Reply to Thread
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

This team is 4-7 and needs to get its shit together

The Argos have lost 5 out of their last 6 and now sit 2nd in the l(east) division. It is clear that the defence is much improved, but the offence is still struggling to match that improvement. The OL still remains a significant issue and perhaps as a result of this the running game is anemic. Poor OL play through penalties or protection breakdowns have resulted in inconsistencies.

Special teams was poor tonight, which was a factor in the loss. It too has had its breakdowns this season.

The Argos go into their bye week now, and what is there that can be done about the OL? Can you just find a group that will gel overnight? I do wish they'd try something here because I don't know if it the one thing preventing the Argos from being a better team than they are, but it is a definite factor.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    The Argos have lost 5 out of their last 6 and now sit 2nd in the l(east) division. It is clear that the defence is much improved, but the offence is still struggling to match that improvement. The OL still remains a significant issue and perhaps as a result of this the running game is anemic. Poor OL play through penalties or protection breakdowns have resulted in inconsistencies.

Special teams was poor tonight, which was a factor in the loss. It too has had its breakdowns this season.

The Argos go into their bye week now, and what is there that can be done about the OL? Can you just find a group that will gel overnight? I do wish they'd try something here because I don't know if it the one thing preventing the Argos from being a better team than they are, but it is a definite factor.
    O-Line is a big issue, Holmes either looks like a human turnstile or gets bullrushed into Ray, Deane isn't much better.
    Martese Jackson is not the next big thing on special teams IMO.
    Hajrullahu's kicking has been mediocre this season.
    Wilder hasn't shown anything when given the ball.
    Fuller.....nevermind!!
    Can't complain too much in regards to the D, they have played hard and kept them in most games.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The "D" has been good all year and when fully healthy will tilt more games in their favour. The "O" has been boom and bust all year with a few in the middle. More consistent scoring is needed as well as way fewer penalties (in addition to O-Line and run game improvement). Oh...be more proficient in the red zone.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes, the Argos are now 4 - 7. And 5 of their remaining 8 games are against Western opponents, who are all stronger and in most cases surging. Even if we split the rest of the games, we end up 8 - 11. I am so disappointed after what looked like a promising start to the season. And they thought they had attendance issues before?

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I got to ask, and I realize that they might not be the "be all and end all," but Xavier Fulton and Tony Washington were both available over the last few weeks and I was hoping that the Argos would have taken a look at one of them (maybe they did). It is clear that trotting out the same 5 guys to play OL isn't working.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I got to ask, and I realize that they might not be the "be all and end all," but Xavier Fulton and Tony Washington were both available over the last few weeks and I was hoping that the Argos would have taken a look at one of them (maybe they did). It is clear that trotting out the same 5 guys to play OL isn't working.
    Especially Washington who played well for the Argos in 2012.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level
    I was thinking the same thing about bringing in one of those players. I don't understand how there are no changes made on the offence after being shut out in Calgary. I want more Malcolm Williams, Brian Jones and perhaps Mason Woods gets some action. Heck, maybe during the bye we replace Marcus Brady with Tommy Condell as OC. Doubt we will see Butler and Lemon on the ends together this season.
    This team can't remain static.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about bringing in one of those players. I don't understand how there are no changes made on the offence after being shut out in Calgary. I want more Malcolm Williams, Brian Jones and perhaps Mason Woods gets some action. Heck, maybe during the bye we replace Marcus Brady with Tommy Condell as OC. Doubt we will see Butler and Lemon on the ends together this season.
    This team can't remain static.
    I have been thinking about Marcus Brady too. I tend to blame him to a great extent but I am not sure if that is the case. We get lots of yards and have high completion percentage almost every single game but we do not score enough points. Ray keeps getting hit and hit hard. I don't think this will be fixed over night or even this year. The defence is still impressive considering the late start in the off season, injuries and the patch work secondary. Dumb penalties do not help and just look at our first few drives in the first quarter. Not what they needed. Terrible second down conversion, bad play in the red zone are all problems. Can this be coached out of the current team is the question?
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    O-Line is a big issue, Holmes either looks like a human turnstile or gets bullrushed into Ray, Deane isn't much better.
    Fuller.....nevermind!!
    Can't complain too much in regards to the D, they have played hard and kept them in most games.
    This mostly says it all.

The O-Line is by far and away the biggest issue with the run game a close 2nd. With the team being lousy at the run it lets teams tee off on passing downs. The O-Line is failing at critical times when that happens. When Ray gets some time he kills.

