Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

AJ Jefferson released by the REDBLACKS

Wow. Yes, he looked bad on Green's TD but anyone can stumble. He must have been consistently poor to be released this quickly.

I'm starting to understand why we have an almost entirely new secondary this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Can't say I'm surprised.

Achievements:

Level
    Really? Please elaborate.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jefferson claims he only lined up against Green 3 times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    D-backfield play is a huge concern for a lot of CFL teams now - not enough good DBs?; or maybe weak defensive schemes that expose DBs a lot in coverage?

Pretty well zero worry for CFL defences now to get exploited by a consistent ground game. Why not have at least 6 pure DBs in the game most of the time - and a mix of zone & man coverages? Even a cover OLB (usually a converted DB anyways), lined-up close to the line and then turning his back to chase a receiver is IMO poor defensive scheme. Go with lots of pass rush (at least 5 on obvious passing downs - maybe 5 pure D-line types = 3 big bodies in the middle and 2 pass rush DE types); one LB only and 6 DBs behind them? = a fifty-one D look ? You could also blitz the LB or the extra free safety type. One of the athletic DEs could also drop in coverage at times and playing games with 2 safeties who give different looks could confuse QB reads who like to see where the one safety is lined-up.

Scape-goating a DB who gets burned in one game and cutting him is IMO mostly B$. Cutting dumb, myopic defensive coaches might make more sense.

Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Pretty well zero worry for CFL defences now to get exploited by a consistent ground game. Why not have at least 6 pure DBs in the game most of the time - and a mix of zone & man coverages?
    I think you're right, OV.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I think you're right, OV.
    Teams have used 6 DB's as a base for years. SAM is basically a cover LB played by a DB. I believe ,Don Matthews started this trend when he converted Don Wilson to that spot in the 90's.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him back in at CB with Rico dropping back to HB. Ottawa needed an example, and AJ's was highlight reel. This guy is still young and athletic enough. He can bring the big play. He'd be motivated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Did those with a better eye than me think he was bad last year as well? I think you could pick on almost anyone in our secondary last year if you felt up to it, in fairness they also didn’t benefit from a lot of pressure on opposing QB’s either…

I’m sort of surprised by this but maybe I had him overrated in my mind too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    D-backfield play is a huge concern for a lot of CFL teams now - not enough good DBs?; or maybe weak defensive schemes that expose DBs a lot in coverage?

Pretty well zero worry for CFL defences now to get exploited by a consistent ground game. Why not have at least 6 pure DBs in the game most of the time - and a mix of zone & man coverages? Even a cover OLB (usually a converted DB anyways), lined-up close to the line and then turning his back to chase a receiver is IMO poor defensive scheme. Go with lots of pass rush (at least 5 on obvious passing downs - maybe 5 pure D-line types = 3 big bodies in the middle and 2 pass rush DE types); one LB only and 6 DBs behind them? = a fifty-one D look ? You could also blitz the LB or the extra free safety type. One of the athletic DEs could also drop in coverage at times and playing games with 2 safeties who give different looks could confuse QB reads who like to see where the one safety is lined-up.

Scape-goating a DB who gets burned in one game and cutting him is IMO mostly B$. Cutting dumb, myopic defensive coaches might make more sense.
    I think the no contact rule after five yards has exposed a lot of the DB's for their cover skills. Jefferson is just probably an injury a way from catching on somewhere again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Jefferson looked bad last season, and hasn't looked that good so far this season either, so I'm not surprised that the Redblacks have let him go. We don't need him here, Popp can find better players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Teams have used 6 DB's as a base for years. SAM is basically a cover LB played by a DB. I believe ,Don Matthews started this trend when he converted Don Wilson to that spot in the 90's.

