Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Montreal trades Vernon Adams to Riders

Montreal has traded Vernon Adams and a fifth round pick to the Riders for DB Tevaughn Campbell and two third round picks in 2018/2019. It looks like the Als, unlike the Argos last year, didn't give up much to get a QB, although Willy had more of a track record.

On the surface, the Riders picked up the best player in the deal and that’s usually a good sign when assessing trades. Of course, how the deal actually plays out we won’t know for a few years.
    What the Riders are getting in Adams is a quarterback with some CFL experience and still has some term left on his contract. According to 3DownNation’s Justin Dunk, Adams signed a three-year deal after being dealt from B.C. to Montreal last season. That means Chris Jones and company have the rest of this season, mini-camp, training camp and next season to see if Adams can take that step and become a starter in the CFL.
    Having Adams under team control for at least another year is also important because Brandon Bridge is set to become a free agent at season’s end. You never know what might happen in those situations. If Bridge walks, the Riders would more or less be back to square one when it comes to developing their next quarterback, leaving Marquise Williams as the only returning young arm next season.

The deal provides the Riders with some help right now too. Before the trade, there were only three quarterbacks on the team’s roster. So far, the team has been pretty lucky when it comes to injuries as Kevin Glenn has been available to start every week. Odds are pretty good that he’s going to get dinged up at some point and miss time, even if it’s just some practice time. That’s football. Getting a fourth quarterback in before that happens so he has time to gel with his teammates and learn the system was important. The extra arm will also create competition as being third on the depth chart pays much better than the practice roster.
    In Campbell, the Riders gave up a defensive back with some speed but it didn’t look like he was going to crack the starting line up anytime soon. Even though the secondary hasn’t been great, Campbell wasn’t the answer. The third round picks are a tougher pill to swallow, as the Riders still need to bulk up their Canadian depth, but you have to give up something to get something. At least it wasn’t a first rounder.
    There’s no guarantee that Adams will become the quarterback the Riders are looking for but until they find that guy, all they can do is give themselves options.
    http://3downnation.com/2017/08/15/ve...iders-options/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    In the video below, Davis Sanchez argues that Vernon Adams eventually become the number one starter, especially with 38 year old Glenn nearing the end of his career.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/15/sanche...-saskatchewan/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    In the video below, Davis Sanchez argues that Vernon Adams eventually become the number one starter, especially with 38 year old Glenn nearing the end of his career.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/08/15/sanche...-saskatchewan/

Shows that ego-Jones doesn't think much of his #2 guy Brandon Bridge.

IF Bridge shakes free there - wouldn't mind seeing the Argos take a look; serious gun for an arm and a big guy who can run/scramble = lots of potential, plus a GTA guy; if Ray is done after this season (?) then the Argos will need lots of competition to find a successor; Fajardo is a decent maybe; Jeff Matthews is not IMO; Prukop and others may get a look, but Bridge already has significant CFL roster and learning experience.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I agree that Bridge has a strong arm and has shown marked improvement in limited action this year, going 8/11 with 2TD passes. On the other hand, Mathews has shown little despite significantly more game experience. If Biridge is available, he would be worth bringing to Argos TC next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree that Bridge has a strong arm and has shown marked improvement in limited action this year, going 8/11 with 2TD passes. On the other hand, Mathews has shown little despite significantly more game experience. If Biridge is available, he would be worth bringing to Argos TC next year.
    I too would like to see this.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I too would like to see this.
    Add me to this group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Regarding Bridge, I think that he has shown some good tools. However, the Riders appear to be the second team, after the Als, who are questioning his work ethic. Chris Jones was really ticked off with how unprepared Bridge appeared to be on Sunday night when he made a late-game appearance against the Lions.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    So is Drew Willy just one snap away from facing the Argos on Saturday?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Regarding Bridge, I think that he has shown some good tools. However, the Riders appear to be the second team, after the Als, who are questioning his work ethic. Chris Jones was really ticked off with how unprepared Bridge appeared to be on Sunday night when he made a late-game appearance against the Lions.
    I'm not saying that Bridge will mature or develop into a good QB, but I can think of several players whose attitude matured late (Jerome Messam for one) or didn't succeed with their first two teams (the most famous in the CFL being Anthony Calvillo in Las Vegas and Hamilton - please do not email back saying that I think I am comparing him in potential to AC). I just think he'd be worth inviting to TC if available.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not saying that Bridge will mature or develop into a good QB, but I can think of several players whose attitude matured late (Jerome Messam for one) or didn't succeed with their first two teams (the most famous in the CFL being Anthony Calvillo in Las Vegas and Hamilton - please do not email back saying that I think I am comparing him in potential to AC). I just think he'd be worth inviting to TC if available.
    Calvillo's not a great example because he was actually pretty good with both LV and Ham. He even threw for 500 yards in a game against Toronto. IMO he was scapegoated in Ham with a terrible team surrounding him. Lancaster arrived, brought his own QB and they decided to get rid of Calvillo. In hindsight a stupid decision -- McManus won one Cup and got them to a second but was not a big star otherwise, at a time when Calvillo was just getting revved up.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7