Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I only want Ray to start if his shoulder is 100%. Any soreness, any indication that there is a slight injury and I would sit him the next game. You know that with all the various reports out there in the media and seeing Ray go out the last game, teams are going to be 'gunning' for him. Even if the hits are clean, there is still a football mentality, hit the weakest spot. The last thing that the Argos need to do is expose a slightly injured Ray to additional hits that lead to a major season ending injury. Slight injuries turn into major ones in the blink of an eye. Unless he is 100%, I say rest him this game (allow him time to heal to 100%), give Fajardo the start and then go back to Ray when he is 100% and can take the hits again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    Now if RR should start, I think it will be a mistake to still not give Cody Reps at this point in event RR takes another hit on same shoulder.
    Not only that, but Cody needs to learn the position, and to do that effectively, some number of daily reps are likely needed. I was very surprised to hear that Ricky gets ALL the reps in practice. I know practice time is limited and the number of reps is not as high as coaches would like, but to me it does not make sense to not get the No. 2 some reps.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I wonder if Montreal might be thinking about trying to hit him on shoulder? Thats the way we used to do things, dont we still?
    Kyries Hebert and Chip Cox are the dirtiest players in the CFL IMO.

Count on them targeting that shoulder if Ray plays.

Boatman
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    100% agree with your opinion of those two players,
    and what Montreal's strategy will be. They are a blitz-happy D.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Practice is closed to the public (meaning fans and media). Is Ray's health worse than it is and the is team just playing mind games with the Alouettes, so their defence doesn't know who is starting?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Now may be the time to call the Esks and try to pry James Franklin with a multi player deal.
    Especially since he will be a FA at year end and they will get nothing for him.
    They don't care about getting nothing if he leaves. They care about keeping the only other QB on their roster who can fill in for an injured Reilly on a team with serious Grey Cup aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Practice is closed to the public (meaning fans and media). Is Ray's health worse than it is and the is team just playing mind games with the Alouettes, so their defence doesn't know who is starting?
    Probably some mind games, though I'm sure the Als are planning as if Ray will start.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Why do I get the feeling that Ray is injured, but wants to play through it like in 2014 ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that Ray is injured, but wants to play through it like in 2014 ?
    because negativity reigns supreme?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    When Ray was East MOP.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Not only that, but Cody needs to learn the position, and to do that effectively, some number of daily reps are likely needed. I was very surprised to hear that Ricky gets ALL the reps in practice. I know practice time is limited and the number of reps is not as high as coaches would like, but to me it does not make sense to not get the No. 2 some reps.
    I am not surprised by any of this. Trestman did the same in Montreal where Calvillo got all of the reps. I would have been very surprised if the backups were getting any reps.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    According to Zicarelli, Mathews got the most reps in practice yesterday, and he and Fajardo will likely split reps this week if RR can't take them.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Banned
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    According to Zicarelli, Mathews got the most reps in practice yesterday, and he and Fajardo will likely split reps this week if RR can't take them.
    I dont like the sound of that, could be misinformation that they want out, closed practice was Z allowed in? who told him this??. This would be very unfair to Cody if true at all. On the other hand maybe Mathews got reps and Cody also and Cody still starts if RR cant go.

Mind You Z took issue with a competitors report that Cody would be the backup behind RR going into season, so perhaps he has some issues, also ripped his competitor as being unfit to be covering Argos...something like that

ANYWAY HERE IS THE GIST FROM Z

A decision, it seems, isn’t going to made quickly, meaning Trestman will use both Mathews and Cody Fajardo, who replaced Ray against the Stamps, during practice.
    Mathews has been the odd-man out recently with the team electing to dress rookie quarterback Dakota Prukop on special teams, no less.
    Trestman pointed out how Prukop played linebacker in high school before turning to the quarterback position.
    He’s also a great athlete.
    “We want to use every guy we have and he’s (Prukop) become a positive factor for us on special teams,’’ said Trestman.
    Last season, then head coach Scott Milanovich used Fajardo as an upback on punt coverage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Or maybe Mathews is deemed more ready to start at this time. Clearly Fajardo is a more viable long-term QB than Mathews, but the latter has more game experience in this league. And there's something to be said for not throwing a guy in too early and ruining him (which may have happened last year to Kilgore).

