Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level

Attendance issues, marketing, and management suggestions

OK....yes I am from the USA and no I am not an elitist, far from it. I looked at the Toronto game last night because I follow Bear Woods. I coached Bear when he was in high school and do like the Canadian style of football. I just can't figure out why a city of 2 million can't put more than 13,000 in a stadium (although it looked about 10,000 last night so I did some research. I know new management, GM (who I respect) and coaching staff so I will start there. I looked at the organizational structure and see certain areas need to be increased and some decreased. I would increase the marketing of the team and social media platform targeting youth and women. There is more account executives and personnel than what is needed (13). That is averaging 1000 tickets sold per person. Marketing has a decent number but more need to be added in the social media area. On there website I wish they would kill that song that comes on when you go to buy tickets, just over and over again. Jason is a cool mascot but hell give that man a woman and let the community pick her name, maybe some kids, with a dog. This induces a a family atmosphere and more mascots to visit around the stadium. Promotions need to be creative as I have seen bobble head night for like Doug Flutie (good call) but need to target kids. For instance, what about a spinner night with a cool looking spinner in Argo colors, with the Argo logo in the middle. I see on the Argos social media of them promoting the players and the community but let's go a step further. I checked out a YouTube on Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and what they do to promote their team with their mascot. Here are a few https://youtu.be/0lxpYdYpZGs , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUrvYSoWjM and they have more dealing with the staff that is cool www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9494-PHsLg. I don't know what fan experience that they do before the game but they need to be also included aiming at the youth. These are just a few things and it is not bashing the league but just a few things to think about. They have a solid GM and coaching staff with no issues there. They could be 5-0 and still only draw a low number of people to the game. Bottom line is to target the youth and families. One last question...when was the last time management visited bars and pubs to promote their team handing out a few tickets? Come up with reasonable prices at the beginning of the season with promotions. Coming up so late into the season with a family of 4 promotion ticks the season ticket holders off. This should have been done on a Saturday or Sunday. Have a college night with anyone with a college ID gets in at a reduced rate. How about a Christmas in July Night or a Valentines Day in August night? Every significant other gets a rose, a double blue rose. Just a few thoughts. Go Bear!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Welcome. The main issue is that a lot of Torontonians see the CFL as minor league and see Toronto as major league. A lot of the things that you suggest have been done or are being done.

You should probably check out these Threads for more thought and ideas:

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...tadium-of-Fans

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?4979-Argo-Hype

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...99-Family-Pack

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...the-field-2017
    Last edited by Neely2005; 08-04-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    A team that was established in 1873 shouldn't need marketing,the Argos have had 144 years to build a brand. With the changing demographics of the city over the decades, there is very little appreciation for the historical significance of the Argos.

Its a crowed marketplace with NHL,NBA,MLB & MLS to compete with and a widely held perception that NFL and NCAA football is better.

The only thing that will improve attendance is a winning product.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    A team that was established in 1873 shouldn't need marketing,the Argos have had 144 years to build a brand. With the changing demographics of the city over the decades, there is very little appreciation for the historical significance of the Argos.

Its a crowed marketplace with NHL,NBA,MLB & MLS to compete with and a widely held perception that NFL and NCAA football is better.

