Thread: Victor Butler

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Butler looking to be a huge pickup, as is Bear Woods IMO. TBH, the defence is playing a lot better than I anticipated, but I still feel the secondary is our weak point on defence, and you know who needs to be replaced.
    Is his name hyphenated?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Butler looking to be a huge pickup, as is Bear Woods IMO. TBH, the defence is playing a lot better than I anticipated, but I still feel the secondary is our weak point on defence, and you know who needs to be replaced.
    Has you know who been beat this year? I have yet to see a big game from a short side wide out this year against the Argos. Young Brandon Harris is the only db that has struggled IMO, but I'm not willing to give up on a rookie.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Has you know who been beat this year? I have yet to see a big game from a short side wide out this year against the Argos. Young Brandon Harris is the only db that has struggled IMO, but I'm not willing to give up on a rookie.
    After suffering through last years D I am thrilled with what they have done so far, superior talent level and much more aggressive scheme nice to watch.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The defence is playing extremely well. Most of Ellingson's big plays were superb throws and catches. Some credit is due to the other team.

We definitely need more depth on the d-line. Can't expect Lemon and Butler to play every down all season without wearing down.

I would like to see two NATs at DT (rotating among the three) but Waud needs to get healthy for that to be possible. That switch would allow us to insert an INT on the o-line, which is still struggling. I can't decide who is having a worse year, Holmes or Watman, but leaning to the former. Deane's turn may be coming.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The defence is playing extremely well. Most of Ellingson's big plays were superb throws and catches. Some credit is due to the other team.

We definitely need more depth on the d-line. Can't expect Lemon and Butler to play every down all season without wearing down.

I would like to see two NATs at DT (rotating among the three) but Waud needs to get healthy for that to be possible. That switch would allow us to insert an INT on the o-line, which is still struggling. I can't decide who is having a worse year, Holmes or Watman, but leaning to the former. Deane's turn may be coming.
    I think the Argos probably need to dress one less receiver and an extra D-lineman too. Paden wasn't even looked at last night. Would have been better off starting Noel (same body type as Fuller too) at that spot and getting the extra depth on the line, but who can argue with a victory?
    Last edited by AngeloV; 07-09-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Butler is still on pace to get 40 sacks.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Didn't see Bishop go out with an injury, but Findley - in the rest of this game - was easily & clearly (IMO) way better than Bishop has been.
    I only noticed him a couple of times, but I thought he looked a bit sluggish for a guy coming in fresh halfway through a game. He was certainly good enough to earn some future rotation time, though.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Butler is still on pace to get 40 sacks.
    He's on pace for 42, but if he decides to get serious...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I only noticed him a couple of times, but I thought he looked a bit sluggish for a guy coming in fresh halfway through a game. He was certainly good enough to earn some future rotation time, though.
    I believe Finley got credit for two sacks. Don't know why Waud (if he can stay healthy) Laing and Finley at DT, and Lemon, Butler and Tuggle at DE couldn't be an effective unit for the D Line and another Canadian starter position.
    Ricky is taking too many hard hits IMO that could be remedied somewhat with a bit more talent and size on the O Line. IMO they should drop Paden and replace that position with Noel and/or Coombs. Move Washington to RG. Start Will Campbell at LT. Play James Wilder more as a FB/SB/TE along with Whitaker in the back field. Wilder IMO would be a much better blocker, a receiver out of the backfield and occasionally running the ball than Cross. Those changes would still give them 7 starters for the ratio. It is so easy being a arm chair QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I believe Finley got credit for two sacks. Don't know why Waud (if he can stay healthy) Laing and Finley at DT, and Lemon, Butler and Tuggle at DE couldn't be an effective unit for the D Line and another Canadian starter position.
    Ricky is taking too many hard hits IMO that could be remedied somewhat with a bit more talent and size on the O Line. IMO they should drop Paden and replace that position with Noel and/or Coombs. Move Washington to RG. Start Will Campbell at LT. Play James Wilder more as a FB/SB/TE along with Whitaker in the back field. Wilder IMO would be a much better blocker, a receiver out of the backfield and occasionally running the ball than Cross. Those changes would still give them 7 starters for the ratio. It is so easy being a arm chair QB.
    As for the defensive line, Alan Michael Cash is on the 6 game. If he gets healthy he would really add to the interior. Not sure of the nature of Bishops injury. I don't know if Findley is a long term starter despite last nights performance. Dylan Wynn is also an option at DT. Will Brian Jones ever play SB? Not sure if he is really hurt or just not a favourite of Popp. I would start him ahead of Paden.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    As for the defensive line, Alan Michael Cash is on the 6 game. If he gets healthy he would really add to the interior. Not sure of the nature of Bishops injury. I don't know if Findley is a long term starter despite last nights performance. Dylan Wynn is also an option at DT. Will Brian Jones ever play SB? Not sure if he is really hurt or just not a favourite of Popp. I would start him ahead of Paden.
    I don't think anyone saw Brian Jones during training camp or in the preseason so I think it is safe to say that he is indeed injured.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bishop must have an upper body injury. We saw him strolling around without his shoulder pads during the game in the second half.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I would start him ahead of Paden.
    Jones is not a wideout type. If I had to chose a replacement for Fuller, it would be either Noel, or Ralph at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I don't think anyone saw Brian Jones during training camp or in the preseason so I think it is safe to say that he is indeed injured.
    He was practicing last Wednesday when I attended.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I can't tell whether Tuggle is a rush end or a LB. He seems to be built more like a LB, and he changed his number to 24 which is not really a d-line number. I saw him on the field once or twice in the first two home games but it seemed to me that both Lemon and Butler were also on the field at the same time. But I could be wrong about that.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I can't tell whether Tuggle is a rush end or a LB. He seems to be built more like a LB, and he changed his number to 24 which is not really a d-line number. I saw him on the field once or twice in the first two home games but it seemed to me that both Lemon and Butler were also on the field at the same time. But I could be wrong about that.
    I noticed he went in few times as 4th LB when Argos went to a 34 defense. Especially against Hamilton. But he rushed the QB instead of dropping back in coverage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Jones is not a wideout type. If I had to chose a replacement for Fuller, it would be either Noel, or Ralph at this point.

