 for 2 seats he gets the below deal... who is the sucker?

SECTION 206 ROW 16

Type

Throwback Offer-Multiples of 2

Ticket Price

CA $9.98 x 4

Facility Charge

CA $3.00 x 4

Service Fee

CA $2.00 x 4

SUBTOTAL

CA $59.92

and we all know we can pick any seat in the house ....

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by herrington2828 View Post
    sorry to be that guy but WTF after reading thru this page ... my friend posted this on FB and I searched ticketmaster to confirm.

I am sitting in 1 yard line sidelines 10 rows up for $70 for 2 seats he gets the below deal... who is the sucker?

SECTION 206 ROW 16

Type

Throwback Offer-Multiples of 2

Ticket Price

CA $9.98 x 4

Facility Charge

CA $3.00 x 4

Service Fee

CA $2.00 x 4

SUBTOTAL

CA $59.92

and we all know we can pick any seat in the house ....

It gets worse - you could use the travelzoo promotion and you could have paid this for four seats -- why pay $15 a seat when you can pay $12? (similar seats and rows are being offered in Sections 206/207/208 for $12 all in - no additional fees --- Silvers are $37 in 109/110 and Golds in 106 are $50.50):

July 24th vs Ottawa
    Mon, Jul 24, 2017 7:30 PM
    BMO Field
    TRAVELZOO
    Section 208
    Row 12
    Travelzoo Promo 4 x $12.00 $48.00
    Cost Summary

Item Total $48.00
    Delivery Total $0.00
    Fee Total $0.00
    Total Amount CAD 48.00

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some people will complain about the attendance and that the Argonauts aren't doing enough to get fans into the building.

Then when the Argonauts do promotions like this Some people will complain that the prices are too low.

Among other benefits Season ticket holders also get 4 Free Flex Tickets per Season Ticket, so if you have 2 Season Tickets that's 8 Free Flex Tickets.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is how we'll find the other half of the stadium. Nobody wants a 96-97 reunion with 10k fans. Suck it up people.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level

Some people will complain about the attendance and that the Argonauts aren't doing enough to get fans into the building.

Then when the Argonauts do promotions like this Some people will complain that the prices are too low.

Among other benefits Season ticket holders also get 4 Free Flex Tickets per Season Ticket, so if you have 2 Season Tickets that's 8 Free Flex Tickets.
    Assuming you paid $200 for a ST at the cheapest price point and received 15 tickets total (1 pre/9 reg/1 playoff plus 4 freebies) it's a net cost of approx 13.33 per game --- and you would be sitting equivalent to the endzone as opposed to spending $12 and sitting at mid-field.....it's not the fact that they are doing promotions, but how they are doing them that is frustrating (god knows I want more promotions - and with some creative marketing attached to it --- Bear Woods teddy bear toss anyone (or a teddy bear with dreadlocks giveaway item? or you can do the "toss" like in Jr. Hockey and donate the bears to kids in hospitals). I would be much less frustrated if they offer the promo tickets at $15 and sat people in line with the "endzone" (or donate a bear and get a discounted ticket for example) on the east side like in 203/210-211 or charge a bit more to increase the gap over what a STH is paying - still make it a "deal" (less than $20) but not make a STH question whether they are getting the best value ($ per seat location) or not -- by attaching some creative promotion to it as well, also helps build the brand - and maybe gets some much needed good press.

If someone spent $800 on a seat in 207/first 5 rows and was spending on average $53 a seat or $106 a pair ($800/15 tickets = $53.33) , and then someone sat within 5-10 rows of them in 207 for $24 a pair - that's a bit insulting to your more loyal customer who's spending over $1500 (the STH) don't you think? ---- either charge the STH way less especially in the expensive price points, and/or put the promo $12 seats in a "worse" location so as to not potentially alienate the people who actually invested big $$ in your product --- the idea is right, the execution is wrong....there was also a deal for $15 seats in the upper east side (not $12) for the BC game as well, so now at least 4 of the first 5 games will have been available this way --- if it was a "one off" thing (97 reunion for $19.97 - one game only) that's one thing, but if the majority of the games end up being sold this way, people may question the value in getting ST.

Outside of the 4 extra seats which is a good perk, and I have included such in the calculations above --- what else are you really getting as an STH to entice you to come back and not just buy single tickets? a 10% discount? a toque? is that enough for most people?

