National DL Nathan Shepherd, who was on Hamilton's list of ten names on their negotiation list released in February, was also the only Canadian at the NFL Combine in 2018. His performance there led to him being drafted in the third round by the New York Jets. It took him only four months from being drafted to make the starting lineup. He now has a four year contract. The Tiger Cats may never get a chance to sign him. Congratulations to a player who had to leave SFU after one year for financial reasons and take a job before being able to return to college three years later.

The jump from college to the NFL is huge but was monumental for the six-foot-four, 315-pound Shepherd, who played at Fort Hays State, a Division II school in Hays, Kan. After a stellar ’17 campaign – winning the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association top defensive player honour while leading the Tigers (11-0) to their first MIAA title – Shepherd became the first player in school history invited to the Senior Bowl, which showcases players eligible for the NFL draft. ...

“My goal was to help my team in whatever capacity it needed, but the bigger focus was to continue every day to learn how to be a pro,” Shepherd said. “That’s something I continue to strive for and while I’m happy with the progress I’ve made so far, I’m still not satisfied. ...

Shepherd began his collegiate career at Simon Fraser in 2012 as a six-foot-one, 205-pound linebacker. But financial challenges forced him to leave the Burnaby, B.C., school after just one year. He returned to Toronto and entered the workforce until saving enough money to enrol at Fort Hays State for the 2015 season. Shepherd paid for his first semester while playing football as a walk-on.
“It says a lot about the man,” Jets coach Todd Bowles told the Jets’ website. “He’s determined to succeed no matter what he does. He carries himself, he works that way and I can appreciate that. You always hear about the bad stories. Any time somebody has a story like that, along with his play – obviously, his play comes first and then you find out his journey – you can appreciate the man more.”
Playing in the NFL has given Shepherd some financial stability. He signed a four-year, $US3.876-million deal with New York that included a signing bonus exceeding $987,000. ...

Shepherd is typically at the Jets’ training facility between 6:30-7:30 a.m. and remains there until roughly 6:30 p.m. with meetings and practices. And even when he leaves, Shepherd rarely has a night to himself as there’s also recovery, chiropractor appointments and studying film or reviewing gameplans on his iPad.
Shepherd said what many people don’t understand is the level of preparation that goes into the playing of NFL games. “You’re exposed to a lot more detail,” Shepherd said. “As a fan, as a viewer you get to see the finished product on Monday night, Thursday and Sunday.
http://3downnation.com/2018/12/17/ca...new-york-jets/