Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Upcoming Offseason

There are two home games left plus a playoff game. Given that we are now two seasons into the new management cycle and Argo attendance is worse than when we had an absentee owner should the current management team have a third off season to do whatever they are doing? If not should changes be made now so that the playoff game will get the attention it deserves. I believe an opportunity will be missed with the current regime to take advantage of the team's onfield success and want somebody else to get a chance similar to 2003 when new ownership came in late in the season and created a buzz for 2004 when they won a grey cup. Any constructive thoughts?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    An interesting thread...

First of all, let's not get too ahead of ourselves with the "on-field success" mantra. This team has a sub-.500 record even after winning its last two games.
    The sad state of the eastern division has created a false sense of success. With one more game against an eastern division team and four against western division teams, it remains to be seen how successful is this team.

As for the off-season...
    I expect a significant realignment of ticket prices, as has been discussed and recommended in these forums.
    Your point about lower attendance even from the last years at the dome is well made.
    Perhaps lower prices and fewer price points will help in this regard.
    But my question about this situation is, why did attendance drop off so much AND so rapidly after the first game last year?
    A new (for the Argos) stadium along with tailgating were supposed to address the two primary reasons for poor attendance. Clearly, remedying those factors has not had the desired results.

I believe it is too early to give up on current management. Even coaches/GMs are generally given 5 year mandates to install their plan/culture. A rebuild is in the works. Let's give it a few more years before starting over.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    My guess is that paid attendance has not actually dropped off from the Skydome. I would actually guess that it has increased. The main difference is they are not papering the house anymore. They have made a decision that going forward people will have to "pay" something to get into the building. Yes it might hurt to see only 13 to 15k a game but if that is actually paid butts in the seats we are going into the right direction.

I think this off season they need to reduce ticket prices and get the season seat number back to the 8 to 10k mark and I think they will in fact drop them significantly with fewer price points. Make that south end zone no more then $200 per season ticket and fill the damn thing

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I agree that the attendance being announced now almost certainly reflects tickets actually sold, much different than was the case under the previous regime(s). I also believe ticket prices will be significantly reduced/revamped for next season, with stronger incentives to hold season's tickets. Finally, as frustrated as some of us have been over the apparent lack of progress in the marketplace and some mistakes that were made (and owned up to after) last year, I don't believe it would make any sense to change the exec suite at this stage of the season. It's extremely unlikely that a new CEO could come in and suddenly have a lot more success selling tickets to two or three games, including a potential playoff game. I'm sure the brass are being evaluated by Cope and Tanenbaum, and we may or may not see changes, but if we do, it will not be in the midst of the season.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Achievements:

Level
    In my view this will be the first off season this regime can actually focus on building the business.

2015-16 ownership took over January 1 plus Copeland, Moore and co. started too. They were working on the transition from the CFL office. Not too mention moving into a new stadium and hosting Grey Cup. Way too much on the plate

2016-17 ownership was dealing with the meltown both on and off the field. The Grey Cup fiasco really set this team back....Braley's influence was in effect here too.....the late season ticket launch made clear to me.

Moving forward. Definitely I think lower prices accross the board especially east side and upper bowl both sides. Less pricing options and beefed up perks and with term options like I mentioned last year. Longer the term, better the perks and per seat price.

Re: attendance, as disappointing it is....it's based on scanned tickets so it's very difficult to compare it to Rogers Centre.

I doubt there will be any changes at the upper management level but there will need to he some noticeable progress next year

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Next year Copeland et al will have been managing the team for the third year. Ownership should make it clear that a successful evaluation of their management performance will be based, to the greatest extent, on their ability to improve attendance. The buck stops at the top and so far the "top" has been singularly unsuccessful in addressing the attendance problem.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I really believe that the Argos will greatly reduce the prices on at least half their seats for 2018. I really hope that will result in attendance at least averaging 20k per game.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks for the feedback from those who have responded so far. The handful of responses to this point seem to be okay with the current regime remaining in place for another go round this winter and next season. Somewhat surprised by that given those on this site are regular game attendees and season ticket holders.

