Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

Happy about the win, but there's lots of room for improvement. Next week's game is definitely not in the bag. Expect a slugfest.

1. I don't think Ricky had a good game. Moved the ball, but couldn't score. A few noticeable lousy throws, including some where he was bailed out by the receivers (ie Edwards circus one-handed grab) and the overthrow to Green in the end zone. I don't think this type of game will be sufficient next week.

2. Our defense caught a lot of lucky breaks. Durants accuracy was dismal, and in the rare instances of good throws, Mtl receivers were dropping them all over the field. Mitchell's two ints we're a fluke. If Durant and his receivers had even a marginally better night, or had caught one or two lucky breaks, that might've been a close game.

3. Very happy with Wilder and the resurgent run game. I admit, I got frustrated with Wilder earlier in the season. Too much indecision, looking around when he should've just dropped the shoulder and charge. I really like having the capable big man running the ball.

4. I've heard a few sportswriters agonizing over whether AK should start ahead of white once healthy. I thought whites ints we're flukey, so yes: start AK.

5. Darby' s pick six baffles me. Not just that Durant threw a horrible ball, but what was Darby doing in that position? It was like he was charging to make a play on the ball, but he wasn't charging IN FRONT of the receiver to intercept, he was charging BEHIND! If the ball was thrown accurately, what exactly was he planning on doing? Glad he caught it and ran it back, but a very bizarre play, by my estimation.

Very glad the Argos won, and happy I finally got to watch the whole game. Still nervous for next week tho...
    AK plays the corner and White plays halfback.

But, yeah I agree with the general tone of your post that there is much for the Argos to improve on the offensive side of the ball.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

But, yeah I agree with the general tone of your post that there is much for the Argos to improve on the offensive side of the ball.
    White played more corner than HB last night. He and Murray switched very early in the game. White has played field corner throughout his CFL career, so I was a little surprised to see him at half on the depth chart.

As for the offence, they put up 29 points last night. They will win the majority of their games if they do that every game.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Specific positions don't seem to exist in this year's secondary. All of them (including Ball and Vaughan) move all over the field pre- and post-snap. I think Chamblin will go with the best seven healthy players down the stretch, without much regard to whether a guy is nominally a CB, HB or S.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 292
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Specific positions don't seem to exist in this year's secondary. All of them (including Ball and Vaughan) move all over the field pre- and post-snap. I think Chamblin will go with the best seven healthy players down the stretch, without much regard to whether a guy is nominally a CB, HB or S.
    Speaking of Chamblin, I sure hope the Argos don't lose him to a team that has a HC vacancy in the off season. He has done a great job as DC this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sure, this or that could have been better, but in a game where we had a 26-0 lead at the half and were never threatened the rest of the way, for me that's untrue news. I have zero complaints.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Other than Terrence Plummer, I think the Argos came out of the game unscathed. Hope they are healthy for Hamilton so they can get revenge for Labour Day and bury them for good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think that started in TC. Remember the hub bub about Gabriel being moved to the corner. Also keeps the opposition OC's guessing where everybody is going to line up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Alouettes are a tire-fire right now, and don't let the 14 point deficit fool yourself, the game wasn't that close as the Alouettes scored 10 of their points on a short field. Darian Durant is just horrible and what's worse is that their best help for salvation is Drew Willy. That throw that was intercepted by Darby for the touchdown might be one of the worst past attempts I have ever witnessed watching CFL football.

The Argos passing game remains a concern. I don't know if it is Ray or some of the receivers needing to step up. Wilder, of course, had an impact for the second week in a row, and what's great is that in Edmonton his 76-yard TD came after Edmonton had tied the game at 14-14 and tonight's 85-yarder came after the Als had scored a TD + 2 pt convert. The runs are timely and have shifted momentum back to the Argos.
    The Als have become a bad football team in a hurry. Their older stars all seem to have lost a step and Durant looks like he has nerve problems in his shoulder the way he is throwing the ball. Their Canadian content is weak without much depth. I don't see any chance of improvement under Kavis Reed and Joe Mack. I don't believe they can steal Marcel Desjardins back from Ottawa, but they need somebody like that to turn things around. Marcel would be perfect for Montreal, French speaking and has proved he can build a winner.

Boatman
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Loved watching this defence again tonight and Wilder is playing like the player we hoped he would be. Now, turn those 3's into 7's and this team will be able to roll with the top teams in this league.
    turning those 3's into 7's has a lot to do with the play calling ...... just saying. It is not just execution.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I think that started in TC. Remember the hub bub about Gabriel being moved to the corner. Also keeps the opposition OC's guessing where everybody is going to line up.
    It is fun watching the secondary in the seconds before and after snap -- all sorts of movement. Must make it very tough for the offence to figure out where the soft spots are.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by cfl-cis fan View Post
    turning those 3's into 7's has a lot to do with the play calling ...... just saying. It is not just execution.
    One of the threes happened because RR very slightly overthrew Green at the goal line. Nothing wrong with that play call.

