Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Must admit to some disappointment that Fajardo isn't starting. It has been a while since we had a mobile/running QB; would be nice for a change.

However, the coaches have a far better handle on this issue than me, so will accept that they probably know best.

I trust, that if Matthews is not able to move the team, they won't wait too long before putting Fajardo in. The main thing, is to get at least a split in these next two games---a sweep would be great but perhaps a little too unreasonable to expect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
    Absolutely agree with the analysis about Fajardo. Moves to the run too quickly if his first target is covered. He seems to need more time to develop. I believe this is the reason he is not starting this week.
    However, I disagree on Matthews. I have not seen anything from him to indicate he is a starter, or even a serviceable backup tbh. And throwing in another immobile QB behind a weak offensive line seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Where is Dan LeFevour right now? I would be happy to see him start Friday night actually.
    Dan Lefevour is in Winnipeg.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    So you must be very displeased with Matthews as the starter? LeFevour has a better arm than Matthews IMO - hands down / no contest.
    You are dead wrong here. Not even close. Lefevour had the weakest arm in the league, and Matthews has a very strong arm. I guess you're just out to lunch when you can't give someone a list of CIS accolades, despite never seeing most of the guys play.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I disagree that LeFevour has a better arm over Matthews, but in either case, neither are very good IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    I disagree that LeFevour has a better arm over Matthews, but in either case, neither are very good IMO.
    Might turn out to be true, but Lefevour has also had a lot more opportunities. As I mentioned, Matthews has had some moments when he has looked quite good, and he's only 25.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    You are dead wrong here. Not even close. Lefevour had the weakest arm in the league, and Matthews has a very strong arm. I guess you're just out to lunch when you can't give someone a list of CIS accolades, despite never seeing most of the guys play.

So, are you talking about some sort of QB measureable here? Can they time how much velocity the guy gets on the ball?; or release timing once the throwing motion starts - something along those lines? Cause by "arm" here, I'm talking ability of a QB to complete passes, but you might not be able to grasp that unless one of your expert buddies told you so - get lost pal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    So, are you talking about some sort of QB measureable here? Can they time how much velocity the guy gets on the ball?; or release timing once the throwing motion starts - something along those lines? Cause by "arm" here, I'm talking ability of a QB to complete passes, but you might not be able to grasp that unless one of your expert buddies told you so - get lost pal.
    We were all obviously talking about arm strength, and anyone that has watched them both play knows it isn't even close in that regard. Their career passing numbers are quite similar in terms of completion percentage and TD/INT ratio, with Matthews averaging more yards per completion and attempt. Add to the fact that he's almost 5 years younger than Lefevour, and I think that's tells you who you would rather take a chance on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sorry, but have you seen LeFevour throw from the pocket ? Zero accuracy and arm strength.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    So you must be very displeased with Matthews as the starter? LeFevour has a better arm than Matthews IMO - hands down / no contest.

Matthews was brought to the CFL by his US college boy buddy/coach Kenty - doubt he gets even a try-out with any other CFL team except for Kenty; maybe QB guru Trestman can make something out of Matthews - put up some pretty decent stats in an Argo ex. game - is that a good thing or it can it be dismissed as meaningless to suit an agenda ?

You should contact our old Argo Mike O'Shea and let him know that LeFevour "can't throw" and it's insane to have that guy on the Bummers roster as a back-up or 2nd stringer; you do want to help an ex-Argo great, don't you (unless it was to help in playing against the Argos) ?
    This is exactly what I don't understand. Got to call you out on this on OV. No one is saying Mathews is going to put on a 400 yard show tomorrow. Your shitting on a player for the sake of shitting on him, maybe because you don't like him personally, what else could be the reason? Mathews arm is better than LeFevour, come on, your not going to win many arguments for the opposite. Lots of players (many former Argos), employees in all businesses, get a shot because of someone they know, so what, deal with it. It's what you make of your chance that counts. As stated, Mathews has done well in an Argo uni, would you prefer he performed poorly? Seems he can't win in your eyes. Let's see him struggle before we are too critical. Lots of hate and he hasn't even taken the field yet.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 08-10-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level

(details)

