Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Doug Flutie almost came back to the CFL:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/25/do...came-back-cfl/
    I remember when that was being discussed, would have been interesting but glad it didn't happen.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Doug Flutie almost came back to the CFL:

http://3downnation.com/2017/07/25/do...came-back-cfl/
    I wonder if they would have talked about it had he not gone back to the NFL and had some success.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I guess I'd direct that question to GM Jim Popp. Is there a decent pool out of the additional 32 QB now 4th onNFL rosters that you wouldn't mind a hot at? In fact, I will ask him that question and some others that come to mind. He is very accessible.

I enjoyed the days when players played here and they did make better money than the NFL. I don't think it's a stretch for the CFL to pay more than NFL practice rosters.
    I'm very interested to hear what Popp says about this. Given how many bad QBs there are in the NFL (outside of the playoff teams), I find it hard to imagine there are fourth-stringers who would be better than Reilly, Mitchell, Jennings, Lulay, Ray, Collaros, Harris, Durant etc. if we could afford to pay them more than PR money.

I also enjoyed the days when the CFL could outbid the NFL for players, but that ceased in 1982 (with one exception since then -- Rocket Ismail).

Here is what SBNation reported last September re practice squads:

Practice squad players earn significantly less than players on the active roster, but they still take home a solid weekly paycheck. NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $6,900 per week that they are on the practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season (at a minimum salary of $6,900 per week), he would earn a minimum of $117,300 over the full regular season if he keeps his spot on the practice squad. If a team makes the playoffs, these payments continue for as long as the team is in the playoffs.

To protect their players from other teams, or because they really like the potential of a given player, some teams pay their roster squad players significantly more. There is no limit to how much a team can pay a player on the practice squad, although the practice squad contracts do count against the salary cap.

The Patriots for example are one NFL team that consistently goes above and beyond the minimum practice squad rate. At certain points, the Pats have paid their entire practice squad weekly rates above the minimum salary. In 2015, the Rams paid supplemental draft pick OT Isaiah Battle $25,588 per week, which adds up to last year's $435,000 rookie minimum over 17 weeks, the highest amount ever paid to a practice squad player.

The upside of the practice squad is that if a player is called up to the 53-man regular roster, either by his own team or by another team, he automatically signs a contract with the $450,000 minimum NFL salary. And because three weeks of that contract are guaranteed, even if that player is released, waived or traded before the three weeks are up, being called up comes with a $79,411 guarantee (3/17th of $450,000).

So any player who lasts an entire season on NFL PR would earn minimum of $146,000 Cdn at today's exchange rate.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I guess I'd direct that question to GM Jim Popp. Is there a decent pool out of the additional 32 QB now 4th onNFL rosters that you wouldn't mind a hot at? In fact, I will ask him that question and some others that come to mind. He is very accessible.

I enjoyed the days when players played here and they did make better money than the NFL. I don't think it's a stretch for the CFL to pay more than NFL practice rosters.
    Jim Popp loves signing ex-NFLers or any big name all-American players. He might be all ga ga over all sorts of NFL practice roster QBs (who make less than CFL starters); wether they are any good for the CFL or could beat out some current CFL 2nd or 3rd stringers, is another matter. They might in TC competition.

Be very glad the NFL thinkers currently have little to no use for top CFL QBs - Mitchell, Reilly, Collaros, Harris, Durant - will likely never get any NFL interest; I guess Jennings possibly could, but doubtful IMO; let the NFL super expert keep some of the stiffs they have at QB if they will leave the CFL best QBs alone. And the CFL has found some good young starters the past few seasons and have some other promising types in the wings - Franklin with the Esks; maybe Fajardo; Adams with the Als has superb QB skills IMO; maybe Bridge or Buckley. And nice to see Lulay come off the bench and show he can still play very well in BC; Masoli has looked very good at times as the Ticats 2nd stringer. CFL QBing is in pretty decent shape now IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I remember when that was being discussed, would have been interesting but glad it didn't happen.
    Doug, in the twilight of his NFL career this side of Y2K, became a chronic interception tosser. Further, playing for the Chargers against KC, he was very severely thumped (by a D lineman, IIRC), which incidentally started Drew Brees' career.

Flutie was wise to retire when he did, and we remember him as the great QB that he was.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    Doug, in the twilight of his NFL career this side of Y2K, became a chronic interception tosser. Further, playing for the Chargers against KC, he was very severely thumped (by a D lineman, IIRC), which incidentally started Drew Brees' career.

Flutie was wise to retire when he did, and we remember him as the great QB that he was.
    If you actually look through some of his CFL statistics you will see that Doug did throw quite a few interceptions in his CFL career. He threw 24 in his breakout season in '91, 30 in '92 and 24 in '97. The difference between that and the NFL of course is that he made up for it in spades in other areas.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Most NFL teams keep three QBs on the roster, and some only dress 2 on game day. If any league has an additional pool of QBs right now, it's the CFL.