The only thing that will improve attendance is a winning product.
    The '96-'97 Argonauts say hello.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    These are contradictory thoughts. If the brand is now established as what it is today, we're doomed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Welcome, you haven't also taken into account that there have been negative factors on the team since the blue jays showed up, the early 80's blackouts that people say cost the team a generation of potential fans, the missteps of ownership since then that have hampered and nearly crippled the team at times (for example, Braley barely keeping the lights on (everything scaled back to bare minimum) from 2010-2015, 2012 season and grey cup win that year are the exception in his time as owner). There is also the changing of attitude towards the argos and the cfl by toronto media people, specifically the poisoning for the last several years or so by Rogers owned media outlets like fan 590 radio hosts and sportsnet (they really want an NFL team, despite the massive flop of the Bills In Toronto series of games, and really just hate the cfl and the argos)...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLUSA View Post
    OK....yes I am from the USA and no I am not an elitist, far from it. I looked at the Toronto game last night because I follow Bear Woods. I coached Bear when he was in high school and do like the Canadian style of football. I just can't figure out why a city of 2 million can't put more than 13,000 in a stadium (although it looked about 10,000 last night so I did some research. I know new management, GM (who I respect) and coaching staff so I will start there. I looked at the organizational structure and see certain areas need to be increased and some decreased. I would increase the marketing of the team and social media platform targeting youth and women. There is more account executives and personnel than what is needed (13). That is averaging 1000 tickets sold per person. Marketing has a decent number but more need to be added in the social media area. On there website I wish they would kill that song that comes on when you go to buy tickets, just over and over again. Jason is a cool mascot but hell give that man a woman and let the community pick her name, maybe some kids, with a dog. This induces a a family atmosphere and more mascots to visit around the stadium. Promotions need to be creative as I have seen bobble head night for like Doug Flutie (good call) but need to target kids. For instance, what about a spinner night with a cool looking spinner in Argo colors, with the Argo logo in the middle. I see on the Argos social media of them promoting the players and the community but let's go a step further. I checked out a YouTube on Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and what they do to promote their team with their mascot. Here are a few https://youtu.be/0lxpYdYpZGs , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUrvYSoWjM and they have more dealing with the staff that is cool www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9494-PHsLg. I don't know what fan experience that they do before the game but they need to be also included aiming at the youth. These are just a few things and it is not bashing the league but just a few things to think about. They have a solid GM and coaching staff with no issues there. They could be 5-0 and still only draw a low number of people to the game. Bottom line is to target the youth and families. One last question...when was the last time management visited bars and pubs to promote their team handing out a few tickets? Come up with reasonable prices at the beginning of the season with promotions. Coming up so late into the season with a family of 4 promotion ticks the season ticket holders off. This should have been done on a Saturday or Sunday. Have a college night with anyone with a college ID gets in at a reduced rate. How about a Christmas in July Night or a Valentines Day in August night? Every significant other gets a rose, a double blue rose. Just a few thoughts. Go Bear!
    Welcome aboard.
    Fresh perspectives alway welcome.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for a load of great ideas. It is truly mind boggling that in a catchment area of 6 million potential customers, the Argos struggle to draw 25,000 fans.

Bear Woods is a remarkable young man. He's a fan favourite both here and Montreal. Lots of credit to his father, grandfather and all his coaches a long the way.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    Welcome, you haven't also taken into account that there have been negative factors on the team since the blue jays showed up, the early 80's blackouts that people say cost the team a generation of potential fans, the missteps of ownership since then that have hampered and nearly crippled the team at times (for example, Braley barely keeping the lights on (everything scaled back to bare minimum) from 2010-2015, 2012 season and grey cup win that year are the exception in his time as owner). There is also the changing of attitude towards the argos and the cfl by toronto media people, specifically the poisoning for the last several years or so by Rogers owned media outlets like fan 590 radio hosts and sportsnet (they really want an NFL team, despite the massive flop of the Bills In Toronto series of games, and really just hate the cfl and the argos)...
    Rogers damaged the brand. Kept calling it minor league when the true wording should be Canadian League. It is a complete mirror image of Canada, always fighting for ground. It is the only Canadian Sports League that still survives.

Can you imagine the Blue Jays, Raptors, TFC without American money supporting the Toronto teams. I couldn't, because they wouldn't be here!!

Rogers the A.H. company it is reminds me of a bully hiding under their mothers skirt and once and a while comes out and throws a rock at the CFL then runs back under mommas skirt. Wraps themselves in the Canadian Flag when appropriate always hiding and protected by Canadian regulations. Something the CFL does not have but still doing quite well in spite of companies like rogers

Also there is only 1500 playing Major Jr. A Hockey, Usports football has a little less than this. 75000 playing NCAA football. Statistically the better athletes are weighted towards what?. IN fact the minor league as Rogers would lead you to believe has more available to it then all the other sports combined at the NCAA level. Basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer participants will not add up to the 75000. Then the 2 leagues CFL/NFL only draft 300.

