Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm absolutely certain we will win in Hamilton. I don't feel this way very often, but I feel it now. We will own the tiebreaker against all three teams, and virtually guarantee a playoff spot, when we win next Saturday.

In addition to being a superb RB, Wilder appears to be a great teammate. After the 85-yard run, on the bench he urged the TSN sideline camera operator to capture images of the o-linemen sitting on the bench.

Interesting stat: In two games Wilder has racked up 475 yards from scrimmage. If he gets 201 next week, he will tie Terry Greer's unworldly 676 in three games back in 1983.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm absolutely certain we will win in Hamilton. I don't feel this way very often, but I feel it now. We will own the tiebreaker against all three teams, and virtually guarantee a playoff spot, when we win next Saturday.

In addition to being a superb RB, Wilder appears to be a great teammate. After the 85-yard run, on the bench he urged the TSN sideline camera operator to capture images of the o-linemen sitting on the bench.

Interesting stat: In two games Wilder has racked up 475 yards from scrimmage. If he gets 201 next week, he will tie Terry Greer's unworldly 676 in three games back in 1983.
    I like your optimism Paul and hope you are correct!
    Wilder does seem like a team first player willing to step aside and share the spotlight, good on him.
    Watch the TSN highlights and look for Trestman's reaction on the sideline, about as animated as you will ever see him.
    I've said it a million times glad Trestman and Popp are together again this time with the Argonauts.
    Fans from other forums regularly take potshots at Argo attendance but I love the noise and atmosphere at BMO, imagine what it will be like when 20,000+ start to show.
    My son and I were talking about how entertaining these games can be!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I like your optimism Paul and hope you are correct!
    Wilder does seem like a team first player willing to step aside and share the spotlight, good on him.
    Watch the TSN highlights and look for Trestman's reaction on the sideline, about as animated as you will ever see him.
    I've said it a million times glad Trestman and Popp are together again this time with the Argonauts.
    Fans from other forums regularly take potshots at Argo attendance but I love the noise and atmosphere at BMO, imagine what it will be like when 20,000+ start to show.
    My son and I were talking about how entertaining these games can be!!
    This currently is and has been for a long time the best sports product in town. I hope everyone here can find a way to bring a friend or two out to the last two home game. I love this team and league!
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    This currently is and has been for a long time the best sports product in town. I hope everyone here can find a way to bring a friend or two out to the last two home game. I love this team and league!
    WHAT????

Toronto FC hosted the MLS championship game last season.
    This season they are likely going to win the Supporters Shield for best record in MLS, and until yesterday's loss, they were on track to record the best record in MLS history.

The Argonauts finished dead last in the CFL last year, and this year currently have a sub-.500 record.

How do you rationalize your statement above?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by PullTogether73 View Post
    WHAT????

Toronto FC hosted the MLS championship game last season.
    This season they are likely going to win the Supporters Shield for best record in MLS, and until yesterday's loss, they were on track to record the best record in MLS history.

The Argonauts finished dead last in the CFL last year, and this year currently have a sub-.500 record.

How do you rationalize your statement above?
    Maybe you need to watch the Simpson's episode on soccer... that says it all.

CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Well said Tim!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Happy about the win, but there's lots of room for improvement. Next week's game is definitely not in the bag. Expect a slugfest.

1. I don't think Ricky had a good game. Moved the ball, but couldn't score. A few noticeable lousy throws, including some where he was bailed out by the receivers (ie Edwards circus one-handed grab) and the overthrow to Green in the end zone. I don't think this type of game will be sufficient next week.

2. Our defense caught a lot of lucky breaks. Durants accuracy was dismal, and in the rare instances of good throws, Mtl receivers were dropping them all over the field. Mitchell's two ints we're a fluke. If Durant and his receivers had even a marginally better night, or had caught one or two lucky breaks, that might've been a close game.

3. Very happy with Wilder and the resurgent run game. I admit, I got frustrated with Wilder earlier in the season. Too much indecision, looking around when he should've just dropped the shoulder and charge. I really like having the capable big man running the ball.

4. I've heard a few sportswriters agonizing over whether AK should start ahead of white once healthy. I thought whites ints we're flukey, so yes: start AK.

5. Darby' s pick six baffles me. Not just that Durant threw a horrible ball, but what was Darby doing in that position? It was like he was charging to make a play on the ball, but he wasn't charging IN FRONT of the receiver to intercept, he was charging BEHIND! If the ball was thrown accurately, what exactly was he planning on doing? Glad he caught it and ran it back, but a very bizarre play, by my estimation.

