Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Time To Protect CFL Quarterbacks

The latest casualty, R. Ray, had reminded me that each and every season the key stars in the CFL - the QBs - are injured, often by blindside hits.

It's bad enough that Ray will very likely be in recovery (or not) for at least a month or (more likely) two; however, it wouldn't be terribly surprising if Ray's season is over... or worse.

It really is time to change the rules to actually protect the QBs.

I suggest essentially no hitting allowed, rather "in the grasp" causing the play to end.

The effect is the same, only the trauma to the quarterbacks and to the league is removed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo View Post
    The latest casualty, R. Ray, had reminded me that each and every season the key stars in the CFL - the QBs - are injured, often by blindside hits.

It's bad enough that Ray will very likely be in recovery (or not) for at least a month or (more likely) two; however, it wouldn't be terribly surprising if Ray's season is over... or worse.

I suggest essentially no hitting allowed, rather "in the grasp" causing the play to end.

The effect is the same, only the trauma to the quarterbacks and to the league is removed.

Totally, vehemently disagree; it's not touch football. Football is a tough, hard hitting sport. But hey - maybe the NHL should start using sponge rubber pucks to prevent goalies from getting injured ?

And the great hey-days of CFL football saw much more punishment to QBs possible (as opposed to the sissy can barely touch the QB rules of today) but QBs like Russ Jackson and Ronnie Lancaster played for years & years without getting injured every 3rd game - maybe because they played in much smarter & more diverse offences where they had a run game for balance and big fullbacks and tight ends around to help. I don\t recall great scrambling or running QBs like Tracy Ham or Doug Flutie getting injured very often. But put a not so mobile QB like Ricky Ray back there and the obvious pass only offence with the QB sitting in the pocket too long trying to make reads and defences just teeing off on pass rush = you are asking for trouble and to get some QBs hurt.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Totally, vehemently disagree; it's not touch football. Football is a tough, hard hitting sport. But hey - maybe the NHL should start using sponge rubber pucks to prevent goalies from getting injured ?

And the great hey-days of CFL football saw much more punishment to QBs possible (as opposed to the sissy can barely touch the QB rules of today) but QBs like Russ Jackson and Ronnie Lancaster played for years & years without getting injured every 3rd game - maybe because they played in much smarter & more diverse offences where they had a run game for balance and big fullbacks and tight ends around to help. I don\t recall great scrambling or running QBs like Tracy Ham or Doug Flutie getting injured very often. But put a not so mobile QB like Ricky Ray back there and the obvious pass only offence with the QB sitting in the pocket too long trying to make reads and defences just teeing off on pass rush = you are asking for trouble and to get some QBs hurt.
    I think you hit the nail on the head OV, little to no threat with the running game, (mediocre O-Line), pass happy offence coupled with Ray's limited mobility could (and did) lead to trouble.
    On this particular play Ray held on to the ball for quite a while before being hit which is on him not the O-Line, I also think the oppositions DC's have started to adjust to the Argo tendencies so the receivers aren't getting open as quickly as they were earlier in the season forcing Ray to hang onto the ball longer.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

Yes, football is a tough, hard-hitting sport. Apparently too tough and too hard-hitting, cf. brain trauma in almost every skull. It is already becoming apparent that football won't survive as currently played, unless every player signs a waiver and everyone else is content with reversion to ancient Roman times, and to hell with the gladiators, er, I mean players.

That particular players may run the gauntlet and emerge apparently unscathed - although we haven't seen their brain scans - is cold comfort for everyone else. Flutie, by the way, eventually took a huge hit and was never the same player afterward.

Yes, and how about hockey? That goon and gong show where every talented skater, scorer and playmaker is a target. Another league where the biggest stars are, with alarming frequency, knocked into next week or right out of the game. The very big, very tough Eric Lindros was chewed up and spit out... that says it all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Yes, football is a tough, hard-hitting sport. Apparently too tough and too hard-hitting, cf. brain trauma in almost every skull. It is already becoming apparent that football won't survive as currently played, unless every player signs a waiver and everyone else is content with reversion to ancient Roman times, and to hell with the gladiators, er, I mean players.

That particular players may run the gauntlet and emerge apparently unscathed - although we haven't seen their brain scans - is cold comfort for everyone else. Flutie, by the way, eventually took a huge hit and was never the same player afterward.

Yes, and how about hockey? That goon and gong show where every talented skater, scorer and playmaker is a target. Another league where the biggest stars are, with alarming frequency, knocked into next week or right out of the game. The very big, very tough Eric Lindros was chewed up and spit out... that says it all.

The forward pass was introduced into American football in 1906 because of political pressure after the 1905 season resulted in 18 deaths. Over time, we may face similar rule changes in both football (as well as hockey) that affect not only QBs but all players as evidence of brain damage and early deaths piles up.