"Fairness" should never come into it -- you go with whomever you feel gives you the best chance to win. In 2013 Harris was the identified No. 2 behind RR, but Milanovich surprised us all by going with Collaros. Worked out fairly well for all concerned.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Clearly Fajardo is a more viable long-term QB than Mathews.
    Considering they are both 25 year old (Matthews is about 7 months older), there really is nothing clear about that. I personally like Fajardo more, but there is nothing clear to base that on other than he is fully Argos developed player.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    All we have our opinions, mine is that it should be Cody, I understand you like him also. I thought he Cody played very well last week, so did a number of pundits, Jeff from 1050 TSN liked him, 6 of 11 for 75 yards no ints,55 yards rushing, lead team to 2 fg`s and ran in TD himself, hit green for a long bomb and should have been a second, so I say best for team is Cody starting, I think he will, sends unfair message as well to basically demote the backup that won the job in camp, and it would be demotion without any merit, we can agree to disagree on that

It may be just so Montreal has to prepare for both, and thats all this is? NOT to mention that Cody has been perfect almost as short yardage guy and great FG holder

Or maybe Mathews is deemed more ready to start at this time. Clearly Fajardo is a more viable long-term QB than Mathews, but the latter has more game experience in this league. And there's something to be said for not throwing a guy in too early and ruining him (which may have happened last year to Kilgore).

"Fairness" should never come into it -- you go with whomever you feel gives you the best chance to win. In 2013 Harris was the identified No. 2 behind RR, but Milanovich surprised us all by going with Collaros. Worked out fairly well for all concerned.
    Last edited by Shirley; 08-08-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    All we have our opinions, mine is that it should be Cody, I understand you like him also. I thought he Cody played very well last week, so did a number of pundits, Jeff from 1050 TSN liked him, 6 of 11 for 75 yards no ints,55 yards rushing, lead team to 2 fg`s and ran in TD himself, hit green for a long bomb and should have been a second, so I say best for team is Cody starting, I think he will, sends unfair message as well to basically demote the backup that won the job in camp, and it would be demotion without any merit, we can agree to disagree on that

It may be just so Montreal has to prepare for both, and thats all this is? NOT to mention that Cody has been perfect almost as short yardage guy and great FG holder
    Fess up. What's with the love affair here? Neither one has really established themselves in the league yet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Did he win the backup job in camp, or did he win the short-yardage job? We don't actually know, do we? We DO know he is the short-yardage guy (and the placement holder) so he was pretty well guaranteed to dress whether he was No. 2 or No. 3. They dressed Mathews for a couple of games, then apparently decided Prukop can provide some extra value on kick coverage. (And possibly some other team tried to scoop Prukop off the PR.) That doesn't necessarily mean Prukop is now No. 3 and Mathews is No. 4, and the fact Fajardo entered the game when Ray was hurt doesn't necessarily means Fajardo is ahead of Mathews on the depth chart. All it means is that Fajardo is ahead of Prukop on the depth chart, which is no surprise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Considering they are both 25 year old (Matthews is about 7 months older), there really is nothing clear about that. I personally like Fajardo more, but there is nothing clear to base that on other than he is fully Argos developed player.
    That's fair enough. I was not very impressed with what little I saw of Mathews with Hamilton, but you are right: at this point neither guy has clearly established himself as a future QB. I really like Fajardo's potential, less enamoured with Mathews, but would love to have either of them develop into a starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's fair enough. I was not very impressed with what little I saw of Mathews with Hamilton, but you are right: at this point neither guy has clearly established himself as a future QB. I really like Fajardo's potential, less enamoured with Mathews, but would love to have either of them develop into a starter.
    I'm in agreement here. I like what I've seen from Fajardo. Always an added bonus for a young QB to be able to make plays with his feet. Having said that, when Matthews started for the Ti-Cats in '15, he had some very good moments, but also some pretty bad ones. He has a gun for an arm. Just needs to make decisions quicker.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I believe Cody is the backup and that he will start against Montreal unless it is RR

Did he win the backup job in camp, or did he win the short-yardage job? We don't actually know, do we? We DO know he is the short-yardage guy (and the placement holder) so he was pretty well guaranteed to dress whether he was No. 2 or No. 3. They dressed Mathews for a couple of games, then apparently decided Prukop can provide some extra value on kick coverage. (And possibly some other team tried to scoop Prukop off the PR.) That doesn't necessarily mean Prukop is now No. 3 and Mathews is No. 4, and the fact Fajardo entered the game when Ray was hurt doesn't necessarily means Fajardo is ahead of Mathews on the depth chart. All it means is that Fajardo is ahead of Prukop on the depth chart, which is no surprise.