Thread: Zac Collaros

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I would hate to see Popp give up three young Canadians out of Waud, Noel, Jones, Campbell and Woodson to name some. None really starters right now but starters of the future. Plus probably a #1 pick. Popp never seems to value the #1 picks as others do. Maybe because the best players get passed over by most teams to take players who will be available the year they're drafted. Collaros has a base salary of 520,000 ? that supposedly is front loaded. Could be he is only owed maybe 300,000 in 2018, which could probably work somehow. But my concern is that Collaros doesn't look like the same QB we saw before his injuries. Maybe Hamilton feels the same way, and would like to unload him to make way for Johnny Football.
    so you would part with any of the nationals not mentioned above!! Cross, Williams, Ralph, Walker, Onyeka, Herdman, Webster etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Personally I think the Argos should sit tight and let things continue to implode in Hamilton and see if Collaros eventually gets released then see what happens if they are still interested (wish they'd have done the same last year).
    Hamilton seems in disarray and I'd be in no hurry to help them out of it, let them continue to pay their new back up QB his hefty salary until they figure it out.

Agreed. Let it come to us. Don't (Willy) force it. Lots of good QB's who have been better (lately) and would come much cheaper in the off season. There is opportunity in the East, but we can't burn the future either. I would be ok with Jones and Waud (with a first) but beyond that .....just wait.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    The trade story was reported by Justin Dunk, not Drew Edwards, and the former's track record so far is mixed at best. I would not make book on this being entirely accurate but I would not be surprised if both the Argos and Riders kicked the tires on Collaros over the past few weeks.

I don't see how a trade could work this year given ZC's salary -- it would not be worth going over the cap, and having both RR and ZC would likely put us in that position. And since his trade value has dropped now that he's benched, and since the Cats would not want him coming back to haunt in the division, I would bet he does not get moved until after the season (if then).
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't see how a trade could work this year given ZC's salary -- it would not be worth going over the cap, and having both RR and ZC would likely put us in that position. And since his trade value has dropped now that he's benched, and since the Cats would not want him coming back to haunt in the division, I would bet he does not get moved until after the season (if then).
    Marshall Ferguson tweeted that Collaros salary this year was heavily front loaded, meaning the cap implications for the rest of the year wouldn't be as bad. Problem with trading for him is that he's under contract for next season, meaning a reported 520k hit on next year's cap. There's a good chance Hamilton releases him at season's end (unless they have a full managerial change). That's when I would go after him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Marshall Ferguson tweeted that Collaros salary this year was heavily front loaded, meaning the cap implications for the rest of the year wouldn't be as bad. Problem with trading for him is that he's under contract for next season, meaning a reported 520k hit on next year's cap. There's a good chance Hamilton releases him at season's end (unless they have a full managerial change). That's when I would go after him.
    I don't know if the cap is based on annual contract value or money actually spent. If the latter, and it was front-loaded, then it might work this year but you'd need to renegotiate next season's deal. I interpreted Ferguson's post as meaning he is getting paid more this year than next year, i.e. it is front-loaded to 2017, not in 2017. Who knows?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    so you would part with any of the nationals not mentioned above!! Cross, Williams, Ralph, Walker, Onyeka, Herdman, Webster etc.
    Cross, Williams and Ralph are starting right now. Onyeka, Walker and Herdman on special teams. I still like Waud, Noel, Campbell and Woodson as potential long term starters. Don't know what's going on with Jones, as he did play a bit last year and didn't look out of place. There is also Woods and Foster who Popp must have thought highly of seeing where he drafted them. That's 13 young Canadians to choose from. So how do you rate these guys. You can't give up starters at this stage of the season IMO. The rumour is 3 Canadians and a high draft pick. Where there is smoke there's fire. The beginning of the end for Collaros in Hamilton IMO might well have been his tirade at Austin which was caught on TV earlier in the year. You don't show up your Coach in public like that and get away with it, I don't care who you are. Put that with his recent record and you have a recipe for moving on. Most players would have been cut immediately but if its your star QB it just takes a while longer to get all the ducks in order to make the move. But IMO Collaros was marked for movement from that time on by the TiCat brass.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Agreed, the sensible approach.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't know if the cap is based on annual contract value or money actually spent. If the latter, and it was front-loaded, then it might work this year but you'd need to renegotiate next season's deal. I interpreted Ferguson's post as meaning he is getting paid more this year than next year, i.e. it is front-loaded to 2017, not in 2017. Who knows?
    I'm guessing he got a big bonus at the end of last season that they may have been able to fit under 2016 Cap. I know the Argos have done this in the past. That way, his 2017 salary would count for far less vs this years cap, than the actual dollar amount.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Collaros backs up Ray for the rest of the season! That would be something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Cross, Williams and Ralph are starting right now. Onyeka, Walker and Herdman on special teams. I still like Waud, Noel, Campbell and Woodson as potential long term starters. Don't know what's going on with Jones, as he did play a bit last year and didn't look out of place. There is also Woods and Foster who Popp must have thought highly of seeing where he drafted them. That's 13 young Canadians to choose from. So how do you rate these guys. You can't give up starters at this stage of the season IMO. The rumour is 3 Canadians and a high draft pick. Where there is smoke there's fire. The beginning of the end for Collaros in Hamilton IMO might well have been his tirade at Austin which was caught on TV earlier in the year. You don't show up your Coach in public like that and get away with it, I don't care who you are. Put that with his recent record and you have a recipe for moving on. Most players would have been cut immediately but if its your star QB it just takes a while longer to get all the ducks in order to make the move. But IMO Collaros was marked for movement from that time on by the TiCat brass.
    The Argos could have been offering 3 Canadians they don't really value that much or who they see as special teamers or back-ups only. Say Brian Jones (Ticats have little for NI receivers), Mason Woods (Ticats have little O-line depth) and maybe Herdman or Onyeka, PLUS the early draft pick.

