Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The principle of kicking the ball in the Canadian football is different than in American ball - kicking/punting is a way of advancing the ball on the field - , and the rules should be respected and not changed for the sake of being more American.
    There is some value in making the game reasonably accessible to American players and coaches, but I agree that *interesting* wrinkles shouldn't be ironed out. It would be fun to see this play emerge from obscurity to become an occasional element of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    There is some value in making the game reasonably accessible to American players and coaches, but I agree that *interesting* wrinkles shouldn't be ironed out. It would be fun to see this play emerge from obscurity to become an occasional element of the game.
    We used to see the on side quick kick much more 30 40 years ago. Used to work best if your QB could punt somewhat. Have a speedy WR be on side with the wind at your back. 2nd and long deep in your own end. Even if you didn't recover the kick it use to end up with about a 60 yard ex-change in field position. Was always a good trick to play on the Argos back then in the Eastern Semi or Final playoffs and break our hearts. lol There used to be some good punting QB's back then like Bernie Faloney, Joe Zugar and Sonny Wade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I believe Condredge Holloway attempted a quick kick in Ottawa (I believe in 1982) during a failed late game comeback.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    We used to see the on side quick kick much more 30 40 years ago. Used to work best if your QB could punt somewhat. Have a speedy WR be on side with the wind at your back. 2nd and long deep in your own end. Even if you didn't recover the kick it use to end up with about a 60 yard ex-change in field position. Was always a good trick to play on the Argos back then in the Eastern Semi or Final playoffs and break our hearts. lol There used to be some good punting QB's back then like Bernie Faloney, Joe Zugar and Sonny Wade.

Yes the theory of the call was excellent it's the execution and the location on the filed which was poor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I believe Condredge Holloway attempted a quick kick in Ottawa (I believe in 1982) during a failed late game comeback.
    I think you are thinking of a thrilling 1982 Thanksgiving Day loss in Winnipeg where an impressive Argos comeback fell just short. The quick kick happened on the final play of the game. I don't think it was Holloway who kicked it but can't recall for the life of me who it was. Perhaps Jan Carinci? Unfortunately, the play didn't work and, to be honest, I would have rather seen Holloway throw a pass into the endzone instead.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think you are thinking of a thrilling 1982 Thanksgiving Day loss in Winnipeg where an impressive Argos comeback fell just short. The quick kick happened on the final play of the game. I don't think it was Holloway who kicked it but can't recall for the life of me who it was. Perhaps Jan Carinci? Unfortunately, the play didn't work and, to be honest, I would have rather seen Holloway throw a pass into the endzone instead.
    Pretty sure it was Carinci Ravi. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the quick kick. I get the opportunity to change the field position, but as a play to retain possession, I'm not sure I've ever seen it work.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Here's my description of that 1982 play in Bouncing Back:

As Winnipeg Stadium fell silent in the face of this unexpected late-game onslaught, the Argos almost topped that feat. Getting the ball back one last time, Holloway swiftly marched his team to the Winnipeg 29 with time for one last play. The ball was snapped shotgun-style to Carinci, who punted it towards the end zone. Greer, Minter and Pearson, who had lined up behind Carinci and were therefore onside, raced down the sideline in hopes of recovering the kick. But Winnipeg safety Paul Bennett was well versed in such Canadian football nuances as quick onside kicks. He grabbed the punt and the Argos’ comeback bid fell short.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I missed the game due to work but TSN broadcast it last night which I now have saved on my PVR. Please don't anybody ruin it for me by telling me the score.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Bingo Ravi, that's the game.
    I wasn't sure if it was Winnipeg or Ottawa, 35 years and memories fade.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Here's my description of that 1982 play in Bouncing Back:

As Winnipeg Stadium fell silent in the face of this unexpected late-game onslaught, the Argos almost topped that feat. Getting the ball back one last time, Holloway swiftly marched his team to the Winnipeg 29 with time for one last play. The ball was snapped shotgun-style to Carinci, who punted it towards the end zone. Greer, Minter and Pearson, who had lined up behind Carinci and were therefore onside, raced down the sideline in hopes of recovering the kick. But Winnipeg safety Paul Bennett was well versed in such Canadian football nuances as quick onside kicks. He grabbed the punt and the Argos’ comeback bid fell short.
    Thanks Paul.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Pretty sure it was Carinci Ravi. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the quick kick. I get the opportunity to change the field position, but as a play to retain possession, I'm not sure I've ever seen it work.
    Not sure I have ever seen it work either, AV. It really is a low percentage play IMO.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force