For me when I think of the Argonauts I think of some great teams driven by past, present and future hall of fame players, coaches, gms and owners. Those teams motivated to overcome all obstacles, driven to break through all opponents, and fuelled by passion for the game and the team's place in both the league's and the city's history. In short nothing less than excellence and attention to detail was expected of the likes of many who have toiled for the double blue.

I believe the standards of a Doug Flutie, Michael Clemons, Mike O'Shea, Leo Cahill, Bob O'Billovich, Don Matthews, Ricky Ray and Marc Trestman should be in the front office at the highest levels. I don't see it and I have not seen it in this new regime in how they communicate, treat fans, manage, plan and implement. This team is the oldest, most storied professional sports team in North America if not the world. It deserves nothing less than excellence. Now either we have that or we don't. And if you, like me think we don't, than why do we want it and how does that contribute to the ongoing legacy of the Toronto Argonauts and their future in our city?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't think a change at the executive level would be in the team's best interests. What this franchise desperately needs is stability and a sense of calm professionalism. Not knee-jerk panic reaction. Although not a dynamic leader, it seems to me, based on what I have heard and seen that Michael Copeland is a thoughtful person. He has owned up to the organization's failings and seems committed to making things better. I agree with the comments that when this group took over, they had way to many balls in the air, without the required resources to pull it off, which understandably led to one crisis and mistake after another. The team's horrible play on the field didn't help and was reflected in the desperation resulting in among other things, the signing of Drew Willy. Clearlyt, just moving away from the Rogers Centre was not the panacea many people including myself, thought it would be. We need to acknowledge that despite the Argos' long history, they are not a major player in this city's crowded sports and entertainment environment. But that is okay, because we don't need to compete with the Leafs and the Jays and the Raptors. We need to try to build interest in new fans, by highlighting everything that is positive about this team and the league.

As a side note, it was my son's 26th birthday on Saturday, so I used my flex tickets and purchased some others and invited seven of his friends to tailgate and then come to the game. I also invited my brother-in-law. Most were not CFL fans, and a few openly dissed the league and considered it second rate. The interesting thing, without exception, is that they all had a great time. They enjoyed the tailgate and the game afterwards. As one of them said - "I could get into this". My brother-in-law felt that everything about the game day experience was positive and professional. So I think that the Argos are doing the right thing. Reducing prices will help, a strong competitive team, and targetted marketing and we can start to fill those seats. If Ottawa can do it, so can we.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I don't think a change at the executive level would be in the team's best interests. What this franchise desperately needs is stability and a sense of calm professionalism. Not knee-jerk panic reaction. Although not a dynamic leader, it seems to me, based on what I have heard and seen that Michael Copeland is a thoughtful person. He has owned up to the organization's failings and seems committed to making things better. I agree with the comments that when this group took over, they had way to many balls in the air, without the required resources to pull it off, which understandably led to one crisis and mistake after another. The team's horrible play on the field didn't help and was reflected in the desperation resulting in among other things, the signing of Drew Willy. Clearlyt, just moving away from the Rogers Centre was not the panacea many people including myself, thought it would be. We need to acknowledge that despite the Argos' long history, they are not a major player in this city's crowded sports and entertainment environment. But that is okay, because we don't need to compete with the Leafs and the Jays and the Raptors. We need to try to build interest in new fans, by highlighting everything that is positive about this team and the league.