Here's a question - do you rate a league by it's US money availability or by its athletes? When you look at the other leagues in town the best athletes are on the Argos. Just do a side by side comparison and you get the picture.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    Rogers damaged the brand. Kept calling it minor league when the true wording should be Canadian League. It is a complete mirror image of Canada, always fighting for ground. It is the only Canadian Sports League that still survives.

Can you imagine the Blue Jays, Raptors, TFC without American money supporting the Toronto teams. I couldn't, because they wouldn't be here!!

Rogers the A.H. company it is reminds me of a bully hiding under their mothers skirt and once and a while comes out and throws a rock at the CFL then runs back under mommas skirt. Wraps themselves in the Canadian Flag when appropriate always hiding and protected by Canadian regulations. Something the CFL does not have but still doing quite well in spite of companies like rogers

Also there is only 1500 playing Major Jr. A Hockey, Usports football has a little less than this. 75000 playing NCAA football. Statistically the better athletes are weighted towards what?. IN fact the minor league as Rogers would lead you to believe has more available to it then all the other sports combined at the NCAA level. Basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer participants will not add up to the 75000. Then the 2 leagues CFL/NFL only draft 300.

Here's a question - do you rate a league by it's US money availability or by its athletes? When you look at the other leagues in town the best athletes are on the Argos. Just do a side by side comparison and you get the picture.
    Absolutely agree. The CFL players are world class athletes. The idea that the CFL is somehow 'minor league' is so misguided and an example of Canada's (and in particular Toronto's) apparent need for US approval to see themselves as 'world class'. We have Canadian Rules Football, just as the Australians have their 'Aussie Rules Football': our distinct variations on the original game of Rugby, just as the NCAA and NFL brands are the American versions of the sport. Oh sure, the NFL pays more, so any player would choose to go there if they could, but our game requires a unique skill set, so the players are differently skilled, not inferior, to the NFL guys. But Rogers has competing interests, be it Jays or the ill-fated Bills experiment, so the myth of inferiority is continued...it's actually quite unpatriotic! In this, Canada's 150th year, we should be celebrating the uniquely Canadian things we have pioneered. The CFL is one such thing, even if many of the players are from the US. I, for one (and I'm sure many on this forum), are so proud of this distinctly Canadian league. I think maybe promoting how unique our game is might be the way to go to get through Torontonians heads that there is no better athletic display happening in the city than the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Well stated, Argofan_1000. You summed it up extremely well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I've said it many times but I don't think it's as much the fact that the CFL is strictly a Canadian league that makes the misinformed snobs think it's minor league, but more the disparity in salaries. In their alledged minds, if an athlete isn't making millions he's second rate. Really pisses me off.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I've said it many times but I don't think it's as much the fact that the CFL is strictly a Canadian league that makes the misinformed snobs think it's minor league, but more the disparity in salaries. In their alledged minds, if an athlete isn't making millions he's second rate. Really pisses me off.
    JaMarcus Russell and RYan Lief would disagree .

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Good suggestions. I think our mascot Jason needs to take a wife and have a few little ones. Contest to name them drawn at the game? Argos also said they were going to have special pricing for kids next year but couldn't do it in 2017. Walt Disney world has mascots all over interacting with the patrons/kids. Get Walt Disney involved as they own ESPN which owns a portion of TSN. 10 or 11 million watch some portion of the GC with some family winning a Disney vacation? Just seems like a fit. A Vegas vacation?, they are already advertising? Buy a field ad and then they are selling back into America during one of the ESPN broadcasts at a fraction of the US price. I am sure there are lots of partners that would be there to help. We need to exploit the US connection.

