Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
Pretty well all CFL teams have had to deal with major injury issues this sesaon, and the Esks have been hardest hit.

The Argos #1 healthy units on both offence & defence would make for a pretty solid team, but IMO that is not enough to win and it comes down to coaching smarts more than just talent on the roster.

Ray is still an accurate QB and Green & Edwards are outstanding receivers, but if that is all your offence is based on = not good enough; maybe with Wilder back in the line-up, they would stick to the ground game more, but I'm not convinced of that. Same old, predictable, bread & butter offence (mostly short pass plays to 2 receivers) does not cut it in big games or against good teams - wayyyyyy more diversity needed: balance with a run game, some deep pass plays; different/trick type plays thrown in - like a jet sweep to a fast receiver or Edwards on an option where he can pass or run; more of Declan Cross on screens or swing passes; and all receivers in the 5 pack need to contribute - not sure why Ralph is even in there if Ray and/or the offensive brain-trust have no faith in him - a slotback hardly ever targeted ??? - Coombs was a factor there, so put somebody in who will be targeted. The play-calling just needs to be way smarter and more diverse IMO.

And on D - some good talent there too, but not sure they mix things up enough or take chances with blitzes to get pressure on all-pass offences; most CFL teams feature plenty of rotation on their D-line but Chamblin must think his back-ups are useless or else the starters are supermen - but they seem to be less effective late in games. Gabriel could maybe play some more at OLB cause he is a good hitter who can help against the run that is a problem at times, but he is not a cover corner or D-half; I like Vaughn and that little guy Ford has a nose for the ball in the secondary, and Murray is a smart vet, but it would be nice to see a group play together games in a row and maybe gel as a unit. Not sure i have much faith in Chamblin to come up with smart game plans or in game adjustments when it counts.

Coaching ?
I think it's both coaching and talent.

Defensively I'm still shocked that the defense has played relatively well under Chamblin, but I expect for there to be a drop off next season, and I still think our secondary isn't as strong as most teams in the CFL.

Offensively, is about as expected. We still need to fix our oline (why is Woods not starting ?), and we need more top end type receivers (Green and Edwards are our only two IMO). I do agree that Trestman's offense and play calling is big part of the problem though, that shouldn't be surprising as it's the exact same system that Milanovich ran, the difference is that Trestman is a significantly better coach. In saying that, as much as I respect Trestman as a person and coach, I believe the way he handles the #2-4 QB spots will eventually bit him in the butt. Not developing a QB behind Calvillo is a massive reason as to why the Als have been struggling so much, well that and Popp loading the team with vets, which I hope Popp doesn't do here.