Thread: Playoffs

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    But Edmonton came off the bye week this week. I guess the advantage BC has over Edmonton is that they didn't recently acquire that human jinx known as John Chick. Ti-Cats went from contenders to 7 wins in 25 games after acquiring Chick, and Edmonton is now 0-3 with him, while the Cats have greatly improved. One key denominator there.
    Are you seriously suggesting John Chick has been a big part of the problem of the losing ways of both the Ticats & the Esks this season? What - he's a poor DE and his weak play allows for opposition offences to do better than if he was not there? Or maybe he's a me first/ego-head type that disrupts team chemistry or screws up the D?

If you're just a believer in sports jinx or superstition stuff, I can get that. But if you're saying John Chick is not a good defensive end anymore, then you've really lost me (and more than usual ;o) ). Chick may not be as good as he was a few years back, but IMO he is still a very good D player with a motor - still gets some decent push (saw him with a knock-down and some pressures just last game vs. the Bummers), and remains one of the best DEs in the league against the run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting John Chick has been a big part of the problem of the losing ways of both the Ticats & the Esks this season? What - he's a poor DE and his weak play allows for opposition offences to do better than if he was not there? Or maybe he's a me first/ego-head type that disrupts team chemistry or screws up the D?

If you're just a believer in sports jinx or superstition stuff, I can get that. But if you're saying John Chick is not a good defensive end anymore, then you've really lost me (and more than usual ;o) ). Chick may not be as good as he was a few years back, but IMO he is still a very good D player with a motor - still gets some decent push (saw him with a knock-down and some pressures just last game vs. the Bummers), and remains one of the best DEs in the league against the run.
    Admittedly, I was being somewhat facetious. However, Chick had been terrible all year. He had a good year last year, but in 2015, he sucked until the last third of the season when the Riders were already dead. He's a prime example of a guy that teams keep because of reputation.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Admittedly, I was being somewhat facetious. However, Chick had been terrible all year. He had a good year last year, but in 2015, he sucked until the last third of the season when the Riders were already dead. He's a prime example of a guy that teams keep because of reputation.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then.

Chick is still a good DE - had a great season last year IMO and has hardly been "terrible" this year - that's total hor$e$hite; I'd take him over Lemon as a DE if i was building a team and wanted a vet DE. I go by what I see on the football field - player doesn't have to be playing for my favorite team to be rated good - i do get that some will defend total stiffs (like Chet Lemon when he played QB for the Argos) - one of their guys.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    It sounds like you have been following Hamilton and Edmonton very closely, OV. Why are Chick's stats so mediocre?

For the record, I think Lemon is significantly better than Chick right now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    No contest between Lemon and Chick. Lemon is still producing at a high level. Chick is quite clearly past his prime IMO.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then.

Chick is still a good DE - had a great season last year IMO and has hardly been "terrible" this year - that's total hor$e$hite; I'd take him over Lemon as a DE if i was building a team and wanted a vet DE. I go by what I see on the football field - player doesn't have to be playing for my favorite team to be rated good - i do get that some will defend total stiffs (like Chet Lemon when he played QB for the Argos) - one of their guys.
    Chick hasn't made a play of significance all year. As I said, he had a good year personally last year, but sucked for the first 2/3 of 2015. He's only around still based on reputation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    No contest between Lemon and Chick. Lemon is still producing at a high level. Chick is quite clearly past his prime IMO.

I'd suggest you might be singing a different tune if Chick were wearing double blue, Ravi.

Chick is no Ken Bishop as far as CFL D-linemen, that's for sure. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'd suggest you might be singing a different tune if Chick were wearing double blue, Ravi.

Bad comparison considering they play different positions. But, I know that you know that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Bad comparison considering they play different positions. But, I know that you know that.

Was talking about play-making period out of the D-line; i see Bishop do precious little (last year & this year) - both Wynn & Finley are way better IMO (and Bishop is not "horrible", he just doesn't make many plays in terms of pass rush or run stop).