Bars promotion - if the bar around TO is found to be watching the Argos then they are shown during the Argo game on TSN or on the Jumbo screen - patrons are given some tickets or hats, jerseys as a promotion. TSN would need to help with this. Bar gets free advertising and Argos and TSN get free PR helping to promote the Argos and CFL. A sponsored event for sure- Coors or who ever? Boston Pizza - Shoeless Joes - I like it. What Bar owner wouldn't want this. Wear an Argo hat or jersey - well something special for you.

I always said they should have a women's day/girls day - during Breast Cancer awareness month, would work I think and its the right thing to do - a kids day - look under your seat kids, one of you have won? A school day - same thing, Canada Day weekend game, Family Day, bobble head day next year with Pin Ball?, plus opening day with something special, 2 TC games next yr plus the yearly exhibition game before Sept. SRR. Sports day with the local school teams? A QB contest with the local schools - Use some of the donation money to local teams and draw a team or league for equipment giveaways etc. League wide then I am sure sponsors will be there to help. - work with York and U of T football teams - Argo tickets get into one of these games? One of their tickets gets you into the Argo game with an adult admission . During a break in the action introduce the local sports teams by having them stand - too many teams? good problem

Promote a weekend in TO for our US football viewers - an annual event- to all the boarder states advertise on ESPN - watch your NCAA stars play professional football in TO in the summer. 2 nights @ $125/night plus 2 tickets to the Argos $250 US, discounts to Boston Pizza or who ever wants to play ball. I am sure that might attract some. During the Ex? where your ticket also gets you in for free? How many NCAA schools/towns/cities are bordering Ontario. PA, Oh, NY? Wear your NCAA school colours/colors for ? register you team at the gate and be recognized on the Jumbo screen.

They can also continue with the cooperation of the TiCats every year don't know what can be done there but it seems like a opportunity to be explored/exploited. A season ticket gets you a ticket in the other park for one of the games between the 2 teams? Also with the Al's and RB's

EE with the largest 50/50 ever with the largest attendance. need to be looked at on how this can work for every team. Official car or truck of the CFL drawn at the GC for one of the season ticket holders of the league? Again sponsored - player of the game wins an official car or truck of the CFL during GC game? Every ball park displays the car or truck that will be drawn during GC? everyone benefits - league - teams - TSN- car company - and the person winning.

Season tickets holders can also be placed into a draw for 4 GC tickets plus flight plus hotel. Sponsored event or "many sponsors" to be drawn at one of the games? every CFL team should do this. A little incentive for purchasing season tickets. 4 tickets 4 chances

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level

You are so right about the large number of of football players coming out of the US Colleges every year. Except for the top picks every year there is very little difference talent wise for many of the rest. I can remember reading an article several years ago quoting an all Pro CB during training camp. He said "you know there are 10 of us in camp and 5 are going to get cut. But we are all good enough to play in the League". That happens every year at most positions. Multiply that by 32 teams and there are a lot of world class athletes cut every year by the NFL. I believe they are keeping more players around now because of the concussion issues, but there are still a ton of very good football players available every year. Also some of these are more suited to the CFL size wise because of the bigger field etc.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

One More Point on attendance

Calgary game was a rare off-night for the Jays. Two earlier 2017 Argo home dates
    had the last-place Jays at home same night, same start-time.
    Jays got over 40,000 at both of those games, but for the Calgary game once again
    Argos have under 12K. There is no substance to the argument about Jays crowding
    out the Argos, clearly these are two distinct fan bases.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Al&Kat View Post
    There is no substance to the argument about Jays crowding
    out the Argos, clearly these are two distinct fan bases.
    There is substance to the fact that Argo losses in attendance, relevance, popularity, etc, over the last 30-35 years have come more or less in direct disproportion to the Jays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    There is substance to the fact that Argo losses in attendance, relevance, popularity, etc, over the last 30-35 years have come more or less in direct disproportion to the Jays.
    Maybe more to do with the city changing. If the Jays never showed up in Toronto would we be in the same position. Possibly I think. There have been many missteps over the years but there is no denying this is a great product and a great league. The small crowds get us all down but I still hope that we can get back to 25K+ crowds in the near future. I agree social media needs some real work. I also agree that the problem with Rogers needs a new plan to get them on board. You cannot keep fighting with 50% of the sport TV media.

