Thread: Run defence

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Run defence

Now I grant you that the Argos are 2-0 in the last two weeks, but the Argos did allow 105 yards to Sutton last week and 157 yards this week to Gable. It might be something worth keeping an eye on and something for Coach Trestman and Coach Chamblin to address.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post
    Now I grant you that the Argos are 2-0 in the last two weeks, but the Argos did allow 105 yards to Sutton last week and 157 yards this week to Gable. It might be something worth keeping an eye on and something for Coach Trestman and Coach Chamblin to address.
    Argos came into the game as the #2 run defence in the league so I am not overly concerned about it. Off nights will happen.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sutton's yards came at a time when the game was already over, and he is a great back. Last night was against a very desperate team which frankly bullied the Argosmon both lines of scrimmage for most of the game. Let's see what Trent Richardson can do next week. Kevin Glenn is not the threat Mosoli is to get to the outside, so I think the Argos will be alright.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Was Bishop one of the two reserves not dressed last night? Could see him back in there.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Was Bishop one of the two reserves not dressed last night? Could see him back in there.
    I like what Wynn brings to that DT spot though and are the Argos going to take Laing out of the lineup?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I like what Wynn brings to that DT spot though and are the Argos going to take Laing out of the lineup?
    No, not suggesting that Wynn or Laing come out. Only that Bishop is there to rotate in. Laing and Wynn are both very good/ but I saw signs of fatigue during the game with all that chasing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I expected those kind of yards for #32 last night. But I expected it from Wilder (the Double Blue #32)! Ticats had a great D game plan for Wilder and then blitzing Ray. Nice to see in 2017 we have found an offense that adjusts and finds a way to win!

I've been going to Ivor Wynn and Tim Hortons Field since 1972 and they always play so hard against the Argos!
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I expected those kind of yards for #32 last night. But I expected it from Wilder (the Double Blue #32)! Ticats had a great D game plan for Wilder and then blitzing Ray. Nice to see in 2017 we have found an offense that adjusts and finds a way to win!

I've been going to Ivor Wynn and Tim Hortons Field since 1972 and they always play so hard against the Argos!
    While I agree with ArgoRavi that this may have been an off night for the run defence, you have to give the TiCats credit. They had a great game plan and played hard against us, as they always do. Even better that we persevered and came away with a W. Amazing comeback.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    No, Bishop is on the IR. I don't think the team has a desire at this point to dress 2 import tackles.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    No, Bishop is on the IR. I don't think the team has a desire at this point to dress 2 import tackles.
    He was listed on the 46 this week in the depth chart, so I think he's off the IR and was one of the two scratches last night. I would not dress him at this point because there isn't a DI I'd want to take out of the lineup. Last night the DIs were Plummer, Davis, Jackson and McDaniel, as far as I can tell.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    While I agree with ArgoRavi that this may have been an off night for the run defence, you have to give the TiCats credit. They had a great game plan and played hard against us, as they always do. Even better that we persevered and came away with a W. Amazing comeback.
    I agree with you. Sometimes we forget that the other team gets paid to play as well. The Ticats are a much better team today than they were earlier in the season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    No, not suggesting that Wynn or Laing come out. Only that Bishop is there to rotate in. Laing and Wynn are both very good/ but I saw signs of fatigue during the game with all that chasing.

Most CFL teams are going with a lot of rotation with their D-lines - often 3 or even 4 DEs who play (sometimes 3 DEs on the 4 man line in obvious pass play situation), and at least 3 DTs.

Argos/Chamblin do not seem willing to do much of that - maybe they think their D-line is in fantastic shape conditioning wise; I saw a bit of Gaydosh early in the game, but next to nothing of him in the 2nd half (?); and were Plummer & Tuggle alternating as a rush end or were they more lined-up as linebackers ? - hard to tell maybe. Zero faith i guess in back-up NI DEs like Walker or Foster who might get the odd rep to help spell the starting DEs - like Boateng has done so well for the Esks this season.

The Ticats early had an extra bigger, more natural linebacker (Shorthil) in the game on first downs instead of the usual under-sized cover OLB - to help take on Widler and "talk the Argos out of a run game" (pretty easy to do that to any CFL team - stuff the run early and most OCs will abandon it like rat's off a sinking ship). Argos might be wise to use an extra bigger run stopping linebacker in situations early in a game - to stop a run game - and when the run seems to be tried a bit more by some teams later in the season.