My point is - you don't need a SAM (even if it is a converted DB) - who still lines up more like a linebacker, close to the line of scrimmage, and often ends up turning his back to chase a slotback, who often has a waggle start. The 6th DB should be more like another safety - who is often lined up deep (but plays games back and forth with the other safety - sometimes one or the other could be up close to the line) - and a deeper safety can often read better and then have the ability to come forward (or down hill as I call it) to close on the ball / receiver. IMO - there should almost always be a free DB, who is lined-up deeper and gets to read and come downhill, or maybe has to provide deep support. And having sometimes 2 of those guys on the D - both smart D players who can read well and are ballhawks - could do lots of damage in coverage. SAM backers starting close to the line can't do this job. And wimpy CFL safety play now - often smaller cover guys who aren't big hitters and who are asked to do man coverage - is a reason why there are so few INTs by safeties or big hits/tackles that strike fear in receivers anymore; Taylor Loffler seems like more of a throwback there. Rover is the proper (IMO) old term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    A bit off topic, but while on the topic of defensive backs, why was Matt Webster playing corner for a little against Ottawa? Elinzondo recognized this and put Ellingson against him resulting in a big gain.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    A bit off topic, but while on the topic of defensive backs, why was Matt Webster playing corner for a little against Ottawa? Elinzondo recognized this and put Ellingson against him resulting in a big gain.
    Chamblin has done that a fair bit this year. I noticed it in both home games. Rotating both Webster and Woodson in.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    My point is - you don't need a SAM (even if it is a converted DB) - who still lines up more like a linebacker, close to the line of scrimmage, and often ends up turning his back to chase a slotback, who often has a waggle start. The 6th DB should be more like another safety - who is often lined up deep (but plays games back and forth with the other safety - sometimes one or the other could be up close to the line) - and a deeper safety can often read better and then have the ability to come forward (or down hill as I call it) to close on the ball / receiver. IMO - there should almost always be a free DB, who is lined-up deeper and gets to read and come downhill, or maybe has to provide deep support. And having sometimes 2 of those guys on the D - both smart D players who can read well and are ballhawks - could do lots of damage in coverage. SAM backers starting close to the line can't do this job. And wimpy CFL safety play now - often smaller cover guys who aren't big hitters and who are asked to do man coverage - is a reason why there are so few INTs by safeties or big hits/tackles that strike fear in receivers anymore; Taylor Loffler seems like more of a throwback there. Rover is the proper (IMO) old term.
    The Argos' SAM doesn't line up near the LOS very often. Based on what I saw in the two home games, we often play what looks like a 4-2-6, and sometimes it ends up a 4-1-7, with both Ball and Vaughan dropping deep.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Really? Please elaborate.
    A receiver coming off an ACL injury just totally abused him. They bet on Jefferson to go back to his 2015 form but he looks worse than last year. And the Red Blacks probably have had more big plays from their secondary the last two years than any other team. They've come to rely on that.

Time to cut your losses.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    A receiver coming off an ACL injury just totally abused him. They bet on Jefferson to go back to his 2015 form but he looks worse than last year. And the Red Blacks probably have had more big plays from their secondary the last two years than any other team. They've come to rely on that.

Time to cut your losses.
    Let's be fair here, while Jefferson hasn't looked good in a season and 3 games, S.J Green isn't playing like a 32 year old receiver coming off serious knee surgery.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Chamblin has done that a fair bit this year. I noticed it in both home games. Rotating both Webster and Woodson in.
    In other words, Canadians or Nationals are getting an opportunity to play cornerback. Interesting.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Let's be fair here, while Jefferson hasn't looked good in a season and 3 games, S.J Green isn't playing like a 32 year old receiver coming off serious knee surgery.
    If you didn’t know SJ Green had the ACL injury last year, you wouldn’t be able to tell it based on his play so far this year. Forgot how good he really is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I think that's a good idea to move the back ups in for a few plays for experience so they aren't thrown in cold when an injury occurs. (Re: Mitchell's injury in the TiCat game). Would like to see Noel get a few reps on the offense as well.