Kicking has been mediocre and failed the team horribly in Hammer. We can look at penalties and all that but I believe the Argos win that game in OT. Special teams lost that game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Fuller.....nevermind!!
    Jackson ran one all the way back for a TD yesterday before the chinzy penalty was called.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    On the bright side at least we're better than Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    And ex-Argo Bruce Campbell is now starting on the suddenly powerhouse ego-Jones Riders; = big deal IMO - none of those OTs are more than average and more like mediocre. Put them on this Argo team with the same old offensive schemes or "thinking" (i.e. Ray is supposed to sit in the pocket with lots of steamboats to look at his "route tree", combined with next to no real ground game or other diversity on offence) - and nothing would change much. Finding very good to outstanding O-linemen is a real challenge. Hampering/exposing average or weak O-linemen with a simpleton offensive game plan should not be such a factor for a supposed offensive genius like Trestman - maybe he needs to look at the offensive coaches working for him first. Maybe Brady should have been $hit-canned out of town with his gob buddy Scotty M.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And ex-Argo Bruce Campbell is now starting on the suddenly powerhouse ego-Jones Riders; = big deal IMO - none of those OTs are more than average and more like mediocre. Put them on this Argo team with the same old offensive schemes or "thinking" (i.e. Ray is supposed to sit in the pocket with lots of steamboats to look at his "route tree", combined with next to no real ground game or other diversity on offence) - and nothing would change much. Finding very good to outstanding O-linemen is a real challenge. Hampering/exposing average or weak O-linemen with a simpleton offensive game plan should not be such a factor for a supposed offensive genius like Trestman - maybe he needs to look at the offensive coaches working for him first. Maybe Brady should have been $hit-canned out of town with his gob buddy Scotty M.
    Someone has suggested it before but if the OL is that bad then the quickest fix would be to bring in an International and play with the ratio in another spot on the roster. Finding a golden boy national for the OL is probably not likely going to occur at least this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Someone has suggested it before but if the OL is that bad then the quickest fix would be to bring in an International and play with the ratio in another spot on the roster. Finding a golden boy national for the OL is probably not likely going to occur at least this year.
    Somebody has suggested trying to bring back Van Roten - at least he knows the CFL game and has some familiarity with some of the current O-line group to play with. Has Popp even reached out there? - not one of his guys ?

There are a ton of NFL cuts O-linemen who MIGHT be able to be signed and maybe one or two of them are great talents who would be a fit for the CFL game and this offence; I just wouldn't assume this is easily done. I guess this brain-trust has little faith in top draft pick Mason Woods at this point; but Holmes and Watman and Deane have all been sub-par at times IMO, so why not give Woods - a massive linemen with significant starting guard experience in Div I ball, a shot? Some coaches like to stick with their vets though and have little faith in young Canadian talent; Ticats draft pick last year - Brandon Revenberg - displaced vet Dyakowski at guard there last season and IMO was an upgrade - he got a shot and pulled thru.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Van Roten made an NFL roster this season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Somebody has suggested trying to bring back Van Roten - at least he knows the CFL game and has some familiarity with some of the current O-line group to play with. Has Popp even reached out there? - not one of his guys ?

There are a ton of NFL cuts O-linemen who MIGHT be able to be signed and maybe one or two of them are great talents who would be a fit for the CFL game and this offence; I just wouldn't assume this is easily done. I guess this brain-trust has little faith in top draft pick Mason Woods at this point; but Holmes and Watman and Deane have all been sub-par at times IMO, so why not give Woods - a massive linemen with significant starting guard experience in Div I ball, a shot? Some coaches like to stick with their vets though and have little faith in young Canadian talent; Ticats draft pick last year - Brandon Revenberg - displaced vet Dyakowski at guard there last season and IMO was an upgrade - he got a shot and pulled thru.
    Michael Ola a tackle who played under Popp in Montreal was recently released by an NFL team. No idea if he has interest in returning up north though. He also started for Trestman in Chicago.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 09-05-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I honestly am not concerned with where the Argos are at the moment, given where this team was back in January. The bye week comes at an opportune time and I suspect we will see a number of injured players on defence return.

I agree that the offensive line has to improve but I am optimistic that somehow, some way, the Argos will improve that o-line. That is the largest issue with this team at the moment. Anyway, we have Edmonton, Montreal and Hamilton coming up after the bye and I would love to see this team string three wins together which, I think, is doable. At a minimum, they need to win two of those games.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I honestly am not concerned with where the Argos are at the moment, given where this team was back in January.
    I think this team wins more games if you take Fuller off of your signature.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Anyway, we have Edmonton, Montreal and Hamilton coming up after the bye and I would love to see this team string three wins together which, I think, is doable. At a minimum, they need to win two of those games.
    I agree it is definitely doable. I think Edmonton is still having injury issues and we can capitalize on that for sure. Hopefully we get most if not all our D line back because without those guys Mike Riley could rip us apart. Worst case scenario is we win 2 out of 3.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It was frustrating to watch in the 1st qtr. Taking penalties on first down by the o line wiping out good plays. The lack of punch early on when they could have put themselves in a lead early. They let a desperate team hang around and then the bad penalty calls at the end did them in. It shouldn't have mattered by then. They have not been building upon early season suçcess. Expect them to beat Montreal and Hamilton but they need to show they can beat a western team.
    GO ARGOS!!!