Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by timlb01 View Post
    Do we really think that if the prices were cut in half we would fill the stadium? I don't think it is too expensive. Decreasing price points is fine but does this stop people from buying?
    Who said half? And who said fill the stadium? The latter is a goal that's going to take years, IMO. A ticket price cut won't hurt and will probably help to some (at this point unknown) extent, but it's not an all-or-nothing proposition.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Do we really think that if the prices were cut in half we would fill the stadium? I don't think it is too expensive. Decreasing price points is fine but does this stop people from buying?
    Probably not, but I think some are buying $15 tickets and then just moving into the more expensive seats after half-time, which I assume likely annoys some of those who did pay for the more expensive seats. Not that I want it to happen, but I think unfortunately this could lead to a situation with much of the stadium, likely the upper level, being routinely closed off, as happened at the dome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by S.A.C. View Post
    Probably not, but I think some are buying $15 tickets and then just moving into the more expensive seats after half-time, which I assume likely annoys some of those who did pay for the more expensive seats. Not that I want it to happen, but I think unfortunately this could lead to a situation with much of the stadium, likely the upper level, being routinely closed off, as happened at the dome.
    Not nearly enough seats in that stadium to close the upper level. If the Argos have to do that, they are dead.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Interesting article about the recent San Diego Chargers move from 57,000 stadium to LA and now can't sell out a 27,000 seat soccer stadium. Interesting parallels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leighst.../#2b987ba3287d
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I guess, the cost of tickets to an event shouldn't be less than it cost to park your car? I had proposed some Argo ticket pricing on this forum back in 2015 (with some posters claiming they were too low and I was trying to undermine the team.)

55-yd-line: $80
    45-yd-line: $65
    30-yd-line: $50
    20-yd-line: $40
    Goal-line: $30
    Perm. EZ: $25
    Temp. EZ: $19.99 or 2 for $35

Are these prices too low? Perhaps the Argos will want to charge $50 for the endzone and $120 for premium seating? Whatever the market will bear, I guess.

http://www.argofans.com/showthread.p...0142#post70142
    The idea was to pack BMO and generate demand-created price increases. Sometimes the CFL gets too big for it's britches with the high ticket prices in some markets (i.e. B.C./Mont.)...especially when fans know all home games are now televised.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I guess, the cost of tickets to an event shouldn't be less than it cost to park your car? I had proposed some Argo ticket pricing on this forum back in 2015 (with some posters claiming they were too low and I was trying to undermine the team.)

The idea was to pack BMO and generate demand-created price increases. Sometimes the CFL gets too big for it's britches with the high ticket prices in some markets (i.e. B.C./Mont.)...especially when fans know all home games are now televised.
    I think this is a good concept. Similar to what Edmonton Eskimos have - a total of 5 price points, if I am not mistaken. Basically, between the 30 yard lines is top price, then everything else is much less money and more reasonable. Similar to what you are suggesting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post

Sound business approach mixed in with some common sense.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I will be very surprised if there isn't a big-name signing at QB. If such a signing is at all possible we can be certain Larry Tannenbaum is instructing Popp to pursue it. Tannenbaum knows Johnny Manziel would be the talk of the town. I thought Ambrosie's statement about Johnny not being eligible until next season was curious. He wouldn't raise expectations like that if there was no possibility of it happening. I think there may be negotiations taking place as we speak. There's a lot of things Tannenbaum can offer outside the capped salary.

But I'm now thinking what about Colin Kaepernick? Can you imagine how it would turn this town on its ear if he ever signed with the Argonauts? Right now, it would be a way bigger signing than Manziel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I fully expect Manziel to be a Tiger-Cat and Collaros to be an Argonaut in 2018.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I will be very surprised if there isn't a big-name signing at QB. If such a signing is at all possible we can be certain Larry Tannenbaum is instructing Popp to pursue it. Tannenbaum knows Johnny Manziel would be the talk of the town. I thought Ambrosie's statement about Johnny not being eligible until next season was curious. He wouldn't raise expectations like that if there was no possibility of it happening. I think there may be negotiations taking place as we speak. There's a lot of things Tannenbaum can offer outside the capped salary.

