Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    There's no real plan b in that play. Once you try it, that's it.
    Sure there is. Sinopoli should have taken a look before kicking it, and just run the ball if there was an Argo within 15 yards who wasn't retreating. He wouldn't have gotten a first down, but they could still have punted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Sure there is. Sinopoli should have taken a look before kicking it, and just run the ball if there was an Argo within 15 yards who wasn't retreating. He wouldn't have gotten a first down, but they could still have punted.
    It's funny -- we seldom see all 24 players on TV at once, but right before that snap, TSN showed a distant shot and it was clear that the Argos' back eight were all about 15 yards downfield in a sort of "prevent" look. I can totally see why Ott ran that play, because it almost certainly would have worked if Murray hadn't read it and reacted as well as he did.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Exactly; and watching that play from where I was in the stadium, it looked like Sinopoli just fumbled the ball and it went off his foot; if you're going to try that play, the punt should be well down the field to make it worth your while, not a 4 yard dribbler - he could have easily run for more yards.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It's funny -- we seldom see all 24 players on TV at once, but right before that snap, TSN showed a distant shot and it was clear that the Argos' back eight were all about 15 yards downfield in a sort of "prevent" look. I can totally see why Ott ran that play, because it almost certainly would have worked if Murray hadn't read it and reacted as well as he did.
    I don't think I saw that shot - my video stream was not very reliable yesterday. The isolation video made the play look like a complete no-hoper.

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Exactly; and watching that play from where I was in the stadium, it looked like Sinopoli just fumbled the ball and it went off his foot; if you're going to try that play, the punt should be well down the field to make it worth your while, not a 4 yard dribbler - he could have easily run for more yards.
    I think very few people understood what was happening while that play was running. The TV explanation was that the goal was to get a "free" first down by recovering a minimum-distance kick, OV, instead of trying to get the 20 yards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't think I saw that shot - my video stream was not very reliable yesterday. The isolation video made the play look like a complete no-hoper.

I think very few people understood what was happening while that play was running. The TV explanation was that the goal was to get a "free" first down by recovering a minimum-distance kick, OV, instead of trying to get the 20 yards.

There's a reason, IMO, I guess, that "free" first down by recovering a punt play is rarely tried - very difficult to pull off, even if the ball only has to go one yard (is that the rule?) = only the punter would be able to recover it (unless other players are behind him, it would be no yards penalty?), and it's hard to control a kick like that so you can easily recover - most of the time you will be handing (er, kicking) the ball back to the opposition with just a few yards of field position gained.

The principle of kicking the ball in the Canadian football is different than in American ball - kicking/punting is a way of advancing the ball on the field - , and the rules should be respected and not changed for the sake of being more American. Single points are part of the game; and having the option to return the ball out of the end zone (either running or kicking it) is part of it too - the "reward for failure" argument is garbage by people who do not understand Canadian rules - you can be rewarded field position by kicking the ball, and you also can turn the ball over to the opposition that way. Old Argo fans may recall the infamous Harry Abofs punt return "kick" in the 71 GC - it was ruled he kicked the ball (could have been ruled accidental though?) out of bounds when he was trying to field a Stamps punt - he kicked it back to them by kicking it out of bounds and they got possession back.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The principle of kicking the ball in the Canadian football is different than in American ball - kicking/punting is a way of advancing the ball on the field - , and the rules should be respected and not changed for the sake of being more American.
    There is some value in making the game reasonably accessible to American players and coaches, but I agree that *interesting* wrinkles shouldn't be ironed out. It would be fun to see this play emerge from obscurity to become an occasional element of the game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    There is some value in making the game reasonably accessible to American players and coaches, but I agree that *interesting* wrinkles shouldn't be ironed out. It would be fun to see this play emerge from obscurity to become an occasional element of the game.
    We used to see the on side quick kick much more 30 40 years ago. Used to work best if your QB could punt somewhat. Have a speedy WR be on side with the wind at your back. 2nd and long deep in your own end. Even if you didn't recover the kick it use to end up with about a 60 yard ex-change in field position. Was always a good trick to play on the Argos back then in the Eastern Semi or Final playoffs and break our hearts. lol There used to be some good punting QB's back then like Bernie Faloney, Joe Zugar and Sonny Wade.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    We used to see the on side quick kick much more 30 40 years ago. Used to work best if your QB could punt somewhat. Have a speedy WR be on side with the wind at your back. 2nd and long deep in your own end. Even if you didn't recover the kick it use to end up with about a 60 yard ex-change in field position. Was always a good trick to play on the Argos back then in the Eastern Semi or Final playoffs and break our hearts. lol There used to be some good punting QB's back then like Bernie Faloney, Joe Zugar and Sonny Wade.

Yes the theory of the call was excellent it's the execution and the location on the filed which was poor.