As a side note, it was my son's 26th birthday on Saturday, so I used my flex tickets and purchased some others and invited seven of his friends to tailgate and then come to the game. I also invited my brother-in-law. Most were not CFL fans, and a few openly dissed the league and considered it second rate. The interesting thing, without exception, is that they all had a great time. They enjoyed the tailgate and the game afterwards. As one of them said - "I could get into this". My brother-in-law felt that everything about the game day experience was positive and professional. So I think that the Argos are doing the right thing. Reducing prices will help, a strong competitive team, and targetted marketing and we can start to fill those seats. If Ottawa can do it, so can we.
    Great post. Glad everyone had a great time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Great post. Glad everyone had a great time.
    Thanks. One of the highlights of the day for me was getting our picture taken as a group with the Grey Cup. Everyone admitted that was pretty cool.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I really believe that the Argos will greatly reduce the prices on at least half their seats for 2018. I really hope that will result in attendance at least averaging 20k per game.
    Argos got it backwards, should have started with reasonable pricing levels to build attendance, atmosphere and demand then look at modest increases to build revenue.
    Pricing levels are indeed out to lunch for many seats.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Argos got it backwards, should have started with reasonable pricing levels to build attendance, atmosphere and demand then look at modest increases to build revenue.
    I agree. They obviously erred in thinking the venue change alone would make all the difference.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    But if you look at the pricing of tickets across the league, we are not out of whack. For example, Calgary has tickets from $35 - $120 over 10 price points, BC goes from $25 - $138.50 over 8 etc. I didn't do the whole league but having been to both Ottawa and Montreal to watch games, their ticket prices for comparable seats were in the same range as what you would see at BMO. However, I do agree we have too many price points - Edmonton has only 5, by comparison - and given the difficulty we have had filling the stadium, I agree that the prices have to come down for next season. Better for everyone if by doing so we can put more bums in the seats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    But if you look at the pricing of tickets across the league, we are not out of whack. For example, Calgary has tickets from $35 - $120 over 10 price points, BC goes from $25 - $138.50 over 8 etc. I didn't do the whole league but having been to both Ottawa and Montreal to watch games, their ticket prices for comparable seats were in the same range as what you would see at BMO. However, I do agree we have too many price points - Edmonton has only 5, by comparison - and given the difficulty we have had filling the stadium, I agree that the prices have to come down for next season. Better for everyone if by doing so we can put more bums in the seats.
    Attendance figures indicate that ticket prices are out of whack for an apathetic CFL market like Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I agree. They obviously erred in thinking the venue change alone would make all the difference.
    So did many of us.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    But if you look at the pricing of tickets across the league, we are not out of whack. For example, Calgary has tickets from $35 - $120 over 10 price points, BC goes from $25 - $138.50 over 8 etc. I didn't do the whole league but having been to both Ottawa and Montreal to watch games, their ticket prices for comparable seats were in the same range as what you would see at BMO.
    The Argos aren't trying to sell tickets in those markets, they're trying to sell tickets here. In a market that has more options than all the others, and in an environment where the CFL is perceived as the fourth or fifth option for sporting dollars. The prices have to be pegged to what this market will bear. What they can charge in Ottawa (two teams, Redblacks arguably No. 1) or elsewhere is irrelevant IMO. Arguably the CFL is overpriced in BC and Mtl, the two markets that have at least two other competing teams, and their attendance levels would tend to support that theory.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Awareness of the Toronto market should have been a given for Copeland. Lives here, worked at CFL head office, business education. Myself I can't get over that for year one. But there is no excuse for this year. And why wait until year three? If there is a problem address it now.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Do we really think that if the prices were cut in half we would fill the stadium? I don't think it is too expensive. Decreasing price points is fine but does this stop people from buying?
    CFL alive and well all others can go to Hell!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Awareness of the Toronto market should have been a given for Copeland. Lives here, worked at CFL head office, business education. Myself I can't get over that for year one. But there is no excuse for this year. And why wait until year three? If there is a problem address it now.
    If there is a problem, I'm sure ownership will address it when the time is right. I don't think there's an open-and-shut case that Copeland is a failure despite the slowness of the rebuild. But even if he ownership decides to replace him, as I said above I don't think there's anything to be gained by doing it now. It wouldn't result in more ticket sales this year, it would get the team bad press as it would look as if panic is setting in corporately, and it could disrupt the chemistry that's clearly being developed on the football side.