Edwards is back, Paden takes Williams' starting spot, Alford is brought off the PR to play field corner and Ford is demoted, Sears is still "injured", and both Cash and Gaydosh are added to the 44 (is Gaydosh even healthy?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Not crazy about Paden starting over Williams. Gaydosh I believe is healthy. Hope Cash gets some good snaps against a beat up Montreal O Line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    After listening to Coach Trestman in this interview, I am 100% confident in his choices for the game tomorrow.
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2017/08/10/...-start-week-8/
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It does not matter which of the two starts tomorrow as we are a definite underdog without Ray playing and like he started the year house on fire.
    It makes sense as the coach will apparently use both QB's, here is hoping as each has a different style and that alone can throw off the Als defense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It is even more important to develop a running game, with Whitaker and Wilder, the latter has been a disappointment so far even with the limited touches.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    This is exactly what I don't understand. Got to call you out on this on OV. No one is saying Mathews is going to put on a 400 yard show tomorrow. Your shitting on a player for the sake of shitting on him, maybe because you don't like him personally, what else could be the reason? Mathews arm is better than LeFevour, come on, your not going to win many arguments for the opposite. Lots of players (many former Argos), employees in all businesses, get a shot because of someone they know, so what, deal with it. It's what you make of your chance that counts. As stated, Mathews has done well in an Argo uni, would you prefer he performed poorly? Seems he can't win in your eyes. Let's see him struggle before we are too critical. Lots of hate and he hasn't even taken the field yet.

LeFevour & Matthews were both prolific passers in US college ball; but LeFevour threw for more yards in what is easily considered a better level of competition (MAC Conference vs. Ivy League); LeFevour was drafted in the NFL and spent a year on a PR there (i think?); Matthews had a couple of cup of coffee looks in the NFL and never made a roster. And LeFevour has passed for more yards in the CFL than Matthews has. AND - I've seen both play QB in the CFL and LeFevour has the better passing arm - unless it was some sort of debate about how hard or far the QB can throw the ball. But sure - Matthews has the better arm, if that's what you'd like to believe or have been told by some experts.

And I'm not "shi##ing" on Matthews at all - like to see him do well as an Argo QB - he just plain sucked as a Ticat QB; and somebody else here said something along the lines of wish LeFevour could start for the Argos now - and I agree, rather have him here - 10x better than Matthews; that's when our resident big-mouth QB expert had to chime in with LeFevour can't throw and added his usual big-mouth insults to address a poster who hurts his poor little feelings - tough $hite.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    LeFevour & Matthews were both prolific passers in US college ball; but LeFevour threw for more yards in what is easily considered a better level of competition (MAC Conference vs. Ivy League); LeFevour was drafted in the NFL and spent a year on a PR there (i think?); Matthews had a couple of cup of coffee looks in the NFL and never made a roster. And LeFevour has passed for more yards in the CFL than Matthews has. AND - I've seen both play QB in the CFL and LeFevour has the better passing arm - unless it was some sort of debate about how hard or far the QB can throw the ball. But sure - Matthews has the better arm, if that's what you'd like to believe or have been told by some experts.

And I'm not "shi##ing" on Matthews at all - like to see him do well as an Argo QB - he just plain sucked as a Ticat QB; and somebody else here said something along the lines of wish LeFevour could start for the Argos now - and I agree, rather have him here - 10x better than Matthews; that's when our resident big-mouth QB expert had to chime in with LeFevour can't throw and added his usual big-mouth insults to address a poster who hurts his poor little feelings - tough $hite.

Here is my two cents.
    Lefevour was a good QB, got the shaft his last year with the Argos.
    Comparing the two, he is much better has a greater upside than Matthews who was not signed for a reason by Austin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Can't believe Prukop isn't starting! Obviously my 500 calls to the Argo switchboard didn't work.

I see some logic in starting Mathews. With more experience as a pro, Mathews presumably won't feel as much pressure, and if he's ineffective, Fajardo might be better able to use his running ability against an Als D trying to adjust to a new QB.

Also wouldn't surprise if both play regardless of how the game goes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    Sorry, but have you seen LeFevour throw from the pocket ? Zero accuracy and arm strength.

Ricky Ray has probably the weakest "arm strength" of CFL QBs, but his accuracy & touch is outstanding. Yep, I;ve seen LeFevour play QB and throw the ball - "zero" - OK, whatever.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Well, I'll weigh in on this argument.

Lefevour is a journeyman player. Now on his 10th pro team, it's pretty clear by now that a backup is the best he'll ever be.

Mathews, with his 5th team, appears to be on a similar career trajectory. Only difference is he's four years younger, so he has some time to prove he can develop into something more. We'll see.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Can't believe Prukop isn't starting! Obviously my 500 calls to the Argo switchboard didn't work.
    Heh heh.

Anyway, I doubt that we're desperate to commit to Mathews. If he plays well, great! If he struggles (and maybe even if he doesn't, just to mix things up), Fajardo gets another shot. It sounds like Ray will be back for the next game, so who really cares?