It's a balancing act I grant you that, but I would bet people might feel different if it was a group price discount for 100 school aged kids going to the game and paying a cheap price, or if it was a regular $5 kids ticket or a $50 pack (not $99) for a family of four (2 kids and 2 adults tickets) - as an aside, hasn't the family pack basically been undermined by this now (are 4 drinks and 4 hot dogs really worth $50 - I probably wouldn't buy 4 drinks for a family of 4 anyways)?--- at least I would feel that it is about building up the future fan base or helping young families get into the building --- this is just a a scattershot approach hoping that anyone will come to the game at any cost.....frankly you could offer to move your STH to better/different locations once a year subject to availability as a perk, or allow them to buy extra seats at $10 in certain unsold sections on the east side (subject to a limit of some kind) -- there are other ways of rewarding your STH and still collecting some money too.....sending a gift of something to wear at the beginning of the season (like the TFC scarf idea), also means they might wear your swag during the year (or have a t-shirt giveaway, hat giveaway), and promote your product; by sending it after the season is over (the toque was for last year's STH before anyone tells me that), somewhat defeats the purpose don't you think.....

I guess we will see next year how many ST they sell after doing all of this -- my hunch is that unless prices are severely cut the ST numbers will not be good outside of the very cheapest price points ($300 or less)....I wish them well, but so far I'm not very hopeful based on what I've seen so far.....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    Assuming you paid $200 for a ST at the cheapest price point and received 15 tickets total (1 pre/9 reg/1 playoff plus 4 freebies) it's a net cost of approx 13.33 per game --- and you would be sitting equivalent to the endzone as opposed to spending $12 and sitting at mid-field.....it's not the fact that they are doing promotions, but how they are doing them that is frustrating (god knows I want more promotions - and with some creative marketing atached to it --- Bear Woods teddy bear toss anyone (or a teddy bear with dreadlocks giveaway item? or you can do the "toss" like in Jr. Hockey and donate the bears to kids in hospitals). I would be much less frustrated if they offer the promo tickets at $15 and sat people in line with the "endzone" (or donate a bear and get a discounted ticket for example) on the east side like in 203/210-211 or charge a bit more to increase the gap over what a STH is paying - still make it a "deal" (less than $20) but not make a STH question whether they are getting the best value ($ per seat location) or not -- by attaching some creative promotion to it as well, also helps build the brand - and maybe gets some much needed good press.

If someone spent $800 on a seat in 207/first 5 rows and was spending on average $53 a seat or $106 a pair ($800/15 tickets = $53.33) , and then someone sat within 5-10 rows of them in 207 for $24 a pair - that's a bit insulting to your more loyal customer who's spending over $1500 (the STH) don't you think? ---- either charge the STH way less especially in the expensive price points, and/or put the promo $12 seats in a "worse" location so as to not potentially alienate the people who actually invested big $$ in your product --- the idea is right, the execution is wrong....there was also a deal for $15 seats in the upper east side (not $12) for the BC game as well, so now at least 4 of the first 5 games will have been available this way --- if it was a "one off" thing (97 reunion for $19.97 - one game only) that's one thing, but if the majority of the games end up being sold this way, people may question the value in getting ST.

Outside of the 4 extra seats which is a good perk, and I have included such in the calculations above --- what else are you really getting as an STH to entice you to come back and not just buy single tickets? a 10% discount? a toque? is that enough for most people?

It's a balancing act I grant you that, but I would bet people might feel different if it was a group price discount for 100 school aged kids going to the game and paying a cheap price, or if it was a regular $5 kids ticket or a $50 pack (not $99) for a family of four (2 kids and 2 adults tickets) - as an aside, hasn't the family pack basically been undermined by this now (are 4 drinks and 4 hot dogs really worth $50 - I probably wouldn't buy 4 drinks for a family of 4 anyways)?--- at least I would feel that it is about building up the future fan base or helping young families get into the building --- this is just a a scattershot approach hoping that anyone will come to the game at any cost.....frankly you could offer to move your STH to better/different locations once a year subject to availability as a perk, or allow them to buy extra seats at $10 in certain unsold sections on the east side (subject to a limit of some kind) -- there are other ways of rewarding your STH and still collecting some money too.....sending a gift of something to wear at the beginning of the season (like the TFC scarf idea), also means they might wear your swag during the year (or have a t-shirt giveaway, hat giveaway), and promote your product; by sending it after the season is over (the toque was for last year's STH before anyone tells me that), somewhat defeats the purpose don't you think.....