But I'm now thinking what about Colin Kaepernick? Can you imagine how it would turn this town on its ear if he ever signed with the Argonauts? Right now, it would be a way bigger signing than Manziel.
    I believe their is zero chance you will see Kaepernick up here. I bet an NFL team signs him in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I fully expect Manziel to be a Tiger-Cat and Collaros to be an Argonaut in 2018.
    I was thinking Montreal for Manziel. All depends how Masoli finishes the year off I guess. I agree ZC will likely be an Argo next year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I believe their is zero chance you will see Kaepernick up here. I bet an NFL team signs him in the near future.

I was thinking Montreal for Manziel. All depends how Masoli finishes the year off I guess. I agree ZC will likely be an Argo next year.
    If Zac is an Argo next year, is Ricky?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If Zac is an Argo next year, is Ricky?
    No. I really think Ricky is going to retire after this season, unless he is open to being a back up. If he's looking at going into coaching, a back up spot would be great. I love Ricky, but Collaros can be a starter for a long time, and I think he was just in a bad place this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    No. I really think Ricky is going to retire after this season, unless he is open to being a back up. If he's looking at going into coaching, a back up spot would be great. I love Ricky, but Collaros can be a starter for a long time, and I think he was just in a bad place this season.
    I agree. Ricky either retires (hopefully as a four-time Grey Cup champion) or accepts a backup role to transition to coaching. It would be fabulous to have him as a backup along with a couple of prospects. As for Manziel, Austin appears to be enamoured with him (described him as having the greatest highlight reel he had ever seen of any QB) so I really believe he's gonna be a Ticat next season. It will be announced a day or two after Grey Cup. Masoli may end up in Montreal or B.C.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think Ray would agree to be a backup here as he wants to get into coaching. Zach would be a good fit back here and even split time with Ray until his confidence is back fully. I don't believe Collaros is Drew Willy.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Signing Collaros is not going to sell any tickets, and you gotta believe Tannenbaum wants to make a big signing that will.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Which NFL owner wants to risk alienating 40% of his fan base by signing him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Which NFL owner wants to risk alienating 40% of his fan base by signing him?
    He may gain 50% more paying customers if he loses the 40%. There are a lot of people boycotting the NFL in the US right now.

Signing Collaros is not going to sell any tickets, and you gotta believe Tannenbaum wants to make a big signing that will.
    I don't think it would have any less impact than signing Manziel would. Rich, I know you are big on NCAA ball, but frankly, I don't think many Torontonians are. I think it would have a negative effect, because many people will see him more as an NFL reject than a Heisman trophy winner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If Manziel or Kap are the key to selling tickets here (and I'm not convinced of that), is there any long-term benefit once they leave? If not, you'd have to keep chasing "name" players, which, by the way, won the Argos nothing in the 70s.

Then there's the issue of how long they'd stick around. If they did well, they'd almost certainly try the NFL a year or two down the line. And if they were tire fires, the Argos could be worse off than before.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Would suit me fine, as I've said before Trestman would do wonders for Collaros.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    If Manziel or Kap are the key to selling tickets here (and I'm not convinced of that), is there any long-term benefit once they leave? If not, you'd have to keep chasing "name" players, which, by the way, won the Argos nothing in the 70s.

Then there's the issue of how long they'd stick around. If they did well, they'd almost certainly try the NFL a year or two down the line. And if they were tire fires, the Argos could be worse off than before.
    I remember only to well all the Argo "saviours" from Tobin Rote to Joe Theismann to Anthony Davis (the first million dollar man in the CFL) to Terry Metcalf (who held the record for most combined yards in an NFL season) to Rocket Ismail to Ricky Williams. If even Doug Flutie at his best could not reverse Argos's attendance problems long term, I have zero expectations that a Kaepernick or Manziel or any other single player will.