Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Ray's future in................ Edmonton ?

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...monton-eskimos

As most know I wouldn't be opposed to this, but it still leaves us a hole at the backup position, whether Collaros, Franklin or whomever ends up here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...monton-eskimos

As most know I wouldn't be opposed to this, but it still leaves us a hole at the backup position, whether Collaros, Franklin or whomever ends up here.
    I have mixed emotions in regards to this, totally understand Popp and Trestman looking to get younger at that position as it seems there will be no shortage of viable options available this off season.
    However Ray has given the Argonauts and their fans alot to cheer about over the years and above all goes about his business in a modest, classy, respectful way and has represented our team well.
    My hope is that Ray and the Argos find a way to transition him from player to coach here in Toronto.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I have mixed emotions in regards to this, totally understand Popp and Trestman looking to get younger at that position as it seems there will be no shortage of viable options available this off season.
    However Ray has given the Argonauts and their fans alot to cheer about over the years and above all goes about his business in a modest, classy, respectful way and has represented our team well.
    My hope is that Ray and the Argos find a way to transition him from player to coach here in Toronto.
    I'd rather not see Ray stick around as a coach here, as I think the last thing this team needs is another conservative Milanovich type coaching the offence.

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wouldn't put too much stock in the article. Given Ray's age, his thoughts in offseason on whether to retire or not, the crop of QBs becoming available, I don't see a rush in trying to negotiate a new deal, IF the Argos even want him to return. Any negotiation may take place after Argos try in signing a younger QB. Or they simply let him walk or he chooses to retire.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Ricky could sign for 250,000 next year with a hefty bonus added on from this year's cap. All those games spent on the 6 game by different starters add up in cap money saved. Then sign Bridge as back up for a fair base plus bonus money for time played.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Ricky could sign for 250,000 next year with a hefty bonus added on from this year's cap. All those games spent on the 6 game by different starters add up in cap money saved. Then sign Bridge as back up for a fair base plus bonus money for time played.
    Ray's current deal has a base around $250k, but with his age and injury history, that's a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what Trestman and Popp do this off season, will they continue to stick with the old guy and repeat what has happened in Montreal or learn from their mistakes and move on from Ray ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ray's current deal has a base around $250k, but with his age and injury history, that's a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what Trestman and Popp do this off season, will they continue to stick with the old guy and repeat what has happened in Montreal or learn from their mistakes and move on from Ray ?
    Considering he's played this season relatively injury free, should injury history really matter? I've always said injury prone is a BS analogy of anyone. Any player can get hurt at any time. IMO, all injuries are circumstantial.

Personally, I'd love to see Ray stay on as the back up QB. Not because I don't think he can start anymore. He's proven he can and do it well. But more because the longer you go with Ray, the harder it will be to replace him as soon as he does call it a career.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Considering he's played this season relatively injury free, should injury history really matter? I've always said injury prone is a BS analogy of anyone. Any player can get hurt at any time. IMO, all injuries are circumstantial.

Personally, I'd love to see Ray stay on as the back up QB. Not because I don't think he can start anymore. He's proven he can and do it well. But more because the longer you go with Ray, the harder it will be to replace him as soon as he does call it a career.
    Backup QB and mentor could be an ideal way for Ray to transition into coaching.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think it should. Ray has a serious injury history here. The only other season where he started in more than 14 games was 2014, and we know what happened in that season and in 2015. I'd also like to point out that Ray hasn't been the same since he was injured a few weeks ago, it will be interesting to see/hear if he's been playing injured again this season at some point during the off season. I'd rather see the Argos been smart with the cap, seeing as Ray is 37 years old for another week, isn't getting any younger, and has a injury history since donning the double blue.
    As I've stated multiple times, I'd have no issue with this so long as Ray was the permanent backup (never stepped foot on the field unless the starter was injured), but I fear that so long as Ricky is here, Trestman (or Milanovich if he stuck around) would eventually put him back out there as the full time starter. Ottawa figured this out with Harris and Burris (replace the starter before it's too late), and Burris came off a great playoff run, and could probably play at the very least another season, but moving on now ensured that it didn't become too late. Trestman and Popp didn't figure this out before, so hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Not to denigrate in any way Ray's performance this year, as he has performed admirably but age and injuries have further reduced his somewhat limited mobility. In Saturday's game we saw a younger more mobile Reilly outplay him when it mattered most. Ray is still capable of playing brilliant football, as we saw late in the game against Hamilton. However, as others have stated, change at QB must come sooner or later and the danger of waiting too long, might well result in a similar situation that Montreal found itself in after Calvillo retired.