IF - Ricky Ray is moving on / out to pasture after this season, and the Argos don't really like who they have as potential replacement - then that deal might be pretty good - to get a QB who has been a top QB in the league and is not that old by QB standards. And Collaros would not be getting offered near the big coin he is making now - I think that would be part of the equation too ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Argos could have been offering 3 Canadians they don't really value that much or who they see as special teamers or back-ups only. Say Brian Jones (Ticats have little for NI receivers), Mason Woods (Ticats have little O-line depth) and maybe Herdman or Onyeka, PLUS the early draft pick.

IF - Ricky Ray is moving on / out to pasture after this season, and the Argos don't really like who they have as potential replacement - then that deal might be pretty good - to get a QB who has been a top QB in the league and is not that old by QB standards. And Collaros would not be getting offered near the big coin he is making now - I think that would be part of the equation too ?
    Perhaps these rumours are a true indicator of Popp and Trestman's true evaluation of the Argos young group of QB's?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Perhaps these rumours are a true indicator of Popp and Trestman's true evaluation of the Argos young group of QB's?
    Or perhaps the people a 3DN are reaching, and they really have no idea who if anyone the Argos have offered. At this point, with the Cats apparently moving on from ZC, they would be lucky to have someone take the reported 520k salary he is making.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Or perhaps the people a 3DN are reaching, and they really have no idea who if anyone the Argos have offered. At this point, with the Cats apparently moving on from ZC, they would be lucky to have someone take the reported 520k salary he is making.
    Could be, other GM's would be well advised to sit, wait and let Hamilton continue to pay Collaros.
    Trading for Collaros at this point would be doing Hamilton a huge favour IMO.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Maybe. But you know what Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute". There may another GM out there like Jim Barker and Drew Willy trade. Winnipeg apparently had poor old Jimbo bidding against himself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe. But you know what Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute". There may another GM out there like Jim Barker and Drew Willy trade. Winnipeg apparently had poor old Jimbo bidding against himself.
    I still believe Barker would not have made that trade without pressure from his bosses due to the fact the Argos were hosting the Grey Cup and ticket sales were slow to put it nicely.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    With Hamilton playing better without Collaros, I think he could be had this offseason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    With Hamilton playing better without Collaros, I think he could be had this offseason.
    That'd be good; more likely than not, Collaros' career could be rejuvenated here. In any case, more competition at the most important position.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    I don't think it's "more likely than not" that Collaros would be rejuvenated; that doesn't happen very often. But he would certainly be worth looking at, since our current plan seems to be to hope that Ray stays healthy and continues to play at a high level.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I don't think it's "more likely than not" that Collaros would be rejuvenated; that doesn't happen very often. But he would certainly be worth looking at, since our current plan seems to be to hope that Ray stays healthy and continues to play at a high level.
    Agreed. At this point there's just as much chance that Collaros turns into the next Drew Willy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Simply conjecture on my part, and remember that "more" could be a vanishingly small value. Nevertheless, ZC is still under 30 and has demonstrated real (in fact MOP) ability not so long ago. Both of us - and apparently several teams - agree that he's worth a tryout.