And Chick has been used some inside at DT before - has the size/strength and is a very good run stopper. Some teams going to a 3 DE look on the 4 man line at times - makes sense cause CFL D-lines are all about push and pass rush pressure and don't have to worry about consistently tested by a ground game up the middle. Not sure why a 5 man D-line front is not tried (3 bigger linemen inside with 2 quick DEs on the outside) to try to swarm QBs (i think the Esks may have featured that look a couple of times this season ?)

Don
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/02/playof...s-cusp-clinch/

In case you're curious, here is the complete list of scenarios. I didn't realize that Montreal hadn't been mathematically eliminated.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Never understood why some around here were so enamored with Bishop, he done a bunch of nothing in Double Blue IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    While, not trying to change anyone's opinion of Ken Bishop, the stats do seem to show he is a very capable DT. Cash, who was brought in, with much acclaim, in 18 games in 2016 had 25 tackles and 2 QB sacks, whereas Bishop in 16 games had 31 tackles, 3QB sacks and 3 tackles for a loss.
    At 6' and 306 he certainly isn't flashy but is more of a big power DT. Wynn, his replacement, has been experiencing an excellent rookie year and in 11 games so far, has 28 tackles and 6 QB sacks. I'd like to see the team rotate the two to give an entirely different look to the opposition and also to keep our DT's fresh.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Fingers crossed that we'll be able to field Lemon-Wynn-Laing-Butler for the playoffs. Lemon played well without Butler and Butler has played well without Lemon, but together they were scary.

I'm still waiting for OV's report on Chick's performance in Hamilton and Edmonton. I'm sure he wasn't just blowing smoke, and has evidence that Chick has been better than Lemon "on the football field".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Fingers crossed that we'll be able to field Lemon-Wynn-Laing-Butler for the playoffs. Lemon played well without Butler and Butler has played well without Lemon, but together they were scary.

I'm still waiting for OV's report on Chick's performance in Hamilton and Edmonton. I'm sure he wasn't just blowing smoke, and has evidence that Chick has been better than Lemon "on the football field".
    I was going to ask the question. Who does everyone think would be the strongest Defensive Line for the playoffs. I think the Lemon-Wynn-Laing-Butler combination would be the best. What about backups? I thought Findley played really well when Laing was out and could probably take a turn at DE. Gaydosh is a big body in the middle.
    Wynn's stats according Shatto's are better than Bishop's. I haven't seen the stats on this year's run defense compared to last year. But it seems to me this year is better, which could be more because of Ball and Woods more than anything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    While, not trying to change anyone's opinion of Ken Bishop, the stats do seem to show he is a very capable DT. Cash, who was brought in, with much acclaim, in 18 games in 2016 had 25 tackles and 2 QB sacks, whereas Bishop in 16 games had 31 tackles, 3QB sacks and 3 tackles for a loss.
    At 6' and 306 he certainly isn't flashy but is more of a big power DT. Wynn, his replacement, has been experiencing an excellent rookie year and in 11 games so far, has 28 tackles and 6 QB sacks. I'd like to see the team rotate the two to give an entirely different look to the opposition and also to keep our DT's fresh.
    Argos run defence was fantastic in games in which Bishop was the starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well worst case scenario tonight. At least Ottawa & Hamilton have a game against each other and they can't both win that game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Well worst case scenario tonight. At least Ottawa & Hamilton have a game against each other and they can't both win that game.
    I for one was glad to see Ottawa win. It keeps them out of Hamiltons grasp.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I for one was glad to see Ottawa win. It keeps them out of Hamiltons grasp.
    The Ti Cats were impressive in beating Winnipeg. They are playing really good football. Thankfully, it might be just a bit too late for them.

It is very disappointing that we couldn't have won and at least secured home field for divisional game. The Argos never make it easy for themselves.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos run defence was fantastic in games in which Bishop was the starter.
    I noticed Bishop and Wynn took some turns at DE yesterday. Davis hasn't been that noticeable after his first few games. So maybe that would be the way to go. Dress Bishop instead of Davis. He could rotate with Tuggle at DE and Wynn at DT. But we really need Marcus Ball back ASAP. He the main cog in the defensive wheel IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Why was Laing scratched just prior to the game?