He was practicing last Wednesday when I attended.

IF Jones is healthy and just sitting around on the PR or IR or something = what a waste - of a 1st round draft pick and a (maybe?) outstanding young receiver talent (college ball receiving stats + measureables - suggest this).

Again - if the current regime has no use for this guy (and would rather play Paden types), then have to think he could make pretty decent trade bait - the Ticats (Fantuz out) and Bombers, in particular, have very little NI receiving talent on their rosters. I'd be happy with a mid round draft pick or a depth/back-up type for the roster rather than see Jones waste away. The only one NI receiver need apply for playing time (and it's a running back in Coombs) thinking also means Noel and Ralph (of the outstanding pre-season) sit on the bench only. So Paden can play ???

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IF Jones is healthy and just sitting around on the PR or IR or something = what a waste - of a 1st round draft pick and a (maybe?) outstanding young receiver talent (college ball receiving stats + measureables - suggest this).

Again - if the current regime has no use for this guy (and would rather play Paden types), then have to think he could make pretty decent trade bait - the Ticats (Fantuz out) and Bombers, in particular, have very little NI receiving talent on their rosters. I'd be happy with a mid round draft pick or a depth/back-up type for the roster rather than see Jones waste away. The only one NI receiver need apply for playing time (and it's a running back in Coombs) thinking also means Noel and Ralph (of the outstanding pre-season) sit on the bench only. So Paden can play ???
    OV. You would trade our last year #1 pick for a mid rounder. He is suppose to be a starter by now and another Fantuz. I guess Somebody forgot to tell Trestman. Just maybe Trestman thinks Noel is going to be the better player.

However, I would trade him in a minute for Winnipeg's #2 pick this year OG Quad Spooner. If not Okafor or Vaughan from Hamilton, but Popp might not want to trade with an Eastern rival.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    To win championships, you need depth. I certainly would not give a prospect like Jones away for a mid-round pick at this point. Just because someone isn't on the 46 two weeks into the season doesn't mean he won't become a player. He may or may not be out of our plans but if he is, he's still an asset we should hold on to until something of equal or greater value is offered.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    OV. You would trade our last year #1 pick for a mid rounder. He is suppose to be a starter by now and another Fantuz. I guess Somebody forgot to tell Trestman. Just maybe Trestman thinks Noel is going to be the better player.

However, I would trade him in a minute for Winnipeg's #2 pick this year OG Quad Spooner. If not Okafor or Vaughan from Hamilton, but Popp might not want to trade with an Eastern rival.
    Problem is that Jones has been injured for all or part of 2 straight training camps. Hard to win a job that way. Argos like Coombs, so he plays. I have no issue with that if you are not an established talent. One thing that can't be overlooked so far is that the Argos reduced the number of back up LB types from last year, and have gone with more WR types. I know it's early, but the speed has really been evident on kick coverage where they have been much better than at any point last year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

I wouldn't trade the guy away for a roll of tape or anything, but if this "asset" is just sitting on the PR or IR and it's obvious they feel only one Canadian need apply for playing time in the 5 pack, and Noel and Ralph are around for "depth" anyways, then I'd try to at least make trade inquires with teams who are lacking at the "NI receiver position" - at this point in time. Now maybe they think that Jones just needs a bit more time and will be a good one after he "develops" more, or maybe he is nicked some, but the fact that a mediocre like Paden gets put in the line-up instead suggests to me they don't think much of Jones (or Noel or Ralph for that matter).

No way the Bummers are giving up Spooner; and Vaughn was a late round pick that all teams in the league could have valued more. I'd take a 3rd round pick and another roster young back-up guy for Jones - before he flees as a free agent anyways.