I'm with argolio -- there's really nothing to complain about after a blowout win (and despite the score, it was a blowout -- I felt worried for all of the minute or two between Jackson's fumble and Wilder's TD). I'm worried about the passing game being in a slump, but I don't think it is play selection. I think it's combination of RR being dinged up and tired, the o-line being better suited to run blocking, a lack of serious speed at WR and the loss of a very valuable and versatile weapon in Coombs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    This currently is and has been for a long time the best sports product in town. I hope everyone here can find a way to bring a friend or two out to the last two home game. I love this team and league!
    WHAT????

Toronto FC hosted the MLS championship game last season.
    This season they are likely going to win the Supporters Shield for best record in MLS, and until yesterday's loss, they were on track to record the best record in MLS history.

The Argonauts finished dead last in the CFL last year, and this year currently have a sub-.500 record.

How do you rationalize your statement above?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    This currently is and has been for a long time the best sports product in town. I hope everyone here can find a way to bring a friend or two out to the last two home game. I love this team and league!
    Well said Tim!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I love this team and league, too, but it's pretty difficult to make a case that this has been the best sports product in town for a long time. Less than two years ago we were playing in the worst facility imaginable, and last year the team was atrocious. It's now a great product, an entertaining and enjoyable team playing in a wonderful facility, but that is a pretty recent development. The last time such a case could be made was 2012, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    One of the threes happened because RR very slightly overthrew Green at the goal line. Nothing wrong with that play call.

I'm with argolio -- there's really nothing to complain about after a blowout win (and despite the score, it was a blowout -- I felt worried for all of the minute or two between Jackson's fumble and Wilder's TD). I'm worried about the passing game being in a slump, but I don't think it is play selection. I think it's combination of RR being dinged up and tired, the o-line being better suited to run blocking, a lack of serious speed at WR and the loss of a very valuable and versatile weapon in Coombs.

Sanders didn't make much of a difference at wide out on Saturday. I got to wondering if moving Whitacker into Coombs spot thereby getting Wilder and BWhit on the field at the same time, could be an angle. With Plumber hurt and Herdman looking decent in his place, that ratio may be available to them. Or, Ralph played outside in Pre-Season did he not? Williams or Noel are other options there also. Just thinking outside the box. Trying to think of ways in getting the best guys on the field for the push to the playoffs.

The Coach will have to be inventive in the D.Backfield also.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gonzo View Post
    Sanders didn't make much of a difference at wide out on Saturday. I got to wondering if moving Whitacker into Coombs spot thereby getting Wilder and BWhit on the field at the same time, could be an angle. With Plumber hurt and Herdman looking decent in his place, that ratio may be available to them. Or, Ralph played outside in Pre-Season did he not? Williams or Noel are other options there also. Just thinking outside the box. Trying to think of ways in getting the best guys on the field for the push to the playoffs.

The Coach will have to be inventive in the D.Backfield also.
    I posted all day on twitter yesterday the thought of moving Whitaker to Coombs spot and moving Williams or Noel to the Z spot on O. Do great minds think alike here?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I posted all day on twitter yesterday the thought of moving Whitaker to Coombs spot and moving Williams or Noel to the Z spot on O. Do great minds think alike here?
    promise, wasn't plagiarizing (;

reminds one of moving Clemons over to the slot. BWhit is such a smart football player, but how do you deny Wilder time? love to see this with Coombs out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Clearly Wilder has to keep playing, so the only way Whitaker plays is at SB or as a backup replacing McDaniel (which seems unlikely given that McDaniel plays specials). The notion of Whitaker at SB is tantalizing, but what I really want is Coombs back. Anyone have any info on the expected duration of his rehab?

Clearly we could use Williams or Noel at wide-side WR without losing much, if anything, on offence. That spot rarely sees the ball so it would hardly make a difference. But -- and I think this is more important than people realize -- using Noel at WR would likely make it difficult to keep using him as a gunner on kick coverage. He wouldn't have as much energy if he's also running 40 or 50 offensive plays. IMO he's our best player on special teams and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    But -- and I think this is more important than people realize -- using Noel at WR would likely make it difficult to keep using him as a gunner on kick coverage. He wouldn't have as much energy if he's also running 40 or 50 offensive plays. IMO he's our best player on special teams and I wouldn't want to lose that.
    I get that, but also, if he feels he can play at WR in the CFL, not giving him an opportunity to do so may also give him motivation to test FA after this season when his entry level contract is up. I think a smart thing would be to have he and Williams share that spot, so that you can also use him on specials.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think that's a great idea. Whitaker is a good receiver coming out of the back field so why couldn't he be more effective in place of Coombs. Or McDaniel getting some time there with Williams or Ralph in place of Posey or Sanders. I do get a little tired of seeing TD passes going through Posey's hands in the end zone.