Very glad the Argos won, and happy I finally got to watch the whole game. Still nervous for next week tho...

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

Happy about the win, but there's lots of room for improvement. Next week's game is definitely not in the bag. Expect a slugfest.

1. I don't think Ricky had a good game. Moved the ball, but couldn't score. A few noticeable lousy throws, including some where he was bailed out by the receivers (ie Edwards circus one-handed grab) and the overthrow to Green in the end zone. I don't think this type of game will be sufficient next week.

2. Our defense caught a lot of lucky breaks. Durants accuracy was dismal, and in the rare instances of good throws, Mtl receivers were dropping them all over the field. Mitchell's two ints we're a fluke. If Durant and his receivers had even a marginally better night, or had caught one or two lucky breaks, that might've been a close game.

3. Very happy with Wilder and the resurgent run game. I admit, I got frustrated with Wilder earlier in the season. Too much indecision, looking around when he should've just dropped the shoulder and charge. I really like having the capable big man running the ball.

4. I've heard a few sportswriters agonizing over whether AK should start ahead of white once healthy. I thought whites ints we're flukey, so yes: start AK.

5. Darby' s pick six baffles me. Not just that Durant threw a horrible ball, but what was Darby doing in that position? It was like he was charging to make a play on the ball, but he wasn't charging IN FRONT of the receiver to intercept, he was charging BEHIND! If the ball was thrown accurately, what exactly was he planning on doing? Glad he caught it and ran it back, but a very bizarre play, by my estimation.

Very glad the Argos won, and happy I finally got to watch the whole game. Still nervous for next week tho...
    AK plays the corner and White plays halfback.

But, yeah I agree with the general tone of your post that there is much for the Argos to improve on the offensive side of the ball.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

But, yeah I agree with the general tone of your post that there is much for the Argos to improve on the offensive side of the ball.
    White played more corner than HB last night. He and Murray switched very early in the game. White has played field corner throughout his CFL career, so I was a little surprised to see him at half on the depth chart.

As for the offence, they put up 29 points last night. They will win the majority of their games if they do that every game.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofans.com View Post

Specific positions don't seem to exist in this year's secondary. All of them (including Ball and Vaughan) move all over the field pre- and post-snap. I think Chamblin will go with the best seven healthy players down the stretch, without much regard to whether a guy is nominally a CB, HB or S.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

The past two games for Wilder were the largest two-game rushing total by an Argonaut in over 50 years. Also, Wilder's 85 yard TD run last night was the longest running play by an Argo since QB Chuck Ealey's 86 yarder back in 1976.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Sure, this or that could have been better, but in a game where we had a 26-0 lead at the half and were never threatened the rest of the way, for me that's untrue news. I have zero complaints.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Other than Terrence Plummer, I think the Argos came out of the game unscathed. Hope they are healthy for Hamilton so they can get revenge for Labour Day and bury them for good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I love this team and league, too, but it's pretty difficult to make a case that this has been the best sports product in town for a long time. Less than two years ago we were playing in the worst facility imaginable, and last year the team was atrocious. It's now a great product, an entertaining and enjoyable team playing in a wonderful facility, but that is a pretty recent development. The last time such a case could be made was 2012, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Clearly Wilder has to keep playing, so the only way Whitaker plays is at SB or as a backup replacing McDaniel (which seems unlikely given that McDaniel plays specials). The notion of Whitaker at SB is tantalizing, but what I really want is Coombs back. Anyone have any info on the expected duration of his rehab?

Clearly we could use Williams or Noel at wide-side WR without losing much, if anything, on offence. That spot rarely sees the ball so it would hardly make a difference. But -- and I think this is more important than people realize -- using Noel at WR would likely make it difficult to keep using him as a gunner on kick coverage. He wouldn't have as much energy if he's also running 40 or 50 offensive plays. IMO he's our best player on special teams and I wouldn't want to lose that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    But -- and I think this is more important than people realize -- using Noel at WR would likely make it difficult to keep using him as a gunner on kick coverage. He wouldn't have as much energy if he's also running 40 or 50 offensive plays. IMO he's our best player on special teams and I wouldn't want to lose that.
    I get that, but also, if he feels he can play at WR in the CFL, not giving him an opportunity to do so may also give him motivation to test FA after this season when his entry level contract is up. I think a smart thing would be to have he and Williams share that spot, so that you can also use him on specials.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    We don't talk TFC on this forum.