All the Blue Jays hats at other stadiums in the CFL drive me nuts. The rest of the country does not hear the crap we do from places like the Fan 590.
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

New Fan
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I just hope they stay afloat - I enjoy the games but wonder if they are close to breaking even.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Good suggestions. I think our mascot Jason needs to take a wife and have a few little ones. Contest to name them drawn at the game? Argos also said they were going to have special pricing for kids next year but couldn't do it in 2017. Walt Disney world has mascots all over interacting with the patrons/kids. Get Walt Disney involved as they own ESPN which owns a portion of TSN. 10 or 11 million watch some portion of the GC with some family winning a Disney vacation? Just seems like a fit. A Vegas vacation?, they are already advertising? Buy a field ad and then they are selling back into America during one of the ESPN broadcasts at a fraction of the US price. I am sure there are lots of partners that would be there to help. We need to exploit the US connection.

Bars promotion - if the bar around TO is found to be watching the Argos then they are shown during the Argo game on TSN or on the Jumbo screen - patrons are given some tickets or hats, jerseys as a promotion. TSN would need to help with this. Bar gets free advertising and Argos and TSN get free PR helping to promote the Argos and CFL. A sponsored event for sure- Coors or who ever? Boston Pizza - Shoeless Joes - I like it. What Bar owner wouldn't want this. Wear an Argo hat or jersey - well something special for you.

I always said they should have a women's day/girls day - during Breast Cancer awareness month, would work I think and its the right thing to do - a kids day - look under your seat kids, one of you have won? A school day - same thing, Canada Day weekend game, Family Day, bobble head day next year with Pin Ball?, plus opening day with something special, 2 TC games next yr plus the yearly exhibition game before Sept. SRR. Sports day with the local school teams? A QB contest with the local schools - Use some of the donation money to local teams and draw a team or league for equipment giveaways etc. League wide then I am sure sponsors will be there to help. - work with York and U of T football teams - Argo tickets get into one of these games? One of their tickets gets you into the Argo game with an adult admission . During a break in the action introduce the local sports teams by having them stand - too many teams? good problem

Promote a weekend in TO for our US football viewers - an annual event- to all the boarder states advertise on ESPN - watch your NCAA stars play professional football in TO in the summer. 2 nights @ $125/night plus 2 tickets to the Argos $250 US, discounts to Boston Pizza or who ever wants to play ball. I am sure that might attract some. During the Ex? where your ticket also gets you in for free? How many NCAA schools/towns/cities are bordering Ontario. PA, Oh, NY? Wear your NCAA school colours/colors for ? register you team at the gate and be recognized on the Jumbo screen.

They can also continue with the cooperation of the TiCats every year don't know what can be done there but it seems like a opportunity to be explored/exploited. A season ticket gets you a ticket in the other park for one of the games between the 2 teams? Also with the Al's and RB's

EE with the largest 50/50 ever with the largest attendance. need to be looked at on how this can work for every team. Official car or truck of the CFL drawn at the GC for one of the season ticket holders of the league? Again sponsored - player of the game wins an official car or truck of the CFL during GC game? Every ball park displays the car or truck that will be drawn during GC? everyone benefits - league - teams - TSN- car company - and the person winning.

Season tickets holders can also be placed into a draw for 4 GC tickets plus flight plus hotel. Sponsored event or "many sponsors" to be drawn at one of the games? every CFL team should do this. A little incentive for purchasing season tickets. 4 tickets 4 chances
    A lot of good ideas in this post!

However, I definitely do not see a need for Jason to get a wife and kids.