1905 had been a bloody year on the gridiron; the Chicago Tribune reported 18 players had been killed and 159 seriously injured that season.[6] There were moves to outlaw the game, but United States President Theodore Roosevelt personally intervened and demanded that the rules of the game be reformed. In a meeting of more than 60 schools in late 1905, the commitment was made to make the game safer. This meeting was the first step toward the establishment of what would become the NCAA and was followed by several sessions to work out "the new rules."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_pass

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level

Something needs to be done to curb the mentality of trying to take the QB out of the game. 15 yard penalty is a joke. The rule has to be changed to allow and instruct Referees to call "an intent to injure" penalty punishable by an game ejection and possible fine. The game as we knew it has changed folks and head trauma research is going to keep putting out bad news. It can be done if the owners have the will. Look how quickly fighting has been taken out of Junior Hockey and it is a way down in the NHL. Ejections and suspensions gets the Coaches attention in a hurry. Look at the play tonight where the Saskatchewan player led with his helmet on Lulay. So he took a 15 yard penalty, big deal. Lulay could have been out long term and that affects the game and a teams ability to sell tickets. Start throwing players out for those type of hits (you can't call it a tackle) and we would see those type of leading with the helmet hits stop in a hurry.
    Last edited by doubleblue; 08-06-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    One of my favourite NFL quarterbacks' life currently... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-from-football

And my favourite QB ever, Joe Montana, described living in constant daily pain as well a couple of years ago (don't have a link for that unfortunately).

These are just QBs. I wonder what life is like for linemen and linebackers who are now retired.

Personally, I don't see North American football being sustainable in the long term as more evidence of CTE and other long term maladies is presented.
    Which parents are going to register their child to play football down the road, knowing the risks which we now know.
    Conceivably, registering a child for football could, in the extreme, be viewed as irresponsible or child abuse.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The last thing pro football needs is to become touch or flag football. The CFL has already done more than enough (maybe even to far now) to protect QB's. Ray got injured because he held onto the ball to long - Injuries happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    The last thing pro football needs is to become touch or flag football. The CFL has already done more than enough (maybe even to far now) to protect QB's. Ray got injured because he held onto the ball to long - Injuries happen.
    Agreed.

Too much alcohol also causes brain damage. Maybe alcohol should be banned. (Of course I would have no problem with that)

It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    One of my favourite NFL quarterbacks' life currently... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-from-football

And my favourite QB ever, Joe Montana, described living in constant daily pain as well a couple of years ago (don't have a link for that unfortunately).

These are just QBs. I wonder what life is like for linemen and linebackers who are now retired.

Personally, I don't see North American football being sustainable in the long term as more evidence of CTE and other long term maladies is presented.
    Which parents are going to register their child to play football down the road, knowing the risks which we now know.
    Conceivably, registering a child for football could, in the extreme, be viewed as irresponsible or child abuse.
    In the distant future, a possibility in this country, but not in the USA. The higher class families enrollment numbers may drop, but mid or particularly lower class families will not stop enrolling in football, ever. Over 1 million players played highschool last year making it the nations #1 sport. Cracking an NFL roster is a minimum $450 000 salary. Long term injuries, brain damage, even death - these risks do not matter when your chasing the dream (reward).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have said before and I'll say again, if football doesn't eliminate the things that cause brain damage, it will eventually be forced to die by courts or governments. I believe we are headed towards flag football replacing tackle football, and I think I would be fine with that. We will lose important aspects of what we have now, but so be it.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    QBs have never been more protected in the game of football than right now. Ray got hurt on a legal hit.

If the goal is to eliminate that kind of hit, then the endgame is touch/flag football, whether for every player or just QBs. Something like that may happen anyway because of concussions, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for hockey goons, they've mostly been eliminated because they can't keep up with the pace of today's game. Head shots like the ones on Lindros and Kariya were also legal back then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    The North American game evolved from English Rugby. What changed is when the hard plastic helmets replaced the leather ones. Players started being Coached to lead with their helmet and the Rugby tackle was almost a thing of the past. I don't believe we have to go back to leather helmets just yet, but banning leading with the helmet would be a step in the right direction. IMO.
    Just saw an article today on NFL and CFL players who donated their brains for research and it wasn't pretty. Something like 97% showed signs of trauma.

As for hockey goons. They never could keep up with the pace of the game. But replacing them with players who can actually skate has speeded up the game on all four lines.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    The North American game evolved from English Rugby. What changed is when the hard plastic helmets replaced the leather ones. Players started being Coached to lead with their helmet and the Rugby tackle was almost a thing of the past. I don't believe we have to go back to leather helmets just yet, but banning leading with the helmet would be a step in the right direction. IMO.
    Just saw an article today on NFL and CFL players who donated their brains for research and it wasn't pretty. Something like 97% showed signs of trauma.

As for hockey goons. They never could keep up with the pace of the game. But replacing them with players who can actually skate has speeded up the game on all four lines.
    While I agree that the brain trauma rate is extremely concerning and hockey goons have been a major contributor to such injuries in the NHL, fatal injuries started in football before the introduction of the plastic helmet in 1939 (see chart https://media.timetoast.com/timelines/95208).

The forward pass was introduced in 1906 because of the high rate of injury and death the previous season.

By 1905, college football was all the rage, attracting tens of thousands of fans to games at a time when major-league baseball teams often attracted only 3,000—and pro football was still more than a decade away. But it was also an increasingly violent and deadly passion. There were 18 fatalities nationwide that year, including three college players (the rest were high-school athletes), and President Theodore Roosevelt, whose son was on the freshmen team at Harvard University, made it clear he wanted reforms amid calls by some to abolish the college game. In a commencement address at the school earlier in the year, Roosevelt alluded to the increasingly violent nature of football saying, “Brutality in playing a game should awaken the heartiest and most plainly shown contempt for the player guilty of it.”

So in December representatives of 62 schools met in New York to change the rules and make the game safer. They made a number of changes, including banning the “flying wedge,” a mass formation that often caused serious injury, created the neutral zone between offense and defense and required teams to move 10 yards, not 5, in three downs.
    Their biggest change was to make the forward pass legal, beginning the transformation of football into the modern game.
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...pass-78015237/