Wally's recent comment that "I didn't come back to coach to put myself through this misery. I came back because I felt the franchise needed to be stable." has much more to do with the instability created by Braley's ownership than with the player personnel on the field. It all sounds depressingly familiar to Argo fans. That's why I posted on the Double Blue website.

Somehow, their football issues seem almost trivial compared to their off-field dilemma where owner David Braley is, theoretically, trying to sell the team in what is likely Buono’s last year on the job. And did we mention the Lions are in need of a new president? ...
“This is miserable,” [Buono] said. “You think I’m having fun? You think I need the money? Come on. I don’t need any of this.” ... "Believe me, I know (about the problems) more than anybody. I’m the only one here. We have no president and David (Braley) has a lot of things he’s dealing with. He’s trusting me.”
But, while revealing, Buono’s angst isn’t really the issue. Looking forward, the Lions can’t begin to address their difficulties until the team is sold, a new president is appointed and Buono’s successor is named. You have to admit, solving all that is a little more complicated than finding a new field corner or free safety, so where do things sit now with the sale of the team? ...
Braley has told CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie — more intrigue, the league has taken a great interest in the Lions’ file — there are three separate entities interested in buying the Lions and all are legitimate. Now, we can’t provide details on two of the parties, other than to report the interest of Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini has waned, but we can tell you the third is a group made up of The Waterboys, the support network established by the late, great Bob Ackles, and they satisfy a lot of the criteria Braley set down for the new owners. ...

The Waterboys group — which is headed by car magnate Moray Keith and insurance man Mark Woodall — has already made several pitches to the Hamilton-based industrialist and presented scenarios where he maintains an interest in the team or is bought out all together.
But their efforts have yet to result in anything concrete, and that raises questions. Part of the problem is likely over the perceived value of the franchise.
One source said if Braley would have gotten $20 million for the Lions, the deal would likely be concluded by now. ...

That leaves one other explanation, and it’s disturbing. There’s some thought that, despite his public statements, Braley won’t sell the team. Instead, he’ll hang on and try to talk Buono into another year, and that would spell disaster for the Lions. The 2017 season has been bad enough but you can imagine going through it again; a year with a lame-duck GM and head coach, a year when the business-side is under-funded; a year when there’s no clear direction for the future. Another year of that would leave wounds from which the franchise might never recover. Braley has always said his concern is about the health and well-being of the Lions.
Now it’s time to prove it.
http://theprovince.com/sports/footba...miserable-year