Reply to Thread
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

GAME THREAD: Blue Bombers at Alouettes - August 24, 2017

The Blue Bombers are riding a hot streak right now, but Montreal does play well at home. It'll be interesting to see how the Als respond after getting smacked around by the Argos. I'm still taking Winnipeg to win.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm calling for a Montreal win. Bombers don't seem to benefit from as many questionable calls on the road. I think they may also be looking ahead to their annual home and home with their arch rivals in Regina.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    After getting blown out when facing a first string Argo QB rather than a backup, I don't think the Alouettes are likely going to be able to handle the second highest scoring team that has only one less point than Calgary. LaPolice has the offence humming, resulting in it having the highest net-yards-per-game offence for a Bomber team since 1994.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Close, hard hitting game so far; both teams have shown some good stuff but also some mistakes.

Bummers ain't that good and Als aren't all bad. Close to good parity in the league this year IMO. Outside of the Ticats who look horrid/finished; but we shall see come Labour Day = they could still rally to be in contention in the weak CFL East ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Close, hard hitting game so far; both teams have shown some good stuff but also some mistakes.
    I only got to watch the second half and overtime, but agree with the above statement.
    CFL is really delivering quality, entertaining football this season.
    Great to see!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just before the first Bomber TD, I think the Als got robbed when that pass (to Thorpe?) was ruled incomplete instead of a fumble and Montreal recovery. And that play at the end of regulation by TJ Heath is usually called roughing the passer by today's standards. Would have given the Als an automatic first down with time for another two or three plays.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Bombers are killing it right now, but they also seem to have a lot of dumb luck on their side. Sometimes I really think sometimes O'Shea out thinks himself in regards to the nuances of the Canadian game. On the last play where they took the kickoff and punted it back, there was absolutely zero sense to what they did. Nobody was onside. The returner that took the kickoff, lateralled the ball back to the other returner, making him the last man back. Once he kicked the ball, he was the only Bomber that would be able to recover. Not going to happen.

What in fact resulted was the possibility of Montreal winning the game. If Bede was able to boom his punt back and got any type of roll, Als would have won the game with the rouge. When you clearly think about it, who has the better chance of winning in that situation? The team kicking from their own 10 yard line, or the team kicking it back from around mid field.

Would have loved to see Winnipeg get a no yards on the 2nd kick out rather than Montreal. Would have given Montreal one last play to kick a game winning FG.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Just before the first Bomber TD, I think the Als got robbed when that pass (to Thorpe?) was ruled incomplete instead of a fumble and Montreal recovery. And that play at the end of regulation by TJ Heath is usually called roughing the passer by today's standards. Would have given the Als an automatic first down with time for another two or three plays.
    I agree that it looked like a fumble; but I was watching with the sound down at that point - why did the Als not challenge, and what did the commentators have to say with regards to if it looked like a fumble on the slow-mo replay ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I agree that it looked like a fumble; but I was watching with the sound down at that point - why did the Als not challenge, and what did the commentators have to say with regards to if it looked like a fumble on the slow-mo replay ?
    I try not to remember what anyone says in game called by Rod Black.

Really tough to use a challenge in the first quarter now that teams only have one. It probably wasn't "egregious" enough for the league to overturn it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Bombers are killing it right now, but they also seem to have a lot of dumb luck on their side. Sometimes I really think sometimes O'Shea out thinks himself in regards to the nuances of the Canadian game. On the last play where they took the kickoff and punted it back, there was absolutely zero sense to what they did. Nobody was onside. The returner that took the kickoff, lateralled the ball back to the other returner, making him the last man back. Once he kicked the ball, he was the only Bomber that would be able to recover. Not going to happen.

What in fact resulted was the possibility of Montreal winning the game. If Bede was able to boom his punt back and got any type of roll, Als would have won the game with the rouge. When you clearly think about it, who has the better chance of winning in that situation? The team kicking from their own 10 yard line, or the team kicking it back from around mid field.

Would have loved to see Winnipeg get a no yards on the 2nd kick out rather than Montreal. Would have given Montreal one last play to kick a game winning FG.
    Even the lateral itself was a risky move. If that had gone awry, it may have cost the Bombers the game. I agree that is a team with a horseshoe up their butts.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I agree that is a team with a horseshoe up their butts.
    Once in a while that can take a team a long way.