I guess we will see next year how many ST they sell after doing all of this -- my hunch is that unless prices are severely cut the ST numbers will not be good outside of the very cheapest price points ($300 or less)....I wish them well, but so far I'm not very hopeful based on what I've seen so far.....

You make a lot of good points, especially when you focus on the $ aspect of it, and in that regard I don't disagree. As a STH myself I have asked myself why I renew when I can buy cheaper seats and just move during the game. One big reason is the guarantee of having "my" seats for every game. At the Rogers Centre I sat in Section 112. There were a lot of other STHers in that section that I got to know and it was a real hoot. Being around the same group of passionate fans made the game more enjoyable even when we lost. At BMO I am in Sec 223 and have started to see regular faces and getting to know them. Is this worth the premium? So far I would say yes, and interestingly my son said if I were to give the tickets up, he will keep it going.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Like I said, people are going to complain either way.

New Fan
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Are they really "free" tickets if season ticket holders are getting charged more then those who purchase off deal sites?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by wewantthecup View Post
    Are they really "free" tickets if season ticket holders are getting charged more then those who purchase off deal sites?
    Yes they are and they're not the only Season Ticket holder benefit.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I agree that getting to "know your neighbours" is a benefit, I enjoy knowing the people around me too and that can be a boost to the in-game experience (I have had, and continue to have season seats for a lot of the teams in this city and I have built relationships over the years with my "neighbours" so I do appreciate that point) - I just don't know how much I would ultimately pay for it, especially at the expense of better and/or potentially much cheaper (yet similarly located) seats.....if they keep selling Section 206-208 seats for $12-$15 and I had to move around a bit within that area but it saved me 3/4 of the ticket price ($12-$15 instead of $50-$55) as opposed to sitting in 206-208 in the same seats a few rows lower for example, at some point I think people might not like the cost-benefit answer to that equation (ie. I'm willing to move a bit to save $500 a season and still sit in 206-208, and frankly the stadium is 1/2 empty and I can sit with my friends nearby anyways) ---

Again, it's different for all of us in terms of the value we place on these things, I'm not saying everyone thinks the same way I do (and many don't), I just think there are more creative ways to achieve the same purpose (ie. selling cheap seats to get people in the building which I am in favour of), but doing so in a way that alienates less of your higher priced STH (put the $12 discount seats in a less desirable section if you want to sell the "really cheap ticket" --- like the $2 Jays bleachers or the crappy .99 cent A&P seats (for you old-timers) --- which were not at the 40-50 yard line or behind home plate for the Jays, but usually in some corner of the endzone or behind the fence) ---- also, do it in a way that also promotes the team more widely/creatively - tie the discount to an in-game promotion like the $19.97 for the 1997 reunion and Flutie bobblehead (yay - good idea, every game should have a promotional tie-in!) --- otherwise $12 seats for the next three games on a random discount website isn't really maximizing the "bang for your buck" in my opinion....if you're going to make tickets that cheap - try to tie it into something that promotes the team/product/brand.....at least at a grocery store or a 7/11 you would see the Argos logo plastered everywhere (maybe even outside the downtown core too!), I doubt travelzoo is hitting the general public in the same way---most people didn't even know about that promotion until they were told on an Argos fan website (me included) -- I bet that if discounted tickets were sold at Loblaws/7-11 (for example) more people would have heard about it who might not normally follow the CFL and might be tempted to buy some tickets.....

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes they are and they're not the only Season Ticket holder benefit.
    Yes, its a good perk (frankly the best one offered), but even taking into account that you get 15 tickets as a STH (and not 11) -- the cost is still much cheaper (and in a better location compared to most people's seats) with the heavily discounted tickets ---- I doubt many on here use the 10% off merchandise discount to any great savings over the course of the year --- if you bought $500 worth of Argos merchandise and I highly doubt the average STH spends that much per year - its a savings of $50, probably not enough to move the needle in my opinion....25% off extra seats is worthless when tickets are being sold for 40-60% off to everyone else, the exchange of tickets is no real benefit in comparison to buying individual games as I can cherry pick the days I can or cannot go anyways (are the majority buying full season tailgate passes at a marginal savings? corporate suites? - I'm guessing only a very tiny % are buying ST for those reasons)......frankly speaking the biggest reason to buy season tickets has to be the cost savings over buying individual games, and to a lesser extent the "intangible benefit" of getting to know the people around you.....the rest of the perks don't add up to a greater value in my opinion if the cost savings isn't tangibly better....again, maybe others feel differently....to each their own....