Ray has had a great year and could perhaps hang on another year or two but that could be at the expense of the team developing the next first string QB. Hopefully the team can get first place and then go on to play in the GC. That swan song, would be an excellent time for Ray to retire.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I think it should. Ray has a serious injury history here. The only other season where he started in more than 14 games was 2014, and we know what happened in that season and in 2015. I'd also like to point out that Ray hasn't been the same since he was injured a few weeks ago, it will be interesting to see/hear if he's been playing injured again this season at some point during the off season. I'd rather see the Argos been smart with the cap, seeing as Ray is 37 years old for another week, isn't getting any younger, and has a injury history since donning the double blue.

As I've stated multiple times, I'd have no issue with this so long as Ray was the permanent backup (never stepped foot on the field unless the starter was injured), but I fear that so long as Ricky is here, Trestman (or Milanovich if he stuck around) would eventually put him back out there as the full time starter. Ottawa figured this out with Harris and Burris (replace the starter before it's too late), and Burris came off a great playoff run, and could probably play at the very least another season, but moving on now ensured that it didn't become too late. Trestman and Popp didn't figure this out before, so hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.
    The time is coming to move on from Ray but he has played really well this season.
    Burris retired after the Grey Cup so the decision to move on with Harris was made for them, not the result of any great organizational foresight and wisdom.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Burris retired after the Grey Cup so the decision to move on with Harris was made for them, not the result of any great organizational foresight and wisdom.
    The plan from the day Harris signed with the Redblacks, was for Harris to be the starter in 2017. Which was a big reason Harris left Toronto, as you may recall.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    In Saturday's game we saw a younger more mobile Reilly outplay him when it mattered most.
    Again, where did Reilly outplay him? When it mattered most? They both led their teams to lead changing TD's late in the 4th. They both threw picks on balls tipped by the lineman. Ray averaged more yards per pass attempt than Reilly, and had it not been for a couple of Illegal contact penalties on the final drive (one which negated a holding call on the offence) the game was over. I don't know how that can be pinned on Ray being outplayed by Reilly. Oh, and did I mention CJ Gable ran wild?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Normally it's better not to get into a "I'm right no I'm right" dialogue but since the question was posed, "where did Reilly outplayed him (Ray)?", I'll attempt to answer the query.

Ray played an excellent game as his stats of 76.2% completions, for 362 yards demonstrated but when the chips were down, he didn't match Reilly's performance of a late 4th quarter 74 yard drive, which included 2 successful third down plays.

Ray's play did not lose the game for the Argos. Gable's 104 yards against Whitaker's 39 had more to do with it. Jackson's crucial 6th season fumble also didn't help. The very questionable PI call against Darby also hurt Argo's chance of winning.

There is no question that both Ray and Reilly had great games but if one has to judge which QB did more to win the game, then it was Reilly with his last minute heroics.

Others have come to the same conclusion, as one reporter wrote "Reilly outgunned Ray" or as another commented "---Reilly's another clutch performance in winning the game".

It is probably true that Reilly didn't outplay Ray until the very end of the game but that was when it meant the most.

Anyway, that is my take on the issue but I respect others who may have a different opinion. It's also my last word on the issue

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Not to denigrate in any way Ray's performance this year, as he has performed admirably but age and injuries have further reduced his somewhat limited mobility. In Saturday's game we saw a younger more mobile Reilly outplay him when it mattered most. Ray is still capable of playing brilliant football, as we saw late in the game against Hamilton. However, as others have stated, change at QB must come sooner or later and the danger of waiting too long, might well result in a similar situation that Montreal found itself in after Calvillo retired.

Ray has had a great year and could perhaps hang on another year or two but that could be at the expense of the team developing the next first string QB. Hopefully the team can get first place and then go on to play in the GC. That swan song, would be an excellent time for Ray to retire.

A well thought and rational post Shatto. Ricky Ray has had a very good season, but the Argos would be insane not to consider what you have mentioned above. It's what they do. Or, it's what good managers do. Bad managers only react to right now. Good managers get *in front* of the curve. In fact, if we're going to move forward with Ricky, it should not be at a starters rate. Time to bolster up and have a 1-A and 1-B situation next season (or another full out starter). I'd like Ricky to be a part of that equation and I believe it is fully possible given RR's desire to learn how to coach. What better way than to have 2 QB's with lots of coaching experience to learn from?

I think Ricky is comfortable with the Argos and Marc Trestman. I think Ricky is a rational, team driven performer. I think Ricky is a realist.

It'll have to be an incentives contract for RR next season, or I too believe this team will cost itself in positive progression moving forward into some very crucial seasons in Toronto.